Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192427282930313439 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Default Re: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    I dun dare to think wat will happen when we play chelsea this weekend!

The 2 old man must not be together!
    I think its more like the defence. Its kinda disorganised since Carlos Q left Man Utd. Have been conceding goals since then!

Tonite, start the CL title defence at home to Villareal. Hope the defence will buck up. Carrick injured again. Scholes suspended. Anderson should step up and try to stake his claim in the midfield.

17/09/2008 22:18, Report by Steve Bartram

Evra relishes tough task

Following Wednesday's goalless draw with Villarreal, Patrice Evra admits United are facing up to a tough challenge in trying to repeat last season's Double.

The Reds have just one win from five competitive games this season but, after the emotional glory of last May, French full-back Evra is still relishing the task of defending two major trophies this term.

"It's not extra pressure, it's just a massive challenge," he told MUTV after Wednesday's draw. "It's easy to win some titles when you play for United, but it's very hard to keep the trophies.

"You have the best challenge this year to prove that, to keep the Champions League and the Premier League.
    "It is more difficult (as champions). You have to work harder in training every day, but I am just glad to have the challenge like that. When you go to play for United, you need challenges like that."

The Reds' tough start to the season will continue this weekend when high-flying Chelsea prepare to welcome Sir Alex Ferguson's side to Stamford Bridge.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Park: It's good to be back

Ji-sung Park says he was delighted to be back out on the pitch as United and Villarreal played out a 0-0 draw on Wednesday night.

Park, who started his first game for the Reds since undergoing an operation over the summer, drew praise from Sir Alex for his energetic performance on the right side of midfield.

“It’s been a long time since I last played for United, so it was good to get out there again,” Park told reporters after the match. “I’m quite satisfied with my performance, but there’s still room for improvement.”

And although Villarreal kept the Reds scoreless, the South Korean international says his team-mates aren’t overly concerned by the result.

“The performance was okay,” he insisted. “We just couldn’t score.

“It’s only the first game in this season’s Champions League, so we’re not worried too much. We’ll keep going, our confidence will grow and hopefully the goals will come.

“I think we’re good enough to defend the trophy this season – our squad is strong and we have a lot of experience from last season.”

Sir Alex: Plenty of positives

Sir Alex insists there were plenty of positives to take from United’s performance against Villarreal on Wednesday night, even though the Reds failed to find the back of the net.

“I think we played some good football," he told MUTV.

"The lads expressed themselves and enjoyed themselves and played with a great deal of commitment. Considering three or four players were playing their first real game of the season I think we can take heart from that performance. We were unlucky not to win it."

"Carlos Tevez had a shot knocked off the line and Jonny Evans hit the inside of the post. I think Cristiano would have scored with his header had Carlos Tevez not got in his eyeline, which distracted him a bit.

"But I’m pleased with the performance. I think the boys showed great commitment."

The manager was also impressed with the contributions from midfielders Owen Hargreaves, Ji-sung Park and Nani. Park and Nani were particularly lively down the flanks in the first half, while Owen Hargreaves bossed the centre of the park.

“Ji-sung Park was absolutely fantastic tonight. I was very pleased with his performance. And aside from the game in Monaco, it was Nani’s first real start for us this season. I thought he did very well."

Park started very brightly and was unlucky not to be awarded at least one penalty in the first half.

"I think there was a stonewall penalty when Ji was in a clear scoring position," the manager said. "He’s gone by the defender and the player’s not got anywhere near the ball. He’s brought him down and I think that’s a penalty."

Report: United 0 Villarreal 0

United's Champions League defence got off to a frustrating start, as Villarreal's stifling approach yielded a goalless draw at Old Trafford.

Both sides struck the upright in the second half as the game opened up, but not even the return of Cristiano Ronaldo as a substitute could provide the inspiration required for United to overcome the Spaniards.

Following Saturday's defeat at Liverpool, Sir Alex Ferguson freshened up his side with six changes. Jonny Evans and Gary Neville replaced Nemanja Vidic and Wes Brown in defence, while Ji-sung Park, Darren Fletcher, Owen Hargreaves and Nani comprised an entirely new midfield quartet.

The Reds' reversion to a 4-4-2 saw Wayne Rooney back upfront alongside Carlos Tevez, with new signing Dimitar Berbatov ruled out entirely by a slight knee injury sustained during his debut.

Despite the wholesale changes, United fashioned the first opening after eight minutes. Hargreaves' left-wing corner evaded everybody, including Villarreal 'keeper Diego Lopez. Fortunately for the flapping Spaniard, his attempts to claim the ball were enough to put off the unmarked Rio Ferdinand, who could only mis-hit his effort, allowing the chance to pass.

Lopez did muster a fine save from Tevez's powerful 25-yarder, but the visitors were lucky to survive two decent penalty shouts when Park was twice brought down inside the area. An effort from Rooney - from the halfway line on the stroke of half-time - perfectly summed up the mood of frustration inside Old Trafford.

Villarreal emerged late for the second half, continuing the theme of doing all they could to stifle United. They almost nicked a lead, when Guille Franco sent a cheeky backheel against van der Sar's post, prompting the introduction of substitutes Ronaldo and Anderson to try and inspire some penetration.

The move gave the Old Trafford crowd a major lift, and Ronaldo's first major contribution was to release Rooney on a breakaway. The striker unselfishly squared for Tevez who managed to scuff a shot goalwards, only for Yellow Submarines skipper Gonzalo Rodriguez to slide the ball off the line.

With 10 minutes remaining, Ronaldo passed up a golden opportunity to mark his return with a dramatic winner, as he could only glance a header wide from Nani's inswinging left-wing cross. Moments later, Ronaldo fizzed in a superb cross, but Jonny Evans could only send a diving header against the foot of the post.

That proved to be the match's last effort of note. A draw ended a run of two straight defeats - against Zenit St Petersburg and Liverpool - but was far from the ideal start to United's defence of the Champions League title.

The Reds' glut of tricky early-season fixtures shows no sign of slowing, with Chelsea next up in Sunday's massive Premier League showdown - and how the Reds would love to return to winning ways against their closest rivals at Stamford Bridge.

Team Line-ups

MANCHESTER UNITED: Van der Sar; Neville, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra; Park (Ronaldo 62), Fletcher, Hargreaves (Anderson 62), Nani; Tevez (Giggs 81), Rooney.
    Subs not used: Foster, Brown, Vidic, O'Shea.
    Booked: Tevez

VILLARREAL: D Lopez; A Lopez, Edmilson, Rodriguez, Capdevila; Eguren, Cani (Cazorla 46), Fernandez, Godin, Pires (Ibagaza 68); Franco (Llorente 77)
    Subs not used: Viera, Venta, Senna, Fuentes.
    Booked: Franco, Ibagaza, D Lopez.

Attendance: 74, 944

Seems like the team still can't get going. Dunno whats wrong. I think defence is a suspect. Yesterday should have at least 1 penalty. Ref blind mans.

man u usually starts slow
    but once the momentum picks up... its turbo all the way
    lets hope we start our acceleration soon!
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    I think its more like the defence. Its kinda disorganised since Carlos Q left Man Utd. Have been conceding goals since then!
    For defence is all i have to say is SACK Brownie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Report: United 0 Villarreal 0

United's Champions League defence got off to a frustrating start, as Villarreal's stifling approach yielded a goalless draw at Old Trafford.

Both sides struck the upright in the second half as the game opened up, but not even the return of Cristiano Ronaldo as a substitute could provide the inspiration required for United to overcome the Spaniards.

Following Saturday's defeat at Liverpool, Sir Alex Ferguson freshened up his side with six changes. Jonny Evans and Gary Neville replaced Nemanja Vidic and Wes Brown in defence, while Ji-sung Park, Darren Fletcher, Owen Hargreaves and Nani comprised an entirely new midfield quartet.

The Reds' reversion to a 4-4-2 saw Wayne Rooney back upfront alongside Carlos Tevez, with new signing Dimitar Berbatov ruled out entirely by a slight knee injury sustained during his debut.

Despite the wholesale changes, United fashioned the first opening after eight minutes. Hargreaves' left-wing corner evaded everybody, including Villarreal 'keeper Diego Lopez. Fortunately for the flapping Spaniard, his attempts to claim the ball were enough to put off the unmarked Rio Ferdinand, who could only mis-hit his effort, allowing the chance to pass.

Lopez did muster a fine save from Tevez's powerful 25-yarder, but the visitors were lucky to survive two decent penalty shouts when Park was twice brought down inside the area. An effort from Rooney - from the halfway line on the stroke of half-time - perfectly summed up the mood of frustration inside Old Trafford.

Villarreal emerged late for the second half, continuing the theme of doing all they could to stifle United. They almost nicked a lead, when Guille Franco sent a cheeky backheel against van der Sar's post, prompting the introduction of substitutes Ronaldo and Anderson to try and inspire some penetration.

The move gave the Old Trafford crowd a major lift, and Ronaldo's first major contribution was to release Rooney on a breakaway. The striker unselfishly squared for Tevez who managed to scuff a shot goalwards, only for Yellow Submarines skipper Gonzalo Rodriguez to slide the ball off the line.

With 10 minutes remaining, Ronaldo passed up a golden opportunity to mark his return with a dramatic winner, as he could only glance a header wide from Nani's inswinging left-wing cross. Moments later, Ronaldo fizzed in a superb cross, but Jonny Evans could only send a diving header against the foot of the post.

That proved to be the match's last effort of note. A draw ended a run of two straight defeats - against Zenit St Petersburg and Liverpool - but was far from the ideal start to United's defence of the Champions League title.

The Reds' glut of tricky early-season fixtures shows no sign of slowing, with Chelsea next up in Sunday's massive Premier League showdown - and how the Reds would love to return to winning ways against their closest rivals at Stamford Bridge.

Team Line-ups

MANCHESTER UNITED: Van der Sar; Neville, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra; Park (Ronaldo 62), Fletcher, Hargreaves (Anderson 62), Nani; Tevez (Giggs 81), Rooney.
    Subs not used: Foster, Brown, Vidic, O'Shea.
    Booked: Tevez

VILLARREAL: D Lopez; A Lopez, Edmilson, Rodriguez, Capdevila; Eguren, Cani (Cazorla 46), Fernandez, Godin, Pires (Ibagaza 68); Franco (Llorente 77)
    Subs not used: Viera, Venta, Senna, Fuentes.
    Booked: Franco, Ibagaza, D Lopez.

Attendance: 74, 944
    Alamak draw 0-0 at home! lucky our home record is still unbeaten hope will stay that way till the end!

Blog Entries

Hail fellow man utd fans!!
    Wat time is the BIG match tonite?

Sigh...we could have beaten Chelski at their home ground last night.
    Seems like we are still on holiday mood and we are gonna be fined for the number of Yellow Cards we received.

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Sigh...we could have beaten Chelski at their home ground last night.
    Seems like we are still on holiday mood and we are gonna be fined for the number of Yellow Cards we received.
    Sainz again we drop points!

Ya ... Botak really like to flash yellow i think almost the entire team got it expect for VDS!!!!
    Compared to the blues i think they got only 1 or 2 yellows!

Yeah we are still on holiday mood but the good news we play better when we were at AnField! and Park scores when we need it most as strikers sruggling to find form!
    Ronaldo was just a shadow of himself last nite although his first touch was an attempt but.............. And Roodney miss the golden chance open goal if that had gone in we had secure a 2-0 lead but alas..... and SAF sub Park for O Shea with abt 25 mins to go! Too early to go into defensive mood and Roodney concede the free kick which results to the goal! What a mess!!!

i'd say we were lucky to get 1 point from the game.
    we played well first half, but chelsea were dominating in the 2nd half,
    and we never looked like capable of putting a 2nd past Cech
    anelka almost killed us if not for his silly miss
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    i'd say we were lucky to get 1 point from the game.
    we played well first half, but chelsea were dominating in the 2nd half,
    and we never looked like capable of putting a 2nd past Cech
    anelka almost killed us if not for his silly miss
    No really. Before Chelsea scored, Rooney had an excellent chance. Almost a 1 on 1 but he fluffed it. Missed! Should have at least made Cech save. Man Utd was a little unlucky to concede that goal. Defence is still struggling a little. Not as polish or effecient as last season.

stop relying on looney lah , i duno y pple still rely him to score or to deliver , he cant even keep the ball lol..
    looks like alex never wake up , die die want to use looney now lagi worse put him on the right wat a joke man he cant even dribble.. zzz
    park shd play the whole match , he is good at stealing balls .. wat a shame to let him out after he scores..

Blog: Back in business

MUTV commentator Stewart Gardner gives thoughts on a determined display after travelling back with the team from Stamford Bridge...

When United boarded the 18:10 train from London Euston last night, I thought I could detect disappointment within the squad. I guess when you come within 10 minutes of smashing Chelsea’s four-and-a-half-year unbeaten home league record, that’s understandable.

But I was extremely buoyed by United’s display. The fighting spirit, the harrying and hassling that was missing at Anfield was on show for everyone to see.

Jonny Evans grew in stature as the game wore on, Gary Neville showed his tenacity in his first Premier League game for 18 months, Fletcher outshone Lampard in midfield, Park worked as hard as anyone on the field and Berbatov and Rooney showed glimpses of what could become a productive partnership.

And have United ever had a stronger bench? Ronaldo, Tevez, Giggs, Nani... Anderson couldn’t even get a place among the subs.

Park's goal wasn't the only thing United fans could cheer. The highlight for me was our away supporters cheering John Terry to the rafters every time the Chelsea skipper touched the ball, and singing: "Viva John Terry, he could have won the cup but he messed(!) it up…".

The lowpoint? For me it had to be Mike Riley. Seven yellow cards for United and barely a bad tackle in the game. Embarrassing. The respect agenda has got to work both ways.

At least Riley got one decision right. He allowed the second half to get underway without Drogba, who was taking a ludicrous amount of time to get himself ready to come on as a substitute, strapping and unstrapping a friendship bracelet and doing his hair.

It’s rare for United to go into any game as underdogs but, such was both teams' form going into the match, that was the case at Stamford Bridge.

All the big hitters from the London press corps were there to see if Chelsea could go nine points clear of the Reds. Instead they witnessed a hugely promising United performance characterised by resilience and purpose. Our season starts here.

The views expressed in 12 O’Clock Blog articles are personal to the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Manchester United FC.

Sir Alex: Now watch us go

The Reds may have started the season slowly but United manager Sir Alex Ferguson insists top form is just around the corner.

United’s 1-1 draw with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday leaves the Reds with just five points after four games. But there’s no need to panic, according to the manager.

“We’ve had a tough start,” Sir Alex told Sky Sports. “We’ve had to go away to Anfield – and we threw that game away in terms of the goals we conceded – and now we’ve had to come to Stamford Bridge.

“We’ve also been away to Portsmouth, which is a fixture a lot of teams will find difficult, just as we have down the years. So it’s been tough.

“It’s difficult to say where this 1-1 result places us but what I do know is that come October we’ll be fine.

“The players will have plenty of minutes on the clock, the level of our game will go up, Ronaldo and Berbatov will have games behind them... you’ll see us at our best then.”

The manager was also quick to point out that although United linger in the bottom half of the Barclays Premier League, the Reds have played one less game than most of their opponents.

“The press worked themselves into a fever over the weekend about the possibility of Chelsea going nine points clear. Of course, you have to remember we have a game in hand, which is important.”

22/09/2008 13:56, Report by Ben Hibbs

Boss to give youth a chance

Sir Alex Ferguson will use Tuesday’s Carling Cup third round tie with Middlesbrough to test some his returning first-team stars and blood several youngsters. But it’s not just experimental – the boss is intent on winning.

Attentions turn to the Carling Cup after Sunday's valuable Premier League point against Chelsea. And Sir Alex is keen to do better than United’s exit at the hands of Coventry City at the same stage of the competition last season.

"My team will involve changes,” he told United Review. "There will be a mix of youth and experience."

"It's important that I give players coming back from injury some pitch time. The likes of Owen Hargreaves, Ji-sung Park, Nani, Anderson and Cristiano Ronaldo all need games and they could be involved either in the starting line-up or on the bench.”

There will also be opportunities for United’s young guns, a host of rising starlets keen to cut their teeth in a competition renowned for giving youth its first chance to shine.

"I also have it in mind to look to youngsters like Jonny Evans, Darron Gibson, Danny Welbeck and Rafael, though unfortunately not his twin brother Fabio, he has a shoulder injury and is having an operation.

"I’m disappointed that Manucho hasn't recovered completely from a metatarsal injury, this would have been a good opportunity to look at him and Welbeck in combination. Nevertheless, my team will add up to a strong side capable of winning."

Wes Brown is backing United's youngsters to show their mettle against Middlesbrough if they're given a chance to play in the Carling Cup match.

As a graduate of the Old Trafford youth system, Wes knows how big an opportunity the cup tie could be for the junior members of the playing staff. But the Reds defender says player development isn't the sole purpose for the Reds' participation.

Wes told MUTV: "The Carling Cup is a great competition. We've won it once recently (against Wigan in 2006) and we lost another final to Liverpool (in 2003).

"When I was younger and not quite in the first team squad it was a great opportunity for players like me to come through."

Brown's senior appearances were still in single figures when he first played in the League Cup against Bury 10 years ago. And current first-team colleagues including Jonny Evans, John O'Shea and Paul Scholes have all made their debuts in the competition.

"It's not just for that - we go into every cup wanting to win it - but it does help young lads by giving them the experience they need.

"When young lads are looking at the timetable for the season, they look in particular for the Carling Cup. It's probably the biggest stage they will play on all season, and therefore a big chance to show the gaffer what they can do if he calls upon them."