Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10253033343536374045 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Default Re: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

20/10/2008 09:57, Report by Nick Coppack, at Carrington

Evra remains a doubt

Patrice Evra appears touch-and-go for Tuesday night’s Champions League clash with Celtic, having taken a limited part in training on Monday.

Less than 48 hours after limping out of last weekend’s win over West Brom with a hamstring strain, the bombarding French full-back was able to take part in a running session with a member of United's medical staff at Carrington.

He refrained from taking full part in training, however, giving Sir Alex Ferguson a dilemma over whether to risk Evra against the Bhoys, or opt for an alternative at left-back.

John O'Shea replaced the Frenchman against the Baggies, and he was among a 21-man squad which took part in a complete session. The midfield trio of Paul Scholes, Michael Carrick and Owen Hargreaves were all absent through injury.

ManUtd.com will bring you further team news, including any update on Evra's condition, this afternoon when Sir Alex addresses the world’s media at his pre-match press conference.

Rio misses out again

The nominees were announced for the 2008 European Footballer of the Year award on Sunday night and not for the first time on an awards list there was one notable absentee.

Cristiano Ronaldo, no doubt the strong favourite, Wayne Rooney, Nemanja Vidic and Edwin van der Sar are the United representatives among the 30 candidates for the prestigious Ballon d'Or, but why oh why is Rio Ferdinand not on there?

In my opinion, the 30-year-old England international seems somewhat doomed when it comes to personal accolades. He was surprisingly not among last season's nominations for the PFA Player of the Year - granted the votes are cast just after the mid-point in the season - but I believe Rio had already done enough to make the short-list.

And, earlier this season, he was bizarrely pipped by John Terry in the best defender category at UEFA's club football awards. Of course, Terry is a top performer, but Rio, who captained the Reds' to Champions League glory last May, has been in a class of his own for a few seasons now and deserves some recognition. This latest omission follows an all too familiar pattern and one which I certainly can't fathom.

Aside from the United quartet, there are seven other Premier League representatives on the list, including Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas and Emmanuel Adebayor, Chelsea trio Michael Ballack, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba, and Liverpool pair Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard.

Here's hoping justice is at least done when the winner is announced on 2 December - if a certain Portuguese winger isn't beaming with delight at the glittering ceremoney in Paris, I'm sure I won't be the only one with something to say about it.

In With A Shout United Nominees:
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Wayne Rooney
    Nemanja Vidic
    Edwin van der Sar

Other Premier League Contenders
    Cesc Fabregas
    Emmanuel Adebayor
    Michael Ballack
    Didier Drogba
    Frank Lampard
    Fernando Torres
    Steven Gerrard
    Last edited by melvin; 20th October 2008 at 09:37 PM.

Reds duo in contention

Sir Alex Ferguson could recall Carlos Tevez and Anderson for Tuesday night's Champions League clash against Celtic after the South American duo were rested at the weekend.

The Reds boss had enough faith in the strength of his squad to leave Tevez and Anderson out of the 4-0 win over West Brom, after they had played for Argentina and Brazil respectively in midweek.

"Anderson only returned on Saturday morning and Tevez didn't get in until late afternoon on Friday, so we didn't consider them," Ferguson told MUTV.

"We have a squad which should be able to cope with the number of games we are facing, and we have enough exeprience in different positions."

Patrice Evra is a doubt for the visit of Gordon Strachan's side after being forced off in the first half of Saturday's game. If the French left-back fails to recover in time he may be replaced by John O'Shea, who deputised admirably against the Baggies.

Ferguson added: "Evra had a tight hamstring so we took the precaution of taking him off - it wasn't worth keeping him on any longer. But John O'Shea always does a great job for us."

Strachan feeling positive

Gordon Strachan says his Celtic side has improved since they last met United in 2006 – but he believes their 1-0 win at Celtic Park last time out will give his players belief at Old Trafford on Tuesday.

However, despite consolidating their position at the top of the SPL on Saturday with a hard-fought 2-1 win over Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Strachan approaches back to back Group E ties against United with increasing injury concerns.

Gary Caldwell and Marc Crosas picked up injuries against Inverness. With Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink already ruled, the Bhoys also had to cope without their top scorer Georgios Samaras.

But in an interview with United Review ahead of the game, Strachan feels that his players have improved vastly since two years ago.

"Even though some of our players from back then are still here, they will approach this game differently,” he said. "They’ll know exactly how hard getting a result is going to be and what the games will be like. But the players will also know that it’s possible to win.”

Shunsuke Nakamura's late free-kick stole the show in November 2006, and Strachan believes a return to the white-hot atmosphere of a United-Celtic Champions League tie will lift his players. He added: "No matter what the match is like, the atmosphere always turns the night into a smashing occasion."

Vidic calls for calm

United need to rise above the storm surrounding Tuesday's Champions League clash with Scottish champions Celtic, according to Nemanja Vidic.

The Reds host the Bhoys having already assumed top spot in Group E. With Gordon Strachan's side only able to boast a solitary point from two games, Vidic knows the visitors will want to take something tangible back to Glasgow.

"It will definitely be a tough game," he says. "They’ll want to win because they only have one point from the first two games. So they’ll try and pick up at least one point.

"Of course, we’re the home side and it’s important we start well and get three points because after this game we’ve got Celtic and Villarreal, both away. So you could say we’re also desperate for a win."

Passions are undoubtedly going to be running high as the kings of England and Scotland go head-to-head, but Vidic wants to retain a cool detachment amid an inevitably fervoured atmosphere.

"To be honest, from my point of view, it’s the same as any other game. Every game is important and I want to win every game. It doesn’t matter if it’s Celtic or Villarreal. Maybe Scotland versus England means something more to some of the fans and some of the English players – in one way it’s like a derby and there might be more tension inside the ground – but for me it’s just another game.

"United is a big club and everybody wants to play against us, everybody wants to beat us. We won the trophy last season but that doesn’t matter now – we don’t feel any added pressure. We’re just thinking about ourselves, thinking about playing our own game. We’re not bothered about what the other teams are going to do. I think we’re strong enough to win the match."

Giggs takes centre stage

The sight of Ryan Giggs tearing up and down the left wing may be consigned to memory as the Welshman has taken well to a central midfield role.

Giggs ran the show against West Brom on Saturday and, in an exclusive interview with United Review ahead of the Tuesday's clash with Celtic, Ryan says he's relishing the role.

"[Sir Alex] sees me in a different role, not flying up and down the wing," he said "I’ve got the experience to play centrally, either in midfield or off the front player. But it’s not an unfamiliar role.

"I’ll still play the odd game on the left. I can play there and come inside. But it’s something that’s been developing over the last three or four years."

Sir Alex on his guard

Sir Alex Ferguson is too wily to let records get in the way of his preparations for Champions League matches, even though all the statistics point in United’s favour ahead of Celtic’s visit to Old Trafford.

Celtic have lost 16 out of 17 away matches in the Champions League, a record as poor as United’s home record is excellent. It's 15 matches unbeaten in a row now for the Reds.

“Records – good or bad – are there to be broken,” he says, striking a cautionary tone. “Our job is to preserve our own home record. But we’re not going to be carried away with thoughts that our home record is good and Celtic’s away record is bad. That’s cancelled out a bit because it’s an England-Scotland affair.”

When the cut and thrust of a United-Celtic battle begins, form generally doesn't apply. But Sir Alex believes his secret weapon will be the mix of nationalities at his disposal. “The England-Scotland thing adds a bit of spice to it, but some of my players don’t really understand that; the likes of the Portuguese, the Brazilians, the French - they don’t understand it the same way the British lads do. That helps me a little bit.”

For a Scot, though, Tuesday’s tie and the return leg at Celtic Park in a fortnight represent special occasions, nevertheless ones which Sir Alex will be glad to see the back of.

“It is special, of course it is,” he says, before quickly adding: “apart from trying to get tickets, that is! It’s a challenge to make sure you win these games because you’ve got friends that won’t let you forget it very easily if you don’t! Certainly the press, especially up in Scotland, wouldn’t let me forget it [if we lost]. And I’ll get my usual great reception at Celtic Park – I might go and stand in the centre-circle when we play in Glasgow and get the full applause!

“I’ll be glad to get these games over with. There is a certain focus on you, there’s a lot of tension in these games. You could say it’s a local derby. Celtic will have a go. That’s their nature and their history. They’re driven on by a fantastic support. We have to cope with that aspect, but it will be good for the game. It will be open and I think it will be a really good game.”

Celtic could be without their two main strikers, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink and Georgios Samaras, and the threat from Gordon Strachan’s team will have to come from other areas of Celtic’s team.

“It was a very open game the last time we played,” added the boss. “It was a great European tie. But we don’t want to be giving goals away as easily as we did then. We have to respect that [Shunsuke] Nakamura has an ability at set-pieces. We have to watch that. He is an exceptional talent from set-pieces. But I’d be very surprised if we lost a goal like that again, having discussed it so many times since. There were a few rockets given out!”

ok we are 5hours away for the battle of the Brits!

Healthy headaches

Wes Brown insists the emergence of teenage full back Rafael da Silva is healthy for United.

Brown, the Reds’ highest appearance-maker last season, has started just three of United’s last nine fixtures. With Gary Neville fit again and Rafael bursting into the spotlight, Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson has found himself with a selection headache.

But England right back Brown says competition for places is positive and spurs him on to succeed.

“It’s healthy competition,” Brown said ahead of Celtic’s visit to Old Trafford in the Champions League.

“Rafael’s come in this season and he’s a quality young player; I’m sure he’s the future for Manchester United.

"Me and Gary Neville have been here for donkey’s years. We’re all fighting for the same place, but as long as the gaffer’s got that selection problem then it’s good for the team. I’m sure whoever he picks [for Tuesday’s game] will play well.”

Sir Alex admitted it’s the sort of headache he’ll happily suffer, although pointed out Rafael is far from the finished article.

Papers: Tevez pleads to play

Let me be Roo's partner, boss
    Carlos Tevez is determined to show Alex Ferguson that he should be Wayne Rooney’s long-term partner. Tevez has been left in the wings while new signing Dimitar Berbatov has taken centre-stage with Rooney. Having failed to start in five of the last six games, and with no permanent deal done for his services, there are also long-term doubts about Tevez’s whole future with Manchester United. But the Argentine forward is determined to prove against Celtic at Old Trafford just why they should get that £30million deal done and why he should be in the starting line-up every week. Tevez said: “I knew when I came here there would be really tough competition for places, given that United already had Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne and Nani. But Alex always had total belief in me and told me so. There was all this nonsense about how myself and Wayne couldn’t play together but we showed everyone. We have a perfect, intuitive understanding on the pitch, plus we get on brilliantly as pals."
    Neil Custis, The Sun

The papers are full of extracts from Sir Alex Ferguson's pre-match press conference, the most popular line being Cristiano Ronaldo's possible omission from the team to face Celtic.

Whether Ronny is being rested (Mail, Telegraph, Times, Independent, Express, Mirror) or dropped (The Sun) depends on which newspaper you read!

Round up by Adam Bostock

21/10/2008 08:02
    Focus on... Nani

Nani may get the nod against Celtic tonight. With the help of former United defender Arthur Albiston, we assess how dangerous he can be…

When Sir Alex Ferguson caught Europe on the hop and snared hot young prospects Nani and Anderson in May 2007, it was widely thought that the duo had been bought with one eye on the future.

The pair racked up nearly 40 appearances apiece in their first term at Old Trafford, however, as they took to life at their new club almost seamlessly.

Nani’s impact was a sudden one, as he hammered home his first United goal against Tottenham in late August, at a point when the Reds were desperate to get a first win on the board.

The Portuguese youngster’s brutal strike allowed his new side to do just that, thereby quickly endearing him to United fans the world over and making his Premier League adaptation infinitely easier.

“Usually players joining a club of United's stature need a bit of time to settle in,” says former Reds defender Arthur Albiston. “That’s especially so if they're foreign and even more so if they're as young as Nani. Anything we got out of him in the first season would be a bonus, and he quickly showed us his capabilities.

“He's got great balance, he can hit the ball equally well with either foot, he's got bags of confidence and we've seen him score some really good goals. Like Cristiano Ronaldo, he's not scared to run at defenders and get kicked. He just gets up and keeps going.”

For Nani, comparisons with Ronaldo are inevitable. Same nationality, same position, same previous club. Ronaldo’s stunning evolution from promising colt to proven thoroughbred is fresh in everyone’s minds – and still ongoing – and Albiston would love to see a similar evolution for Ronny's compatriot.

“It would be great if he could follow Ronaldo's lead,” says Arthur. “When Ronaldo first came to United it took him the best part of half a season to find his feet in the Premier League, he was regularly having lumps kicked out of him.

“I think Nani's got a similar game. He may not have the physical stature of Ronaldo, but when he's running with the ball he looks very similar. He maybe needs to gain a bit more physical strength, then he can really hold his own in the Premier League.

“With any player whose game is based around being quick and beating players, the main thing to work on is the final ball. We've seen that he can score goals, he's just got to take care maybe with the final ball - but that comes with experience.”

Having gathered bags of know-how during his maiden campaign, expectations are sky high for Nani this season. Although his start to the 2008/09 campaign was fragmented by serving out two matches of a carried-over suspension, the time has come to kick on.

“We've only seen the very start of his career, and I'm sure he's got a big future at United,” says Albiston. “Now he's established himself in the Portuguese national side, he'll want to kick on and push for a regular starting place at United.

“I would think he will be more confident, having established himself in the national side and also done well in his first season at United. He's getting experience all the time, he's still only young and what we've seen so far is only the tip of the iceberg.”

Nani stats
    Home sweet home: Nani has scored six times for the Reds, all at Old Trafford and all in domestic competition. He’s not shy of finding the net against big sides, either: he’s scored goals to sink Arsenal and Liverpool.

Did You Know? In last season’s Champions League campaign, Nani was the only Red to play a part in all six group matches. He started five matches and came on as a substitute in Kyiv.

In his own words: “I don’t like comparisons, or that they say that Nani is going to be like Cristiano Ronaldo. I think I’ve got the ability to reach a very high level, but I want to be known as Nani, one of the best players in the world.”

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    21/10/2008 08:02
    Focus on... Nani

I think Carlos told Fergie to rest Ronaldo and play Nani.

Tevez and Anderson should play tonite. But its hard to drop Rooney given his red hot form.

We won 3-0.

Report: United 3 Celtic 0

Dimitar Berbatov and Wayne Rooney were on target again as United outclassed Celtic to stay in control of Champions League Group E.

In a game predictably billed as the ‘Battle of Britain’, the Scottish champions were overran by a dominant Red Army at Old Trafford.

Berbatov produced poacher’s finishes in each half to put United in command, before Rooney continued his prolific October scoring streak with an excellent strike from the edge of the box.

The hoardes of travelling Celtic fans had little to cheer about as United cruised to victory, recording another clean sheet to make it eight games without defeat in all competitions.

The Reds’ starting line-up had produced two major talking points. Cristiano Ronaldo was named in the side, despite suggestions that he would be rested, while Rio Ferdinand was replaced by Jonny Evans after picking up a groin strain in training on Monday.

Ronaldo had the game's first chance but blasted over from 20 yards after neat interplay involving Berbatov, Gary Neville and Anderson. Soon after Rooney’s spectacular bicycle kick from Nani's cross was blocked by Mark Wilson on the six-yard line.

Celtic had early moments of their own, with Edwin van der Sar twice called into action to save a low Aiden McGeady shot and Gary Caldwell's vicious dipping volley.

But United always looked the more likely to open the scoring and, like the last time these sides met at Old Trafford in 2006, the home side’s opener came on the half-hour.

Nani swung in a corner from the left and, at the second attempt, John O’Shea stabbed the ball forward for Berbatov to flick home on the turn from three yards.

United’s forward line were full of running, movement and one-touch passing, harrying Celtic’s defence into rushed clearances and desperate blocks.

Darren Fletcher had a glorious opportunity to double United’s advantage on the stroke of half-time but fired over from eight yards after controlling Rooney’s cross.

But it didn’t take long after the break for Berbatov to score his – and United’s – second goal with another predatory finish.

Anderson was fouled by Scott Brown 25 yards out, Artur Boruc could only parry Ronaldo’s resulting free-kick and Berbatov was left with the simple task of slotting home the rebound.

It was the Bulgarian’s third goal in two games and fourth in two Champions League outings. And to think that people were doubting him a month ago.

Rooney thought he’d got on the scoresheet soon after but was flagged offside - although replays showed he wasn't - as he ran onto Fletcher’s neat slide-rule pass.

Berbatov looked disappointed when he was called off on the hour mark, but the two-goal forward left the field to a standing ovation, with Neville also replaced by Wes Brown.

Berbatov’s replacement Carlos Tevez flashed narrowly wide minutes later but United soon had a third as Gordon Strachan's men were opened up once more.

The move started with van der Sar’s throw to Fletcher, who sprayed the ball out wide to Tevez. The Argentine's simple ball across goal allowed Rooney to control, make room for himself and fire his fourth goal in four games from 18 yards.

Not even the most staunch of Celtic fans could deny the goal was deserved. It confirmed United’s superiority in an enjoyable game and, with Villarreal hammering Aalborg, kept the holders top of Group E on goal difference.

Team line-ups

MANCHESTER UNITED: Van der Sar; Neville (Brown 60), Vidic, Evans, O'Shea; Ronaldo (Park 82), Anderson, Fletcher, Nani; Berbatov (Tevez 60), Rooney.
    Subs not used: Kuszczak, Giggs, Rafael, Gibson.

CELTIC: Boruc; Wilson, Loovens, Caldwell, McManus, Naylor; Nakamura (Hartley 62), S Brown, Robson (Maloney 62), McGeady; McDonald (Sheridan 76).
    Subs not used: Brown, Hinkel, Donati, O'Dea.

Booked: Hartley, Loovens

Attendance: 74,655

Berba delight at Euro double

Dimitar Berbatov was delighted to find the net for the second game on the trot in front of the Old Trafford faithful, despite the fact there was a hint of offside for both strikes.

The Bulgarian flicked home United's opener on the half-hour, before adding a second six minutes after the restart from close range.

Replays showed the striker to be slightly ahead of the Celtic defenders, but Berbatov cared little as he was just pleased to be on the score-sheet.

"It's not my decision to make, I'm there to try and score and I did that," he told ITV Sport. "It's a decision for the referee and if says 'no offside' then it's not offside.

"It was great to score again at Old Trafford, but the most important thing is we won the game.

"I've come here to improve and I feel like I'm doing that. I try my best every day in training and you can see that on the pitch."
    Roodney is in red hot form n so is Berba 3 goals in 2 games he is on fire!!!

Boss hails rampant Reds
    Sir Alex Ferguson was pleased to see his side maintain their recent good form and edge ever closer to qualification for the knock-out stages of the Champions League with a convincing victory over Celtic.

The Reds ran out 3-0 winners at Old Trafford thanks to goals from Dimitar Berbatov, who found the net twice, and Wayne Rooney. The result leaves Sir Alex's men joint top of Group E, level on points with Villarreal who defeated Aalborg 6-3 in Spain.

Sir Alex was once again delighted with his team's attitude and approach, and is hoping for more of the same when the Reds travel to Glasgow in two weeks' time.

"I think the scoreline was a fair reflection of the game and it showed the high performance level of our team," he told MUTV. "It could have been more, but we're perfectly happy with 3-0.

"It took time for us to get in behind them and really threaten, but we kept getting into decent positions and played some nice football. There was a good intensity about our game and our speed of play was excellent.

"The team have hit good form, that's what you're seeing at the moment. There's a great consistency and determination about them and they're all working hard.

"We know we'll qualify if we win at Celtic," he added, "and a victory will also give us a good chance of finishing top. But winning at Celtic is not easy.

"We've still got to go to Villarreal and they've still got to come to Celtic, so our game in Glasgow is a crucial one in terms of maintaining our position."

While more than happy to see Rooney and Berbatov on the score-sheet once again, the United boss took time out to praise the performance of second half substitute Carlos Tevez, who has missed out on the starting XI of late.

"He doesn't enjoy not playing, that's natural. But he came on and contributed in a big way," declared Sir Alex.

"He enjoyed his game, worked hard and didn't sulk about being on the bench. We're pleased to see that and he'll get plenty of games this season, there's no doubt about that."

O'Shea lauds front two

John O'Shea joined the ever-growing list of admirers of the burgeoning partnership between Dimitar Berbatov and Wayne Rooney after the duo single-handedly destroyed Celtic in the Champions League clash at Old Trafford.

Berbatov struck first on 30 minutes, flicking home O'Shea's hopeful touch forward, before adding a second in the 51st minute, following up Cristiano Ronaldo's parried free-kick.

Rooney fired the third 14 minutes from time to continue his goalscoring hot-streak.

O'Shea believes each player's all round game is what sets them apart from the rest and he still believes there's more to come.

"Berba is such a talented player and he links the team so well," the Irish international told MUTV, before cheekily adding he'd be claiming an assist for the Bulgarian's opener.

"He finds players when they make runs off the ball, he has great vision and great touch and I'm sure there are even better things to come.

"Everyone is talking about Wayne playing well at the moment but he's been doing it for a long time, it's just that maybe other players were scoring more goals," added O'Shea.

"He's been fantastic - his work-rate is always outstanding and now he's getting the goals to go with it."

Ratings: United v Celtic

ManUtd.com’s James Tuck looks at how United’s players performed in the 3-0 win over Celtic on Tuesday night…

Edwin van der Sar – Called upon a little more than against West Brom, the Dutchman made good stops from Aiden McGeady and Gary Caldwell to keep another clean sheet.

Gary Neville – A lively 60 minutes from the skipper, who kept Barry Robson quiet and made himself available down the right to supplement United's attacks.

Nemanja Vidic – Deprived of his usual centre-back partner Rio Ferdinand, but the Serb was his normal combative self and kept the shackles on Celtic frontman Scott McDonald.

Jonny Evans – Deputised admirably for Ferdinand with a display of composure, positional awareness and aerial strength that Rio would have been pleased with.

John O'Shea – United's Mr Reliable ensured Patrice Evra's absence did not affect the side greatly. The Irishman also claimed an assist for Dimitar Berbatov's opener.

Cristiano Ronaldo – Caused Celtic's defence early problems by swapping wings with Nani. Ran his socks off and was inches away from scoring with a left-footed shot. His stinging free-kick after the break led to Berbatov's second.

Anderson – Tigerish and tireless, an excellent display from the Brazilian on his return to the starting line-up. Came close to that elusive first goal for the Reds when he shot just over from the edge of box.

Darren Fletcher – A pleasingly functional and energetic 90 minutes from the Scot. Saw plenty of the ball in midfield but missed a good chance to score just before the break.

Nani – Just as he did at the weekend, the winger caught the eye with his trickery and pace. One of United's best players on the night, his dipping corner led to Berbatov's opening goal.

Dimitar Berbatov – Began the game in a more deep-lying forward role, and linked up well with Wayne Rooney. The Bulgarian took both his goals well and now has four in two Champions League games.

Wayne Rooney – Lots of attractive interplay with Berbatov and Ronaldo. The striker's running and work off the ball was as impressive as his goal, which was finished with the aplomb that we have seen so much of recently.

Substitutes

Wes Brown (replaced Gary Neville, 60 mins) – Grabbed his chance to take the armband when he replaced Neville, and picked up where the club captain left off with a solid half-hour at right-back.

Carlos Tevez (replaced Dimitar Berbatov, 60 mins) – Sharp and hungry, the frontman seemed determined to make up for lost time and flashed a powerful shot narrowly wide soon after coming on.

Ji-sung Park (replaced Cristiano Ronaldo, 82 mins) – The Korean had little time to impose himself on the game in his brief outing.

Duo may return at Goodison

Rio Ferdinand and Patrice Evra could both be fit for the Reds' trip to Everton on Saturday, according to Sir Alex Ferguson.

Both were left out of the Champions League victory over Celtic as a precaution after picking up minor knocks.

Evra was still suffering with the tight hamstring sustained against West Brom on Saturday, while Ferdinand was sidelined with a groin strain.

John O'Shea and Jonny Evans stepped in ably at left-back and centre-half respectively, but Sir Alex is hopeful of having his first-choice defensive duo back for the lunchtime clash at Goodison Park.

"I think Evra will be okay and we'll see about Rio," the boss told MUTV. "He suffered a little groin strain in training on Monday and it wasn't worth risking him [against Celtic]."

Rooney is on fire now. Score goals like water.