Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: ND & CPL filters - which ones?

  1. #1

    Default ND & CPL filters - which ones?

    I'm going to Japan and want to get both a ND & Circular Polarising Filter to shoot outdoors. Any brand to recommend? Is it better/cheaper to get in Japan?

  2. #2

    Default Re: ND & CPL filters - which ones?

    I know Hoya makes these but any other brands to recommend?

  3. #3
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: ND & CPL filters - which ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by electron View Post
    I know Hoya makes these but any other brands to recommend?
    Many others. B+W, Cokin, Singh Ray, Lee, Hitech, Nikon ..

    They are actually very easy to get off singapore shops. Why not get them locally and have a feel of how to use them before going to japan and figure them when u are shooting on the go.

    I cannot think of any reason why I would want to go there to Japan to buy any particular japanese brand for now. Not sure if they sell the other higher end filters at a cheaper price

    Ryan

  4. #4

    Default Re: ND & CPL filters - which ones?

    Probably have a tougher time getting Hoya over in Japan. Kenkos are sold there more commonly (same parent company).
    I second Ryan's suggestion on getting a feel of it first here, you may not like how it turns, the thickness, how it looks, how it rests on the front of your lens, etc; who knows.
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

  5. #5

    Default Re: ND & CPL filters - which ones?

    Got a Sunpack Polarising lens from Hong Kong 2 days ago only to find out it's NOT a Circular Polarising one! It was my own fault for not making sure the guy gave me a C-PL even tho I did ask for the circular version. Lesson learnt the hard way. So, I guess it's pretty much useless on my Canon 450d ?

  6. #6
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: ND & CPL filters - which ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by electron View Post
    Got a Sunpack Polarising lens from Hong Kong 2 days ago only to find out it's NOT a Circular Polarising one! It was my own fault for not making sure the guy gave me a C-PL even tho I did ask for the circular version. Lesson learnt the hard way. So, I guess it's pretty much useless on my Canon 450d ?
    Must be a rude shock for you

    Thats why I prefer to get things I am familiar with from reputable sellers especially if online. So what did this *Sunpack Polarising lens* turn out to be? From google keyword search it seemed like it is a circular polariser.

    Ryan

  7. #7

    Default Re: ND & CPL filters - which ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Must be a rude shock for you

    Thats why I prefer to get things I am familiar with from reputable sellers especially if online. So what did this *Sunpack Polarising lens* turn out to be? From google keyword search it seemed like it is a circular polariser.

    Ryan
    Sorry Typo! I meant "Sunpack Polarising Filter" not lens. So I googled it just now and not only did i get the wrong type of filter, it seems Sunpack are not a recommended brand for filters at all! Double mistake

    And yes, it was a rude shock when i got back home to discover my error. The guy in the shop was rude too. Hong Kong Style. Never intended to buy anything really but he seemed like scolding while explaining! Bit of a culture shock as I was just in Japan the where everyone was so polite the day before.

    My question is - if i use this Linear Polarising Filter on my autofocus TTL metering 450D, what will happen?
    Last edited by electron; 11th June 2008 at 08:40 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: ND & CPL filters - which ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by electron View Post
    Sorry Typo! I meant%
    Your AF might not work. Even if your AF works, the split beam is also used for the metering sensor and can be inaccurate. The linearly polarised light entering TTL can *blind* the beam splitters and semi silver mirrors in the camera and defunct the AF and metering.

    Although there are claims here and there on other forums stating that theirs can work somehow with certain linear polarisers, my advise is still to get the circular ones.

    Ryan
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 11th June 2008 at 08:51 AM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: ND & CPL filters - which ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Your AF might not work. Even if your AF works, the split beam is also used for the metering sensor and can be inaccurate.

    Although there are claims here and there on other forums stating that theirs can work somehow with certain linear polarisers, my advise is still to get the circular ones.

    Ryan
    Thanks Ryan, at least I know it won't mess up anything inside my camera. Btw, what brand CPL do you use (if you have one)? And how much do they normally cost? I got the Sunpack for $55.

  10. #10
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: ND & CPL filters - which ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by electron View Post
    Thanks Ryan, at least I know it won't mess up anything inside my camera. Btw, what brand CPL do you use (if you have one)? And how much do they normally cost? I got the Sunpack for $55.
    I got a Nikon Slim CPL II for the 77mm end, and a B+W Fpro MRC for the 52mm end. Any other lens diameters in between I use step up rings to the 77mm.

  11. #11

    Default Re: ND & CPL filters - which ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    I got a Nikon Slim CPL II for the 77mm end, and a B+W Fpro MRC for the 52mm end. Any other lens diameters in between I use step up rings to the 77mm.
    I just visited your photoblog. May I commend you on your awe inspiring shots! Also, detailing your settings for all to see is a great learning tool and would benefit many. Thanks for the tips.

    I think I'm gonna go and get Singh Ray Soft Step GND filters now! And steel myself for ungodly waking hours!

    Ben

  12. #12
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: ND & CPL filters - which ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by electron View Post
    I just visited your photoblog. May I commend you on your awe inspiring shots! Also, detailing your settings for all to see is a great learning tool and would benefit many. Thanks for the tips.

    I think I'm gonna go and get Singh Ray Soft Step GND filters now! And steel myself for ungodly waking hours!

    Ben

    Still adding stuffs. Glad you like them.
    Anything can pm me and see what i can do to help

    Ryan

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •