Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242932333435363944 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Default Re: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Internationals: Park on target

Ji-sung Park led by example when he netted in Korea Republic's 4-1 rout of United Arab Emirates on Wednesday.

Captaining his country for the full 90 minutes, Park scored the second goal with a powerful shot into the top corner and created the third for Lee-Keun Ho with a neat through-ball. Lee-Keun Ho had earlier given the South Koreans the lead. The fourth and final goal was scored by Kwak Tae-hee.

The comprehensive victory in Seoul puts Korea Republic top of their World Cup qualifying group after two games, the first of which was a draw with rivals Korea DPR.

Wayne Rooney was instrumental as England achieved their best-ever start to a World Cup qualifying campaign by beating Belarus 3-1. For the second time in five days, the United striker scored twice for his national team - both goals came in the second half after the first period ended 1-1.

He was also involved in England's opening goal, netted by Liverpool's Steven Gerrard. Rooney didn't complete the match - he came off to an ovation from the travelling fans in the 88th minute - but both Wes Brown and captain Rio Ferdinand played the full 90.

John O'Shea and Darron Gibson were both on duty throughout Republic of Ireland's 1-0 win over Cyprus. Liverpool's Robbie Keane scored the crucial goal at Croke Park. In the same group, Dimitar Berbatov captained Bulgaria to a battling 0-0 draw away to Georgia.

Nemanja Vidic enjoyed the same result as his English colleagues, 3-1 away from home against Austria.

Cristiano Ronaldo had a frustrating night, however, as Portugal were held 0-0 at home by Albania. He skippered Carlos Queiroz's side from start to finish and was joined on the field from the 55th minute by substitute Nani.

Elsewhere, Edwin van der Sar kept his second clean sheet in two games as Holland secured a1-0 away victory in Norway, thanks to Mark van Bommel's second half strike.

Anderson was an unused substitute in Brazil's goalless draw against Colombia in Rio de Janeiro, and Patrice Evra also found himself on the bench for the duration of France's 3-1 friendly victory over Tunisia in Paris.
    Looks like our boys did have enjoyed a good international outing!

Rooney chases more goals

Wayne Rooney hopes to continue his goalscoring hot streak when he returns to club action for United this weekend.

Two braces in two games helped England to World Cup qualifying victories over Kazakhstan and Belarus to give Fabio Capello's men maximum points from their opening four games.

Those strikes came on the back of a goal in each of his last United three matches against Bolton, Aalborg and Blackburn.

And, as Rooney prepares to line up for the Reds against West Brom on Saturday, the striker says he is determined to keep his good form going.

"Goals are going in for me and I'm really pleased. I work every day on my finishing and it's going well," he beamed.

"You can always improve, there are weaknesses there I can improve on. I've worked a lot on my finishing and it's starting to pay off on the pitch now which I'm happy about.

"I believe I'm going to score in any game anyway. I'm a confident person and I'm delighted they are going in at the moment. Hopefully I can keep it going."
    7 goals in 5 straight games! next WBA!

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    I think he and D. Simpson have a future at Man Utd, esp G. Neville is near the end of his career and Brown at 27-28. They only got the Da Silva twins to contend with.
    I think this 2 should give way to the younger players la... esp Brown!

Giggs sets title-chasing target

With no international duties to divert him, Ryan Giggs tells ManUtd.com he is fully focused on the visit of West Brom and mounting a sustained run of victories up to Christmas...

West Brom are only a point behind United in the league and they’re difficult to beat. But do you think they have the qualities to stay up?
    I’ve been impressed with West Brom and Hull. Both teams have good young managers in Tony Mowbray and Phil Brown. It’s very difficult for teams coming up from the Championship and trying to make it in the Premier League. But they got off to a good start and you have to respect that. We expect a tough game on Saturday. They won’t have had as many players away on the international break, so they will have been working all week to prepare for this game. We only start training as a group on Friday, so we know we have to be ready for them.

Do the international breaks help or hinder those players who don’t go away. Is the rest welcome or do you get rusty?
    I think that maybe used to be a problem. But now we have our sports science department and the fitness coach Tony Strudwick who makes sure we do our work in the break. We work hard. That’s what I’ve felt over the last couple of international breaks, definitely. I’ve felt good coming back. It might be difficult coming back in for the first game. It takes a bit of time to be fully sharp, but after that the rest definitely does you good and you feel sharper for the coming games.

So the international break isn’t time for you and Scholesy to put your feet up?
    [Laughs]. No, but the players not on international duty do get some time off. I went away for a couple of days in the last international break, but I stayed in Manchester for this one. But when you’re back in training you’re working hard in the week to keep yourself sharp.

You’ve been doing your coaching badges in recent seasons. Has that helped your game at all?
    It’s more that it helps me understand what we’re doing in training and what we’re trying to achieve. You understand that much quicker. When you’re a player it’s easy to turn up and train without actually thinking about what you’re trying to achieve. Doing my coaching badges has helped me realise those aims.

With no more international weekends this year, is the focus now on a solid run of results at club level?
    Definitely. Once this international break is out of the way, you get the squad together for a long period of time and that’s a really important period of the season for us. That’s when we look to push on because, come Christmas, you want to be right up there. That gives you the platform for the New Year.

Carlos rubbishes claims

Carlos Tevez has moved to distance himself from quotes attributed to him in various media sources on Thursday.

Reports suggested the Argentina international was feeling the strain of playing in the Barclays Premier League and was unhappy with his recent form.

But Tevez insists he has no idea where these quotes originated, and denies any association with them.

A spokesperson for the striker said the quotes were “totally untrue”.

“Carlos has just told me that he loves playing in the English league and is very happy at Manchester United,” the spokesperson said.

“He is conscious only of helping the team to win and is not worried about where he plays on the pitch. Nor does he feel the Barclays Premier League has extra pressure.

“Carlos’s prime objective is to help the team and his team-mates to continue winning."
    Some one is trying to unsettle him!

Boss: Don't believe all you read

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has played down media speculation linking the Reds with Brazilian teenager Douglas Costa.

Costa, an 18-year-old midfielder at Gremio who’s been dubbed “the new Ronaldinho”, was reported to have caught the eye of the English and European champions. Some papers even claimed the Reds had tabled a multi-million-pound bid.

At Friday’s press conference, Sir Alex confirmed United actively scout in Brazil, but warned not everything reported in the media is true.

“We’ve invested in two full-time scouts in Brazil and it’s a country that produces fantastic footballers,” Sir Alex said.

“Brazilians can often play in big games all the time and they have an energy and enthusiasm to play football.

“You have to follow the trends in football. Once upon a time in England the north-east was a great hunting ground for scouts. It goes in cycles.

“We had a spell with good local players at Manchester United in 1993. Not so long it was France, and there are still some fantastic young players coming out of that country. You have to keep your eyes open.

“But when you see names it doesn’t necessarily mean we’re actually going to sign someone. People see our scouts at games and jump to inclusions – they think, ‘Manchester United are here: they must be watching such and such a player’. Just because we watch them doesn’t mean we’re going to sign them.”

Wayne will only get better

Wayne Rooney’s best is yet to come. That’s the verdict from Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson, who expects the England striker to find more goal-scoring consistency as he ages.

Rooney, 23, has scored five goals for club and country in his last four appearances. But that streak followed a period where he netted only once in eight games.

“When players get into their mid-20s they get more consistency ad I expect Wayne’s scoring will improve,” Sir Alex told the media on Friday.

“We’ve noticed Wayne’s scoring goes in bursts and his form increases with that. That’s how he’s been ever since he arrived here. But by the time he gets to his mid-20s you hope the experience he’s gathered will help to bring more consistency to his scoring.

“We know he can score goals. It’s just a matter of getting that consistency. I’ve seen some players over the years, like Gary Lineker, hardly kick a ball in a game and score two goals.

“Wayne will get to a period in his mid-20s when he’ll score goals even when he’s not playing well.”

17/10/2008 12:30, Report by Nick Coppack

No fresh injury concerns for RedsSir Alex Ferguson is relieved to have no new injury worries following the international break as the Reds prepare to face West Bromwich Albion at Old Trafford.

The majority of players returned from serving their countries on Thursday (Anderson and Carlos Tevez arrived back on Friday), with the full squad training together for the first time on Friday morning.

"There were no injuries [over the international break], which is always a good thing," Sir Alex said.

"Also, most players came back with good results. I always hope they get victories. Most of them had quite good experiences this week, which gives them confidence.".

Three players absent from Friday's session were Michael Carrick (foot), Owen Hargreaves (knee) and Paul Scholes (knee).

"Michael Carrick’s progressing well. We hoped he’d join [the first team-squad on Thursday] but he didn’t quite make it. He’ll join us on Monday. It’ll be too early for the Celtic game though. But we know he’s on his way back and that’s a good thing."

Fellow midfielder Hargreaves is still struggling with the tendonitis problem that has dogged his United career, while Scholes is continuing his recovery from knee ligament damage.

Sir Alex says he still has one or two decisions to make regarding his team selection against West Brom, and will do so with the Celtic game very much in mind.

"I'll try to get as much freshness in there as possible," the boss said. "But I also have to think about Celtic and pick the team the right way.

"The West Brom game is very important for us. We want to keep our form going and keep up our [impressive] home record."

One player who definitely will start against the Baggies is Ryan Giggs. Having retired from international football, the Welshman has enjoyed a two-week break.

Park backs double repeat

As United prepare to resume the defence of the Barclays Premier League and Champions League crowns, Ji-sung Park sees no reason why the Reds can't repeat last season's success.

Following a two-week break for internationals, Sir Alex Ferguson's men host West Brom on Saturday tea-time, before a mouth-watering European clash with Celtic three days later at Old Trafford.

Just as they did last season, the Reds took time to find their form, but after four straight league and cup victories in the last month, Park and his team-mates are now back in the groove.

"Last season we had a slow start, and by the end of it we’d won the Premier League and the Champions League. So there's no need to worry because we know we can achieve the same again this season," insisted the Korean winger in an interview with United Review.

Summer knee surgery resulted in Park missing the opening two weeks of the season. But since making his return, as a sub in the UEFA Super Cup final, he has featured in five of the last seven games and netted his first goal of the campaign in the 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge.

Park is hoping to be involved again in Saturday's clash with the Baggies, who he believes could prove tricky opposition.

"I’ve played against them twice before and I’ve been impressed with their start to the season," said the 27-year-old. "Although they lost at Arsenal and Everton I think they did well, and they came from behind to beat West Ham as well.

"We have to be wary of them and make sure we concentrate for the full 90 minutes. There are no easy games in the Premier League."

Match Pack: West Brom

Only one point in the table between the two suggests this could be a close game, but United start as overwhelming favourites against the newly promoted Baggies...

Form guide: West Brom have won two of their last three games. They triumphed 3-2 against West Ham but then suffered a 2-1 defeat to high-flying Aston Villa, before claiming a crucial 1-0 win over Fulham. United were also winners last time out - the 2-0 victory at Paul Ince’s Blackburn means the Reds have won all of their last four games.

Ins and outs: Paul Scholes is out until December due to the injury he picked up in the Champions League against Aalborg. West Brom could have midfielder Chris Brunt back, great news for manager Tony Mowbray. However, another midfielder Kim Do-Heon and long-serving defender Neil Clement are both out with knee injuries.

Star men: West Brom’s top goalscorer is Roman Bednar with three goals this term. At 6' 3" tall, he can be lethal in the box and United will have to defend well to stop the Czech. Hopefully Wayne Rooney can take his superb form into Saturday after scoring four while on international duty.

Rivals watch: Middlesbrough v Chelsea (12:45 BST), Liverpool v Wigan (15:00 BST), Everton v Arsenal (15:00 BST), Newcastle v Man City (20:00 BST Mon)

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Carlos rubbishes claims

Some one is trying to unsettle him!
    There have been some rumour about him recently. Its all down to the permenant contract offer. Apparently, Man Utd supposed to offer him a long term deal these few months but it has been put off to season end. Some rumour even linking him to RM cos he is unhappy and confused about the delay.

Today ST report that he is not happy with his form and scoring only a goal so far. He said it is partly due to Berba signing and the position he plays this season.

Rooney is on fire!
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    Rooney is on fire!
    Yeah! Someone set his pants on fire, simply red hot. He is involved in almost every attack and play. This is the best performance I've seen from him.

Berba's goal was so damn cool. lol just stick out his leg and its a goal!

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Yeah! Someone set his pants on fire, simply red hot. He is involved in almost every attack and play. This is the best performance I've seen from him.

Berba's goal was so damn cool. lol just stick out his leg and its a goal!
    Isn't that why we sign Berba for? Right time, Right place!

Once Roodney find his scoring boots he should able to find the net unless he left it at home!

Hope this match will be the start of another series of 4-0 win!

Report: United 4 West Brom 0

Four second-half goals helped a fluent United see off West Bromwich Albion’s gallant challenge at Old Trafford.

The Reds had been frustrated by the visitors – in particular keeper Scott Carson – for nearly an hour but finally made the breakthrough when Wayne Rooney finished neatly for his fourth goal in as many games.

Cristiano Ronaldo made the game safe with a left-footed shot before Dimitar Berbatov prodded home and substitute Nani added gloss to the scoreline in injury-time.

Rooney was again irrepressible and the only downside to the win was an injury to Patrice Evra, who was forced off in the first half after taking a knock to his leg.

Despite the impending Champions League visit of Celtic, Sir Alex Ferguson opted to field a strong side. It was perhaps a sign of respect for the Baggies, who arrived on the back of three straight league wins.

Right-back Rafael was handed a first Premier League start, with Ryan Giggs playing in the centre of midfield, Ji-sung Park on the left and Ronaldo on the right. Carlos Tevez and Anderson were omitted from the squad after their international exertions in midweek.

West Brom began with a confidence that belied their underdog status, Chris Brunt firing straight at Edwin van der Sar when well placed on the edge of the box.

But United – in particular the first three goalscorers – looked in the mood as well and the forward trio were involved in most of the Reds’ most promising attacks.

Rooney looked to have given United the lead midway through the first half when he controlled Ronaldo’s pass, cut inside and dinked the ball home, only for referee Mark Halsey to harshly penalise the striker for a push on Gianni Zuiverloon.

Soon after Rooney had another chance to put United ahead but his header from Giggs’ left-wing free-kick was well parried by Carson.

Ten minutes before the break Evra was replaced by John O’Shea and the Frenchman looked to be moving uncomfortably as he left the pitch.

But United continued to press and as the half neared its conclusion Berbatov was thwarted as he prepared to pull the trigger inside the box.

The Reds began the second period in much the same vein, with Ronaldo providing extra impetus by drifting into the centre of the attack.

Rooney again looked most likely to break the deadlock but was twice denied by excellent Carson parries. Yet the Baggies’ keeper could do little about the striker’s top-drawer finish when it finally arrived in the 56th minute.

United broke at pace, Berbatov played a ball into the path of Rooney, who charged down the left, cut inside Ryan Donk and shot low to Carson’s right.

Rooney's animated celebration suggested relief as much as anything else after his earlier frustrations in front of goal. He almost grabbed a second minutes later after being played in by Giggs, only to be denied by Carson yet again.

But a second goal did arrive with 20 minutes left and this time it was Rooney who was the provider with a through-ball to Ronaldo, who shot left-footed underneath Carson.

And almost immediately Berbatov made it three with his first goal at Old Trafford. A left-wing cross from Nani, on for Park, found its way via a deflection to the Bulgarian, who instinctively stuck out a boot and guided the ball home.

West Brom battled bravely but lacked the necessary quality in front of goal. Substitute Ishmael Miller had their best chance with two minutes left but his shot whistled just wide.

And Nani made a satisfying evening for the champions even better when he converted Rooney’s cross from close range in stoppage-time.

Team line-ups

MANCHESTER UNITED: Van der Sar; Rafael (Neville 65), Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra (O'Shea 36); Ronaldo, Fletcher, Giggs, Park (Nani 70); Berbatov, Rooney.
    Subs not used: Brown, Evans, Gibson, Kuszczak.

WEST BROMWICH ALBION: Carson; Zuiverloon, Donk, Olsson, Robinson; Morrison, Valero, Greening, Koren (Moore 72), Brunt; Bednar (Miller 53).
    Subs not used: Kiely; Cech, Hoefkens, Barnett, Macdonald.
    Bookings: Zuiverloon.

Attendance: 75, 451.

Rooney's roll continues

Celtic, Everton and West Ham beware... Wayne Rooney has scored in every match he's played in October this year and last and he's in the right mood to continue.

The striker's latest goal opened the floodgates for United against West Brom and capped a seven-day period in which he also scored four for England.

Wayne said of the Reds' performance, "I thought we fully deserved the win. We played really well, considering a lot of players had been away on international duty. It's hard when you come back to play for your club."

When asked about his own display, he replied: "I'm really enjoying my football at the moment. I feel fit. The team are really helping me in everything I do. Hopefully that will continue and I can help this team win some more trophies."

After he was denied a goal by referee Mark Halsey in the first half - "I saw it again at half-time and I thought it maybe should have been a goal" - Wayne scored soon into the second period after a fine pass from strike partner Dimitar Berbatov.

"It was a great ball by Berba. I managed to stand the defender up, one on one, get round him and then put it in. I was very pleased with that."

Wayne is also pleased with the way his career is developing, under expert tuition at Carrington.

"I work hard in training as well as in games," he said. "I want to learn. I listen to various different people at the club to try and get better. If I keep progressing like this, I'll be well happy."

The same sentiment goes for Sir Alex Ferguson, the man who brought Rooney to United just over four years ago. He had plenty to say about Wayne after the match, including a prediction that his goals could soon dry up again!

"In fairness to his (early season) critics, Wayne does tend to score goals in spurts which is probably a sign of his immaturity," said Sir Alex.

"He's young so he'll have a barren spell again and then come back to scoring. But when he gets older his goal scoring will spread out better. I think that's a natural thing that will happen.

"He has undoubted talent and a drive and energy about him which is refreshing. At the moment when he's in these spurts, he is fantastic and we hope this spell when he's on fire continues for a long time.

"[That said] I don't think he is playing as well as he has in other periods since he joined the club.

"There's an English thing at the moment about him being the saviour of English football, but we look at our team [on Saturday] and Wayne was part of that - as good as he was, there were others just as good.

"We expect Wayne to improve at this club, just like we said about Ronaldo when he was younger. We think it's a natural process because they've both got that incredible individual talent."

Wayne and Sir Alex were talking to MUTV and Setanta Sports.

Rooney's October record
    October seems to be Wayne's favourite month. Not only does he celebrate his birthday (on October 24), he also has a habit of scoring goals for fun...

October 2007 Goals
    1 - United 1-0 Roma
    1 - United 4-0 Wigan
    1 - England 3-0 Estonia
    1 - Russia 2-1 England
    2 - Aston Villa 1-4 United
    1 - Dyn. Kyiv 0-4 United
    1 - United 4-1 Middlesbro

October 2008 Goals
    1 - Blackburn 0-2 United
    2 - England 5-1 Kazakhstan
    2 - Belarus 1-3 England
    1 - United 4-0 West Brom

seems like oct boy is celebrating his Birthday scoring goals for the whole of oct!

18/10/2008 19:53, Report by Adam Bostock

Dimitar delighted with home goalDimitar Berbatov is on a mission to score more goals at Old Trafford after making the Stretford End roar for the first time in his Reds career.

The Bulgarian rubbed salt in West Brom's wounds when he clinically connected with a deflected ball from Nani, moments after Cristiano Ronaldo had made it 2-0 to United.

Dimitar told MUTV: "It was a nice goal and I was really delighted to score in front of the home crowd. Hopefully there will be more to come."

United's second-half surge from 0-0 to 3-0 and eventually 4-0 followed a frustrating first half when Wayne Rooney had an effort disallowed and West Brom were defiant.

"There are often games like that," Berbatov mused. "In the first half you try hard to score but it doesn’t work. Then at half-time, you have some good words from the manager - he tells you what to do exactly and what the weak points of the opposition are.

"You try to listen, we did listen and we scored four goals."

Rooney scored the first and will be in most of the headlines as his hot streak continues.

"I think he’s enjoying his game right now and that’s not only good for him, it’s good for everybody, especially the fans," said Berbatov.

"Our partnership is improving. We're constantly working at it on the training ground, trying to understand each other without even looking. Sometimes it works - today's result proves it."

18/10/2008 19:12, Report by Adam Bostock

Boss: Our best show so farSir Alex Ferguson described United's performance as the best of the season so far after West Brom were brutally put to the sword at Old Trafford.

The Reds rarely paused for breath as the Baggies were relentlessly attacked from first to final whistle - the only question was when the floodgates would open. The fact that it didn't happen until 10 minutes after the break did not concern the boss.

"Patience is vital," said Sir Alex, referring to his half-time mantra.

"We still had 45 minutes to play. The important thing was to keep the rhythm and tempo of our game. The speed of our game was really terrific.

"Full marks to the lads, they did very, very well today. I think it's probably our best 90 minutes of the season so far.

"I think the players have got the legs now to play 90 minutes like they did today. There were great signs today and also at Blackburn. There's a great spirit in the team, they all worked hard for each other and defended very well in both games."

Although clearly encouraged by his team, Sir Alex doesn't believe the margin of victory sends a message United's big four rivals, all of whom won before the Reds kicked off.

"I don't think Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea will be thinking this is a warning sign," he said.

"I think that's done before the campaign starts. We won the league last season and we won the European Cup so I think those three teams know the quality of our side and we know the quality of theirs. It's a fantastic league and any of the four can win it."

It was a great game despite the frustrating first 45 minutes. Hopefully, we can maintain the momentum and continue to do better.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    It was a great game despite the frustrating first 45 minutes. Hopefully, we can maintain the momentum and continue to do better.
    Aiya it is normal la... normally we will start the season with a struggle then we will become a one half team follow by full match team then a team with great come back at the end of the season!