Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2136414445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Default Re: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Carrick keeps calm

Michael Carrick is not getting carried away with a rare chance to feature for England in this week's international friendly against Germany.

The United midfielder has evolved into the understated hub of the Reds' midfield and, with Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard both missing the Berlin trip through injury, is expected to be given his chance to shine by Fabio Capello.

Typically, however, the former West Ham and Tottenham playmaker is not daunted by a rare stint in the international spotlight.

"It's for other people to judge how I play," he said. "As long as the manager, the club, the players and the supporters are happy, I'm happy.

"I know what I am good at and try to go about my business in the right way. If I get the chance on Wednesday, I will continue to try and do that."

Sir Alex Ferguson is renowned for his disdain of mid-season international friendlies but, while Carrick sees his manager's viewpoint, he still sees the clash in Berlin as a big deal.

"Friendlies aren't meaningless," he said. "To play for your country is a massive honour. Germany versus England at any level is a huge game. I do not regard it as a hindrance.

"But I accept the manager doesn't really look at it that way. He has his own agenda and there are things to be won at domestic level. But, as players, you put that to one side until Thursday morning."

Region honours Reds

Sir Alex Ferguson and Ryan Giggs were among the winners at the 2008 North-West Football Awards on Monday night.

Sir Alex picked up an Outstanding Achievement Award for leading United to a memorable Double last season, while Giggs was named North-West Footballer of the Year for his continued influence on the pitch and charity work off it.

Sir Bobby Charlton, who himself received a lifetime contribution honour at this ceremony last year, picked up the award on Giggs' behalf at Manchester's Midland Hotel.

United's excellence off the field was also rewarded, as the club shared the Premier League award for Best Club Marketing Campaign with Liverpool.

Cristiano Ronaldo, however, missed out to Liverpool's Fernando Torres in the Premier League Player of the Year category, despite scoring 42 goals for United last season.

Charlton neverthless feels Ronaldo is rediscovering his best form after the winger took his Reds goal tally past the century mark with a brace against Stoke at the weekend.

"His rate of scoring is fantastic," said Charlton. "He had a great season last time and is heading for another one.

"Cristiano's free-kicks have not been going in - but thankfully they did last weekend."

The North-West Football Awards are in their second year and acknowledge the region's football heritage both on and off the field.

Judges this year included PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor, Manchester United director Maurice Watkins and Paul Thorogood from the Football Foundation.

North-West Football Awards '08
    North-West Footballer of the Year
    Ryan Giggs

Outstanding Achievement Award – 2007-08 season
    Sir Alex Ferguson

Best Club Marketing Campaign – Premier League
    Manchester United
    Liverpool

Reserves: Hull 2 United 1

Experience told as an under-strength United Reserves side were undone by a strong Hull City side on Tuesday evening, but there were plenty of positives for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side.

Goals from Dean Windass and Ryan France did the damage to United, but it was Greek international Stelios who called the tune, laying on both goals with subtle assists.

A late strike from Cameron Stewart and the performances of some of United's youngsters provided cause for consolation, however, with substitute Davide Petrucci particularly eye-catching on his Reserves debut.

With Richard Eckersley injured, and Danny Welbeck, Ben Amos, Danny Drinkwater and David Gray on international duty, Solskjaer called upon several members of the Reds' U18s to bolster his squad.

Winger Stewart deputised at right-back, Scott Wootton made his first start in the centre of defence and Jimmy Derbyshire occupied the left-back berth, giving the backline a much-changed look.

The presence of journeyman striker Windass - older than the Reds' two centre-backs put together - in Hull's starting line-up ensured a stern test for United and, although they withstood long periods of first-half pressure from the hosts, only six minutes of the second half had elapsed when Hull moved ahead.

Windass looped home a header from Stelios' chipped pass, but United's response was a positive one, and only a superb save from goalkeeper Matt Duke prevented Kiko Macheda from sidefooting the Reds level within two minutes.

Solskjaer's side mounted a spell of concerted pressure, before Hull extended their lead after 65 minutes. An inch-perfect one-two between France and Stelios ended with the former sidefooting home a neat volley.

Sam Hewson scuffed his shot when handed a decent sight of goal shortly afterwards, while substitute Evandro Brandao saw an effort cleared off the line in the last ten minutes.

Petrucci, who showed great awareness and pluck during his 20-minute cameo, then had a thunderous volley blocked by Duke as the Reds continued to press, and the visitors pulled a goal back in the third minute of injury time through Stewart.

The pacy youngster cut infield and caught everyone by surprise with a low 25-yarder which sneaked inside Duke's post. Too little, too late in terms of this match, but still plenty of positives from another valuable lesson for United's youngsters.

United: Zieler; Stewart, Wootton, Chester, Derbyshire; Eikrem (James 66), Possebon (Brandao 78), Hewson, Cleverley, Bryan (Petrucci 70); Macheda.
    Subs not used: Johnstone, Strickland.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Reserves: Hull 2 United 1

Its tough on Ole as he has lost 2 quality strikers in Welbeck and Campbell. But still got this Tom Cleverley? Think he got some potential.

F. Campbell scored again last nite for Eng U21s.

Internationals: Berba blow

Dimitar Berbatov had a miserable night on international duty, picking up an injury as Bulgaria were hammered 6-1 in Belgrade by Nemanja Vidic's Serbia.

Berbatov seemed to be feeling a hamstring when he was substituted after half an hour and could be a doubt for United's match at Aston Villa. Ex-Villa forward Savo Milosevic scored two goals - after missing two penalties - on his 102nd and final cap for Serbia.

Berbatov wasn't the only Red to be hit for six by a United team-mate - Cristiano Ronaldo was also on the receiving end as Portugal lost 6-2 away to Anderson's Brazil.

Luis Fabiano scored a hat-trick for the home side in Brasilia, with the other goals coming from Maicon, Adriano and Manchester City striker Elano. Anderson played 79 minutes for Brazil and Ronaldo completed 90 for Portugal but Nani was not involved.

Patrice Evra also played a full ninety minutes for his country, helping to keep former United striker Diego Forlan quiet as France drew 0-0 at home to Uruguay.

Michael Carrick enjoyed the best of the British and Irish results, helping England win 2-1 in Germany. The visitors' goals were both scored by centre-halves - Rio Ferdinand's replacement Matthew Upson gave England the lead and John Terry grabbed the winner after sharing the blame for Germany's equaliser with goalkeeper Scott Carson.

Carlos Tevez helped world football legend Diego Maradona to make a winning start as Argentina coach - the United striker played the entire match as a Scotland side missing Darren Fletcher were defeated 1-0 at Hampden Park.

Darron Gibson and John O'Shea clocked up 73 and 90 minutes respectively for the
    Republic of Ireland but couldn't prevent their side losing 3-2 at home to Poland. Northern Ireland also lost at home, 2-0 to Hungary, despite a full appearance from Jonny Evans.

Ji-sung Park captained South Korea to an historic win - their first in seven games against Saudi Arabia spanning 19 years. Park set up the first goal for Daegu FC's Lee Keun-Ho in the 77th minute before AS Monaco's Park Chu-Young sealed the World Cup qualifying points just before full-time. All other international matches involving United players were friendlies.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Gibson hungry for more

Just days after making his Premier League debut and picking up his fourth Republic of Ireland cap, Darron Gibson is hungry for more action.

The 21-year-old midfielder slotted in seamlessly as a substitute against Stoke last weekend, and then clocked up another 73 minutes of international football on Wednesday as the Irish lost 3-2 at home to Poland.

"Playing with Ireland has done me good," said Gibson. "If I am playing at international level then it puts me in his (Sir Alex Ferguson's) mind, that I can do a job for him if I'm needed.
    "I've been working hard in training and the manager has been telling me to keep doing what I have been doing and when the chance comes, to grab it with both hands.

"It's easier coming into a team with such good players as they are all very experienced. They can all help you out and I enjoyed it against Stoke. I think I did quite well."

Having enjoyed loan spells at Antwerp and Wolves in recent seasons, Gibson is happy to remain at Old Trafford and wait for further senior openings.

"I'm just going to bide my time and hopefully the chance comes and I can take it," he said. "There were a few injuries at the start of the season so I think he was a bit wary of players going out on loan in those positions. I stayed and hopefully the chances will keep coming.
    "Although I am not playing a lot, I'm happy training with the first team as they are the best players in the world. I'm still learning a lot and still improving as a player."

Kids urged to learn lessons

United's youngsters can learn a valuable lesson from veteran striker Dean Windass, according to Reserves manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

The Reds' second string were beaten 2-1 by a more experienced Hull City side on Tuesday evening, with Windass among the scorers, and Solskjaer cites the 39-year-old as a perfect example of the right attitude.

"We had a really young side out, but that’s no excuse," Ole told MUTV. "I think Windass and a couple of Hull’s other old lads showed the desire and the right example for these kids.

"He’s about 23 years older than my youngest player here today, but he showed the desire of any of ours. He’s a great example for everyone of how to be a professional footballer."

Although his side were ultimately left pointless, Solskjaer found some positives in the Reds' display - and he expects to see lessons have been learned when they next take the field.

"We played some nice stuff at times, but as well you have to defend," he said. "We defended crosses really well in the first half, the young kids stood up well, but in the second half we got a bit sloppy with our positioning, and they scored the goals.
    "You have to have a foundation to your game, something to go back to when the nice skills don’t come off. But there were some new kids and they stood up alright. They’ve had a good experience tonight. I think they’ve learned something and hopefully they’ll take it through to the next game."

Bad news that Berba is injured. Dunno how long will he be out. Its really time for Tevez to show Fergie what he can do.

Some funny gossip:
    Former England striker Andrew Cole has been secretly mentoring on-loan Tottenham striker Frazier Campbell since he joined Manchester United at the age of 10. (Daily Mirror)

Sir Alex stays upbeat

Sir Alex Ferguson was far from despondent after United were held to a goalless draw at Aston Villa.
    After watching Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal all drop points on Saturday, the Reds were held to a battling stalemate by Martin O'Neill's side, but Sir Alex did not see the draw as a missed opportunity.
    The manager told MUTV: "Obviously we haven't taken advantage (of other results), but in context of the difficulties of the three teams we're talking about - Liverpool, Chelsea and ourselves - I think we're the team that's had the best result today.

"At the end of the day I'm satisfied in the effort the players made. It was a very determined and aggressive Aston Villa team. They really set out to make it difficult for us, but we handled that well. Today has proved that Aston Villa are a much-improved side with a lot of consistency about them, and I really think they could be in the top four."
    The United boss felt that his side had done enough to warrant all three points, but reserved praise for the way Villa defended resolutely to keep United at bay.

"It was a great effort against a very determined Aston Villa team who defended for their lives, and you saw towards the end of the match that they were just hanging on," he said.
    "We created the chances in the game, Villa didn't really have any. Wayne and Ji-sung Park both had good chances. Our possession was good and we had so much pressure, but in fairness to them they hung in."

Ronny doubtful for Villarreal

Cristiano Ronaldo is a major doubt for Tuesday's Champions League clash with Villarreal.
    The Portuguese winger was substituted late on during the Reds' goalless draw at Villa Park, having picked up a leg injury in a bruising encounter.
    Sir Alex Ferguson told MUTV after the match: "His leg's in a mess, to be honest with you. He'll be doubtful for Tuesday, I'm sure of that."
    Ronaldo joins Wes Brown, Paul Scholes and Owen Hargreaves on the Reds' injury list, while Darren Fletcher will hope to shake off a knee injury he sustained against Stoke City.

Vidic: Villa shut up shop

Nemanja Vidic felt Aston Villa's stifling tactics were the reason United failed to score in a league game for the first time in a year.

The Reds were much the better side but only created a handful of chances against a well-drilled Villa outfit, for whom pacy Gabriel Agbonlahor was the only out-and-out attacker.

"When a team defends with 10 players for the whole game, it’s hard to create chances," Vidic told MUTV. "We had a great strike from Ronaldo, Rooney had an opportunity and a few chances from set-pieces, but we couldn't score."

Vidic was involved in the game's major talking point during the second half as he got into a tangle with Agbonlahor and the striker eventually went down just inside the box, but referee Chris Foy waved away Villa's penalty claims.

Vidic continued: "The referee could have given the foul 30 yards from goal, but once we reached the box I touched the ball and I'm sure it wasn't a penalty. Agbonlahor is quick and today they defended and used his pace to surprise us."

With Liverpool and Chelsea also being held to goalless draws, United missed out on the chance to close the gap at the top, but Vidic knows there will be plenty more points dropped between now and the end of the season.

"We knew we had a good opportunity to get closer to Liverpool and Chelsea but we didn’t take it and now we need to focus on the next game," the Serbian added. "The season is long: Chelsea and Liverpool drawing shows the top teams are going to lose points at home this season."

Aston Villa 0 United 0

United failed to close the gap at the top of the Barclays Premier League after being held to a frustrating goalless draw at Aston Villa.
    The Reds dictated play for long spells but were unable to make the decisive breakthrough, with Wayne Rooney spurning the best chance midway through the second half.
    While a point may not be the worst result away at a top-four side, it meant the champions were unable fully to take advantage of slips-up by Liverpool and Chelsea earlier in the day.
    United had arrived for the early evening clash having won on their 11 previous visits to Villa Park in all competitions. The Reds’ line-up showed three changes as Rooney, Rio Ferdinand and Ryan Giggs all returned from injury or illness.
    Villa created the first opening as Gabriel Agbonlahor ran onto Martin Laursen’s flicked header but couldn’t divert the ball past Edwin van der Sar.
    United’s only chance of note in the opening quarter of an hour came when Cristiano Ronaldo cut inside and unleashed a half-volley that Brad Friedel did well to palm wide.
    Nigel Reo-Coker, a midfielder by trade but playing at right-back, ventured forward and found himself with space and time to shoot, but van der Sar clung on well low to his left.
    On a lush playing surface United were playing some coherent football, with Giggs, Rooney and Carlos Tevez in particular looking lively, but were finding high-flying Villa a little more difficult to break down than Stoke the previous week.
    On the half-hour James Milner whipped in a dangerous cross from the right which Ferdinand hacked away at second attempt with Agbonlahor ready to pounce.
    Seven minutes before the break Ji-sung Park had an excellent chance to break the deadlock after running onto Rooney’s pass in the box, but the Korean took too much time on the ball and was dispossessed by Ashley Young.
    The same duo were involved in another opportunity a minute later but Park was inches away from converting Rooney’s low right-wing cross. Nemanja Vidic then headed a Giggs free-kick narrowly wide as United finished the half in the ascendency.
    Villa came out with more intent to cause United problems and van der Sar was called into action again to tip over Ashley Young’s left-foot curler. Laursen headed over a resultant corner when well placed in the centre of the box.
    There was a flashpoint just before the hour when the pacy Agbonhalor got in behind Vidic and was brought down just inside the box, but referee Chris Foy ruled Vidic had won the ball cleanly.
    Villa were gaining a foothold but you sensed that a goal for United would deflate them. Rooney had a glorious chance to make that breakthrough but blasted high and wide from seven yards after running onto Michael Carrick’s clever pass over his head.
    With 20 minutes to go Sir Alex Ferguson brought on Nani in place of Tevez, who had worked his socks off without creating any clear-cut openings for himself.
    Ronaldo followed 10 minutes later and was walking gingerly as he was replaced by Anderson, having signalled to the bench that he was feeling discomfort in his knee.
    It was hearts-in-mouths time for United soon after as James Milner outfoxed his two markers inside the box, only to see his cross from the byline cut out by the Reds’ defence.
    United failed to carve out any more openings as the game drew to a close and the shares were spoiled, ending Villa’s 14-match losing run against Sir Alex’s men.
    ASTON VILLA: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Laursen, Davies, L. Young, Barry, Sidwell (Carew 81), Petrov, Milner, Agbonlahor, A.Young.
    Subs not used: Guzan, Knight, Harewood, Gardner, Salifou, Shorey.
    Bookings: Davies.
    MANCHESTER UNITED: Van der Sar, O’Shea, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Ronaldo (Anderson 82), Carrick, Giggs, Park, Rooney, Tevez (Nani 71).
    Subs not used: Welbeck, Rafael, Evans, Gibson, Kuszczak.

Attendance: 42,585

League: Rivals falter

United's defence of the Premier League title was handed a surprise boost on Saturday afternoon when Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal all dropped points.

Despite creating a host of chances, the Blues were held to a goalless draw by Joe Kinnear's Newcastle United at Stamford Bridge, while Fulham were also in resolute form to grind out a 0-0 draw at Anfield.

Arsenal, without outspoken defender William Gallas, slumped to a third defeat in four games as they were roundly thrashed at Manchester City.

Mark Hughes' side warmed up for next weekend's Manchester derby with a 3-0 victory over the Gunners, courtesy of strikes from Stephen Ireland, Robinho and Daniel Sturridge.

Elsewhere, Bolton Wanderers notched a 3-1 victory at Middlesbrough, Hull City needed an injury-time own goal from Noe Pamarot to draw 2-2 at Portsmouth, and a late header from Mamady Sidibe gave Stoke victory at home to West Bromwich Albion.

U18s: Blackburn 0 United 4

A devastating first half performance ensured a impressive victory for Paul McGuinness' youngsters against Blackburn Rovers.

Italian starlet Davide Petrucci set the tone by opening the scoring for United inside three minutes, slotting home a clinical finish.

He grabbed a second just before the half-hour mark, tapping in after Joe Dudgeon had sprung Rovers' offside trap down the left flank.

Skipper Matt James continued his rich vein of goalscoring form with a superb finish shortly afterwards, rattling in a shot which hit both posts before crossing the line.

The Reds continued to dominate proceedings, and Evandro Brandao added further gloss to the scoreline with 10 minutes remaining as he won and converted a penalty.

22/11/2008 19:06, Report by Gemma Thompson

Evra's Euro work ethic

Patrice Evra says the Reds are fully focused on holding on to their Champions League crown, but insists the team will have to work harder than ever if they are to become the first side to retain the coveted trophy.

As defending champions, the French defender admits to feeling a greater sense of responsibility on his shoulders this season, but sees no reason why United cannot stage a repeat of last season's European triumph.

“I don’t feel more pressure [because we’re European champions], but I feel more responsibility," he told ManUtd.com. "When you play for Manchester United I think it’s easy to win trophies, but to keep hold of them is more difficult.

“You have to work even harder than last season, every day in training and in every game. You also need to make sure you look after yourself off the pitch. Everyone wants to beat you, but we have the squad to do it again. We just have to make sure we fight even harder than last season.”

Victory over Villarreal on Tuesday will ensure safe progression to the Champions League knock-out stages for Sir Alex’s men as group winners. The two sides, currently level on points at the top of Group E, played out a goalless draw at Old Trafford back in September and Evra is expecting another close encounter against the Spaniards in the Reds’ penultimate group clash.

“It’s very important to finish top of the group as we did last season, but it’s also very difficult,” he said. “Villarreal are a good team who play good football and it’s never easy to go to Spain. But hopefully we can get the win we want."

I think Villa played very well but we played better. Limited their chances but Rooney and Park din take their chances, if not, it will be easily a win.

The fixtures are killing Man Utd again, after away to Villa, its away to Villareal and then away to Man City. Really wonder how come so many away games.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    I think Villa played very well but we played better. Limited their chances but Rooney and Park din take their chances, if not, it will be easily a win.

The fixtures are killing Man Utd again, after away to Villa, its away to Villareal and then away to Man City. Really wonder how come so many away games.
    The FA super kelong!

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post

The FA super kelong!
    Agree bros.

The FA super kelong!
    I really dunno how they came up with the fixtures. No wonder Fergie was make noise when the fixtures are published. Every after a midweek CL game, its an away EPL game at the weekend. So far, played Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool away I think and all are really tough. And this weekend, its away to Man City.

Reds' Ronaldo dilemma

Sir Alex Ferguson has a decision to make regarding Cristiano Ronaldo ahead of Tuesday's clash with Villarreal, which could help decide the European champions' last 16 fate.

The boss wants to rest the Portuguese winger given the ankle knocks he received during Saturday's stalemate at Aston Villa. Ronaldo wants to play.

"That gives me a problem," admitted Sir Alex at his pre-match press conference from the team hotel in Valencia, where the Reds have set up base. "I'd rather leave him out, but he wants to play. Players that show that enthusiasm for playing football, you don’t deter it. You encourage it."

The boss has already made one big selection call, opting for Tomasz Kuszczak in goal ahead of Ben Foster. First-choice keeper Edwin van der Sar did not fly to Spain. Also absent from the travelling 20 were Dimitar Berbatov, Gary Neville and Danny Welbeck, plus long-term injured pair Owen Hargreaves and Paul Scholes.

“We’ve been trying to give our other goalkeepers experience," Sir Alex added. "There isn't any better experience than playing in an away European tie. It’s a matter of judging the right type of occasions where you can introduce other players. We won’t have Neville, Berbatov, Brown, so circumstances dictate the side I'll pick."

The Reds want a win against Villarreal to clinch top spot in Group E and hopefully a more favourable draw for the last 16 round in February. Group winners play against the runners-up from another group.

United: Foster, Kuszczak; Evra, Rafael, O'Shea, J.Evans, Ferdinand, Vidic; Fletcher, Possebon, Anderson, Carrick, Ronaldo, Park, Nani, Gibson, Giggs; Rooney, Tevez, Manucho.

Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2136414445464748 ... LastLast