Thread: DSLR help!

Default DSLR help!

i am new to photography. i am looking into purchasing nikon D60 but after reading this forum, i am very unsure. i had been using D40 and so far its ok(bias since im new). is d60 a recommended entry level? is there any diff between D40 and D60? any say on Canon eos450d? been comtemplating on getting it rather den a D60.

Default Re: DSLR help!

uhh.... why don't you just run a comparision between the 2 on the nikon website? Cos the D60 has some preety different features...

In case you don't know how... which is prolly why yr asking here... here's the link:
    http://http://www.nikon.com.sg/compa...976-3f08245016

but for how long have you been using the D40? If you have been using it for over a year, why not upgrade from an 'entry-level' to a 'Midrange' DSLR model? If you think you can handle and more complicated interface or are willing to learn how to, why not get sth like a D80?

Quote Originally Posted by fru-labu View Post
    any say on Canon eos450d? been comtemplating on getting it rather den a D60.
    Since you said that, I assume you haven't bought any nikon-lens. Well, if thats the case, Go ahead and do some research on the 450D, then try out both the D60 and 450D at a decent shop and see which one 'fits' you the best.

Just remember ( quote frm another CS-er =P ) 'when you buy a DSLR, you are buying a system' or sth liddat . If you go Canon, remember that you can't buy nikon lens for yr body or vice-versa.

Perhaps you can tell us more abt what kinda camera you what and how you intend to use it? That'll help

Whats wrong with your D40?

i am new to photography. i am looking into purchasing nikon D60 but after reading this forum, i am very unsure. i had been using D40 and so far its ok(bias since im new). is d60 a recommended entry level? is there any diff between D40 and D60? any say on Canon eos450d? been comtemplating on getting it rather den a D60.
    If you don't know the difference, stick to your D40.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

oh yes i did the comparison on the website. was wondering if anyone could give a "tried-n-tested" difference between the two.

been using d40 since last dec. but it belongs to my sis so i only use it occasionally.

i want to start photography as a hobby. so its more for leisure kinda.

why not buy a 2nd hand D40 from BnS section? Much cheaper way to get started.
    My dad owns a D40, and I've also tried the D60 at the shops. Honestly I don't think there's a huge difference.
    The benefit of VR (on the D60's kit lens) is minimal at short focal lengths and with sufficient ambient lighting.
    Unless of course you REALLY need 10MP...

nah...10MP is nt a must frankly... wif DSLR sensor, i tink 5MP is gd alr... im happy wif my 6MP...

i feel the TS shud also consider feel and also what other features he wants that is not on the D40...
    Pentax K100D Super

yeah exactly. In my opinion, 10MP is way overkill for a beginner to DSLR photography.
    So TS (Mr fru-labu), do share with us what kind of criteria you would apply to your DSLR purchase.

For example:
    1) budget: $7K
    2) preferred camera size: LARGE, with purpose-built vertical grip
    3) sensor resolution: 12MP and above, FX

Solution: EASY PEASY! D3!

i want to start photography as a hobby. so its more for leisure kinda.
    ahh...i see wonderful to hear that.

anyway, like ZerocoolAstra & adiknaim have mentioned, the D60 is just kind of an 'upgrade' of the D40, no 'sigificant' differences (i don't think 10mgp will matter much to you)

if u have access to the D40 then no pt buying a D60... not much difference...
    save the $$, buy some lens to play wif
    Both are entry level.
    if upgrade get D300 ...
    ;) L-plate Photog: I come, I see, I shoot

I suggest tat you practise more on this camera and get the relations of the ISO, Shutter speed and Aperture right first...

The difference between the D60 and D40 is quite low. There are still no focusing motors inside and you still have to use AF-S lenses or else you lose the AF.

No point getting ANOTHER entry level camera now. Practise and get the hang of things before you plan on the next camera body. I would suggest D80 later on when you have a good feel of things.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

i had been using D40 and so far its ok(bias since im new).
    Hi fru-labu

Like what you have mentioned there is nothing wrong with your D40. Is there any additional features you need from your shooting habits that the D40 is deficient in.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    I suggest tat you practise more on this camera and get the relations of the ISO, Shutter speed and Aperture right first...

The difference between the D60 and D40 is quite low. There are still no focusing motors inside and you still have to use AF-S lenses or else you lose the AF.

No point getting ANOTHER entry level camera now. Practise and get the hang of things before you plan on the next camera body. I would suggest D80 later on when you have a good feel of things.
    so yes ive been havin alot of discussion on the model and D80 would be just fine.
    since there are not much difference between D60 and D40 then i suppose gettin a D60 would be a waste of money! omg finally! i could actually do price hunting!

now any shops anyone know of that gives the best price?

So you've decided on D80? Based on what criteria though?

If your heart is firmly set on D80, might I suggest waiting for the upcoming PC Show if you want to get some additional freebies?
    Or how about D80 body only 2nd hand from BnS section, then adding lenses as you deem suitable...?

Oops off topic.
    Last edited by Lujke85; 28th May 2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Off topic

so yes ive been havin alot of discussion on the model and D80 would be just fine.
    since there are not much difference between D60 and D40 then i suppose gettin a D60 would be a waste of money! omg finally! i could actually do price hunting!

now any shops anyone know of that gives the best price?
    Check Nikon sub-forum.

There is a price guide. And a list of telephone numbers to call for the shops in SG.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

little note:
    the listed shops are dedicated camera equipment shops but you may also wanna do some scouting in other departmental shops like Best Denki or harvey norman. They tend to sell SLR bodies at lower prices than in these dedicated shops

However, the extra cost of buying frm a camera shop can be 'paid' if you bargain for discounts on other equipment you buy frm the same shop

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    little note:
    the listed shops are dedicated camera equipment shops but you may also wanna do some scouting in other departmental shops like Best Denki or harvey norman. They tend to sell SLR bodies at lower prices than in these dedicated shops

However, the extra cost of buying frm a camera shop can be 'paid' if you bargain for discounts on other equipment you buy frm the same shop
    Is it ? i thought they ( Best Denki / Harvey Norman ) peg their products at a higher price and throw in more freebies that you often do not need, or throw in an uber long extended warranty.

Watever the case is, need to do some research and calling to check prices and compare. Do not end up getting pushed into buying extra accessories (such as a wide angle adapter ) that are not too useful

Ryan
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 29th May 2008 at 07:44 AM.