Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254045484950

Thread: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Default Re: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Lets hope the fools & Chelski buang more in the upcoming games.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Lets hope the fools & Chelski buang more in the upcoming games.
    Sure will! when the season get more pack esp chirstmas n new yr period! Till then only the strongest will survive and the only team to prevail from what i see now is none other then

Ron: Simply the best

Cristiano Ronaldo has been awarded the prestigious Ballon d’Or trophy.

The most coveted individual honour in world football, the award recognises Ronaldo’s outstanding performances over the past 12 months.

"I dreamt of this when I was younger," he said. "It's a great day for me and my family."

The Portuguese winger scored 42 goals last season on the way to domestic and European glory with the Reds and was the resounding favourite to win the trophy.

After France Football’s confirmation in the early hours of Tuesday morning, the 23-year-old joins United legends George Best, Denis Law and Bobby Charlton on the award’s honours roll.

Recent winners include Kaka (AC Milan, 2007), Fabio Cannavaro (Juventus/Real Madrid, 2006) and Ronaldinho (Barcelona, 2005).

Ronny is the 42nd different player to pick up the prize, and the third Portuguese after Eusebio’s victory in 1965 and Figo's win in 2000.

"The Ballon d'Or has been won by two great Portuguese players and for me to be part of that history is a great feeling," he added.

Ballon d'Or
    Previously known as the European Footballer of the Year award and presented only to those playing for clubs in Europe, the Ballon d'Or is now open to players around the world.

Last five winners:

2007 – Kaka
    2006 – Fabio Cannavaro
    2005 – Ronaldinho
    2004 – Andriy Shevchenko
    2003 – Pavel Nedved

Other winners from English clubs:

2001 – Michael Owen (Liverpool)
    1968 – George Best (United)
    1965 – Bobby Charlton (United)
    1964 – Denis Law (United)
    1956 – Stanley Matthews (Blackpool)

Ben hopes for cup chance

Having seen Sir Alex Ferguson rotate his goalkeepers in the last two games, Ben Foster is hoping that pattern will continue and he'll get the nod for Wednesday's Carling Cup quarter-final against Blackburn.

The 25-year-old stopper has featured just once this season in the Reds' 1-1 draw at Celtic in October.

He was on the bench for Sunday's Manchester derby victory and is hoping to go one better on Wednesday.

"I’ve got to take any chances I’m given and hopefully one will come along soon," he said.

"It can be harder to prepare [when you play on the odd occasion rather than week in, week out] because when you’re the established No.1 keeper, you know you’ll be playing every week and you can tailor your week towards preparing yourself for the next game.

"When you don’t know whether or not you’re going to play or even be involved, it's difficult.

"But you’ve just got to be professional, keep doing well in training and be ready for when you’re called upon."

Date set for Saints tie

United will face Southampton at St Mary's in the FA Cup third round. The tie will kick off at 16:00 GMT on Sunday 4 January and will be shown live in the UK on Setanta Sports.

The Reds have played the Saints 13 times before in the competition, losing just twice. Of course, one of those occasions came at Wembley in the final in 1976.

Sir Alex Ferguson is pleased to have avoided top-flight opposition and is looking forward to the tie, which will take place over the weekend of 3/4 January.

"It's the first time for quite a while that we've not had a Premier League side, so we're thankful for that," he told MUTV.

"St. Mary's is a terrific stadium with a good pitch and hopefully we'll be all right."

Elsewhere, Chelsea entertain Southend of League One, Arsenal host Championship outfit Plymouth and Manchester City have a home tie against Championship strugglers Nottingham Forest.

FA Cup holders Portsmouth have been drawn at home to Bristol City.

FA Cup third round
    Portsmouth v Bristol City
    Sheffield Wed v Fulham
    Preston v Liverpool
    Birmingham v Wolves
    West Ham v Barnsley
    Middlesbrough v Barrow
    Hull City v Newcastle
    Hartlepool v Stoke
    Chelsea v Southend
    Manchester City v Nottingham Forest
    Cardiff v Reading
    Ipswich v Chesterfield or Droylesden
    Charlton v Norwich
    West Brom v Peterborough or Tranmere
    Torquay v Blackpool
    Leyton Orient v Sheffield United
    Southampton v Manchester United
    Millwall v Carlisle or Crewe
    Histon v Swansea
    Forest Green Rovers v Derby
    QPR v Burnley
    Leicester v Crystal Palace
    Tottenham v Wigan
    Morecambe or Cheltenham v Doncaster
    Arsenal v Plymouth
    Notts County or Kettering v Eastwood
    Bournemouth or Blyth v Blackburn
    Macclesfield v Everton
    Watford v Scunthorpe
    Sunderland v Bolton
    Coventry v Kidderminster
    Gillingham or Stockport v Aston Villa

Quote Originally Posted by legiz View Post
    liverpool is truly a kong kong team 0-0 they simply love eggs! (buang!)
    pple often critize chelsea as a boring team , but all these years how many 0-0 matches goaless matches do liverpool have? 以和为贵again lol
    Countless! they should have won their home games...... otherwise Man Utd will make them pay! Come end of season, they will be crying like Arsenal fans did last season......so close yet so far!

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Ron: Simply the best

Excellent! He sweep the floor again and I think he will get the world player of the year award too.

Young Guns Crash Out

Kevin McDonald steered Burnley into the semi-finals of a major competition for the first time in the 25 years with a superb brace in a 2-0 win against Arsenal at Turf Moor.

The Coca-Cola Championship team booked their place in the last four of the Carling Cup after showing a young Gunners side how to finish.
    While McDonald rightly took the plaudits, the Lancashire club also had to thank goalkeeper Brian Jensen, who made a string of fine saves to keep his side in front.
    Scottish midfielder McDonald scored either side of half-time and there was pandemonium around the old ground after a famous victory.
    The match was locally billed as `Capital Punishment III' after Chelsea and Fulham were put to the sword in previous rounds - and it lived up to expectations.
    Yet Arsenal almost took the lead before McDonald made the breakthrough when Fran Merida released Nicklas Bendtner. However Jensen stayed alert and diverted the striker's effort to safety.
    Burnley took the lead in the sixth minute after Chris Eagles swung in a superb cross from the right. Arsenal could not clear their lines after goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski failed to gather the ball.
    McDonald took full advantage to score from the edge of the six-yard box to put the the second-tier side in the driving seat - and they never looked back.
    Arsenal were stung and Bendtner sprung the offside trap in the ninth minute after a good through-ball from Carlos Vela but Jensen was equal to his effort.
    Then Martin Paterson skipped away from Kieran Gibbs but his shot carried little power and the goalkeeper was able to make a comfortable save.
    Burnley were dictating the pace against their inexperienced opponents and Robbie Blake tested Fabianski in the 28th minute.
    The young Arsenal goalkeeper looked nervous and spilled his effort, only to recover in time and take the ball off Paterson's toes.
    Paterson should have extended Burnley's lead when he stole in on the blindside but only succeeded in rattling a shot against Fabianski's body.
    Arsenal responded in the 37th minute and Bendtner sent Mark Randall clear with a clever flick. Randall had only Jensen to beat but the goalkeeper stood tall to make the block.
    The goalkeeper was again proving difficult to beat after an impressive display in the victory against Chelsea.
    It looked as though Vela would equalise in the 41st minute but Jensen cleared the danger.
    Merida was also wasteful after 49 minutes when he weaved his way into the penalty area but failed to test Jensen, dragging his effort wide.
    Burnley extended their lead in the 57th minute with McDonald again showing a cool headed when needed.
    Randall was caught napping when Eagles delivered a throw-in and McDonald raced clear before curling a delightful shot into the far corner with the outside of his right boot.
    This was an uphill task now for Arsenal and Wenger responded by bringing on Jay Simpson for Jack Wilshere in a bid to turn things around.
    Simpson had shown his potential in the last round with a brace in the victory against Arsenal.
    However, Paterson should have made it 3-0 in the 65th minute only to send a soft header into Fabianski's arms following a cross from Blake.
    Burnley were happy to knock the ball around and keep possession but Arsenal still looked dangerous going forward. Bendtner should have pulled a goal back with three minutes remaining but the striker failed to capitalise on a good ball from Vela to put the seal on a miserable night for the Gunners.

Tuesday, December 2

Stoke 0 Derby 1 Final
    Burnley 2 Arsenal 0 Final
    Last edited by Galdor; 3rd December 2008 at 01:34 PM.

Tomorrow 4am we will be facing Blackburn at Home for carling cup after that will be another 2 home game in the epl vs Sunderland and in CL vs Aalborg BK!

Think we will be resting players tomorrow night so would not be expecting us to pull through!

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Excellent! He sweep the floor again and I think he will get the world player of the year award too.

Ronaldo's on top of the world

In an exclusive interview with ManUtd.com and MUTV, Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates winning the Ballon d'Or and insists there's much more to come...

Congratulations Cristiano. How does it feel to have won the award and become only the fourth United player ever to do so?
    It feels amazing. It’s the award I always dreamt of winning when I was a kid and I feel very proud and very happy. I have to say a big thank you to my team-mates and everyone at the club who has helped me win the award – it has such a great history and it is the great players who win it so it’s magnificent to be alongside them. It’s amazing that only three players in the club’s history before me have won it. I didn’t know that until yesterday. So it’s special for the club and obviously for me and I feel very proud to be part of the history of the Ballon d’Or and the history of this club. You work hard to win team awards and personal awards, but, for me, to win this one is very special.

Where does this rank among your many other personal achievements?Every award has a different history, but this one is one of the best. When I became a professional footballer I always believed I had the chance to win it one day and to do that makes me feel very good. But team awards are very important to me as well. I’m at a great club where I have the opportunity to win team and personal awards and to be remembered as a great player you have to win things with your team, not just individual awards.

Will winning this award put even more pressure on you?
    I always play with pressure because people always expect a lot from me and I don’t think that will change. Winning this award makes me feel very happy inside because it’s one of the best days of my life. But my responsibilities are still the same: I want to continue to play well for my club and my country and try to do as well as last season.

You always say you want to improve. How do you do that, when you're already considered the best in the world?
    Of course I can improve – there are many things I still need to learn.

You can never let yourself think you know everything. I am still very ambitious and I will continue to work very hard every day. I know it will be very hard to better last season, but I will try – if you don’t try you win nothing. A new season means a new challenge and I want to help the team win more trophies.

Warnock eyes cup shock

Stephen Warnock believes Blackburn Rovers can cause an upset in their Carling Cup quarter-final tie at Old Trafford.

Despite losing 2-0 to United in the league earlier this season, Warnock feels his team can win the tie and then ultimately the cup for the first time since 2002. “You have to beat the best to win the competition and hopefully we can do that," he says.

“We were all very disappointed with the performance against United earlier this season because we felt we showed them too much respect and if you do that against a side of their quality, then of course you are going to be in trouble. We don’t fear anyone, though, and we certainly won’t go into this game thinking about past defeats.”

Blackburn currently lie 19th in the league and could be forgiven for viewing the cup as an unhelpful distraction. But Warnock says: “It is important we put our league position out of our minds. Every game at this stage of the season is important.”

The game marks Paul Ince’s first appearance at Old Trafford since he became Rovers manager, and Warnock has hailed the impact of his new boss. He said: “He has been great since coming in and has made the transition as easy as possible really. Obviously Mark Hughes did a very good job but Paul Ince has made his own mark here now.”

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Warnock eyes cup shock

We shall let the result speak for itself.

Pleasant problem for Sir Alex

Sir Alex Ferguson admits Carlos Tevez’s Carling Cup goalscoring spree has given him plenty of food for thought regarding upcoming team selections.

The Argentine netted four of United’s five goals in the quarter-final victory over Blackburn Rovers taking his tally in the competition to five, having bagged the winner in the previous round win over QPR.

Tevez has, at times this season, found himself third in the pecking order of United’s three strikers behind Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov, but his performance and goal return against Paul Ince’s men has given Sir Alex a real selection dilemma.

“The great bonus we have now is players like Carlos are all coming into form,” the United boss told MUTV. “It makes my job more difficult, of course, but it makes the club stronger.

“We’re delighted to be in the semi-finals and I was pleased with the performance. Some of our football was very good and there was some great interchanging in the last third of the field, particularly for the goal which Anderson created for Tevez which was absolutely sensational.

“We should have been coasting after that, but losing the two late goals gave us a few twitchy minutes. You don’t want to be losing goals and in the end we lost three, but that wasn’t a fair reflection on Ben Foster because he had two great saves early on in the match which kept us in it.

“We just got a bit careless, but fortunately Carlos scored a fantastic fifth goal to wrap it up.”

Sir Alex has now witnessed his young players come through three tricky Carling Cup encounters and he’s been impressed by what he’s seen.

“The youngersters who have played in the games against Middlesbrough, QPR and now Blackburn will all have learnt a lot, but we’ve also learnt something about them in terms of their temperament and their ability to play in front of the Old Trafford crowd,” he explained.

“They’ve never looked fazed and have all come through well.”

Carlos proud of first quadruple

Carlos Tevez is keen to lead United's attack on all fronts after taking his Carling Cup tally to five for the season so far.

Scorer of the match-winning penalty against QPR in the fourth round, the terrific Tevez blasted four past Blackburn Rovers in the fifth. His quadruple included another spot-kick and an opening goal that may eventually be re-credited as an Aaron Mokoena own goal.

Not that Carlos is considering that for now, as he enjoys the limelight he richly deserves after destroying Paul Ince's side at Old Trafford.

"I'm very proud to score four goals," Tevez told MUTV, with his team-mate Rodrigo Possebon acting as interpreter.

"It's the first time I've done it in my career and I'm very proud to have achieved this in a United shirt. We're very happy as a team with our performance, and I'm happy with my performance as well.
    "For the players who do not play very often, it was a very good night because we showed we can play in any game that's to come in the Premier League or Champions League."

Chipping in with some words of his own, Possebon echoed Tevez's pride in the display.

"It was a great performance - five goals, four from Carlito and one from Nani - and we are very proud. Blackburn are a very good team with some players who can make a difference. But we played better and we're delighted to have won again."

Ratings: United v Blackburn

Ben Foster
    No chance of the England keeper being caught out early on his home debut, as he pulled off a world-class save to deny Stephen Warnock. He'll have been bemused to concede three strange second-half goals but otherwise it was a night to savour.
    John O'Shea
    It was a quiet evening for Sheasy as he switched over to his more familiar left-back slot. Barely had to break sweat in the face of a listless Rovers display in the first 45 minutes, but limped off just after an hour to be replaced by Patrice Evra.
    Gary Neville
    A stress-free first half in the centre of defence for the skipper, but was caught out just after the break as Benni McCarthy made an immediate impact. Still, another vital 90 minutes under his belt as he returns from injury.
    Jonny Evans
    Cool and collected for most of the match, but will have been surprised as anyone to see Blackburn edge their way back into the tie with that late rally.
    Rafael
    Second game in four days for the prodigious right-back who always plays at full throttle. If there was an award for most crowd-pleasing performance, he'd win it every time.
    Darron Gibson
    Another rugged display from the young Irishman who clearly relishes every first-team opportunity. Nearly opened his account with a looping header that was cleared off the line.
    Rodrigo Possebon
    Strolled through the match with a typically assured performance. Arsenal's kids may have frozen in Burnley, but this young Brazilian could be marching all the way to Wembley.
    Anderson
    He'll never have an easier chance to open his United account, that's for sure! A controlled display in an unfamiliar midfield, and showed real maturity by laying the ball into the path of Tevez when he could easily have burst the net. Next time, Ando!
    Nani
    Back on the scoresheet with a goal that was beautiful in its simplicity, following a one-two with match-winner Tevez.
    Ryan Giggs
    How inspiring must it be for Possebon and Gibson to line up alongside the most decorated man in English football? Giggsy served up another footballing masterclass as the Reds sauntered into the semis.
    Carlos Tevez
    Like all great strikers, Tevez claimed United's opener even though there was more than a hint of an own goal. He scored the Reds' third goal from the spot, and was handed the fourth on a plate by the unselfish Anderson. Then, as the press box debated whether he'd bagged a hat-trick, the hitman cleared up the argument in devastating fashion. What a night!
    Paul Scholes (on for Rodrigo Possebon, 66)
    On an Arctic Manchester evening, nothing warmed the hearts of the 53,000 Reds more than the sight of Scholes back in the thick of it.
    Patrice Evra (on for John O'Shea, 66)
    Had little to do during his half-hour on the pitch but slipped in the lead-up to Blackburn's second goal.
    Manucho (on for Ryan Giggs, 71)
    Wasn't really given the opportunity to show off his talents, but the big man offers a different option up front.

Tevez steals the show as United reach semis

Carlos Tevez seized his opportunity to fire Manchester United to a 5-3 victory against Blackburn and reach the Carling Cup semi-finals.

Tevez proud of goal haul

With his Old Trafford future at stake, Tevez has no regard for the fixture backlog piling up for Sir Alex Ferguson.

And he hit three goals - after also claiming United's opener, which seemed to have gone in off Aaron Mokoena - to remind Ferguson of his hunger and undoubted ability.
    And a one-man mission to reach Wembley seems unlikely to be stopped now, although even with two Football League sides in the draw, the Red Devils might expect a sterner test in the last four.
    With his team in such an awful state, Paul Ince might have welcomed a return to his old club, even if it was just as a release from Premier League worries.
    In his more optimistic moments, Ince would also consider it as a springboard from which to break the shackles of a run that has seen Rovers win just once in their last 10 games.
    Certainly a United line-up including Darron Gibson and Rodrigo Possebon would not exactly strike fear into most opponents' hearts under normal circumstances.
    Unfortunately for Ince, his team were bereft of ideas.
    Stephen Warnock forced a good early save out of Ben Foster and amid a flurry just before the deadlock was broken Matt Derbyshire threatened with a long-range strike that swerved fiercely.
    But for a side virtually at full strength it was a disappointing return against a United line-up changed completely from the one that defeated Manchester City on Sunday, save for young Brazilian full-back Rafael Da Silva.
    Sir Alex Ferguson's team took some time to get going but once they did, a clear edge was established and it became when, not if, the hosts would score.
    Gibson nearly did it, meeting Ryan Giggs' outswinging corner with a firm header than dropped over Paul Robinson, but not Martin Olsson, who nodded it off the line.
    Jonny Evans also went close and so did Tevez, whose rising shot rose just too much after he had showed admirable strength to hold off a posse of Blackburn defenders after collecting John O'Shea's pass.
    It has been said a few times Tevez must be running out of patience at his limited opportunities. Yet it seems he likes the Carling Cup.
    After slotting home the winner against QPR from the penalty spot one round ago, he was credited with the opening goal against Rovers too.
    TV replays were not conclusive as he jumped with Mokoena to reach Giggs' far-post corner. But few would begrudge the Argentina forward his third goal of the season.
    Just over half an hour later, no-one was willing to take the goal off Tevez, although the intervening period was one of spellbinding excitement.
    Nani continued the goal-fest with a powerful finish to a solo run that involved receiving Tevez's cushioned return pass. Not for the first, or the last time, Robinson was well beaten.
    The 600 Blackburn fans who had made the short journey south sang 'We want our Rovers back' and booed their team off at the break.
    Three minutes after the re-start, they had something more positive to occupy their minds as substitute Benni McCarthy shrugged aside Gary Neville and belted home after a previously non-existent Roque Santa Cruz had flicked on Robinson's goal-kick.
    Any thoughts Ince might have harboured about a comeback were cruelly extinguished almost immediately as Giggs sent Tevez scampering into the area.
    Olsson bundled the South American over and Tevez sent Robinson the wrong way with his penalty.
    Anderson clearly knew the significance of Tevez's situation as he provided his fellow South American with a tap-in when United next attacked.
    The move itself was majestic as Giggs found Anderson with a supreme back-heel, triggering a series of one-twos the final touch turning out to be the easiest.
    With the game won, United's supporters found isolated events entertain them.
    Paul Scholes' introduction, after nine weeks out with a knee injury, was greeted with unbridled joy. The opposite reaction was reserved for Robbie Fowler - a former Liverpool, Leeds and Manchester City player.
    Derbyshire scored late on then, as United switched off in alarming fashion, just as they did against Hull last month, Olsson hit a post before McCarthy reduced the arrears to just one in stoppage time.
    But Tevez was not going to be denied and lashed home another with the final kick to send United through.

<LI id=quotes>Tevez proud of goal haul
    Carlos Tevez hailed a night to remember as he claimed the first four-goal haul of his career.
    ''I am very proud to score four goals,'' said Tevez. ''It is the first time I have done it in my career and it is better because it came for Manchester United.
    ''I have not played very often, so I was looking forward to the game and I am happy with my performance.''
    Debate was still raging over Tevez's opener long after the final whistle.
    Fortunately, the outcome of his far-post duel with Mokoena cannot cost Tevez a hat-trick as he netted from the penalty spot just after the break and thrashed home another at the end after another potentially fatal fade-out.
    ''It was quite unbelievable at the end,'' said United boss Ferguson.
    ''We created a lot of chances and we got a bit careless because we don't want to be losing goals like that. But overall I am quite pleased.''
    ''The great bonus for me is that we have players who are now coming into form,'' said the United boss. ''Carlos Tevez scored four times tonight and produced a marvellous performance, as did Anderson and Jonny Evans.
    ''It definitely makes my job more difficult, although it also makes the club stronger.''
    It also means potential solutions to United's fixture backlog have been blocked, with the Red Devils committed to a couple of midweek dates in January as they bid to reach Wembley.
    Little wonder Ferguson has confirmed his squad will remain as it is, with the return of Paul Scholes after two months out with a knee injury, particularly timely.
    ''It is like having an extra player,'' said Ferguson of the 34-year-old's return.
    ''The semi-final gives us two extra matches to play and finding dates for the games against Fulham and Wigan is not going to be easy.
    ''But the good thing is we have a big strong squad who will all be staying with us.
    ''None of them are going to leave on loan because we are going to need them.''
    Rovers boss Paul Ince was frustrated to be on the losing side after starting positively - and breaching United on three occasions - but admitted his side need to cut out the defensive lapses which are blighting their season.
    ''It was difficult but in the first half we started well. We had three good chances in the first half and were doing okay for 30 minutes,'' he told Sky Sports News.
    ''We felt comfortable. We weren't playing particularly well, but we didn't look in danger. But we conceded goals pretty early and you can't do that against teams like Manchester United.
    ''I said at half-time that it was important who got the next goal, if we got it we had a chance. We did that, with a great finish from Benni (McCarthy), but then we gave away a penalty straight away.
    ''You can't do that at any level, nevermind against Manchester United. I wasn't sure it was a penalty but that killed us. We feel we are back in the game at 2-1 but we keep doing it to ourselves.
    ''Saying that, we got three goals at Old Trafford.''

Report: United 5 Blackburn 3

A Carlos Tevez quadruple sealed an impressive 5-3 victory over Blackburn Rovers to send the Reds into the last four of the Carling Cup.

The Argentine opened the scoring on 36 minutes, before netting a further three times after the break. Nani also got in on the act to ensure United’s place in the semi-finals.

Sir Alex Ferguson, who was forced to watch from the stands as a result of his two-game touchline ban, once again opted for a youthful line-up, including a first Old Trafford appearance in a red shirt for goalkeeper Ben Foster. There was a sprinkling of experience within the side, however, with skipper Gary Neville alongside Jonny Evans at centre-half, while John O’Shea took up the left-back spot. Ryan Giggs and Carlos Tevez provided the combined threat up front.

Paul Ince, making his first return to Old Trafford as a manager, fielded a considerably stronger XI. And it was the visitors who had the first sight of goal on three minutes. Matt Derbyshire flicked a long ball forward into the danger area and Stephen Warnock rose to head goalwards. Thankfully the onrushing Foster was on hand to tip the ball over the bar.

United’s young charges took time to get into their stride, but they almost took the lead on 22 minutes when Darron Gibson saw his header from a Giggs corner cleared off the line by Martin Olsson. Giggs was involved again three minutes later when he swung a cross towards Jonny Evans at the far post, but the defender’s header dropped wide.

The Reds continued to pressure the Blackburn backline with Carlos Tevez,
    having worked space on the edge of the box, chancing his luck with a sizzling effort that flew just over Paul Robinson’s crossbar.

Foster had to be alert at the other end when he claimed a low swerving Keith Treacy effort from 20 yards on 29 minutes. Five minutes later, the England international was called into action once more, tipping over a curling Brett Emerton shot following a well-worked short corner.

Nine minutes before the break United gained the advantage, but there was some debate as to who got the final touch on Giggs’ right wing free-kick. Tevez and Aaron Mokoena both dived to meet the inswinging centre with a combination of the two contriving to send the ball into the net. Tevez wheeled away to celebrate and claim his third goal of the campaign.

There was no question of the Argentine’s part in United’s second goal which arrived on 40 minutes. Nani collected possession on the left wing before turning and cutting inside. A one-two with Tevez was followed by a fine low finish under Robinson.

The Portuguese winger came within a whisker of doubling his tally seconds after the restart as United looked to put the tie beyond doubt. Tevez crossed from the right to Giggs who saw his effort blocked by a last-ditch challenge from Mokoena. Nani looked certain to score from the follow-up, but Robinson reacted brilliantly to deny him.

Two minutes later the visitors were thrown a lifeline by half-time substitute Benni McCarthy, who made an instant impact. Latching onto a hoofed clearance, the South African got away from the clutches of Gary Neville before lashing an unstoppable shot inside Foster’s near post.

Blackburn’s renewed optimism lasted all of three minutes. The increasingly influential Giggs slotted a through ball into Tevez’s path and he was subsequently bundled to the ground in the area by Andre Ooijer. Referee Alan Wiley had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and the Argentine duly dusted himself down to fire into the same corner he favoured in the last round against QPR and, of course, Moscow.

He sealed his hat-trick in the simplest of fashions after a sublime move from the Reds. Anderson swapped passes with Giggs, who found the Brazilian with a brilliant backheel. Old Trafford held its breath as the midfielder burst into the area – could he finally open his United account? The answer was no, as he unselfishly laid the ball to Tevez, who side-footed into an empty net.

United continued to look dangerous going forward and their attack was further bolstered by the introduction of Paul Scholes in the 66th minute making a return to action following knee ligament damage.

Tevez went close to grabbing his fourth on 73 minutes after twisting and turning past three defenders, only to see his shot parried by Robinson.

A tie that appeared well and truly over was given fresh life when Blackburn netted two late goals. Derbyshire nipped in to poke home Blackburn's second after substitute Patrice Evra slipped as he attempted to clear the danger, before turning provider for McCarthy who flicked home Derbyshire’s low cross from the right.

Blackburn had two of the four minutes of injury time remaining to find themselves an equaliser, but their attempts to do so left space at the back which was fully exploited by that man Tevez once more. Anderson looped a pass into his path and, from what looked a tight angle, the striker duly thumped a low dipping volley past Robinson and edged the Reds a step closer to Wembley.

Team Line-ups

United: Foster; Rafael, Neville, Evans, O'Shea (Evra 66); Nani, Gibson, Possebon (Scholes 66), Anderson; Giggs (Manucho 71), Tevez.
    Subs not used: Kuszczak, Park, Vidic, Welbeck

Blackburn: Robinson; Olsson, Nelsen, Ooijer, Warnock; Treacy, Kerimoglu (Pedersen 70), Mokoena, Emerton (McCarthy 46); Derbyshire, Roque Santa Cruz (Fowler 76).
    Subs not used: Brown, Villanueva, Judge, Roberts

Booked: Nelsen

Attendance: 53,997

Time for New Thread!!!

See u guys there!

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254045484950