Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232831323334353843 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Default Re: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

This month in 1998/99

The Treble wasn't built in a day... almost a year of hard work went into United's epic achievement. We're celebrating the feat with a series of features. This month we look back at October 1998, a month when the Reds’ strikeforce went into overdrive.

UEFA Champions League

After September’s two dramatic draws against Barcelona and Bayern Munich, the Reds headed to Denmark to take on Peter Schmeichel’s old side, Brondby.

Tipped to be the whipping boys of Group D, the Danish champions duly capitulated when United came to town. Ryan Giggs netted after just two minutes when Brondby goalkeeper Mogens Krogh spilled a routine cross. The Welshman made it 2-0 when he headed in Jesper Blomqvist’s centre and it got even worse for the home side on 28 minutes when Andy Cole finished off a dazzling Reds move.

The Danes pulled one back before half-time through Kim Daugaard’s twice-taken free kick, but Alex Ferguson’s men began the second half as they’d started the first, Keane and Yorke firing United into a 5-1 lead. Norwegian substitute Ole Gunnar Solskjaer scored eight minutes from time with his first touch but Brondby’s Ebbe Sand had the last word, tapping in the game’s eighth goal from close range. Elsewhere, Bayern beat Barcelona, so the 6-2 win sent United top of Group D.

Premier League

It wasn’t quite maximum points, but three emphatic wins from four matches saw the Reds’ title charge gather real momentum.

Not for the first time United’s frontmen hit their stride in October. The first victims in 1998 were Southampton. Without an away win in the league all season and without a win at The Dell in the last three visits, United fans were fearing the worst. But Dwight Yorke soon eased any doubts, stretching to meet Andy Cole’s cross on 12 minutes. Cole doubled the Reds’ advantage on the hour with a smart finish before Jordi Cruyff wrapped up the points with an acrobatic volley from 15 yards.

Wimbledon (and manager Joe Kinnear) came to Old Trafford and found themselves on the receiving end of a harsh footballing lesson. Cole scored twice – the first and last goals – while Giggs, Beckham and Yorke also found the net. Beckham’s strike, a long-range daisycutter that crept inside Neil Sullvian’s right-hand post, was the pick of the bunch, while the day’s only blot came via Jason Euell’s deflected early equaliser.

The following weekend, United travelled to Derby where two late goals – one from Rams striker Deon Burton, the other from Reds midfielder Jordi Cruyff – ensured honours ended even at Pride Park. The Reds, recently returned from a midweek jaunt to Denmark, were sluggish for long periods and Sir Alex admitted afterwards that a point was perhaps more than his men deserved.

Normal service was resumed at Goodison Park, where United thumped Everton 4-1 with two goals in each half. Dwight Yorke rattled in the first before David Beckham’s cross was bizarrely headed into his own net by Toffees defender Craig Short. Duncan Ferguson brought the Blues briefly back into the game but Andy Cole and summer signing Jesper Blomqvist sealed the points with second-half strikes.

Come the end of the month, United had clawed their way up to second in the league, just a point behind Aston Villa.

The League Cup

You can’t win ‘em all. The Worthington Cup was the only trophy the Reds failed to lift in the 1998/99 campaign, although United did get off to a winning start on a rain-soaked night at Old Trafford.

It was David versus Goliath as the Reds welcomed Lancashire neighbours Bury to the Theatre of Dreams. The Shakers, who ended the league season with relegation to the third tier, belied their minnow status in this cup tie to take United to extra time. It’s not like it was backs against the wall all night, either. Chris Lucketti and Andy Preece both went close for the visitors, but in the end goals from Scandinavians Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Erik Nevland sent the Reds through to the fourth round.

Video: See United hammer Brondby in the Champions League on MUTV Online

October 1998
    FA Premier League
    Southampton 0-3 United (03/10)
    United 5-1 Wimbledon (17/10)
    Derby 1-1 United (24/10)
    Everton 1-4 United (31/10)

UEFA Champions League
    Brondby IF v United (21/10)

Worthington Cup
    United 2-0 v Bury (28/10)

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Queiroz won't forget United

But we always tends to struggle when he not around!
    Think he is very impt to Man Utd and Fergie. Last season's defence was water tight and play was fluid. He is the guy working daily with the players and his tactical knowledge is quite good as well.

But when a job like this come along, he have to go. He is now Portugal number 1, if he stay, only be number 2 and there is no gurantee that he will take over Fergie when he retires.

Ups for my second hometown! I miss Manchester; I miss my uni there; I miss the cold and wet weather; I miss everything! We often saw the footballers of Man U and Man C at the city center! ^^ Oh YESSSSSS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by leejay View Post
    Ups for my second hometown! I miss Manchester; I miss my uni there; I miss the cold and wet weather; I miss everything! We often saw the footballers of Man U and Man C at the city center! ^^ Oh YESSSSSS!!!
    U got go take photo with them?

Reserves: Bolton 0 United 3

United Reserves claimed a first league win under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer thanks to goals from Federico "Kiko" Macheda, Sam Hewson and Tom Cleverley plus a clean sheet by senior keeper Tomasz Kuszczak.

Macheda making the breakthrough at the end of a poor first half was significant; thereafter, Bolton were comfortably beaten at the County Ground in Leyland, scene of United's Lancashire Senior Cup triumph over Liverpool.

David Gray, a scorer in that final and in last week’s reserve league defeat at Wigan, filled in for James Chester as centre-back and skipper. Gray’s right-back berth was occupied by Rafael while Oliver Gill, an imposing centre-half in the Under-18s, made his reserve league debut at left-back.

The game started at a frenetic pace but the first real chance didn’t arrive until the 9th minute. With Bolton threatening to score, Kuszczak came off his line to dive at the feet of Temitope Obadeyi and when the ball broke to Nathan Woolfe, Richard Eckersley blocked the shot brilliantly.

That save was Kuszczak's only real action of note. Although he had to be on his toes to pluck the occasional header and cross out of the air, he was largely a spectator on this successful return from injury, despite the apparent pace and power of Bolton’s front pair Temitope Obadeyi and Ricardo Vaz Te.

At the other end, Cameron Stewart’s early deliveries from the right flank couldn’t find Macheda, who spearheaded a fluid 4-5-1 formation for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side. But Macheda had more joy with service through the middle in the 22nd minute when he traded passes with Sam Hewson before driving a left-foot shot at Bolton goalkeeper Robert Lainton from the edge of the area. Cleverley was only just beaten to the rebound by an alert Wanderers defender.

Macheda made the keeper work again on the brink of half-time after creating an opening on the left with Gill and James. But while Lainton saved this one, he couldn’t prevent Kiko giving United the lead at the end of first-half injury time, moments after Bolton had taken the game’s first corner.

Jimmy Derbyshire cut inside from the left and when his shot took a wicked deflection off Bolton centre-back Chris Stokes and then bounced back from the foot of the post, Macheda used his quick feet to pounce and slot the ball home from six yards.

Still, Solskjaer and his assistant, former Bolton player Warren Joyce, had plenty to try and improve with their half-time talk. So too their opposite number Alan Cork.

Bolton won a string of corners just after the restart - one following a deflected Vaz Te shot - while United's first setpiece of this type saw Gill flick a header just off target. Another header enabled United to go 2-0 up after 53 minutes, with James nodding on Macheda's cross from the left for Sam Hewson to control with one touch and net with another from close range.

Cleverley scored United's best goal from a team and individual perspective in the 65th minute. Rafael and Derbyshire combined well on the right to feed Macheda and when he passed to Cleverley on the edge of the D, the midfielder rifled it into the top right-hand corner beyond the dumbstruck Bolton keeper.

Oliver Norwood entered the fray for Stewart and almost made it four to United when he linked up with Matty James and curled a sweet left-foot shot just over the bar. A double change by Solskjaer later saw Macheda and Derbyshire replaced by Antonio Bryan and another reserve league debutant Scott Wootton.

Three players were booked on the night by referee Mark Heywood - United's Hewson for deliberate handball, plus Bolton's Michael Burns and Robert Sissons who fouled the excellent Reds defender Eckersley.

United Reserves: Tomasz Kuszczak (GK); Rafael, Richard Eckersley, David Gray, Oliver Gill; Cameron Stewart (Oliver Norwood, 70), Matthew James, Sam Hewson, Tom Cleverley, James Derbyshire (Antonio Bryan, 78); Federico Macheda (Scott Wootton, 78). Subs not used: Gary Woods (GK), Evandro Brandao.

Papers: Roo's the daddy?

Rooney: I'm not Theo's father figure
    To be fair to the journalist responsible for the question, Wayne Rooney's ginger beard does make him look like a Quaker Founding Father. Either that or Malcolm Glazer's sixth and youngest son. But Rooney was still left stunned this week when he was asked if he had become something of a father figure to 19-year-old Theo Walcott. "I'm only 22," he said, incredulous at such a suggestion. Rooney certainly does appear older than his passport would have us think and the 46 caps he has so far amassed make him one of the more experienced members of Fabio Capello's England squad. But he very much remains the kid with a head full of dreams, from winning the World Cup to being recognised as the finest footballer on the planet.
    Matt Lawton, Daily Mail

Wayne is quoted in most of the papers following his press conference on Thursday, as the build-up to England vs Kazakhstan continues. There are also some words from Sir Alex Ferguson on Jonny Evans's promising future ('Watch Jonny be good', Daily Mirror).

Otherwise it's a quiet day for United stories but across town there's a rumour that Manchester City have offered wages of £200,000 per week to Fernando Torres! "The Mirror can reveal that representatives of the Premiership club’s Abu Dhabi owners have made discreet contact with the Liverpool striker’s advisors within the last fortnight."

Round up by Adam Bostock

Must-win match for in-form Fletch

Darren Fletcher admits there is a sense of bad timing about the international break, but insists he still relishes leading out Scotland this weekend.

After playing an important role in United's three wins over Bolton, Aalborg and Blackburn, the 24 year-old is hoping to take his club form into Saturday's World Cup qualifier against Norway, his 40th match for Scotland.

"Of course, we’d like to keep going with United because you want to keep up the momentum that we have built up recently, especially so for the fans, who have a two-week break now without a game," Fletcher told MUTV.

“But all players love representing their country, and I’m no different. I’m looking forward to the Scotland game and to playing my part. We lost our first World Cup qualifier but we picked up points in Iceland and now we’ve got Norway at home. It's a must-win match.”

Fletcher has received a glowing endorsement from his international boss George Burley, who feels the midfielder has all the necessary qualities to be a great leader on the pitch.

"Darren has been an outstanding player for Scotland for a number of years," said Burley. "And since I took over, his attitude towards playing for his country has been outstanding. He is a player who is always desperate to represent Scotland.

"It is a measure of his talent that, at his relatively young age, he has achieved so much for his club and will win his 40th cap for his country on Saturday. I know he will be very proud to lead the players out on Saturday. He will do a great job for Scotland."

Rio set to skipper England

Rio Ferdinand could follow Darren Fletcher in leading out his national team this weekend, following an injury in training to England captain John Terry.

If Terry's ruled out, then vice-captain Ferdinand would be the automatic choice to pull on the armband for the Wembley clash with Kazakhstan. As the first home qualifier, this match will be an important step towards World Cup qualification but Rio insists his ambitions are much higher than merely being on the plane to South Africa in 2010.

"With England I have been very disappointed," said Rio at a pre-match press conference.

"It's not just that I have never won anything with England, I have not even been in a position to win something by getting to a major final.

"I regard that is disappointing and the hunger to achieve something is only enhanced by the trophies I have won with Manchester United."

Rio's United team-mates Wes Brown and Wayne Rooney could also start for England on Saturday, while selection for future squads will no doubt be a goal for the currently or recently injured Michael Carrick, Ben Foster, Owen Hargreaves and Gary Neville.

Berba will help me - Rooney

Wayne Rooney believes he will become a better player in the presence of Dimitar Berbatov - but he says the strength of United's attack means he is not guaranteed a place in the side.

The 22-year-old striker hopes his new £30million team-mate will bring continuity to his role up front, where he says playing alongside a player of Berbatov's experience will help him improve.

"The mere fact he is at Old Trafford should take me onto a different level," he says. "I am not guaranteed my place in the side anymore."

While Rooney shares some characteristics with Carlos Tevez, Berbatov has style different to anything else United have got, which is why Rooney feels he will be suited to playing alongside the Bulgarian.

"More than anything I like playing just off a front man," said Rooney, currently on international duty with England. "It's probably because I get on the ball more. I don't like to be out of the game too long.

"Some centre-forwards can stay up front, not touch the ball and just look to score goals. I don't really enjoy doing that. I like to be involved in the game. Mainly at United I have been used in different roles but maybe the fact Dimitar has arrived will bring some continuity to my game."

Rooney admits he likes the pressure of needing to perform to secure his place in the side, citing United's recent clash with Bolton, in which he came off the bench to score his first goal of the season. "I like to play under pressure," he said. "The other week when the manager left me out against Bolton, I was disappointed. I just wanted to get on the pitch as quickly as I could and show him what I could do. I like to prove people wrong if I can."

Sir Alex's star search

When Sir Alex Ferguson called on the UK’s talented young footballers to stand up and be counted, the response was overwhelming.

Nike Most Wanted was a nationwide search led by Sir Alex, the Premier League and Nike with the aim of creating a squad of the country's best unsigned players.

Hundreds of young hopefuls tested their skills at seven gruelling trials around the UK in a bid to be selected for an elite squad of 22 and attend a training camp with Sir Alex himself.

On Saturday 11 October, the Most Wanted TV programme airs at 12:00 and 20:00 BST on Sky One. It's a great chance to see English football's most successful manager at work and get a glimpse of football's future in the UK.

Tune in to see who made it, who missed out and why you should never stop believing.

Sir Alex's star search

Star search? M1, M2 & M3? Wah even Fergie is doing something like those reality TV programmes.

U18s: Wolves 0 United 1

Young Reds midfielder Oliver Norwood's stunning free-kick was well worthy of winning this match.

The 17-year-old has been in fine form so far this season for Paul McGuinness' Under-18s side, and he conjured what proved to be the only goal of the game in the 34th minute.

Norwood had United's first chance immediately on the first whistle. His shot from the halfway line, after being teed up from the kick-off, wasn't far off earning an early lead.

The Burnley-born youngster's ambitious shooting - very often justified by his talent for hitting the target - is one of his major assets when bursting forward from midfield.

He was given his chance to strike from just outside the area when winger Cameron Stewart cut inside from the left and was brought down. Norwood struck a wonderful arcing set-piece past the goalkeeper to make it 1-0.

In a tough, physical battle the Reds managed to see the game out and ensure United got back to winning ways after last week's blip against Crewe.

United: Woods; Brown, Strickland, Wootton, Dudgeon; Curran (James 60), Norwood (c), Petrucci, Tunnicliffe, Stewart (Brady 68); Brandao (King 68).
    Subs not used: Gill, Macheda.

Reserves: United 2 Oldham 1

United's defence of the Manchester Senior Cup continued with another solid victory, but the Reds had to come from behind to overturn Oldham Athletic.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side trailed from the third minute, when Lewis Alessandra converted from close range, but had tellingly turned the scoreline on its head by half-time, thanks to strikes from Matt James and Sam Hewson.

The Reds' starting line-up had a youthful look about it, with the likes of Scott Wootton, Oliver Gill, Cameron Stewart, Jimmy Derbyshire and James in from the off, but England international Ben Foster provided relative experience in goal.

Just three minutes had elapsed when the former Stoke City stopper was beaten, however, as Alessandra pounced on a right-wing cross to nudge the visitors into a shock lead.

United took just 10 minutes to level. Tom Cleverley swung in an inch-perfect free-kick, and James timed his run to perfection to glance home his first goal for the Reds' second string.

Restoring parity so quickly gave the Reds a boost against their more experienced opponents, and Stewart shot narrowly off-target after some fine approach play from his midfield cohorts.

It wasn't long before United found another goal, though, and Hewson followed up his goal against Bolton last week with another against the Latics - although this was a far more spectacular effort.

The energetic midfielder, supporting lone striker Kiko Macheda at every given opportunity, took aim from 25 yards, and smashed a shot which was still rising when it flew into the top corner.

Three goals within the opening half-hour suggested a goal-laden night would follow, but clear chances were at a premium for the remaining hour. Foster made a superb reaction save to deny Chris O'Grady, while Latics keeper Greg Fleming had to be similarly alert to keep out another effort from James.

Having registered a first league win of the season last week, and now posted a second successive Senior Cup victory, United's burgeoning young talents may just be building up momentum.

United: Foster; Wootton, Eckersley, Gray, Gill; Stewart, James, Cleverley, Hewson, Derbyshire (Eikrem 46); Macheda.
    Subs not used: Bryan, Zieler, Norwood, Strickland.

Reds skipper seeks home run

United have to string together a series of home wins, continuing with this Saturday's match against West Bromwich Albion.

That's the message from club captain Gary Neville, who counts an Old Trafford draw back in August as the campaign's biggest blip so far.

"The most disappointing result for us was probably Newcastle at home," Neville told MUTV.

"You can always go to Liverpool and lose... even in seasons gone by when we've won the league, we've sometimes lost there. You never really accept it and you're always disappointed but those games you can lose, away to Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea.

"It's the game at home against Newcastle where we're probably drifting behind a little bit on the two points dropped but I'm sure we've got time to make that up."

United are in the unusual position of drifting behind Liverpool but does Neville think the Merseysiders will be a serious threat in the title race this season?

"I hope not, but we don't know yet, do we? They've started well. They've had some good results - they beat us which was obviously disappointing and gave them some confidence.

"But it's a long season. We know the champions will come from Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea or ourselves. It's a case of who puts the most consistent run together. If we win our game in hand, then we'll only be three points behind the leaders so we're still in contention."

United will have a game in hand for some time yet. Fulham at home is to be rearranged and the midweek match against West Ham on 29 October is part of a full league programme.

Evans' stock keeps rising

Jonny Evans will be sorely missed for Northern Ireland as they take on San Marino at Windsor Park, but the Reds defender has been giving a glowing reference for his future career.

Evans is suspended after being booked during the 2-0 defeat to Slovenia on Saturday, and the Irish are desperate for a victory of San Marino to maintain their World Cup qualification hopes.

Fellow defender Gareth McAuley said: "Jonny has played very well in the last few games and has been knocking on the door at Manchester United so he will be a big miss."

Evans is now back in Manchester trying to carve out a career at Old Trafford. Northern Ireland captain Aaron Hughes is certain his country and United have a star-in-the-making in Belfast-born Jonny.

"There are a lot of good players in this squad but what gives someone the edge is temperament and composure. Jonny has that in abundance," says Hughes.

"I am convinced he will be around for some time with both Northern Ireland and Manchester United. He slotted into the United team as though he'd playing alongside Rio Ferdinand for three or four years. That's the type of player he is.

"He shows tremendous character and composure on the ball - I suppose that is something you would expect coming from Manchester United."

Finding Edwin's heir

Edwin van der Sar equalled Peter Schmeichel’s 129 international caps when he came out of retirement to face Iceland on Saturday. It’s a feat that reminds United’s goalkeeping coach Eric Steele that replacing the Dutchman will be as difficult a task as it was trying to find the great Dane’s successor.

Van der Sar, who turns 38 at the end of this month, has a contract that runs until next summer. He plans to decide on his future beyond that date by the turn of the year.

The Dutchman has been a steadying influence on United since arriving from Fulham in 2005. Steele hopes Edwin can carry on heading up the Reds’ last line of defence, but says the challenge has been set for the likes of Ben Foster and Tomasz Kuszczak.

"Edwin has gone public with the message that this is his last year, but with a view to looking at it and reviewing the position at Christmas. So we have to be prepared for if and when that happens," said Steele.

"Edwin is a very, very experienced goalkeeper. He has been one of the finest in the world in terms of the sweeper-keeper role that this club needs.”

Steele worked with Schmeichel during his time as a coach at Villa Park, and he says the Dane’s rating as most people's best-ever goalkeeper is fully justified.

“It was tough getting someone in to fill Schmeichel's boots, and Edwin's boots are going to be big to fill,” he told the Manchester Evening News. “He will now be remembered for the famous save in the shoot-out in the Champions League final but I think it had been noted by the game’s purists that he was one of the finest in terms of playing out from the back.

“He has been, and still is, one of the best. It’s a joy having viewed him from a distance to now work with him. He has raised the bar. But when the time comes that Sir Alex says, ‘who is going to replace Edwin?' I have to have an answer and reasons for the answer.

"My job is to give the manager as many options as I can,” he added. “That is what we are trying to do. We have to get all the goalkeepers fit and competing and throw the gauntlet down to Tomasz Kuszczak and Ben Foster and ask, ‘who is going to become our no.1.

"This is the time for Tomasz and Ben. This is what they were brought here for. They are both back from injury. Both are fully fit now to accept the challenge and Edwin knows it is there."

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Star search? M1, M2 & M3? Wah even Fergie is doing something like those reality TV programmes.
    Bo Bian...times are bad! we are no 2 in the debt leauge i think just behind RM.

And Nowadays AIG also got problem!

Evans' stock keeps rising

I think he and D. Simpson have a future at Man Utd, esp G. Neville is near the end of his career and Brown at 27-28. They only got the Da Silva twins to contend with.

Bo Bian...times are bad! we are no 2 in the debt leauge i think just behind RM.

And Nowadays AIG also got problem!
    Hmm.....I think as long as Man Utd fans world wide continues to support the club and buy merchandise, I think Man Utd can finance the debt easily. The only prob is whether still got $$$ left to buy players or not.

Think the Glazers' initial plan back in 05 was for Man Utd to break even by 2010-2012 but it seems like 2015 onwards will be more realistic.

Papers: Praise for Rooney

Perfect England, peerless Rooney
    Fabio Capello hailed a magical performance from Wayne Rooney last night after the Manchester United striker inspired a 3-1 win over Belarus that established a record for England’s best start to a World Cup qualifying campaign. Rooney won the ball for Steven Gerrard to open the scoring with a 30-yard strike in the first half before finishing off enterprising opponents with a second-half brace that took his tally to five goals in his past three international matches. “Rooney is a very important player for us and is playing very well,” Capello said. “He is having a magic time at the moment."
    Matt Hughes, The Times

Steven Gerrard also waxed lyrical about United's frontman. "When Wayne's in that form he's up there with the best in the world," said Gerrard. "The understanding and awareness he has is exceptional. It's great to play with him."

Having won four out of four World Cup qualifying matches, Rooney believes England can go on to record ten straight victories en route to South Africa in 2010.

A number of the English newspapers run with quotes from Carlos Tevez saying that he is "not as dangerous [or] as effective in the penalty area anymore. That is something I have lost, and I have to get that back. I used to score better goals, great goals."

And finally, try not to laugh but Brazilian striker Jo says City will win the league. "We will look at a Champions League place then go on from there. We will win the Premier League but this season might be a little bit early."

Round up by Ben Hibbs