Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6111415161718212641 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Default Re: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

September start for new no. 2?
    06/08/2008 08:00

Sir Alex Ferguson suggests United will find a new assistant manager "quicker than normal" as he prepares to start 2008/09 without a definite right-hand man.

Numerous coaches have been linked with the post since Carlos Queiroz departed to become Portugal boss in July, but the situation remains vacant - at least for August.

"We're no closer to finding an assistant manager," said Sir Alex, who earlier this week appointed Eric Steele as his new goalkeeping coach.

"It's always hard to replace good men and we're taking our time with it. We have good coaches here and there isn't a lot of decision making to do at the moment anyway.

"However, I think in this situation it (the appointment) will maybe be a bit quicker than normal. I would hope to have someone in by the end of September."

Sir Alex was flanked by two coaches - Mike Phelan and Rene Meulensteen - at Monday night's friendly in Peterborough. Both men have been mentioned in press speculation about the job, while external names linked with the post include current Spurs coach Gus Poyet, ex-Reds defender Laurent Blanc and Danish legend Michael Laudrup.

"We're looking for a particular type of person to assist me in certain ways," said Sir Alex.

The United manager denied it's a must to replace Queiroz with another Portuguese speaker, despite the contingent of players from Brazil, Portugal and Angola in his first-team squad.

"Languages is possibly a box we have to tick, but it's not a prerequisite," he added.

Round up by Adam Bostock

Juve Classics: 1997

A year after being soundly beaten by Juventus home and away, United were bristling with intent when the European masters returned to Old Trafford in October 1997.

The electricity which filled the autumnal air wavered briefly when Alessandro del Piero tore up the script almost immediately, cleverly putting Juve ahead after just 13 seconds, but once ahead, the Italians quickly opted to sit back. Big mistake.

United pummelled their illustrious visitors, with Teddy Sheringham calling the tune on his Champions League debut. The summer arrival from Spurs cleverly set up Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for an effort which Angelo Perruzi did well to block, and then had a goal disallowed after he deflected in Ryan Giggs’ shot from an offside position.

The crowd could sense that Juve were on the ropes, and a growing buzz peaked into a thunderous roar when Sheringham headed United level seven minutes before half-time. Giggs crossed from the left, and the England striker headed down, past Peruzzi and between a host of backtracking Juve defenders. Back on level terms with the mighty Juventus, a mental hurdle had been cleared.

After the interval United continued to call the tune, but without forcing as many chances. The rattled visitors upped their robust approach, with Uruguayan Paolo Montero a serial offender, but the gameplan backfired when Didier Deschamps earned two yellow cards and an early bath.

It wasn’t long before United took full advantage. Only four minutes later, Ronny Johnsen flicked a half-cleared corner back into the penalty area. Paul Scholes collected the ball, shielded away Mark Iuliano’s attempts to clear, rounded Peruzzi and slotted into the empty net. The roar that greeted Sheringham’s goal suddenly seemed like a timid yelp in comparison to the baying din that now gripped Old Trafford.

Whereas Juve sought to protect their advantage in the game’s infancy, United aimed to take full advantage of having a stranglehold on the scoreline, and wrapped up the victory in the 89th minute through a stunning goal from Giggs.

Again Sheringham was involved, sliding an inch-perfect pass infield from the left touchline. Giggs raced onto it, jinked his way into the area and drilled a fierce shot into Peruzzi’s near top corner.

Although Zinedine Zidane pulled an injury-time goal back with a stunningly simple free-kick, United held on to notch the victory that showed they could hold their own at Europe’s top table.

Juve Classics: 1999
    United's come-from-behind victory in Turin remains arguably the Reds' finest ever European away performance, possibly even the best by a British team on foreign soil.

Ryan Giggs' last-gasp equaliser at Old Trafford a fortnight earlier had ensured a 1-1 aggregate parity going into the second leg in the Stadio Delle Alpi. Against a side bidding to reach a fourth straight Champions League final, the last thing the Reds needed was to concede early - so to do it twice constituted a major problem.

Filippo Inzaghi was on hand to tap in when Zinedine Zidane caught the visitors cold with a quickly-taken corner, and fortune seemingly favoured the Bianconeri when Inzaghi struck again five minutes later, looping an effort over Peter Schmeichel via a huge deflection off Jaap Stam.

Two down inside 11 minutes and requiring at least two goals against the masters of pragmatic football, United would have appeared dead and buried in the eyes of many. The atmosphere among the travelling Reds contingent was one of an unlikely calm, however, which was in keeping with the cool exuding from those on the field.

United had actually called the tune in terms of possession, and looked well on top aside from Inzaghi's double strike. Roy Keane was pulling all the strings in midfield, hassling Zidane and Edgar Davids into submission, and after 24 minutes he glanced home the all-important goal which halved the arrears and set the home nerves jangling.

From then on, there was only one winner. Just after the half-hour mark, Gary Neville pumped the ball forward for Beckham, who nodded down for Cole. He took a touch and clipped in a perfect cross for Yorke, whose diving header silenced the entire stadium, bar the writhing, jubilant United contingent to the right of the goal.

Moments later, Yorke smashed a low effort against the post as United's tide of pressure threatened to engulf the staggering Old Lady. Half-time came at the wrong time for United, who had to withstand a little more pressure after the interval. Inzaghi had a hat-trick goal chalked off, having been way offside, before Denis Irwin struck a low shot against the inside of Peruzzi's post.

In true, 1999 vintage style, the Reds kept pushing for a killer goal and it duly came six minutes from full-time. It was hardly the prettiest - Schmeichel's long punt, Ferrara's poor clearance, Yorke's dribble through two defenders, Peruzzi's shameless haul down, Cole's rebound tap-in - but the goal sent United fans, players and staff wild.

At the final whistle, United's players were applauded off the field by Juventus fans, an act of generosity rarely lavished on any team. Having shown the guts, guile and mental fortitude to overcome Juve on their own patch, United were absolutely worthy recipients.

Juve Classics: 2003
    04/08/2008 13:14, Report by Steve Bartram

It's hard to conceive now but, for a very brief time in epic his Old Trafford career, Ryan Giggs had to win over a small section of United fans. Typically, he did so in style. Unfortunately for Juventus, they were the recipients.

After suffering a negative reaction from some supporters during the League Cup semi-final against Blackburn Rovers weeks earlier, Giggs clearly had a point to prove when he replaced the injured Diego Forlan in Turin.

With three wins from three group games, United's qualification was virtually assured already. There was no way Giggsy was going to pass up such an opportunity to showcase his talents, however, and he quickly set about overturning the Old Lady in her own back yard.

The winger had only been on the field for seven minutes when Gianluca Zambrotta slipped on the ball in his own area, allowing Juan Veron to feed Giggs just outside the six-yard box. The Welshman controlled the ball and, despite a cluster of players around him, calmly side-footed a shot past Gianluigi Buffon and into the corner of the net.

United's defence, marshalled brilliantly by makeshift centre-back Roy Keane, withstood plenty of Juve pressure, before Giggs struck again four minutes before half-time. Having intercepted a crossfield pass to Lilian Thuram on the halfway line, Giggs raced goalwards, outpaced three defenders and slipped a right-footed shot inside Buffon's far post.

The celebration spoke volumes. For the only time, Giggs pointed to the name on his shirt as if to remind fans of who he was, and the respect he deserved, before being mobbed by joyous team-mates.

After the interval Juve offered little threat, and it was United who continued to call the tune. Igor Tudor's ridiculous attempt to cushion a cross back to Buffon struck his own upright, and Ruud van Nistelrooy - who had replaced substitute Giggs after 48 minutes - tapped in the rebound.

With the victory assured, even Gary Neville was moved to try an exquisite 20-yard chip, only for his graceful effort to clip the top of the crossbar and bounce out for a goal kick.

United saw out the remainder of the game in total comfort, while the Bianconeri licked their wounds and waited for the final whistle. When it came, United were through to the knockout stages with two games to spare, and Giggs had made his point emphatically.

12 more hours to go( 070808 3am) will we score our 4th consecutive win over juve the first 2 is a 3-2 win n last being a 3-0 win... will we be unbeaten?

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Oh the twins arrived liao? Lol time really flies! I remember reading that Man Utd signed them when they are 16 but too young to move to England. Have to wait till 18.

Dunno if they will have work permit issues or not. Liv got 1 player kenna denyed a work permit.
    I think they should not have problem!

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    12 more hours to go( 070808 3am) will we score our 4th consecutive win over juve the first 2 is a 3-2 win n last being a 3-0 win... will we be unbeaten?
    The friendly with Juv isn't so impt. The charity shield and opening game more impt and Man Utd got lots of injury problems.

Rooney and Carrick out due to virus.
    Hargreaves and Park out due to knee
    Ronaldo out due to ankle
    Nani suspended
    Anderson in china
    Saha forever out.

No one to partner Tevez if no strikers joining. Have to use reserves. Midfield have to rely on Fletcher, O, Shea and Scholes. Wingers left Giggs. Only the defence seem healthy.

8 senior players out and it is a massive blow. At the moment, I think it is crucial that Fergie sign a striker. If youngster Campbell misfires, then its very tough. Amoung the 3; Campbell, Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverley, I think Campbell will get to have a chance at 1st team action 1st.

The friendly with Juv isn't so impt. The charity shield and opening game more impt and Man Utd got lots of injury problems.

Rooney and Carrick out due to virus.
    Hargreaves and Park out due to knee
    Ronaldo out due to ankle
    Nani suspended
    Anderson in china
    Saha forever out.

No one to partner Tevez if no strikers joining. Have to use reserves. Midfield have to rely on Fletcher, O, Shea and Scholes. Wingers left Giggs. Only the defence seem healthy.

8 senior players out and it is a massive blow. At the moment, I think it is crucial that Fergie sign a striker. If youngster Campbell misfires, then its very tough. Amoung the 3; Campbell, Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverley, I think Campbell will get to have a chance at 1st team action 1st.
    I think if Portsmouth wans the charity shield can give it to them.... i think its time to expose the youngster for the last friendly n charity shield can be use to fine tune them if the seniors couldn't come back on time.
    Last edited by melvin; 6th August 2008 at 11:22 PM.

Ronaldo remains a Red
    06/08/2008 22:04

Cristiano Ronaldo is going nowhere.

After a summer rife with rumours of an Old Trafford exit, the Reds’ no.7 revealed on Wednesday night that he will be a Manchester United player in 2008/09.

“I can confirm that next season I will play for Manchester United,” Ronaldo told Portugal newspaper Publico.

“I will play for United with all my heart and soul, I will fight and honour that shirt with the same commitment and dedication as [I’ve] always [shown].”

His comments were welcomed by Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson, who was relieved the matter can finally be “put to bed”.

“We always knew this was the case,” Sir Alex told MUTV. “He’s very happy here – he’s always been happy here.

“He’s never had a complaint about Manchester United. He’s always been treated properly and I have a great relationship with the boy, as do all the players.

“I think we can put this to bed now. It’s finished. The boy’s a United player and that’s what’s important.”

Ronaldo’s refusal to commit himself to United earlier in the summer disappointed some Reds fans, but Ferguson insists supporters shouldn’t be too hard on the 23-year-old.

“The fans have got to understand it’s very hard when a young boy’s tempted by all this money,” he said.

“He’s a young lad from Madeira and his father died a young man. Cristiano now looks after his mother, sister and his brother, so I can understand that [money may have been tempting].”

In a sign of real maturity, Ronaldo accepted blame for his part in world football’s biggest transfer saga of the summer.

“I was responsible for all this controversy,” he said. “I was the one who publicly expressed my desire to go to Madrid and I ended up even being involuntarily responsible for the poor relationship between the two clubs.”

Round up by Nick Coppack

Sir Alex has striker concern
    07/08/2008 08:40

Sir Alex Ferguson has conceded that he is concerned by United's dearth of fit and available strikers.

Currently, Carlos Tevez is the Reds' only established striker. Wayne Rooney has been laid low with a virus and Louis Saha is yet to play a part in pre-season for United.

In the last four pre-season matches Sir Alex has used Carlos Tevez with either Ryan Giggs or Fraizer Campbell up front.

Campbell has shown plenty of promise this summer, and indeed last season on loan at Hull City, while Ryan Giggs has experience playing the forward role. But the situation up front remains far from ideal.

"It is a concern," the boss said. "Wayne will probably miss the start of the season and Louis Saha’s future is undecided at the moment. It's left us a little short up front."

United failed to score against Juventus on Wednesday, but the Reds have scored 13 goals in eight games in pre-season and Sir Alex remains confident that the goals will come when the title defence kicks off against Newcastle on Sunday 17 August.

He said: "I’m sure we’ll find the goals at the start of the season though - our play is good enough."

Round up by Ben Hibbs

Sir Alex has striker concern
    07/08/2008 08:40

Ya I feel he should buy 1 and sell Saha and then give Campbell a chance. Spurs is really screwing themselves and Man Utd regarding Berbatov. Fergie should just switch to other targets.

Ya I feel he should buy 1 and sell Saha and then give Campbell a chance. Spurs is really screwing themselves and Man Utd regarding Berbatov. Fergie should just switch to other targets.
    ya and we struggle 0-0 against juve!

Our Dong just score last night to save china from an opening defeat! Wonder will he be available this season!

Hi guys

come join us in Xpert 11 a game to pit ur management skills

All is being explain here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402487

Hope to see more people join us!

Bro afbug come join la... on?

ya and we struggle 0-0 against juve!

Our Dong just score last night to save china from an opening defeat! Wonder will he be available this season!
    haha Ah Dong still sharp. He is avaliable but it seems like he is unable to click with the team on the pitch. When its time to make runs, he din. When he runs, no one pass to him. Their timing with him is like super off. Like that dun think Fergie will select him.

Hi guys

come join us in Xpert 11 a game to pit ur management skills

All is being explain here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402487

Hope to see more people join us!

Bro afbug come join la... on?
    Sure or not. Wait I join you all kenna trash jialat jialat.

haha Ah Dong still sharp. He is avaliable but it seems like he is unable to click with the team on the pitch. When its time to make runs, he din. When he runs, no one pass to him. Their timing with him is like super off. Like that dun think Fergie will select him.
    he cant gel into the team, like he more of commercial to break into china market!

Sure or not. Wait I join you all kenna trash jialat jialat.
    No lah...wun tio trash one la... as long as u dun like cheesecake during away games play very offensive confirm buang he have already demo liao....play normal should be no problem its all about tactics n team selection.

he cant gel into the team, like he more of commercial to break into china market!
    I think he has the talent to partner Rooney or Tevez leh but lack the understanding with teammates.

Not too sure about his finishing at the top level but he got upper body strength and pace, like Rooney. Both are similar in body size/shape.

In the article below, Fergie said:

Saha has also been linked with a move away from Old Trafford but Ferguson says the French striker still has a future at the club.

"You don't want to give up on people like that just because they have had a few injuries," added Ferguson.

"When he is fit, Louis is an explosive player who will guarantee 20 goals a season.

Knn what a stunner! I also know a fit Saha is an excellent striker but then, when is he fit?

Ferguson keen to sign new striker

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson hopes to sign a new striker before the start of the Premier League season next week.

"We are looking at three or four different options in the striking department which I hope will come to a happy conclusion," said Ferguson.

"Hopefully we will have someone in for the start of the season."

Tottenham forward Dimitar Berbatov is believed to be on Ferguson's shortlist of potential signings.

Valencia's David Villa, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar of Ajax, Lyon's Karim Benzema and Blackburn's Roque Santa Cruz have also been linked with United this summer.
    Last edited by afbug; 10th August 2008 at 05:17 AM.

Report: United 0 Pompey 0
    10/08/2008 17:00

United lifted the Community Shield for a record-extending 13th time, after overcoming Portsmouth in a penalty shootout at Wembley Stadium.

The Reds dominated for long spells against Harry Redknapp's side, but found themselves frustrated by another superb display from Pompey goalkeeper David James, who made fine second-half saves from Darren Fletcher and Carlos Tevez.

The England international was unable to extend his heroics into the shootout, however, as Tevez, Ryan Giggs and Michael Carrick all found the net, while Pompey missed three of their four kicks.

In normal time, the only clear opening of the first 45 minutes fell to Fletcher after Nani superbly robbed Glenn Johnson and crossed into the box. In sliding to reach the ball, Fletcher ended up stubbing his effort into the ground and effectively blocking his own shot.

United's dominance continued in the second period, with James called upon to superbly tip Fletcher's chip onto the crossbar and then clutch the rebound gratefully as Tevez managed to head an effort goalwards.

James made another stunning fingertip save to turn a Tevez effort wide of his right-hand post shortly afterwards, before Jermain Defoe burst through on goal in a rare Pompey attack, only to be denied by fine tracking back from Vidic.

With 15 minutes remaining, United should have been handed the chance to win the game from the spot when Hermann Hreidarsson inexplicably held onto Tevez's leg inside the area, but referee Peter Walton saw no wrong.

Although John Utaka notched Pompey's first shot on target - after 77 minutes - the pressure was still all United's. Substitute Fraizer Campbell fashioned space for himself but fired over the bar, and the Reds kept pressing until the very end.

Penalties were required though and, having triumphed against Chelsea in last year's Shield and the Champions League final, United had every cause to be confident. Serial spot-kick hero Edwin van der Sar was only required to make one save - from Arnold Mvuemba - as Lassana Diarra and Glenn Johnson both blazed their kicks over.

Johnson's effort sealed a 13th outright Community Shield triumph for the Reds - as well as five shared Shields - and ensured a silver-lined start to the 2008/09 season.

The teams

Manchester United: Van der Sar; Neville (Brown 67), Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra; Fletcher, O'Shea (Carrick 67), Scholes, Nani (Campbell 79); Giggs, Tevez.
    Subs not used: Kuszczak, J Evans, Possebon, R da Silva.
    Booked: Vidic, Neville

Portsmouth: James; Johnson, Campbell, Distin, Hreidarsson (Lauren 80); Diop, Mendes (Mvuemba 76), Diarra, Kranjcar (Utaka 60); Crouch, Defoe.
    Subs not used: Ashdown, Sahar, Cranie, Traore.
    Booked: Distin

Round up by Steve Bartram