Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: very underexposed pics

Default Re: very underexposed pics

yes, that's right. manual is telling you how to use the camera and flash, not teaching you how to shoot good photos.

the Nikon flash default setting is TTL BL, many people using this setting to take photos in indoor with very dim ambient light. all the photos come out KNS.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    when you use your flash as main light, you use TTL, the exposure balance between flash light and ambient light is not your main concern.

when you want to balance the exposure of ambient light and flash light, you use TTL-BL, do note the flash by default will not brighter than ambient light when you using this mode, so if you are shooting at a very dim ambient light environment and your flash is set at this mode................... very good luck to you.
    Catchlights,
    your explanation is very clear. Thanks! Like to know more about TTL-BL....

when shooting at very dim ambient environment, the metering system should still try to properly expose the shot(to a reasonable extent), so for that reason, the flash at TTL-BL mode should fire at a power that would match that of the ambient exposure. Why should there be a "very" underexposed shot?

I tried using TTL-BL mode in dark ambient before but I cant recall getting very under-exposed shot(I did experience under exposed shot but not too bad). Did I miss out anything?

Thanks.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by CT 3833 View Post
    Catchlights,

when shooting at very dim ambient environment, the metering system should still try to properly expose the shot(to a reasonable extent), so for that reason, the flash at TTL-BL mode should fire at a power that would match that of the ambient exposure. Why should there be a "very" underexposed shot?

I tried using TTL-BL mode in dark ambient before but I cant recall getting very under-exposed shot(I did experience under exposed shot but not too bad). Did I miss out anything?

Thanks.
    Because u noe ur stuff..judging from wat u wrote..u must be shooting in manual mode(camera)..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Quote Originally Posted by CT 3833 View Post
    Catchlights,

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    Because u noe ur stuff..judging from wat u wrote..u must be shooting in manual mode(camera)..
    shooting with manual mode, photographer may meter the ambient, or make it one or two stops under then flash or just ignore the exposure for the ambient light, but when you using A or P mode, unless you set at slow sync, the camera shutter will drop till 1/60 sec max, and the flash will try to match the ambient, but not over power the ambient.
    Last edited by catchlights; 29th May 2008 at 10:02 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

hmmm...havent tried playing with TTL-BL...will try it out this evening.

But based on the above information, if exposure control on the camera is set to manual, it is still possible to get a perfectly good shot in TTL-BL mode even in low ambient lighting conditions. Just speculation on my part...will test it out tonight.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by osocan View Post
    hmmm...havent tried playing with TTL-BL...will try it out this evening.

But based on the above information, if exposure control on the camera is set to manual, it is still possible to get a perfectly good shot in TTL-BL mode even in low ambient lighting conditions. Just speculation on my part...will test it out tonight.
    That is why it has been stressed many times over the forum..manual mode is the way to go with flash photography..

That is why it has been stressed many times over the forum..manual mode is the way to go with flash photography..
    I know

My response was for that general statement implying that TTL-BL will give underexposed shots in low ambient lighting.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    when you use your flash as main light, you use TTL, the exposure balance between flash light and ambient light is not your main concern.

when you want to balance the exposure of ambient light and flash light, you use TTL-BL, do note the flash by default will not brighter than ambient light when you using this mode, so if you are shooting at a very dim ambient light environment and your flash is set at this mode................... very good luck to you.
    thanks man! straight to the point!

Everyone got different understanding and interpretation on reading..instead of typing text directing ppl to read manual..y not type some text and share some knowledge here?
    Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    Uhh, why not try reading the manual first, and then come here to ask for clarification instead?
    The question to me is very direct, and is seeking clarification..it has nothing to do with reading the manual.

"what's the different kinda situation that i should engage TTL and TTL-BL?"

That's is all written in the user manual about TTL-BL. Nothing mention about the kind of situation to use TTL-BL.

SB800 Manual is here -> http://www.nycv.com/manuals/Nikon/SB800_en.pdf
    SB600 Manual is here -> http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/...hts/SB-600.pdf

Can you please share with me which page which paragraph tells you for different kind of situation use which mode of flash?
    Geez, I never looked at the question, and I never said that the question is answered in the manual. I just find your confrontary post a bit annoying. That's all.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    Geez, I never looked at the question, and I never said that the question is answered in the manual. I just find your confrontary post a bit annoying. That's all.
    me ish bad..sorry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12