Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035404344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Default Re: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Recently found out from by bro that Fabio is injured thats why no sound no sight of him!
    I see! No wonder he like disappeared into thin air.

About the Tevez situation, lots of rumours in the UK media today.

Manchester United striker Carlos Tevez is determined to fight for his future at Old Trafford. (The Sun)

Real Madrid are interested in the Argentina striker but he wants to stay with United. (Daily Telegraph)

Even if Tevez wanted to join Real in January, he would be unable to move because his contract at United forbids it. (Daily Express)

United want to sign Tevez - who is only on loan with the Red Devils - on a permanent contract. (The Independent)

The Red Devils hope to conclude the deal for the 24-year-old, which could cost them as much as £30m, before the Club World Cup in Japan in December. (The Times)

Reds draw Rovers
    The Reds have been drawn at home against Blackburn Rovers in the Carling Cup quarter-finals.

The last eight tie will be played at Old Trafford during the week commencing 1 December, between United's league games against Manchester City away and Sunderland at home.

The draw in full:
    Stoke City v Derby County
    United v Blackburn Rovers
    Burnley v Arsenal
    Watford v Tottenham Hotspur

The quarter-finals could again see Sir Alex giving a chance to some of his young stars, a policy which benefits defender Jonny Evans.

The centre-back shone in Tuesday's win over QPR and is hoping for more opportunities in the last eight of the competition.

"The manager always gives youngsters a chance here, so hopefully I'll get more games," he said.

"Some of us - me, Darron Gibson and Danny Welbeck - have been here for a few years now and have been playing with the first team for quite a while, so it's easier for us to step in. It would be nice to get another run-out."
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Half-century for Sir Alex

One of the greatest careers in British football history began with a bite 50 years ago today (15 November).

Sir Alex Ferguson made his playing debut for Queens Park FC, Scotland's oldest club but still an amateur team when he made his breakthrough in a game away to Stranraer.

"Queens Park were always competitive, even if they were an amateur team," Sir Alex recalled in his regular Friday press conference.

"They had doctors, teachers and other people with professions in the team but were they namby-pamby players? No, they were tough as nails! Every one of them was very, very competitive, as was the man in charge of us, Jackie Gardiner.

"I didn't do too well in the first half on my debut. Gardiner said to me at half-time, “What the hell's wrong with you?” I told him an opponent had bitten me. He said, “Well bite him back!”

"That was an indication of how we had to be at Queens Park - you didn’t sidestep players, you went through them. But it was a great upbringing - one or two of the older players looked after me when I was a young boy, like making sure I got the bus home at night."

Despite his early potential - Sir Alex scored in his next match - he almost left the game and his native Scotland when a chance to earn good money in his other trade presented itself.

"In those early years you’re never quite sure which direction you’re going to go in. When I was 21, I almost emigrated to Canada, where I had family. I was a qualified tool-maker and that was a well-paid trade in Canada at the time. But things changed and that’s fate."

3 mins into the game and Ronaldo got his 100th goal for Man Utd.

Man Utd 1 - 0 Stoke

5-0

POWER!

can someone post up the last goal from Ronaldo?

i missed that ....(was preparing dinner)

Great to see Evans, Welback and Manucho on!

and welback's goal was sublime!, out curling into corner of goal...

and arses lose again!

Oooo quite exciting to see Welbeck scoring and doing well on his home debut in EPL. If he goes on like that, he will have a future at Man Utd. And so does F. Campbell as well as he scored a goal today for Spurs although they lost.

I'm not racist but Man Utd have 2 black strikers and both looks like they might have a future at the club and for England, plus Theo Walcott, they have 3 black guys and all are good. If Campbell and Welbeck develop well, oooo they and the Brazilian twins can be Man Utd double twin terrors!

Excellent 5-0 win. Ronaldo really outfox Stoke's keeper twice. Berba's, Carrick and Welbeck goals are all very nice as well. Manucho looks a bit off the pace but he is still new and a foreign guy, so it takes time I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Half-century for Sir Alex

One of the greatest careers in British football history began with a bite 50 years ago today (15 November).

Sir Alex Ferguson made his playing debut for Queens Park FC, Scotland's oldest club but still an amateur team when he made his breakthrough in a game away to Stranraer.

"Queens Park were always competitive, even if they were an amateur team," Sir Alex recalled in his regular Friday press conference.

"They had doctors, teachers and other people with professions in the team but were they namby-pamby players? No, they were tough as nails! Every one of them was very, very competitive, as was the man in charge of us, Jackie Gardiner.

"I didn't do too well in the first half on my debut. Gardiner said to me at half-time, “What the hell's wrong with you?” I told him an opponent had bitten me. He said, “Well bite him back!”

"That was an indication of how we had to be at Queens Park - you didn’t sidestep players, you went through them. But it was a great upbringing - one or two of the older players looked after me when I was a young boy, like making sure I got the bus home at night."

Despite his early potential - Sir Alex scored in his next match - he almost left the game and his native Scotland when a chance to earn good money in his other trade presented itself.

"In those early years you’re never quite sure which direction you’re going to go in. When I was 21, I almost emigrated to Canada, where I had family. I was a qualified tool-maker and that was a well-paid trade in Canada at the time. But things changed and that’s fate."
    Lucky he din become a tool maker :bmsilie: At least, I dun think being a tool maker can be a millionaire and get knighted as he is now. Lucky for him and Man Utd. A pair made for each other!

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Lucky he din become a tool maker :bmsilie: At least, I dun think being a tool maker can be a millionaire and get knighted as he is now. Lucky for him and Man Utd. A pair made for each other!
    Couldn't agree more bro. They are indeed made for each other. Definitely a legend.

Report: United 5 Stoke 0

United's class shone through in a five-star display against Stoke City. Cristiano Ronaldo struck twice, both from free-kicks, while Michael Carrick, Dimitar Berbatov and Danny Welbeck all chipped in as Stoke were well and truly outplayed and outclassed.

The Reds went into the game without Wayne Rooney, who has been suffering with a chest infection, and Rio Ferdinand – a loss when you consider the threat Stoke pose from set pieces. With that in mind, Sir Alex went for height in his team. John O’Shea lined up at right-back alongside Nemanja Vidic and Jonny Evans, with Cristiano Ronaldo, Darren Fletcher and Michael Carrick in midfield all over 6ft.

It was a good job as Stoke’s play favours the aerially adept. The first five minutes was more a game of head tennis than football. But while the pre-match talk centred on Stoke's secret weapon - Rory Delap’s throw-ins - people seemed to have forgotten all about Ronaldo’s speciality: a viciously swerving free-kick.

Three minutes in, Abdoulaye Faye’s foul on Carlos Tevez gave Ronaldo the chance to showcase his talent. From 30 yards out, Ronaldo’s trademark run-up and unique style of striking the ball yielded the desired result: a shot that shifted in the air so wickedly that Thomas Sorensen lost its flight and the ball crashed into the roof of the net. It was the Portuguese winger’s 100th United goal, and one to savour.

It took 12 minutes for Delap to get his hands on the ball, leading to a pantomime-like exchance between the two sets of fans; Stoke cheering in fevered anticipation and the Stretford End booing. The embanked touchlines at Old Trafford don’t favour the throw-in expert, but the delivery was still dangerous, flicked on at the front post with Edwin van der Sar clawing it away from goal.

Stoke’s fans were certainly giddy – “stand up if you beat Arsenal” they sang, before endlessly taunting Ronaldo. Their supporters are enjoying their time in the top flight as much as the team, so it’s difficult to begrudge them –annoying though United fans may have found them – particularly as they’re one of the more vocal away followings to have visited M16 recently.

United’s first half performance had been steady, if not always penetrative. But just as it looked like the Reds would not add to the scoreline before the break, Carrick spliced open the Stoke defence again, this time with a powerful left-footed drive that found a route through a crowd of yellow shirts into the top corner.

The Reds began the second half with renewed intent. Tevez’s lofted pass played Berbatov in almost immediately after the restart. But the Bulgarian was eventually crowded out. Minutes later the same combination led to United’s third goal as Berbatov controlled Tevez’s cross before turning and drilling low past Sorensen.

The United fans in the old scoreboard end should be credited with one of the chants of the season: “You’ve only come to see your throw-ins”, such was the excitement in the away end whenever the ball went out of play. The constant banter between United and Stoke's fans added to the game as a spectacle. It spurred United on. Ronaldo left Sorensen befuddled with another thundering free kick, while Tevez hungrily chased a
    goal.

Such was United’s comfort, Sir Alex brought on Danny Welbeck, Darron Gibson and Manucho in place of Park, the outstanding Darren Fletcher and the equally impressive Carlos Tevez. Welbeck’s cameo brought another fine flourish in a game of goals to savour. Picking up the ball 35 yards from goal, the 17-year-old pressed forward before unleashing a screamer of a shot into the top corner – talk about making your mark, it was the pick of the bunch.

Stoke will have learned many lessons on the biggest Premier League stage. One their fans may like to remember is that mocking Ronaldo usually results in one outcome, and he delivered it with a second free-kick, this time from 20 yards, arrowed into the bottom corner in the final throes of the match. Stoke are clearly an effective team – their results against Aston Villa, Arsenal and Liverpool this season illustrate that point – but as long as United matched their endeavour, the Reds’ sheer quality was bound to win through, which it did, in all its glory.

Team Line-ups

United: Van der Sar; O'Shea, Vidic, Evans, Evra; Ronaldo, Fletcher (Gibson 63), Carrick, Park (Welbeck 63); Tevez (Manucho 75), Berbatov.
    Subs not used: Foster, Anderson, Nani, Rafael.
    Booked: Evra

Stoke: Sorensen; Griffin (Wilkinson 78), Shawcross Ab.Faye, Higgingbothom; Olofinjana (Cresswell 32), Diao, Am.Faye, Delap; Sidibe, Fuller (Kitson 69).
    Subs not used: Simonsen, Cort, Whelan, Tonge.
    Booked: Fuller, Delap

Welbeck playing it cool

Danny Welbeck announced his arrival on the Premier League stage with a wonder goal in the 5-0 win over Stoke City, but the level-headed striker has promised to keep his feet firmly on the ground.

Welbeck doesn’t turn 18 until the end of this month, but he has already caused a stir among those in the know with some exciting displays in the Carling Cup this season. But to score on his Premier League debut is the biggest indication yet of the talent he possesses.

“It feels amazing,” he told MUTV after the game. “Scoring in front of the Stretford End is what every young boy from Manchester dreams of. I loved it. I wouldn’t say I’ve dreamt about it, but I’ve thought about it every day of my life ever since I started playing football. There’s nothing better.”

The goal, a shot from 30 yards which flew into the top corner, also shows his limitless confidence in his own ability. “I got the ball on the edge of the centre-circle and I knew Ryan Shawcross was behind me. I played a one-two with Manucho, took a touch and just thought, ‘I’m going to hit it’.

“I was just relieved to see it hit the back of the net. I’m not going to lie, I’ve seen replays of it a few times already!”

But he’s not getting too carried away. “I’m sure the manager will help me keep my feet on the ground but I’m quite level-headed anyway, so I’ll just take it all in my stride. I just want more opportunities. It’s made me hungry for more. Playing with these players in the first team – there’s no better experience. I’m willing to learn and improve as much as I can as a player.”

Sir Alex: Ronaldo's on fire

Sir Alex Ferguson says Cristiano Ronaldo has reached top form after watching the Reds winger strike two unstoppable free-kicks in the 5-0 win over Stoke.

The United boss was pleased to see Ronaldo score his 100th and 101st goals for the Reds with two wonderfully struck set-pieces.

It indicates that the Portuguese winger is now back to his very best following a start to the season disrupted by an ankle operation in the summer.

"You saw his celebration, he was very pleased and the crowd were delighted," said Sir Alex.

"He's on fire now, he's back. He's overcome his operation and he is getting quicker with every game. His fitness levels are fantastic. The boy is back."

United's five-star performance against Stoke wasn't all about Ronaldo. Michael Carrick, Dimitar Berbatov and Premier League debutant Danny Welbeck also chipped in. And Sir Alex was pleased with the way the Reds defended against Stoke's physical and aerial threats.

"We did some work on it during the week. We handled the throw-ins very well - I think the crowd helped us there!" he said refferring to United's fans jeering whenever their was a throw-in that didn't fluster the Reds rearguard.

Danny has what it takes

Michael Carrick says Danny Welbeck has the star quality required to make the grade at Old Trafford.

The 17-year-old Reds striker marked his Premier League debut by smashing a shot into the top corner in front of the Stretford End during United's 5-0 win over Stoke. But Carrick insists Welbeck won’t get carried away.

“He’s so talented,” Michael told MUTV. “We see it every day in training. It’s nice for him to produce it on the big stage. His temperament is spot on, though, so he won’t get carried away. He’s got a good chance of achieving big things here.”

Welbeck’s incredible strike late in the game was as much an indication of his unshakeable confidence as his ability to utilise the talent he possesses. Now Carrick wants to see the Longsight-born forward excel in the first-team arena.

“What a goal,” said Carrick, who was also among the scorers on an incredible afternoon. “To come on and score a goal like that must be beyond his wildest dreams. I’m sure he’ll build on that.

“He’s got bags of ability and good temperament, so he suits playing for us. I’m not sure about the celebration, but he can work on that!”

Carrick also took time to praise Ronaldo for reaching the incredible landmark of 101 goals for United in his 253rd Reds appearance.

“His scoring record is unbelievable, especially for a winger,” he said. “Even for a goal-poaching centre-forward it’d be a good record. It’s incredible that he scores as many as he does, but his game is about so much more than that. It’s a fantastic achievement and a credit to him.”

Carrick passed a goals landmark of his own on Saturday, albeit on a smaller scale to Ronaldo, with his first-half strike against the Potters. It was his tenth goal for the Reds and, after grabbing his second goal of the season, admits that he’d like to contribute more.

“It was a nice strike,” he added. “I managed to turn and get half a yard and just hit through the back of the ball and it went in. It’s something I’d like to do more of, I’d like to get a few goals. Hopefully there’s more to come.”

Fitting scoreline for Sir Alex

Sir Alex Ferguson acknowledged a special anniversary but then looked to the future after a young United eleven finished the Stoke City game in some style at Old Trafford.

The manager made his playing debut as a teenager for Queens Park 50 years ago and young players dominated his thoughts after the appropriate 5-0 pulverising of Tony Pulis' Potters.

"The scoreline was fantastic, but I didn't think we played that well in the first half," admitted Sir Alex on MUTV.

"I thought Stoke did really well, they kept their midfield close to the back four - very difficult to break down.

"Maybe we scored too early (through Ronaldo in the 3rd minute) but the speed of our game wasn't as good as it normally is.

"The goal on half-time killed Stoke and thereafter the second-half performance was marvellous. There was some great football, some great goals."

The greatest of them all was scored by Danny Welbeck, who entered the fray with Darron Gibson in a double substitution in the 63rd minute. And with Manucho also coming on and 20 year-old Jonny Evans completing the full 90, it made for a young side leaving the field triumphantly at the final whistle.

"We've got some fantastic young players. We'll be patient and take our time with them and they'll be okay," Sir Alex added.

Ratings: United v Stoke City

Edwin van der Sar
    Probably his quietest afternoon of the season as Stoke failed to trouble United's defence.

Patrice Evra
    Not much to do at the back, Evra bombed forward in the second half as the visitors tired in the face of United's dominance.

Nemanja Vidic
    Stoke's powerful strikers have troubled more than a few Premier League defenders this season, but they've rarely faced a centre-back of Vidic's quality.

Jonny Evans
    His best performance in a Red shirt. Unflappable alongside Vidic, and not afraid to mix it with Stoke's big forwards. Sir Alex will have been delighted with his confident display.

John O'Shea
    Filling in at right-back to help deal with Stoke's aerial threat, Sheasy enjoyed a busy opening 45 minutes more in attack than defence but nearly scored an own goal following Delap's first monster throw-in.

Michael Carrick
    Quietly effective first half that burst into life with a clinical left-foot shot to put United two up before the break. Asserted his authority after the interval as he took up more of an attacking remit.

Darren Fletcher
    Dominant in midfield, Fletch enjoyed a highly industrious hour on the pitch and thoroughly deserved the standing ovation afforded him by the Stretford End.

Ji-sung Park
    A constant menace, Park could have scored towards the end of the first half with a nifty turn and shot.

Cristiano Ronaldo
    His best performance of the season - how much was he inspired by the vocal visiting support? Hammered home 100th and 101st United goals from left-sided free kicks and gave Stoke's bamboozled defenders a nightmare afternoon.

Dimitar Berbatov
    Pure quality. The Bulgarian was more than happy to drop deep in the first half as United swarmed over the Potters, and coolly dispatched his sixth goal of the season just after the interval.

Carlos Tevez
    No goals but another all-action display. The Argentinian was involved in the two of the first three goals - fouled by Faye to set up Ronaldo's free kick opener, and teed up Berbatov for the third.

Substitutes

Danny Welbeck (on for Park, 63) Remember the name! The 17-year-old announced his Premier League arrival with a thunderous, swerving drive from 25 yards out. A day the Longsight lad will never forget.

Darron Gibson (on for Fletcher, 63) The Irish midfielder will have enjoyed his second Old Trafford appearance in a week, particularly as it marked his Premier League debut.

Manucho (on for Tevez, 75) Could have opened his United account minutes after his late introduction, but headed over from six yards.

League: Arsenal slip up

Arsenal’s title hopes were dealt a blow after they suffered their fourth Barclays Premier League defeat of the season.
    The Gunners failed to capitalise on their win over United last week, succumbing to a 2-0 defeat to Aston Villa at the Emirates. A Clichy own-goal put the Villans one up, before Gabriel Agbonlahor sealed the win with ten minutes to spare.
    Liverpool briefly reclaimed top spot on Saturday after goals from Dirk Kuyt and Steven Gerrard sealed a 2-0 win over Bolton, but a convincing 3-0 Chelsea win over the Baggies put the Blues back on top. Jose Bosingwa opened the scoring with a thunderous strike, before Nicholas Anelka continued his rich vein of form by netting a brace to put the game to bed.
    Elsewhere, Harry Redknapp’s magic touch finally wore off as Fulham clinched a 2-1 win over Tottenham at Craven Cottage. Simon Davies and Andrew Johnson put the Cottagers in front, before on-loan Reds striker Fraizer Campbell replied with a consolation goal for Spurs.
    Roy Keane’s Sunderland came from behind to beat Blackburn 2-1 at Ewood Park after Christopher Samba had opened the scoring on the stroke of half time. Goals from Kenwyne Jones and Djibril Cisse sealed the Black Cats' fight-back.
    A late flurry of goals at St. James Park resulted in a 2-2 draw between Newcastle and Wigan. The Latics held a 1-0 lead for 77minutes courtesy of a third minute Ryan Taylor goal, before Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins scored in the last ten minutes to put the Magpies in front. Titus Bramble recovered a point for Wigan with just one minute left.
    At Upton Park the flair of Gianfranco Zola was tempered by a trademark Tony Adams brick wall as West Ham’s match with Portsmouth ended in a 0-0 deadlock.

U18s: United 4 Bolton 1

United's Under-18s cruised to an impressive 4-1 victory over Bolton Wanderers at Carrington on Saturday.

The win stretches Paul McGuinness' side's unbeaten run to five games as the third-placed Reds keep the pressure up on second-placed Liverpool in the Premier Academy League.

Federico Macheda continued his fine goalscoring form at youth level this season by getting United off the mark on eight minutes.

Under-18s skipper Matty James, who himself has chipped in with a number of important goals this term, doubled the lead just after the half hour mark.

Bolton then scored twice in two minutes shortly after the break, but unfortunately for them the first was an own goal.

Fifteen minutes from time England schoolboy international Ravel Morrison, on as a 69th minute replacement for Cameron Stewart, completed the scoring and wrapped up the three points United richly deserved.

United: Devlin; Brown (Tunnicliffe 21), Strickland, Gill, Dudgeon; Stewart (Morrison 69), James, Norwood, Brady (Ajose); Petrucci, Macheda.
    Subs not used: Wootton, Brandao.

Yeah....our U18 is improving!

Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    5-0

POWER!

can someone post up the last goal from Ronaldo?

i missed that ....(was preparing dinner)

Great to see Evans, Welback and Manucho on!

and welback's goal was sublime!, out curling into corner of goal...

and arses lose again!

It have been a long time snice we win by more then 4 goals snice our 7-1 trashing of Roma!
    We are always stuck by 4 goals!

The gooners are going to drop more points!

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Fitting scoreline for Sir Alex

Sir Alex Ferguson acknowledged a special anniversary but then looked to the future after a young United eleven finished the Stoke City game in some style at Old Trafford.

The manager made his playing debut as a teenager for Queens Park 50 years ago and young players dominated his thoughts after the appropriate 5-0 pulverising of Tony Pulis' Potters.

"The scoreline was fantastic, but I didn't think we played that well in the first half," admitted Sir Alex on MUTV.

"I thought Stoke did really well, they kept their midfield close to the back four - very difficult to break down.

"Maybe we scored too early (through Ronaldo in the 3rd minute) but the speed of our game wasn't as good as it normally is.

"The goal on half-time killed Stoke and thereafter the second-half performance was marvellous. There was some great football, some great goals."

The greatest of them all was scored by Danny Welbeck, who entered the fray with Darron Gibson in a double substitution in the 63rd minute. And with Manucho also coming on and 20 year-old Jonny Evans completing the full 90, it made for a young side leaving the field triumphantly at the final whistle.

"We've got some fantastic young players. We'll be patient and take our time with them and they'll be okay," Sir Alex added.

What a way to celebrate 50yrs in soccer. 5-0 for 50
    Last edited by melvin; 19th November 2008 at 06:18 PM.

Fergie was given a 2 match touchline ban for protesting to the ref after that Hull game. The FA is really screwed up and their refs are equally as screwed as them.

Papers: Ronaldo's 1-2-3

Cristiano Ronaldo: I'm the top 3 players in the world
    Cristiano Ronaldo has rated himself the best three players in the world! And the Manchester United winger says he fully deserves to be named FIFA Player of the Year. Ronaldo is a firm favourite for the award after his 42 goals fired United to the Premier League and Champions League last season. "I am the first, second and third-best player in the world," he joked ahead of a trip to Brazil with Portugal for a friendly in Brasilia this week. There are other good candidates, like Kaka, Messi and Torres. I think that I did everything that is necessary to win and I am going to continue doing more. My goal is to win everything in front of me."
    David McDonnell, Daily Mirror

Press previews on the eve of England's game in Germany anticipate Michael Carrick's rare cap, now that midfield rivals Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard have been ruled out.

Danny Welbeck's involvement in tonight's U21 international against Czech Republic has put Sir Alex Ferguson "on collision course with the FA over starlet Danny Welbeck" (The Sun). The United boss is quoted as saying, "Young Welbeck has only played one game and 15 minutes since suffering an injury playing for England. I’d prefer he got some basis of training before we start playing out-and-out football all the time."

The Star claims United are tracking Valerenga’s Norwegian striker Moa Abdellaoui.

Round up by Adam Bostock

Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035404344454647 ... LastLast