Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222730313233343742 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Default Re: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Cristiano Ronaldo is excited about playing alongside Dimitar Berbatov this season after watching the Bulgarian bag two goals for the Reds against Aalborg on Tuesday.

Berbatov struck twice in the second half against the Danes, much to the delight of his boss Sir Alex Ferguson and his team-mates, too.

“It's good for Berba to score his first goals for United, and he played well,” says Ronaldo. “It's always good for forwards to score, it keeps your confidence high. Everyone knows he's a good player. His style is different to Carlos [Tevez] and Wayne [Rooney] but after two or three games we're getting better together. He's a fantastic player and he's going to help the team a lot.”

Berbatov’s first Reds goals and the improving form of Ronaldo and Rooney, who was impressive despite being substituted with an ankle injury after an hour, certainly bode well for the coming weeks. “The most important thing was to win,” added Ronny. “It’s our first Champions League win this season and we hope to reach the next round in first place – that’s our priority.

"We played some good football and 3-0 is a great result. The team has started to play better and better in the last two or three games.”

Ronaldo, who is still gaining match sharpness following his pre-season ankle surgery, insists he feels completely settled at United despite a summer of speculation linking him with a move away from OT. “I feel very comfortable,” he says. “I feel very good at the club, very happy and I want to carry on like that.”
    Waiting for the them to combine their firepower for 1 full match!

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Waiting for the them to combine their firepower for 1 full match!
    Yah man, can't wait to see that.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Berba is really versatile. He can play upfront as the main striker or the support striker role. He can really interchange with his strike partner and even wingers as sometimes he drift out wide, pulling defenders away, allowing the wingers and his striker partner in.

Berba gunning for Rovers

As goal droughts go, one lasting three-and-a-half games is hardly an epic tale of embarrassment and frustration. Nevertheless, Dimitar Berbatov is delighted to have bagged his first United goals since arriving from Tottenham.

The Bulgarian hit a clinical brace in the Reds' win over Aalborg and, while he admits that team success is more important than personal fortunes, he is aiming to keep in the goal-scoring groove during this weekend's trip to Blackburn.

"It was very important for me (to score)," he said. "I’m glad to have done so. I scored the goals with the help of my team-mates and I think we played well tonight. Our next game is on Saturday and I hope to score again then.

"My job is to score, or to create goals for other players, but the most important thing is the win for the team. The pressure is always there and hopefully I will deal with it with help from my team-mates."

Berbatov reacted almost sheepishly when he pounced on a defensive clanger to open his United account, and he revealed after the match that he was still seething about passing up an earlier, easier opportunity.

"I was disappointed to miss my first chance because sometimes you only get one chance in the game, but I kept trying and got the two goals," he said. "I was angry with myself for missing the first chance – I just didn’t hit it right. I was embarrassed: I feel that if I’m getting paid all this money I should be converting these chances!"

Rooney a doubt for Ewood trip

Wayne Rooney is doubtful for United’s trip to Blackburn on Saturday after injuring his ankle against Aalborg on Tuesday.

The Reds striker could miss this weekend’s league encounter after going over on his ankle during the second half of United's 3-0 win in Denmark.

However, the injury is not thought to be serious enough to rule him out of international duty next week.

A club spokesperson told ManUtd.com: “Wayne has an ankle injury and is considered doubtful for Saturday’s game against Blackburn, but he should recover in time for England’s forthcoming matches."

The 22-year-old may be forced to sit out United’s clash with Paul Ince’s Blackburn side, but he will join up with the rest of the England squad next week in preparation for their World Cup qualifiers against Kazakhstan on Saturday 11 October and Belarus on Wednesday 15 October.

Scholes out for 10 weeks

Paul Scholes has suffered medial ligament damage and will be out for approximately 10 weeks.

The news came at lunchtime on Wednesday, the day after Scholes had been stretchered off in United's 3-0 win over Aalborg BK in Denmark.

Scholes wasn't the only casualty. Wayne Rooney and right-back Rafael were also substituted for medical reasons during the match. But Scholes was the first injured and, it would seem, the most serious.

"There were a lot of plus points but we lost Paul Scholes," Sir Alex said after the final whistle.

"We had one or two other injuries," the boss added. "Young Rafael got injured and Rooney has an ankle problem. He felt a weakness in it when he went to receive a ball and we took him off straightaway.

"So there was maybe a cost to pay for the victory. Nonetheless we have four points now and it's where we want to be."

The three points in Aalborg were made safe by Dimitar Berbatov's first and second goals in a United shirt. Sir Alex was delighted to see the Bulgarian open his account so emphatically in only his fifth appearance.

"He scored two fantastic goals and that will help his confidence," said the manager.

"When you're transferred for that amount of money, you want your first goal quickly and he's got it. The second goal (volley from Ronaldo's cross) was a lovely goal."

Berbatov's second-half brace may have spared the blushes of his team-mates - Sir Alex's other complaint, aside from the injuries, was that "we missed a lot of chances."

Papers: Reds target Turk?

Fergie eyes top Turk kid
    Turkish whizkid Sercan Yildirim is a target for Manchester United. Last night the £5million-rated Bursaspor striker, 18, admitted: “United have contacted my family and the president of the club. When a club with their reputation is interested in you, you have to take notice.”
    Staff reporter, The Sun

The Reds may have lost Paul Scholes for ten weeks through injury, but the Daily Mail claims Wayne Rooney's ankle injury might not be as bad as first thought.

There is more reaction from Dimitar Berbatov following his brace in Aalborg. The Bulgarian reveals that he didn’t really celebrate his first goal because he was still angry with himself for missing an earlier chance.

In other news, United assistant manager Mike Phelan will appear as the crucial witness when the FA hear the Patrice Evra racism case at Soho Square on Thursday. Premier League rivals United and Chelsea will come face to face in London as a hearing into April's 'Battle of Stamford Bridge' is convened.

Round up by Gemma Thompson

Match Pack: Blackburn

After slow starts both United and Blackburn have found their form ahead of Saturday’s early evening kick-off at Ewood Park…

Form guide: Blackburn’s form has recovered remarkably since drawing with Hull, losing 4-1 to West Ham and 4-0 to Arsenal. Incey’s men have won their last three league matches against Newcastle (2-1), Everton (1-0) and Fulham (1-0). “We’ve got three wins in a row, so we’re improving,” says Ince. Similarly, United’s form has picked up of late – the Reds are now unbeaten in the last five in all competitions.

Ins and outs: United will be without Michael Carrick (ankle) and Paul Scholes (knee), while Wayne Rooney is considered a major doubt with an ankle problem. Blackburn are without midfielder David Dunn and goalkeeper Paul Robinson (both calf). Robinson will be replaced by Welsh international Jason Brown, who stepped in for Rovers’ recent 2-1 win over Newcastle.

Star men: You find it hard to look past Roque Santa Cruz, who scored in the win over Joe Kinnear’s men. He’s deadly in the box, but Blackburn have a number of dangerous forwards: James Derbyshire, Benni McCarthy and Jason Roberts. Dimitar Berbatov’s confidence will have been boosted by his two goals in midweek, while Cristiano Ronaldo is gaining match fitness and Carlos Tevez will be raring to go in Rooney’s place.

Rivals watch: Sunderland v Arsenal (Sat 15:00 BST), Chelsea v Aston Villa (Sun 15:00 BST), Manchester City v Liverpool (Sun 15:00 BST)

Match Pack: Blackburn

Midfield is really bad. Scholes, Carrick and Hargreaves out. Think now only left Fletcher and Anderson in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Midfield is really bad. Scholes, Carrick and Hargreaves out. Think now only left Fletcher and Anderson in the middle.
    Ya lor ... back to square one!

But Manucho is with the reserve team hope to see him soon!

Ya lor ... back to square one!

But Manucho is with the reserve team hope to see him soon!
    Well its a good 2-0 away win. Din create that many chances but limited Blackburn to only a few attacks. Great to see Rooney and Ronaldo combining for the 2nd goal. Fletcher's positioning in the penalty box is really good. He should train his shooting/finishing. Think he should convert to striker.

Hope to see Manucho soon. Never see him play before but think he will fit in quite well. Just that with Berba around, his chances will be quite limited.
    Last edited by afbug; 5th October 2008 at 03:52 AM.

mmm i thought we played very well yesterday.
    altho the chances we created were only a few, they were quite solid chances.
    our ball-winning were good, short passing were good, i thought we had a good grip on controllin the game
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Yah, I agree. I thought we played pretty well in the game against Blackburn. Rooney's goal was superb.

Hoping to see Manucho in action soon.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Report: Rovers 0 United 2

Goals from Wes Brown and Wayne Rooney sealed an impressive away victory as United totally dominated Blackburn Rovers on their own patch.

The Reds called the tune from start to finish at Ewood Park and, although Blackburn protested long and loud about the award of Brown's first-half goal, there was no question that Sir Alex Ferguson's side were deserved winners.

Rovers goalkeeper Jason Brown claimed that he was fouled as Brown headed in a Wayne Rooney corner, but the rookie stopper was otherwise kept busy restricting United to a respectable scoreline.

After a slow, stop-start beginning to the season, there have been signs in recent weeks that the Reds have been creeping towards top form, and this latest display is the clearest indication yet that the champions have hit their stride.

Sir Alex opted for an attacking line-up as he sought to extend a three-game winning streak, with Dimitar Berbatov and Cristiano Ronaldo selected upfront alongside Rooney, who overcame an ankle injury sustained in Tuesday's win over Aalborg.

For all the Reds' attacking talent, however, it was Nemanja Vidic who almost opened the scoring, but the Serbian centre-back couldn't quite contort to convert Rooney's deflected left-wing corner.

Ewood Park has hardly been a happy hunting ground for United in recent seasons, and Matt Derbyshire served notice of Rovers' threat after 14 minutes when his low shot forced a fine save from Edwin van der Sar.

That was the hosts' most promising piece of play, though, as United called the early tune. Darren Fletcher slid a clear opening wide and Giggs forced a marvellous save from Brown, but the Reds took the lead from the resulting corner.

As players jostled for position to meet Rooney's inswinging cross, the Rovers goalkeeper found his route to the ball blocked by Vidic - who had eyes only for the ball - and Brown was on hand to sneak a header inside the near post.

Jason Brown was called upon to save well at Rooney's feet shortly before half-time as - bar a routine save by van der Sar from Roque Santa Cruz - the Reds' dominance of possession and play continued long into the second half.

Just after the hour mark came the killer second goal. Brown burst out of defence and found Ronaldo, who outmuscled Martin Olsen before pulling back for Rooney to stylishly finish into the top corner.

A third goal in as many appearances for Rooney, who has responded perfectly to being benched against Bolton Wanderers last weekend, and he almost hit number four shortly afterwards, but his neat lob clipped the roof of Brown's net.

Berbatov, Ronaldo and substitute Carlos Tevez, who struck the post with a superb 20-yard effort, all came close to adding gloss to the scoreline, but the Reds couldn't find a way past Brown again.

Blackburn could count themselves lucky to suffer only a two-goal defeat after being bewitched by a swaggering masterclass from United. Less relieved will be those who most covet the Reds' Premier League crown, who saw the clearest sign yet that the champions are approaching top form.

Team line-ups

BLACKBURN ROVERS: Brown; Ooijer, Samba, Nelson, Warnock; Emerton, Tugay, Olsen, Pedersen; Santa Cruz, Derbyshire.
    Subs not used: Bunn, Mokoena, Villanueva, Fowler, Treacy, Roberts, Andrews.
    Bookings: Pedersen, Samba

MANCHESTER UNITED: Van der Sar; Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra (O'Shea 71); Fletcher, Anderson, Giggs (Tevez 66); Rooney (Park 77), Ronaldo, Berbatov.
    Subs not used: Amos, Nani, Rafael, Evans.
    Bookings: Fletcher

Attendance: 27,000

Rooney hits top gear

Wayne Rooney says he hasn’t changed his approach after scoring his third goal in three games to help United to an impressive 2-0 win over Blackburn Rovers.

The 22-year-old Reds forward has been in fine form recently, scoring against Bolton Wanderers, Aalborg and now Blackburn. But Rooney defended his form at the start of the season by saying the only difference now is that he is finding the back of the net.

“Once you get your first goal of the season your confidence is sky-high. I’ve not really been doing anything differently,” he said after scoring the goal that clinched victory over Paul Ince's men.

“I’m not doing anything different to what I was doing at the start of the season. I’ve just been taking my chances – that’s the only real difference.”

Rooney’s performance – including his fantastic second-half top-corner strike – was arguably his most complete of the season so far. The same goes for United, whose fluid movement in attack was a joy to watch, particularly after the break.

“It’s a great result for us because it’s been a difficult place to come to in the last few years,” Rooney told Setanta Sports. “The conditions weren’t the best, it was raining heavily, but I thought we played well and deserved the win.

“We moved the ball well at times. We were confident in possession and getting the goal in the first half allowed us to pass the ball more freely in the second half. We knew we’d get the chances to finish the game off and we did.”
    Looks like Roodney is gaining form!

Harsh lesson for Reserves

United’s Reserves were taught a simple lesson in Thursday evening’s defeat to Wigan Athletic – kill games off when you have the chance.

Having dominated the early exchanges without making a breakthrough, United fell behind but then looked set to push on after David Gray’s 80th-minute equaliser. Although Cameron Stewart struck the bar, Wigan broke away a minute later to steal the points.

Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made a habit of taking chances as a player, and he wants his side to live by that mantra after seeing the Latics snatch an unlikely victory.

“In games like this when you play that well and create chances, you have to take the chances,” Ole told MUTV after the match. “That’s the lesson they have to learn from tonight – that you have to kill the games off when you can.

“When they scored I think our lads changed their approach a bit. They tried to do things they shouldn’t do and we didn’t keep playing the way we wanted to. That’s a learning curve, it’s nothing but education if you take the right lessons from it.”

Having drawn level through Gray’s header, United piled forward in search of victory. Had Stewart’s cross-shot been hit a millimetre lower, the Reds would surely have taken the spoils. As it was, Wigan’s breakaway winner came from the resultant corner, but Solskjaer was unperturbed by the late loss.

“That’s our game – we wanted to go and win the game,” he said. “We didn’t want to settle for a draw, then they counter-attacked and scored a good goal. That’s just the way it goes. They were disappointed in there, but they’ll pick themselves up next game.

“You have to pick yourself up. Your only response is to play well in the next game. We’re just developing players here and they have to learn from this. Next week we play Bolton again, luckily we don’t have to wait two weeks for the next game.”

Ratings: Blackburn v United

ManUtd.com's Steve Bartram takes a look at how United's players performed individually in Saturday's early-evening trip to Blackburn Rovers...

Edwin van der Sar - Although ultimately he had little to do in the teeming rain, Edwin's first-half save from Derbyshire was vital to maintaining parity early on.

Wes Brown - After coming under the spotlight for his running battle with Gary Neville and Rafael for the right-back berth, Wes turned in a superb display in defence and attack - even notching a rare goal.

Rio Ferdinand - Blackburn's reserved approach gave Rio plenty of time on the ball. As well as dealing with the hosts' occasional attacks, the classy centre-back also enjoyed frequent forays forward.

Nemanja Vidic - Rovers were aggrieved by the Serb's role in Brown's opening goal, but they would be more frustrated at how he and Ferdinand expertly contained Blackburn's limited threat.

Patrice Evra - Much of the Reds' attacking brilliance came from central areas, so the Frenchman could concentrate on comfortably keeping Rovers' right flank quiet.

Darren Fletcher - Another breathless display from the in-form Scot, who could easily have capped another good performance with a goal in the first half.

Anderson - The Brazilian has been getting better with each game, and he was central to the Reds' display again at Ewood Park, linking the attack and defence with great style.

Ryan Giggs - Sir Alex has admitted that Giggs' future lies in a central role, and the veteran could probably spend a number of years there judging by this superb display.

Cristiano Ronaldo - Came in for some rough treatment by Andre Ooijer and Rovers' other defenders, but Ronny's direct running was always a threat and he laid on the killer second goal for Rooney.

Dimitar Berbatov - Having got off the mark in midweek, Berba will be disappointed not to have scored with a decent second-half chance, but his touches and flicks were still a joy to behold.

Wayne Rooney - Utterly outstanding stuff from the on-song forward. A surprise inclusion after a midweek injury, Rooney hassled, harried and scored a superb second goal - his third in a week.

Substitutes

Carlos Tevez - The scurrying Argentine will have been eager to prove a point after being benched, and he so nearly did so with a fine shot which struck the upright.

John O'Shea - Thrown into the fray with the simple task of containing Rovers' late pressure, he dealt comfortably with everything thrown at him.

Ji-sung Park - The Korean had little chance to influence play in his limited outing.

Boss: We were on-song

Having seen his side make a mockery of a traditionally tricky trip to Blackburn - one made in saturated conditions to boot - Sir Alex Ferguson was delighted to notch a fourth straight win on Saturday.

The Reds ran out 2-0 winners in the early evening kick-off, and could have had a hatful more as they made mincemeat of Paul Ince's side, much to the approval of the Reds boss.

"This is one of the most difficult grounds to come to," Sir Alex told MUTV after the match. "We’ve lost and drawn games, but today was a really emphatic performance. The confidence of the team was outstanding and everyone was on song.

"It was a really good performance, and the reason for that is that everyone’s use of the ball was spot on. The first 10 minutes was a typical Blackburn-United game, it was hammer and tongs, tackles flying in and it wasn't settled.

"But once we got hold of the ball we started to use it really well, and we controlled the match. The counter-attack was always on for us because once they were 1-0 down they had to gamble at some points. When they did, we capitalised on it."

Goals from Wes Brown and Wayne Rooney gave the Reds victory, while profligate finishing and Rovers goalkeeper Jason Brown conspired to restrict United's goal tally to just two. Although hard pressed to find fault in an otherwise fantastic performance, Sir Alex was slightly irked by the lack of opportunities taken.

"We missed a few chances today, that’s the only criticism of the team," he said. "We had two one-on-ones in the first half, the keeper made a fantastic save from Ryan Giggs, and I don’t know how many one-on-ones we had in the second half, at least three. It could have been a big score for us. You don’t want to miss easy chances, and we missed some easy chances today."

The majority of United's squad will now jet off around the globe to play for their respective countries, and Sir Alex is hopeful that the international break - the third of the season to date - won't prove too disruptive for his on-song side.

"We never really get settled until the internationals are all completely over," he said. "Once this is over, hopefully we’ll get back into our rhythm quickly. Throughout November I expect us to really get going."

Queiroz won't forget United

International breaks are now where ex-Reds assistant boss Carlos Queiroz earns his living. He's revealed the decision to leave United was far from easy and says he'll "never forget" his time at Old Trafford.

"It's impossible to be at United for five years and forget the things that I experienced," Queiroz told MUTV. "I'll never forget that period of my life working with the players, the staff, the manager, and especially the fans."

The job offer to work with Portugal naturally played on Queiroz's sense of national duty, but also presented the chance to return to some home comforts.

"The chance to become the Portugal national team manager was difficult to turn down," he adds. "I left Portugal in 1993 and my initial decision was to be away for six months. Then, nearly 15 years later, I still hadn’t gone back.

"After five years in England the chance to manage Portugal was the combination of two wishes; firstly, that it is a very difficult to ignore the offer of being manager of your country; the second being that I could return home and be with family and friends. It was a great attraction.

"But, on the other side, there were a lot reasons to stay - the majority of the reasons were to stay at United. It wasn’t an easy decision. I didn't say goodbye when I left United, it isn’t goodbye. Manchester United is a special place and I will always have a huge fondness for the club."
    But we always tends to struggle when he not around!

Papers: Fletch gets band

Fletch leading by example
    Darren Fletcher has been handed the Scotland captain’s armband for Saturday’s crucial World Cup showdown against Norway. George Burley has selected the 24-year-old Manchester United midfielder despite the claims of Old Firm defenders Gary Caldwell and David Weir. Burley is the third Scotland manager to name Fletcher skipper, with Berti Vogts and Alex McLeish previously having given him the honour. "Darren has been an outstanding player for Scotland for a number of years," said Burley. "At the same time, he has established himself as a regular player at one of the world’s biggest clubs. Since I took over, his attitude towards playing for his country has been outstanding. He is a player who is always desperate to represent Scotland. It is a measure of his talent that, at his relatively young age, he has achieved so much for his club and will win his 40th cap for his country on Saturday. I know he will be very proud to lead the players out on Saturday. He will do a great job for Scotland."
    Peter Jardine, Daily Mail

In other news, the Mail claims the Reds are monitoring Gremio prodigy Douglas Costa, who has reportedly also caught the eye of Real Madrid and Barcelona. Costa has already trained with the senior Brazil squad and has begun to impress for Gremio, scoring from 20 yards in Saturday's 2-1 win against Botafogo.

Former United midfielder Quinton Fortune is close to joining Serie B outfit Brescia. The former South Africa international will undergo a medical before signing a contract with the Italian outfit, the club confirmed.

Round up by Gemma Thompson