Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12273235363738394247 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Default Re: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Wayne wants a Goodison gift
    The fixture-list computer has surpassed itself again… teeing up Wayne Rooney for a trip back to Everton on his birthday weekend.

Twenty-three today (Friday), the in-form Reds striker will set his sights tomorrow on scoring at the ground where he grew up in football. If he does so, it will not only extend Rooney’s extraordinary run of netting in every October fixture in 2007 and 2008, it will also complete a hat-trick of goals at Everton in his three consecutive visits there with United.

In an exclusive interview, Rooney told ManUtd.com: “Going to Everton is something I look forward to at the beginning of every season. I can’t wait for it to come around. It’s the day after my birthday this year and I’m sure it will be a nice present if I score and we win.”

If Rooney gets his wish, then his relatives, many of them staunch Everton supporters, are likely to have mixed feelings as they tuck into a piece of birthday cake.

“Most of my family support Everton and they go to all the games so I’m sure they’ll want a draw with me scoring – I think that would be a perfect result for my family! But I’m looking to try and get the three points for United. We need to continue our good run of form.”

Everton, on the other hand, are on a poor run with no win in seven matches in all competitions and no home victory at all this season. But Wayne doesn’t expect to find a dangerous wounded animal at Goodison Park – just the same exuberant Everton.

“I think it’s the same whenever we go there. They work really hard and put a lot of pressure on you when you’ve got the ball.

“The Everton fans are always really up for the game, it’s a great atmosphere. And myself going back there gives them extra incentive to get behind their team. We know it will be difficult. We have to just play our game and hopefully be good enough to win.”

Report: Everton 1 United 1
    United ground out a hard-fought point at Goodison Park, surviving a second-half onslaught from Everton after utterly dominating the first period.

Darren Fletcher put the Reds ahead midway through the first half, and Everton were dependent on an inspired first 45 minutes from former United goalkeeper Tim Howard to keep them in the game.

A fired up Toffees side turned the game on its head after the break, however, upsetting United's rhythm and drawing level through Marouane Fellaini's towering header.

The second half was a far cry from the first, when United looked sharp from the very first whistle. Ryan Giggs and Fletcher in particular were inspired, dominating the central midfield battle against a Toffees side shorn of the suspended Tim Cahill.

The pair gave a masterclass in movement and one-touch passing. Giggs saw an early shot saved by Howard and Fletcher had a header deflected wide but, after 21 minutes, the pair combined to devastating effect.

Fletcher's initial blocked shot ricocheted to Giggs, 30 yards out. The Welshman threaded a perfect ball through to Fletcher, who had continued his run, and watched on as one touch bypassed Joleon Lescott, and a second slipped the ball between Howard's legs.

An already one-sided encounter looked like it become embarrassingly so as United, buoyed by the goal, surged forward in search of more. But for the efforts of Howard, who at one point made three fine saves in a minute, Everton would have been buried by the break.

First, the American tipped Ronaldo's 30-yarder round the post, then reacted brilliantly to keep out Nemanja Vidic's flicked header from the resultant corner. In the same passage of play, Giggs beat two players and curled an effort goalwards, only for Howard to tip it wide.

In a rare Everton foray forward, Vidic was booked for a lunging challenge on former team-mate Louis Saha. Giggs almost followed the Serbian into the book minutes later for exactly the same act, but referee Alan Wiley spotted that the Welshman had slipped.

Wayne Rooney, chasing his 100th career club goal just a day after his 23rd birthday, was almost able to celebrate his landmark at the Gladwys Street End, but was denied a clear sight of goal by a superb last-ditch challenge from Phil Jagielka.

At half-time, the main worry for United was that such dominance had yielded just the one goal. Everton's trademark pluck - on the field and in the stands - had been nowhere before the interval. After it, it was a different story.

David Moyes' side flew out of the traps, hurtling into challenges and whipping the home crowd into a frenzy. One such challenge - an after-the-whistle lunge from Phil Neville on Ronaldo, had United's players incensed, but referee Wiley opted to brandish just a yellow card to the former Reds defender.

That decision proved telling after 64 minutes, when Neville whipped in a superb right-wing cross, and giant midfielder Fellaini was on hand to power in a header.

The goal been coming, and matters could have been worsened a minute later when Rio Ferdinand underhit a backpass. Yakubu strode through on goal, but Edwin van der Sar did brilliantly to tip the Nigerian's shot onto the post.

United drew the sting out of Everton's approach in the latter stages, and twice could have snatched the points through Ronaldo. Firstly though, Yobo managed to deflect away his close-range effort, before the winger dragged a clear shot wide with just two minutes remaining.

Despite some five minutes of added time being played, that was the final meaningful act of the match. Although the Reds did well to weather a post-interval storm, Sir Alex Ferguson will undoubtedly see this result as two points dropped.

Team Line-ups

Everton: Howard; P Neville, Jagielka, Yobo, Lescott; Arteta, Fellaini, Osman, Pienaar; Saha (Anichebe 90), Yakubu (Vaughan 88).
    Subs not used: Nash, Baines, Valente, Castillo, Rodwell.
    Booked: Jagielka, P Neville, Fellaini.

Manchester United: Van der Sar; Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra; Ronaldo, Fletcher (Tevez 77), Giggs, Park (Anderson 66); Berbatov, Rooney (Nani 69).
    Subs not used: Kuszczak, G Neville, J Evans, O'Shea.
    Booked: Vidic, Rooney, Brown.

Ratings: Everton v United

ManUtd.com's Steve Bartram runs the rule over United's individual displays in a game of two halves at Goodison Park...

Edwin van der Sar - Having had nothing to do in the first half, the Dutchman was far busier after the break. No chance with the goal, but his save from Yakubu ultimately saved a point for the Reds.

Wes Brown - Strong in the challenge before the break, but Wes was under substantially more pressure in the second period, and was booked for a late challenge on Yakubu.

Rio Ferdinand - Lucky to get away with his underhit backpass when van der Sar saved his bacon, but Rio was otherwise exemplary once more.

Nemanja Vidic - Out-jumped by man-mountain Fellaini for Everton's goal, but the Serbian was otherwise excellent, despite garnering an early booking.

Patrice Evra - A solid display from the Frenchman. Solid in defence again, but the final ball let down a couple of trademark surges forward.

Cristiano Ronaldo - Heavily involved in the first half, Ronny was the subject of more attention after the break - from Phil Neville in particular. Nevertheless, the winger dusted himself down and twice came close to snatching the points.

Darren Fletcher - Brilliant movement and finish for the goal - his third of the season - and a burgeoning partnership with Giggs in central midfield.

Ryan Giggs - An absolutely outstanding display from United's captain and eldest player. Touch, poise, drive, Giggs had everything. A sublime assist for Fletcher's goal, and only a great save from Howard denied him a deserved goal.

Ji-sung Park - Plenty of decent touches and movement from the Korean, as gradually garners more match action. Replaced by Anderson after the break.

Wayne Rooney - No dream return to Goodison for Wazza. Although he showed plenty of his fine recent form, his simmering mood after the interval prompted his subsitution for Nani.

Dimitar Berbatov - The Bulgarian was the quiet hub of United's first-half attacking menace, but played a more peripheral role after the interval.

Substitutes

Nani - A frustrating cameo for the young winger, who did well to engineer space for himself, only for the final ball to prove wanting.

Anderson - The Brazilian was heavily involved after replacing Park, soothing Everton's momentum and injecting drive into United's own attacking endeavours.

Carlos Tevez - Handed a limited outing, but still showed plenty of hustle and bustle as United probed for a late winner.

Boss laments dropped points

Sir Alex Ferguson was left to rue United's missed chances after being held to a 1-1 draw at Goodison Park, but conceded that Everton's tigerish second half display was worthy of a point.

Darren Fletcher's first half strike was United's only reward for a dominant, swaggering first-half display in which Tim Howard performed heroics for Everton. After the interval, however, the hosts upped their physical approach and snatched a draw through
    Marouane Fellaini's header.

"We've thrown it away in a way because we've had so much control of the match," Sir Alex told MUTV. "It's disappointing to lose two points for that.

"We had good chances, we played some fantastic football. It was a golden spell for us and these are the times you should be capitalising. We didn't, and we've suffered.

"But you have to give credit to Everton, they've fought like tigers the second half, they changed the pattern of their game and got stuck right into us. We've only ourselves to blame and we can't deny Everton their point."

Despite the disappointment of dropping points at Goodison Park, Sir Alex is in confident mood going into the Reds' next two games - the visits of West Ham and Hull City.

"The form of the team is good," he said. "I think we're playing some great football. We were maybe a bit careless in the second half and we lived to regret that. The important thing is the form of the team. They're all fit, all looking well and we've got a good squad here."

We should have coped better

Ryan Giggs says the Reds should not have allowed Everton's gutsy second half display to upset their rhythm after totally outplaying the home side before the break.

The Reds utterly dominated the first period with Giggs pulling the strings in the centre of midfield and it was the skipper's pinpoint pass into the path of Darren Fletcher which led to United's opener on 21 minutes.

But a rejuvenated Everton side, no doubt given the hairdryer treatment by David Moyes at half-time, came out fighting after the restart eventually drawing level through Marouane Fellaini.

"We knew we needed that second goal because we expected Everton to put us under a lot of pressure after the break and that's how it proved," Giggs told MUTV.

"They got in about us, got the ball forward to Louis [Saha] and Yakubu who are both a handful, and in general made it difficult for us.

"We should have been able to overcome that though because it's something we're used to. But unfortunately we couldn't really get back into our rhythm and we just didn't pass and move as well as we did before the break.

"When you go 1-0 ahead at a place like this you do feel it's two points dropped," added the 34-year-old. "But in the end we could have lost it. So we're disappointed, but know it could have been worse."

While Everton's blood and thunder approach ultimately earned them a valuable point, it also somewhat irked Sir Alex's men particularly when former Red Phil Neville clattered into Cristiano Ronaldo midway through the second period.

"Tackles were flying in and you accept that in these kind of games," said Giggs. "But I felt Cristiano was on the floor and couldn't really defend himself."

Substitution saved Rooney

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that Wayne Rooney was substituted to avoid being sent off against Everton.

The former Goodison favourite, who has shared a fiery relationship with Everton fans since leaving the club in 2004, was booked by referee Alan Wiley for an innocuous looking challenge midway through the second half of Saturday's draw.

Rooney reacted to the home fans' baitings by kissing his United badge, further fanning the flames, and was substituted shortly after amid fears that Wiley's unpredictable behaviour could have seen Rooney red-carded.

"I don't know why he was booked," said Sir Alex. "The crowd obviously got him booked but the way the referee was behaving, I feared he may be sent off. For no reason, of course, but just the way the crowd was reacting, getting him booked in the first place, I just felt I had to take him off."

While Sir Alex paid tribute to Everton's feisty approach, he admitted that he expected to see his players given more protection by referee Wiley.

"There were tackles everywhere and I don't think the referee protected our players enough," said the manager. "I felt for a while as if I was watching Australian rules!

"The way the modern game is, with the speed of challenges, you have to be careful. Some tackles were going on there that weren't right. It's the referee's job to make sure the players are protected, and I don't think they were."

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Boss laments dropped points

Din managed to watch the match but was told that 1st half, the team played very well but slacked in the 2nd half. Not very good like that.

Both side played very well and if Man U had played as well as they did in the 1st half, we could have won the match. I would say that 1-1 is fair. We have to do better in our coming matches.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

28/10/2008 09:36, Report by Steve Bartram

Vidic reveals early fears

Nemanja Vidic feared United were on the brink of surrending the Premier League title before the end of September.

Injuries, mixed form and a tough fixture list, which included trips to Portsmouth, Liverpool and Chelsea all conspired to leave the Reds with five points from the first four games of the season.

“We didn’t start well in the first few games and when you don’t have a good start you worry about what might happen," Vidic told the Mirror. "You begin to think, ‘If we lose one more game we could be out of the Premier League’.

“It’s something at the back of your mind and you feel the pressure. When you have that you get worried about what you might do in a game."

Since drawing at Stamford Bridge in September, however, United have won six of the last seven games and conceded just two goals. In such a rich vein of form, Vidic admits confidence is oozing out of the Reds' performances.

“But when you start to win, that brings the confidence back and when you are winning and scoring goals, like we are now, the confidence starts to flow.

“We’ve started to look like a team again, compact and with the right shape.

“I feel we’ve definitely got more now than last season. I believe we can be better but we can only show that on the pitch. Then you will see how much we improve. And at the end of the season, we can say we did.”

Rio's best yet to come

Rio Ferdinand has been one of United's most consistent performers over the last recent seasons - but Sir Alex Ferguson feels he will only get better as he enters the peak years of his career.

The 29-year-old was yesterday voted into the FIFPro World XI, recognition from his peers of the quality of his play.

"Rio's best years are in front of him," said Sir Alex. "He is easily going to play for the next five years. He looks after himself and he is very fit so I would expect him to be here for that length of time."

Ferdinand's emergence as one of the finest, most complete, defenders in the game is largely down to gathering experience, according to the Reds boss.

"Rio has leadership qualities and we are really starting to see maturity in his game," he added. "We always knew that he was good at taking the ball out of defence because he has such wonderful balance and great pace.

"Now we are seeing more edge to his game and more of a contribution in terms of being voluble towards his team-mates. He is much better at that."

Ferdinand early ability to adapt to most positions on the field - there was talk during his early days at West Ham of him playing as a deep-lying midfielder - has seemingly made his all-round game stronger.

"We tried playing him in midfield against Blackburn but he got sent off," joked the boss.
    "He has always had a natural composure on the ball. His pace always gets him out of spots of trouble and he has lovely balance.
    "They are three great assets to have in a defender because normally you talk about forwards and wingers being like that. All in all, you would have to say the lad has a lot going for him."

Tevez tips Double repeat

Carlos Tevez is convinced United have the quality to repeat last season's Double triumph.

The reigning champions of England and Europe have recovered after a slow start to the season, and Argentine striker Tevez can only see things getting better.

"I am convinced the entire squad is capable of maintaining the challenge throughout the season and staying at the top of the Premier League," he told MUTV.

"After Christmas we have to play teams like Chelsea and Liverpool at home. We are going to be up there all the way throughout the season because we have the quality throughout the squad to be doing that."

The Reds have taken seven points from three Champions League games so far this term, and Tevez sees no reason why Sir Alex Ferguson's squad cannot become the first since AC Milan - back in 1990 - to retain the trophy.

"I think we have the squad capable of retaining the trophy," said the Argentine. "Whether we host teams here in Manchester or away we are capable of giving anyone a game and of beating anyone in the competition.

"The usual suspects - Real Madrid, Inter, Barcelona, Chelsea and Liverpool - are always there, and retaining the trophy is a challenge we are looking forward to."

Possebon chasing fitness

Rodrigo Possebon admits he is still approaching full fitness after missing a month of United's season.

The Brazilian midfielder made a scoring return to action against Manchester City's Reserves last week, having been sidelined by Emanuel Pogatetz's lunging challenge in September.

"I'm not in my own pace yet, but I'm training hard and games like that are good to get back again," Rodrigo told MUTV. "I'm doing some extra after training in the gym. I need to push myself to get my best fitness again."

Possebon excelled against the Blues, bagging a fine goal from long distance, and he is intent on plugging away for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side in order to gain more tastes of senior action - despite his setback against Middlesbrough.

"I feel very good to score a nice goal because it's a derby," he said. "It's a very important match for Manchester United. We always play, waiting for a chance in the first team.

"We train and play in the Reserves and try to perform well. In the Carling Cup the boss put in some young players and we need to take those chances and do our best. I want to be involved in as many games as I can and I want to give my best performances."

Papers: Greek star wanted?

United target £3m Greek ace
    Sir Alex Ferguson is ready to splash £3million in January on Greek wonderkid Kyriakos Papadopoulos. Manchester United chiefs have already opened talks with the defender’s club, Olympiakos. The 16-year-old — also a target for Espanyol — holds the record as the youngest player in the Greek league.
    Staff reporter, The Sun

The Sun also reports that Wayne Rooney will not be punished for his badge kissing against Everton. The FA have confirmed they will not be investigating the matter further as referee Alan Wiley saw the incident at the time and had a quiet word with Rooney.

Sir Alex Ferguson has set Cristiano Ronaldo a revised target of at least 25 goals from his injury-hit season, say the Daily Mail. "I still think he will beat 25," said Sir Alex.

Diego Tristan is facing a baptism of fire for West Ham at United tomorrow night. The ex-Spain striker, 32, hopes to make his debut at Old Trafford after Hammers boss Gianfranco Zola opted not to appeal against the red card shown to Carlton Cole against Arsenal on Sunday.

Boss backs Neville recall

Sir Alex Ferguson has his fingers crossed that Gary Neville completes his comeback from injury with a return to the England fold.
    The Reds' veteran club captain has not featured for his country since February 2007 but, after successfully shaking off a longstanding ankle injury and returning to fine form with United, Sir Alex is hopeful Neville can add to his 85-cap haul.
    "If Gary were to get a call-up for England it would be fantastic for the lad," said Sir Alex. "I would not be concerned at all. In fact, I would be really pleased for him because I think it would give him a great boost.
    "He deserves it after what he has gone through over the last year and a half. The perseverance he has shown and the faith he has in himself has been tremendous."
    While Sir Alex is carefully monitoring Neville's involvement in games, resisting the temptation to field the defender in two or three successive games, he has no qualms over the potential extra demands of international football.
    "He has been out for 18 months, which is a long time," admitted the manager. "But he is such a determined lad, I am sure he would cope with the rigours of playing club football as well as internationals."

Patrice left baffled

Patrice Evra found United's contrasting displays in each half at Goodison Park difficult to fathom.

The Reds oozed class in the first period, taking the lead through Darren Fletcher. But Everton rallied after the break to get back on level terms.

"I'm very disappointed, I feel we've lost two points," Evra told MUTV. "We played some great football in the first half and should have killed the game off. Our passing and movement was fantastic. I don't why we didn't continue to play like that.

"Maybe we felt too comfortable because we'd played so well. But it's not just about playing well, you have to kill off the game when you have the chance. We didn't do that and it gave Everton confidence."

Evra wants maximum points from home games against West Ham and Hull. "You need to win every game when you play for United and it's important that we move on after losing two points here. We have two games at home and we need six points."

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Patrice left baffled

Patrice Evra found United's contrasting displays in each half at Goodison Park difficult to fathom.

The Reds oozed class in the first period, taking the lead through Darren Fletcher. But Everton rallied after the break to get back on level terms.

"I'm very disappointed, I feel we've lost two points," Evra told MUTV. "We played some great football in the first half and should have killed the game off. Our passing and movement was fantastic. I don't why we didn't continue to play like that.

"Maybe we felt too comfortable because we'd played so well. But it's not just about playing well, you have to kill off the game when you have the chance. We didn't do that and it gave Everton confidence."

Evra wants maximum points from home games against West Ham and Hull. "You need to win every game when you play for United and it's important that we move on after losing two points here. We have two games at home and we need six points."
    lol i also baffled But its still quite early. If by Christmas, Man Utd can't sustain a challenge, then, its time to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    lol i also baffled But its still quite early. If by Christmas, Man Utd can't sustain a challenge, then, its time to worry.
    True as we start slow onli this season abit slower then last!

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    It's always good to have maximum points in every game so that we can relax a bit towards the end and not forgetting that injury will bound to happen along the way.

27/10/2008 13:37, Report by Ben Hibbs

Ronaldo lands world gong

Cristiano Ronaldo has been named FIFPro World Player of the Year.

The United winger was presented with the award by Sir Alex Ferguson at Carrington on Monday. The 23-year-old scored an incredible 42 goals on his way to helping United reach a Premier League and Champions League Double.

"To be recognised by my fellow players is amazing," he said. "I would like to thank my team-mates and coaches and everyone involved at United and the national team, as well as my family and friends for their support."

Reds boss Sir Alex handed Ronaldo the award and said that he hoped there were many more like it to come at OId Trafford. It’s the first of what is expected to be a string of global awards for the Portuguese attacker, who has also been nominated for the prestigious Ballon d’Or award.

Ronaldo was also named in the FIFPro World Team of the Year, as was his team-mate Rio Ferdinand, who collected the honours for their achievements from Professional Footballers Association chief Gordon Taylor.

ManUtd.com tagged along to see the trophy presentation, and we'll bring you more from Ronaldo later this afternoon.

FIFPro team: Casillas (Real Madrid); Ramos (Real Madrid), Terry (Chelsea), Ferdinand (United), Puyol (Barcelona); Gerrard (Liverpool), Kaka (AC Milan), Xavi (Barcelona), Messi (Barcelona); Torres (Liverpool), Ronaldo (United).

FIFPro is the world-wide umbrella organisation for the Professional Football Association around the globe, and includes more than 40 associations meaning that thousands of players registered their votes for these awards.

Q&A: Rio's delight at award

After collecting his award for being named in the FIFPro World XI, Rio Ferdinand spoke of his pleasure at gaining recognition for his work – but he says that he'd be far from satisfied to settle for his current collection of collective and personal awards…

How does it feel to be named in the FIFPro World XI?
    Being appreciated and recognised by your fellow professionals is probably the best accolade you can receive. They are the people you play with. They know the game inside out. Without my team-mates I wouldn't have won this award. Obviously, we had a great season last season. I needed the help of my team-mates to get where I am. Without them I would not be where I am now. I'd say the best is still to come. A lot of my former team-mates like Iain Dowie, Slaven Bilic, Ian Wright and managers like Harry Redknapp, David O'Leary and Sir Alex Ferguson have said my best years would be after I was 30 because of the position I play in. I am beginning to feel that way.

Based on what you’ve won so far, could you look back on your career and be pleased with what you’ve achieved?
    I won't be looking back yet. But if I get to the end of my career and have only won the trophies I currently have, I would be disappointed. I want to win more. I am greedy. You have to be in this sport to try and achieve anything. I want to win more. I would not be happy to just have this.

You’ve been such a consistent performer in recent seasons, what has been the key to it for you?
    As a centre-half it is about being in situations you recognise yourself in. You play in so many big games all over the world over so many years. It builds experience you can lean on at times. In my position, experience counts for so much. As an attacker, your better years are a little earlier, maybe 26 or 27, because the position is so explosive. Knowledge is key for me.

Does it frustrate you that the forwards and attackers tend to get all the awards?
    Everyone wants to be a striker. It is the most glorified position in the game. I just love to see people score goals. As defenders we know our worth. We don't need to shout it from the roof tops. It is part of the game. We have no gripes with the people who score goals getting the adulation. It is the hardest part of the game.

Ronaldo was named FIFPro World Player of the Year, what do you think to his achievement?
    He has done well. He wants to learn and be the best in whatever he does, even in table tennis against me! You need that. All the top players have a winning mentality. They want to do well all the time, even in training. Last season and the season before he was faultless. He had an end product and was doing things other people cannot do. We have won back-to-back Premier League titles and the European Cup. He played a big part in that.

Last season’s successes were incredible; what are the chances of achieving that again?
    It is realistic to think we could do it again. We have fantastic players. We have added Dimitar to the squad, who is a fantastic player. We have a very talented squad if everyone stays fit. The Champions League is something we would really like to retain and make history. The gauntlet is laid down for us to do it because it has never been done. Winning the Premier League three times on the bounce, no-one has done better than that. The incentives are there. We could make history. It will be hard but that is what being at a club like Manchester United is about. We want to win.