Thread: camera without drybox?

Default camera without drybox?

hi all, may i know the maximum recommended time that one should leave their camera out in the open without a drybox?
    Canon EOS 40D + BG-E2N, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 17-40mm f/4L USM, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

Default Re: camera without drybox?

i guess there is no maximum time... your camera(s) would just be at risk of fungus growing in it.
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

well if u keep using it regularly and don't leave the camera in a dark and damp place, the camera should be relatively safe from fungus.....
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

Quote Originally Posted by smirnon View Post
    hi all, may i know the maximum recommended time that one should leave their camera out in the open without a drybox?
    Please define "open". Your place? Aircon Room? Table in Kopitiam? Pasir Ris Beach? The maximum time for the cam to get stolen could be shorter than the time till fungus grows
    Seriously, it depends on a lot of factors, there is no limit given by anybody. Sunlight and fresh air will slow down fungus growth. Darkness, humidity and air standing still will help the fungus. So just compare with what you mean by "in the open". But in the long run a drybox or dry cabinet is the better way in Singapore climate.

The people at Nikon told me that anything more than 3 days, there will be the possibility of fungus growing.
    Hasselblad 503CW | 100mm f/3.5 CF | Contax 645 | Zeiss 80mm f/2 | Website

Before i got my dry cabinet, i used to put all my equipment and ex-lenses in my camera bag for over a year and fortunately no fungus at all. But don't follow me.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Before i got my dry cabinet, i used to put all my equipment and ex-lenses in my camera bag for over a year and fortunately no fungus at all. But don't follow me.
    haha! wow thats long.. i'm going on board a ship for 2 months with my camera and lenses so im wondering if its ok to do so without a dry box.. hmm..
    Canon EOS 40D + BG-E2N, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 17-40mm f/4L USM, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

haha! wow thats long.. i'm going on board a ship for 2 months with my camera and lenses so im wondering if its ok to do so without a dry box.. hmm..
    U should as sea water is highly corrosive. U should also clean your DSLR and lenses externally everyday.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    U should as sea water is highly corrosive. U should also clean your DSLR and lenses externally everyday.
    i'll be in a ship, like cruise that kind? wun be affected by seawater right?

Nope it shouldn't. If you are gonna be using it regularly, you have no need to be afraid of fungus growth; leaving it inactive in a dark and damp place, however, will encourage fungus growth.

Just use your camera and if possible every lens, every day, any time u wanna shoot! And expose more to sunlight!

Drybox is meant for long-term inactive storage, not for people to put in the gears everyday after shooting, right?

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Just use your camera and if possible every lens, every day, any time u wanna shoot! And expose more to sunlight!

Drybox is meant for long-term inactive storage, not for people to put in the gears everyday after shooting, right?
    thanks! that being said, whats a good humidity level to put the gears in? recently found out that the foam for my b+w filter started disintegrating after leaving it in the drycab of about 30% for 2 months o.O probably was too dry

put it at a range between 45-55% should be alright for the lens and camera
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

thanks! that being said, whats a good humidity level to put the gears in? recently found out that the foam for my b+w filter started disintegrating after leaving it in the drycab of about 30% for 2 months o.O probably was too dry
    Wow..If you intend to do tat for a long term u will be seeing all the rubbers turning crispy...

If u're inside the ship it's ok. But if u're outside then it's a different story.