Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 256789121732 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Default Re: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Should post them in the liverpool thread!

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    So fast available in singapore liao?
    What I mean is when they hit our shores who is keen?

I def go to Peninsula to buy

Think the jerseys will arrive soon. Normally goes on sale in July before the season starts.

lol that Liv jersery is hilarious!

Papers: Ron saga is 'dangerous'

Ronaldo: The Real danger man
    The Cristiano Ronaldo saga is “dangerous" for football according to one of the most influential figures in the game. German legend and Bayern Munich president Karl-Heinz Rummenigge last night launched a scathing attack on Real Madrid’s attempts to prise Ronaldo away from Manchester United. He fully backed United’s ‘no sale whatever the offer’ stance, insisting that if Real’s £80million bid to force Ronaldo to break his contract were successful, it would have terrible implications for game. “I can’t believe a club like Real Madrid can force a player like Ronaldo to cause such tension because the price that they will have to pay is too high for everyone," he said. "I think that this is dangerous for world football. Each club have to find their own way of dealing with these things in these cases. I would like to see Ronaldo stay at the club for the benefit of everyone. The rules are clear and Manchester United have a very strong contract with the player. Besides, if Sir Alex Ferguson says no, then he means no.”
    Richard Tanner, Daily Express

Ronaldo has already chosen a house in Madrid ahead of his proposed move to Spain, according to reports in Spain.

The Daily Mail believe Arsenal have entered the race for Sporting Lisbon midfielder Miguel Veloso. The 22-year-old has attracted interest from United, AC Milan and Juventus.

Round up by Gemma Thompson

Reds to release youngsters

The club have announced that five of their Reserve team members and two of their Academy scholars have been granted free transfers.

Midfielders Michael Barnes, Sean Evans and Ritchie Jones and defenders Kieran Lee and Michael Lea are all free to leave Old Trafford as of 30 June.

Academy striker Chris Fagan and fellow scholar Conor McCormack have also been released.

The club would like to wish each player all the best for the future.

Saha vows to prove fitness

Louis Saha is determined to stay and fight for his place after another injury-disrupted campaign at United.

The striker made just 24 appearances last term and was forced to withdraw from the Reds’ Champions League final squad at the 11th hour with a calf problem.

It was another frustrating end to the season for the Frenchman, who has suffered a series of injury setbacks since arriving from Fulham in January 2004.

Reports have linked Saha with a summer move away from Old Trafford, but the 29-year-old insists that proving his fitness to Sir Alex Ferguson is his sole priority.

"I am under contract at Manchester until 2010," he told France Football. "Furthermore, the coach has not said anything to me yet, either about a transfer or a loan.

"I don't hide anything. I will say it again: I have to play before thinking about anything else. I will predict nothing before knowing what will happen for me.

"I am a football player and I have not been able to play. Today, only the pitch matters to me.

"I have worked all summer long. There are facilities close to my home so I have worked with a specific programme. I know what I want – to be fit for the start of the season."

Round up by James Tuck

Saha vows to prove fitness

He have been saying it for the past few seasons leh!

Winger open to Blades offer

Lee Martin admits he is playing a waiting game over his United career, with talks over his future looming large.

The 21-year-old winger expects to meet Sir Alex Ferguson this week and, should he be told that his future lies away from Old Trafford, Martin would love to return to Sheffield United after last season's successful loan.

"I'm still at United and it's a matter of going back on the first of July and speaking to the gaffer," Martin told the Yorkshire Evening Post.

"It's all up in the air and nothing has been said yet. It's a bit weird and just a waiting game at the minute. I enjoyed my time at Sheffield United and would definitely go back if an offer came in. But it's out of my hands."

Martin was impressed with the Blades' set-up during his brief stay in Sheffield, and he has no doubt that they belong back in England's top flight.

"They definitely have a great chance," he said. "I think they have got one of the strongest squads in the Championship and with the gaffer, Kevin Blackwell, they've got a really talented manager.

"It's a massive club which belongs in the Premiership. They know they have to get there next season and after such a strong finish under Kevin they will fancy their chances."

Man U "might" be in problem this season.

I m a TRUE BLOOD Man u FAN since Cantona Era

Part 1: The Solskjaer story

Inside United looks back on the life and times of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, in appreciation of his glittering 11-year, 126-goal Reds' career…

‘OLE WHO?’
    It was the phone call Age Hareide had been dreading. The Molde boss knew how good Ole Solskjaer was, the question was when – not if – the big clubs would come calling. "Sir Alex phoned me up a lot to get my opinion on players in Norway," Hareide said. "He knew I knew the English scene and wanted my views on certain players and how they might do in England. Then, finally [July 1996] came the day when the call was about one of my players. Sir Alex asked about Ole Gunnar. I knew we’d miss him badly, but you can't stand in a player's way when Manchester United come along. "I told him: `You've got to sign him.' And he did. United got him for £1.5 million! I think they owe me some money considering what they got!”

FIRST AND LAST
    For Ole and United, it was love at first sight. Little hoopla surrounded his move, but that changed fast. The first indication we’d got ourselves a baby-faced assassin came at Oldham’s Boundary Park, Ole bagging both in a 2-0 win for the Reserves. Then, days later, he came on as a substitute, with United trailing Blackburn at Old Trafford. Entering the fray in the 64th minute, he equalised just six minutes later to preserve an unbeaten 32-game home streak in a 2-2 draw. He hasn’t forgotten either occasion. “Both those matches are firmly stuck in my mind,” he said. “It was a very proud moment to be wearing the Red shirt for the first time, even if it was only a Reserves fixture. To then score at Old Trafford was so special. I’ll always treasure the memory of those two matches.”

DON’T LEAVE US THIS WAY…
    You don’t become United’s top goalscorer in your first season without having other clubs swarm round you when you’re not in the team. In 1997/98, Ole was linked with a host of Europe’s finest, and our worst fears almost came true. Thankfully, he knows his own mind. "I remember talking to my agent a lot about a move to Spurs and he said I was the most stubborn player in the world," he recalls. "The two clubs had agreed a fee – I’ve still got the fax at home! It would have been easy to be pressurised into something like that, but I didn’t want to go and the manager kept telling me I’d get my chance, and he was true to his word. It was the pride of playing for the best club in the country. I wanted to be part of that.”

FIRST AMONG EQUALS
    Ole came to win trophies and, after nine months, 33 starts and 18 goals had not only finished the campaign as United’s top scorer (19 all told), he had his first Premiership winners’ medal. “It was the first time I’d won anything in football, apart from an under-11 or under-12 district championship,” he recalls. “That Tuesday was wonderful, when I sat in front of my telly and watched West Ham versus Newcastle and Wimbledon’s clash with Liverpool. Ronny [Johnsen] called after the final whistle – we stood there screaming at each other like madmen. It was marvellous. I wanted more of that wonderful feeling.” And boy, did he get it…

TAKING ONE FOR THE TEAM
    With just four games left of the 1997/98 campaign, a United win against Newcastle was paramount to keep a Red-hot poker up Arsenal’s backside. Most fans remember the game – a tough 1-1 draw – for another iconic moment fresh from the bench, but of an X-rated variety. Having come close to scoring a dramatic winner, Ole’s goalbound effort beating Shay Given before it was blocked on the line by Nikos Dabizas, Rob Lee broke free for Newcastle with the game almost up. A goal would have virtually handed the Gunners the title. Ole tracked back with the determination of a greyhound on speed and took Lee out of the game with a challenge best described as agricultural. Out of character, sure, but desperate times call for desperate measures. As Uriah Rennie branished a straight red card, the TV camera caught Ole mouthing the words, “I had to do it,” to David Beckham. He knew what his challenge did for the side’s slender chances of catching Arsenal and retaining the title – and we’ve never forgotten it.

BACK IN THE WINTER OF ‘99
    “It is my dream to score against Liverpool. My dream would be to score the winner in a 1-0 victory in the 90th minute at Old Trafford.” Ole’s dream came true – if the scoreline was slightly askew – on a memorable afternoon in January 1999 of the Treble-winning season. Liverpool led 1-0 through Michael Owen’s goal and, despite huffing and puffing, we couldn’t bring the house down. As Liverpool’s celebrations began to get into full swing, with two minutes left, Dwight Yorke levelled the scores. Shredded nerves restored, silence in the away end. Then pandemonium everywhere else. The 90 minutes were up when Ole swooped for a late winner – once again he was the opiate of the people, fully five months before repeating the feat in the greatest comeback since Matt Busby and the boys of ‘68.

FOUR-MIDABLE
    Hat-tricks anywhere these days are about as frequent as long-serving City managers, but Ole could make the task look easier than shelling peas. Against Nottingham Forest on 6 February 1999 he executed as deadly an example of finishing as you’ll see. He not only scored four goals, he did so in the 19 minutes available to him. "Good job they didn't put him on earlier," mused Forest boss Ron Atkinson. So nonchalant was Ole’s performance, he looked almost embarrassed. The 8-1 – yes, 8-1 – remains the Premiership’s biggest away win.

NOU ORDER
    While the rest of us panicked, crossing what remained of our gnawed fingers, Ole was the calm at the eye of the Nou Camp storm. He was in the know, y’see. “It’s hard to explain, it was just a feeling,” he said of that staggering Treble-clinching climax. “It’s about positive thinking, maybe; you always visualise yourself scoring, so perhaps that’s all it was. But it was a little bit of a stronger feeling. I don’t know why. The goal? It’s one of those that you score one time out of five if you’re lucky, because you haven’t practised that finish. You just do it, you guide the ball on. More often that not it goes over the bar or it's cleared by the man on the far post. There were so many things that could have gone wrong with that finish… it was just instinct.” Killer instinct.

Part 2: The Solskjaer story

Part Two of Inside United's look back on the life and times of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, in appreciation of his glittering 11-year, 126-goal Reds' career…

CAN SCORE FOUR, TOFFEES
    Few players ever score four in a game, fewer do it twice in the space of nine months. United were one down against Everton in December 1999, but levelled quickly through Denis Irwin. Then the fun began. Two minutes after the equaliser, Ole had put United ahead. Racing past David Weir he slid the ball past Paul Gerrard’s despairing dive to watch it trickle over the line. Minutes before half-time and deja vu, Everton let United through again. Solskjaer – one on one, following a brief catnap from Weir – duly made it 3-1. Three became four when he converted Irwin’s cross for his hat-trick – completing the rout when he tidied up the mess Gerrard left behind following Giggs’ run and shot.

CENTURY BOY
    We’d come a long way from ‘Ole who?’ Seven glorious years, in fact. Ironically, given his precision finishing, there was some doubt about when his 100th goal in Red had actually arrived. “After the Bayer Leverkusen game (November 2002) I was told UEFA wanted to give the goal to me, but took it away because my shot would probably have gone for a throw-in,” he remembers. “Well, it wasn’t that bad, but it wasn’t on target. So officially the one against West Brom [January 2003] was the 100th. To me though, it doesn’t really matter which is the 100th goal or the 99th. A goal is a goal.” Such modesty.

THE COMEBACK KID
    An emotionally charged scene on a rainswept, south London night in August 2006: the game against Charlton was already in the bag, but United’s travelling fans celebrated the third and final goal like it was 1999. Their hero was back. Ole had scored for the first time since April 2003 (against Panathinaikos) and shared the love-in with United’s fans in Charlton’s Jimmy Seed Stand. “After three years out it was great for the fans, for the players and the supporters,” Sir Alex Ferguson said in the post-match after-glow. “Ole is a player who has persevered in trying times and he has never lost faith that he would get his repayment one day.

OLE HANGS UP HIS BOOTS
    “When my knee flared up in training it made the decision for me, because it means that I wouldn’t be able to play at the level I want to for this club,” Ole admits. “I also have to think about my long-term health as well. When I was out for so long before, it was always my ambition not only to play again and pull on the United shirt, but I also wanted to lift the Premier League trophy. That was my big dream. So, in that sense, last season was a fantastic experience for me and I’m glad I was able to enjoy that.” Amen.

THE BEST OF THE BEST?
    So many highs, but the Nou Camp aside, which was the peak? Talking to this magazine in 2003, Ole revealed putting one over against the old enemy is always special. “My debut was a big moment, as was the first time we won the league after I arrived. The FA Cup final [in 1999] is a special game. The FA Cup match against Liverpool in the Treble season was a good one, too. The 3-0 away win in Juventus was amazing. That night will always remain special, we scored at crucial times.” So, all in all, it’s fair to see he enjoyed himself.

OLD TRAFFORD
    Ole may be gone – on the pitch at least – but his legend, and his Red flag will fly high, in the stands, and in his heart. “Europe’s great stadiums all have a different feel about them but Old Trafford is home, and that’s special,” he said. “I feel at home at Old Trafford, I really enjoyed playing here, and I’ve never been scared of walking out and playing in front of those huge crowds, because they always want us to do well. For me, there’s nowhere like Old Trafford.”

THE UNITED EXPERIENCE
    We’ve done the maths: 216 starts, plus a further 150 substitute appearances, makes 366 games and a fantastic return of 126 goals – Ole strained every sinew for the United cause. “I think I can say I’ve given my all, given everything I could as a player to Manchester United. I’m proud to have been a part of this fantastic club, and played under such a brilliant manager. I’ve also played alongside some great players and made some great friends here. I’ve had some fantastic experiences that are too numerous to just list here and now.”

RED ARMY LOVE-IN
    “The fans have been magnificent,” says Ole. “The people of Manchester and the club’s fans all around the world have given me a different perspective of how passionate people can be about football. I really have to thank the fans a lot because they have always supported me, not only when I was on the pitch, but also in the more difficult times when I was coming back from injury.

It’s strange to think that I’ll be an old man, and I’ll be meeting United fans, and they’ll still want to talk to me about that goal. I always get asked questions like: ‘How did it feel? You were the one who won it…’ It wasn’t me who won it, the team won it, it wasn’t my touch, it’s what the team did over the season… but never mind.”

AND, FOR MY NEXT TRICK
    In May 2008, Sir Alex revealed that Ole would take charge of United's Reserves from the start of the 2008/09 season. “I’m very excited about working on the other side of the line," he said. "It will be very challenging, which is important, and I’m pleased I’ll make my first steps into coaching at this club. Whenever I’ve thought about coaching I’ve always wanted to work at United, it feels right. But you never know if you’ll be wanted, so when the manager told me there might be a place I was absolutely delighted.” The feeling is mutual.
    Phew... What a journey back to those days!

Quote Originally Posted by KsterK View Post
    Man U "might" be in problem this season.

I m a TRUE BLOOD Man u FAN since Cantona Era

Transfer Rumours: June 08

United's Premier League and Champions League Double seemingly won't stop Sir Alex Ferguson further strengthening his squad this summer - with German winger Bastian Schweinsteiger the latest player to be linked with a switch to Old Trafford.

The 23-year-old impressed during Germany's march to the Euro 2008 final and, according to the Daily Star, is wanted by United and Chelsea for a fee of around £10million.

The UK press continue to link United with a host of European football's top strikers with Lyon's Karim Benzema, Ajax front man Klaas Jan Huntelaar and Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz all being discussed. Prices range from £15million up to £30m.

Papers: Berba targeted
    01/07/2008 07:05Berba Back On Reds' Radar

Dimitar Berbatov has re-emerged as Manchester United's No.1 transfer target. Sir Alex Ferguson tried to sign Berbatov last summer but Tottenham refused to sell the Bulgarian striker. Spurs are still reluctant to let him go and have placed a £30million price tag on his head to deter suitors. But the United boss is ready to make a fresh £23m bid in an effort to team him up with Wayne Rooney. Fergie, who returns to work today before the United squad arrive back for preseason training tomorrow, claims he is unlikely to buy more than one player this summer. He said: "There could be some dialogue, but I wouldn't think any more than one player. I'm looking at one or two things. People think it's easy to buy players nowadays but it's not - money plays a big part. "Clubs with ambition don't want to sell their best players so it's not as easy as you think. We tend to look for younger ones." Although Fergie has around £50m to spend, United are not prepared to pay over the odds for Berbatov, 27.
    David McDonnell, Daily Mirror

The Sun claims Sir Alex will reinforce his striking department by retaining the services of England youth international Fraizer Campbell - although Hull City have first refusal if the United manager opts to sell or loan the youngster.

Tottenham youngster Giovani dos Santos claims he snubbed overtures from United and Chelsea before moving to White Hart Lane, as he was so impressed with Spurs boss Juande Ramos.

Boss eyes sole signing

Sir Alex Ferguson says United are about to become active in the hunt for new players.

Now Euro 2008 has ended, the boss expects the transfer market to belatedly click into gear but says he is unlikely to bring in more than one new face to his double-winning squad.

"The European Championship derails transfer activity," said Sir Alex. "Nothing really happens during the tournament. But now it's all over, managers will be back at their clubs and you can get some dialogue now if there's interest.

"I wouldn't think (we'll sign) any more than one player. We are looking at one or two things."

Sir Alex now has the task of procuring the right player at the right price, a task which invariably proves taxing when faced with reluctant sellers.
    "People think it's easy to buy players nowadays but it's not," he said.

"Money plays a big part, first of all. And clubs with ambitions don't want to sell their best players. So it's not as easy as you'd think. We tend to look for younger players."

Sir Alex was speaking to Sky Sports at the Great Scots Cup charity golf event.

Round up by Steve Bartram

sounds like he is going for Berbatov?
    Last edited by melvin; 1st July 2008 at 05:50 PM.

Part 2: The Solskjaer story

Phew... What a journey back to those days!
    Yes, great story. No one really expect Ole to be so lethal as a sub and he really had saved Man Utd on many occassions. 1 goal down, just throw him in and he will get u a goal or 2. Ole is irreplacable till now.

Boss eyes sole signing

Hmmm got so many strikers, must buy him meh? Dunno what SAF is thinking. I tot he will buy a full back to cover Evra/Brown as Neville and Silvestre din feature last season. Maybe he fancies Simpson to do the job.

Boss eyes sole signing

Ok mah, we need 1 more gd striker. Saha and Dong CMI

perhaps SAF shd sign this guy in place of ronaldo....

watch the video guys....

enjoy...

Ronaldo wannabe

Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 256789121732 ... LastLast