Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9141718192021242944 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Default Re: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    I don't think Fraizer is good enought for MU...he will definately starts for team like Hull but we need someone big & fast and who can win a match single handly...even Oba Martin faired better.

By right Saha is close to one but by left he can never play more than a dozen matches without getting injury

After two subsequent goal drough, suddenly Berbatov looks very likely but provided MU willing to break the bank

Now our only hope is Manucho quickly get his work permit sorted out....base on his performance in African cup....I think he has the potential
    At the moment, I think Fraizer is not quite ready for Man Utd but he got potential according to Fergie.

Another to added on to the injury squard:

Carrick out for two weeks
    17/08/2008 17:51

Michael Carrick will miss the next two weeks of the season after picking up an ankle injury in the 1-1 draw against Newcastle.

The midfielder, who will also sit out England's friendly with the Czech Republic on Wednesday, sustained the injury in the first half and was replaced by John O'Shea.

Ryan Giggs, one of United's most penetrative players on a frustrating opening day against the Magpies, was also forced off in the second half.

Boss Sir Alex Ferguson told Sky Sports: "Carrick has an ankle injury. It’s swollen up quite badly and he will be out for about two weeks.

"Ryan has a hamstring injury. It was disappointing to get those injuries on top of the injuries we had anyway."

United went into the game without Carlos Tevez, who is back in Argentina after a family bereavement, while Fraizer Campbell did not complete 90 minutes and Wayne Rooney looked less than 100% fit after his recent virus.

Ferguson added: "Tevez will be back next week and available for the Portsmouth match, and Rooney will be much sharper having played this game.

"I thought in the second half it started to go for him. Unfortunately Fraizer Campbell picked up a knock and he had to come off as well."

Round up by James Tuck

Ratings: United v Newcastle
    17/08/2008 18:07

ManUtd.com's Ben Hibbs assesses how United's players performed on the first day of the new 2008/09 campaign...

Edwin van der Sar – Didn’t have a great deal to do as Newcastle’s clear-cut chances were few and far between. Couldn’t do anything about the goal.

Wes Brown – A steady display from Wes. Attacked when he could but was penned back by Newcastle’s best player, Jonas Gutierrez.

Rio Ferdinand – As cool, calm and classy as always, Rio rarely looked troubled by Newcastle. His commanding play possibly should have been rewarded with a clean sheet.

Nemanja Vidic – Solid aerially and impressive overall on his 100th appearance for the Reds. His second-half tackle on Gutierrez was world class and timed to perfection.

Patrice Evra – Also making his 100th appearance. Got forward well to help United’s attack, particularly as United pressed for a second goal.

Darren Fletcher – A genuine threat from the right flank, delivered some dangerous first-half crosses and his movement and delicate finish for the goal were outstanding.

Michael Carrick – Playing a deep-lying role, didn’t really get a chance to exert himself before going off injured after 25 minutes.

Paul Scholes – Pulled the strings in midfield and got into some advanced positions. Had more shots on goal than usual and wasn’t far off with one blistering drive.

Ryan Giggs – Fit, sharp and very lively. You’d never guess he turns 35 in November. His departure due to a hamstring injury took the edge off United’s attacks.

Wayne Rooney – Not fully match sharp, but that didn’t stop him buzzing around. Energetic and creative, he worked well nurturing young Campbell. This 90 minutes can only do him good.

Fraizer Campbell – An exciting debut, Fraizer looked completely at ease at this level. His persistence and sheer pace caught Newcastle out on numerous occasions.

Substitutes

John O’Shea (on for Carrick, 25) – Taking up a defensive midfield role, O’Shea was steady and broke up some of Newcastle’s attacks.

Rodrigo Possebon (on for Giggs, 63) – Some good touches and intricate passes in central midfield. Showed plenty of promise.

Rafael (on for Campbell, 80) – On at right midfield, showed his versatility. Didn’t get many opportunities on the ball, but when he did he looked comfortable.

Round up by Ben Hibbs

Sir Alex: I've no complaints
    17/08/2008 17:44

Sir Alex Ferguson admitted he “can’t have too many complaints” after United began the season with a frustrating draw at home to Newcastle.

The Reds were missing eight first-team players as Kevin Keegan’s men stifled the Reds into an opening weekend stalemate at Old Trafford.

“I can’t have too many complaints,” Sir Alex told Sky Sports after the game. “It’s not the result we wanted. But given the changes I had to make, it’s credible. We were the better team in terms of possession and pressure, but we didn’t make it count in the second half.”

United began brightly enough, but Newcastle managed to take the lead in one of their rare genuine attempts on goal when the unmarked Obafemi Martins scored with a header on 22 minutes. Darren Fletcher’s reply came two minutes later, but the Reds couldn’t build on the Scot's equaliser.

“In the first half we played well,” added the boss. “[Shay Given] was fortunate when Fraizer Campbell’s header hit him on the head. He made three or four good saves, actually. They took the lead, but when we got the equaliser straight away I thought that would have sent us on our way.”

In the second half, however, United’s attacking intent was blunted following injuries to Michael Carrick and Ryan Giggs. Sir Alex said: “Our attacking play was good in the first half. But in the second half, having lost Michael and then Ryan to injury, we lost a bit of experience at a vital moment in the game.

“Without the proper balance to the team in terms of width, it was a struggle in the second half for us. We couldn’t break them down, although we hit the bar through Vidic, but nothing too dangerous.”

Round up by Ben Hibbs

wonderful atmosphere at the trafford...first time watching it live there...shiok
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

here are some snaps

Dancing before the game...

Crappy score line

Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn View Post
    wonderful atmosphere at the trafford...first time watching it live there...shiok
    ooo u went to OT? Wah excellent! but too bad the result was a little disappointing.

Nice pics, glad that the fans still hang Ole's banner.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Another to added on to the injury squard:

Carrick out for two weeks
    17/08/2008 17:51

Like that Man Utd's midfield gone liao lor. Ronaldo, Carrick, Hargreaves, Nani, Anderson, Park all out. What to do manz?! If things go one like that, must hope Brazil KO out of Oly and get Anderson back asap liao. This is a disaster!

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Like that Man Utd's midfield gone liao lor. Ronaldo, Carrick, Hargreaves, Nani, Anderson, Park all out. What to do manz?! If things go one like that, must hope Brazil KO out of Oly and get Anderson back asap liao. This is a disaster!
    hopefully Anderson return soon! We always start off the season with injuries Seldom have a full suqard to start off unlike other teams! Maybe thisis the reason we are able to win the title at the end of season!

Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn View Post
    here are some snaps

Dancing before the game...

Crappy score line

Nice picts!

Anymore?

The Atmosphere must be electrifiying!

Let me join United

Dimitar Berbatov has pleaded with Tottenham to let him join Manchester United. Spurs are demanding £30million for Berba, who slapped in a transfer request on Friday. But United will go no higher than £25m. Berbatov said: "I'm now in Tottenham but no one can disagree with me wanting to follow my dream." Berba’s agent Emil Dantchev added: “We have two weeks until the end of the transfer window. I think this will be the most important week."
    Steve Brenner, The Sun

The Sun says there will be an extra urgency in Sir Alex's search for a new striker after the stalemate against Newcastle. "Alex, panic? Ferg-et about it" adds the paper. Translated: Sir Alex is refusing to panic after "misfiring Manchester United limped to a sorry 1-1 draw with Newcastle". Read more from the boss in Football News.

The Daily Mail says a "Blunt United were held by a show of attacking courage" from Newcastle.

Luiz Felipe Scolari says United will not be scared, according to the Guardian. "It was the perfect start and more than I expected," said the Chelsea boss. "But we'll need more quality in the future if we want to be champions. We'll need more than this."
    Round up by Ben Hibbs
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Nice picts!

Anymore?

The Atmosphere must be electrifiying!
    world best experience to me. Lotsa ppl, fans, chants, singing, cheers. ...electrifying.

hopefully Anderson return soon! We always start off the season with injuries Seldom have a full suqard to start off unlike other teams! Maybe thisis the reason we are able to win the title at the end of season!
    He coming back! Brazil kenna whack by arch rivials Argie! Hope its asap as midfield really stretched to limit. Giggs and Scholes old liao, can't run too much.

I think even if Berba joins now also not much use. Midfield is weak, can't support him also. Think Nani is still suspended for another game. Hopefully Carrick and Hargreaves can recover soon.

Man Utd really v jialat now, injury crisis.....

He coming back! Brazil kenna whack by arch rivials Argie! Hope its asap as midfield really stretched to limit. Giggs and Scholes old liao, can't run too much.
    Wah sei...Brazil kena trash 4-0 reduce to 9 man! But they got the bronze medal to play for before Anderson is able to come to our rescue!

If the two old man field together our engine will slow down! Kena run riots!

I think even if Berba joins now also not much use. Midfield is weak, can't support him also. Think Nani is still suspended for another game. Hopefully Carrick and Hargreaves can recover soon.
    cant help much now but he is much needed down the road esp later part of the season when our games get tighter!Now just got to make do with what we have!

Last season i was thinking our midfield is getting over crowded but now ........

Papers: Silvestre to Arsenal?

Arsenal are taking the Mik
    Arsene Wenger has hijacked Manchester City’s bid to sign Mikael Silvestre. The Manchester United defender, 31, was undergoing a medical at neighbours City when he got a call telling him Arsenal were interested. Silvestre immediately abandoned the medical and hurtled down the M1 to meet Gunners boss Wenger and discuss terms. An Arsenal insider confirmed: “Arsene has been looking for experienced cover for Gael Clichy and he knows all about Mikael. Arsene has followed his career and the fact he is French is a bonus.” The France left-back, who joined United from Inter for £4m in 1999, made six appearances last season and was granted a free transfer this summer.
    Antony Kastrinakas, The Sun

Correction: We should point out that, contrary to The Sun's story, Mikael Silvestre has not been granted a free transfer. He still has one year remaining on his current contract.

Silvestre's fellow United debutant in 1999, former goalkeeper Massimo Taibi, has been named in an all-time Premier League worst XI (The Sun, Daily Mirror). Three other ex-Reds were selected by the Top-up TV survey - Eric Djemba-Djemba, Luke Chadwick and Diego Forlan. Wigan defender Titus Bramble received the most votes apparently.

The Sun suggests Anderson could make an SOS return to United's midfield for Monday's match at Portsmouth, now that Brazil are only playing for a bronze medal at the Olympics.

Round up by Adam Bostock

Dun think we should be selling anyone now!

Reds on duty

He may not be the new England captain but Rio Ferdinand will still line up for his country tonight as Fabio Capello’s side host Czech Republic at Wembley (20:00 BST).

John Terry was handed the armband yesterday, while Ferdinand was given the vice-captain role ahead of England’s 2012 World Cup qualifying campaign.

Tonight’s friendly against Czech Republic should also see Wayne Rooney start up front, while Wes Brown will vie with Portsmouth’s Glen Johnson for the right back berth.

Elsewhere, Darren Fletcher will line up for Scotland against a Northern Ireland side that could contain his Reds’ team-mate Jonny Evans. That game kicks off at 20:00 BST at Hampden Park.

John O’Shea will play for the Republic of Ireland in Norway tonight (18:00 BST), while Patrice Evra also travels to Scandinavia as France play Sweden in Gothenburg (20:00 BST).

Nani will no doubt be looking forward to terrorising the Faroe Island defence (20:45 BST) at the Aveiro Stadium, while Carlos Tevez has flown to Minsk with the Argentina squad for their match against Belarus (18:00 BST) after missing United’s first fixture of the season due to a family bereavement.
    Hope we will not have any more injuries!

thats why the more reason SAF need to realise that we need an all-out opportunist finisher who can put in goals with just a couple of chances!
    Photo Album - Photo Album