Thread: Anyone bought DSLR from MBK shops before ?

Default Anyone bought DSLR from MBK shops before ?

I am currently in Bangkok and saw a few small stalls selling the Canon EOS 40D body for 32000 baht which is roughly S$1390 and thought it was a pretty good deal. The lady also told me that it comes with International Warranty. So far as I remembered, Canon DSLR bodies only came with local warranties and not international ones. Anyone had experience buying from MBK (Mah Boon Krong) before ?

Default Re: Anyone bought DSLR from MBK shops before ?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTan89 View Post
    I am currently in Bangkok and saw a few small stalls selling the Canon EOS 40D body for 32000 baht which is roughly S$1390 and thought it was a pretty good deal. The lady also told me that it comes with International Warranty. So far as I remembered, Canon DSLR bodies only came with local warranties and not international ones. Anyone had experience buying from MBK (Mah Boon Krong) before ?
    mmmm.... OT a bit....do they sell Sony A700 too? hehe
    G

Well, as you know.. At the slightest hint of danger, move away.
    Meow!

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla60 View Post
    mmmm.... OT a bit....do they sell Sony A700 too? hehe
    Dun bother bro. The prices in Thailand is not really attractive. Better to get from China/HK.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Maybe you can also check at Panthip Plaza and compare

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTan89 View Post
    If the shop you mention is at level 1, then it is named "FotoFile Group". It not only retails new products but also sells used products. The Canon 40D that you saw could be a used product, that's why the price (please don't ask me about prices of other products). When the sales girl spoke with you, make sure you asked if the unit is new or used. Judge from there. Used cameras have warranties less than a year or it could be expired already.

Buying used camera in that shop (actually that is the only shop I know in Bangkok that sells used cameras and lenses), you have to overcome the fear of defects in the product because the shop only provides basic functionality tests and visual inspection when they buy over from the users. There could be internal defects which they (the sales or the technicians) could never tell without proper instrumentation examinations or by a trained personnel.

Good luck.
    Speaking of ART is USELESS if one cannot FEEL anything.
    My Photo Albums

Well I bought my 40D for $1,425 which is not too much more than $1,390 but at least I have a shop warranty for 1 year and can bring it back to the shop in Peninsula if anything goes wrong. My 2 cents!

If you do intend to buy from that shop, don't forget to bring your passport to show you are a tourist and to fill up the tax refund form in the shop. You can get back some money from the BKK airport before departure.

Having said that, if Singapore Customs finds your new SLR, they will charge you
    7% GST!

Sorry OT abit.... how about accessories and camera bag? Is it cheaper in fotofile? Domke?

i just came back from thailand ydae... mbk sux for buying cam stuffs... dun waste ur time looking at their cam shops, spend ur time looking at the pretty thai girls instead
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

fotofile got nice bags!

i think customs wont charge you if you are overseas for more than 24 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by k3nshinx View Post
    fotofile got nice bags!

Cheaper than here??

The only good thing about MBK camera shops is the Canon store on level 5....... They have practically the entire range of L lenses. Except for maybe the 1200mm....

Saw some guys playing with the 600mm and the 400mm....

As an expat in Bangkok, I feel that those who have posted about getting ripped off in MBK have been very unfortunate and probably bought from small stalls and not larger, dedicated camera shops.
    MBK is the best place to go for cameras. It is better than Pantip Plaza and Fortune Town.
    There are at least 4 very good, dedicated camera shops at MBK and I honestly feel none would rip you off.
    Foto File on ground floor, Big Pro Camera, Foto Thailand, Sunny's etc are all legitimate shops and I buy all my stuff from them without issue.
    The poster who said "Go to Hong Kong" is silly. You'd not pay to go to Hong Kong just to get a camera, so his / her comment is only valid if one is already there or planning to go, BUT you're MUCH more likely to get ripped off in Hong Kong and prices fluctuate there by hundreds of dollars leaving you completely unsure of where to buy.
    MBK is a good place to get your camera equipment. Prices might be higher than HK or even Singapore, but with a VAT refund things might work out OK.
    For more information, you could always go to:http://www.thebangkokshoppingguide.c...era_in_bangkok