Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5101314151617202540 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Default Re: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Got telecast?
    Report: United 1 Espanyol 0
    02/08/2008 17:10

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer played 25 minutes in his testimonial, as United beat Spanish side Espanyol 1-0 thanks to a goal from Fraizer Campbell.

That the youngster left it until the 82nd minute to seal the victory was ironic given Solskjaer’s penchant for late winners, as was the calm Campbell exuded in dinking the ball over goalkeeper Alvarez Cristian.

Ole, now 35, looked sharp during his time on the pitch and you can’t help but wonder what role he would have played in the 2008 European Cup final had injury not forced him to retire in August 2007. Against Espanyol he proved he still has the smarts to play at the top level.

Of course, the score on Saturday was always going to take a backseat to Solskjaer on his special day. The Norwegian, who scored 126 goals during his Old Trafford career, emerged last out of the tunnel to walk with his children through a guard of honour formed by the two teams.

Presentations of gifts followed before the match kicked off, the Reds attacking the Scoreboard End. Solskjaer didn’t start – instead he would come off the bench, as he did 150 times for United.

The match began at a sharp pace, with Espanyol winning two quick corners before the Reds clicked into gear. Carlos Tevez was his usual busy self, harrying defenders at any opportunity and keen to get touches on the ball. Nani, making his first pre-season appearance, almost sent the Argentine clear on 14 minutes with a delightful clip over the Espanyol defence.

Nani should have opened the scoring five minutes later when Paul Scholes’ cheeky chip bounced off the post and into his path. He only needed to hit the target, but pulled his shot wide of the right-hand upright. Fletcher and Tevez were similarly wayward shortly afterwards, before Espanyol had their captain, Daniel Jarque, to thank for keeping scores level.

Jarque slid in to block Scholes’ shot on the line after a wonderful, flowing move that began with Tevez skipping past Ivan de la Pena just inside the visitors’ half. In fact, Tevez was the star of the first 45 minutes and Espanyol struggled to come to grips with his speed and strength.

After the break, Nemanja Vidic headed wide from close range, but it was the Spanish side who soon set the tempo. Manager Bartolome Marquez rung the changes at half-time and it was a new-look Espanyol who emerged for the second period.

Sir Alex, too, reshuffled his deck, bringing on Tomasz Kuszczak, Wes Brown, Mikael Silvestre and Fraizer Campbell at the interval.

But it was the substitution made in the 68th minute that really brought Old Trafford to its feet. After a brief warm-up on the south touchline, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer entered the fray to a rapturous standing ovation. His first touch was met with resounding cheers, a trend that continued until the final whistle.

He may have lost a little pace since his retirement, but Ole’s footballing brain is as sharp as ever. He very rarely lost possession and made intelligent runs in search of the ball.

In a two-minute spell just after his convincingly. Two chances, two shots on target: it summed up Solskjaer perfectly.

When the fourth official held up his board indicating three minutes of added time, you couldn’t help but cast your mind back to that memorable night at the Nou Camp in May 1999. This time, however, there were no injury-time heroics, just a cacophonous appreciation for one of the greatest men to ever pull on a United shirt.

Attendance: 68,868

United: Van der Sar (Kuszczak 46); Simpson, Ferdinand (Brown 46), Vidic (Evans 62), Evra (Silvestre 46); Gibson (O’Shea 62), Fletcher, Scholes, Nani (Campbell 46); Giggs, Tevez (Solskjaer 68)

Booked: Tevez, Scholes

Round up by Nick Coppack
    Solskjaer is still as sharp!

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Report: United 1 Espanyol 0
    02/08/2008 17:10

Solskjaer is still as sharp!
    But his knee CMI liao. Yeah if he came on as a sub during that CL final against Chelsea, he might get a goal. Chances very high.

But his knee CMI liao. Yeah if he came on as a sub during that CL final against Chelsea, he might get a goal. Chances very high.
    Yah, Ole is e super sub.

So is Fergie still getting a striker? After glassman Saha, only left 2 establish strikers in Rooney and Tevez. Manucho is arriving but dunno when and 3 young strikers waiting in the reserves plus ah Dong.

Ferguson to give Campbell chance

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is set to give youngster Fraizer Campbell a Premier League chance because he is short of strikers.

Campbell, 20, scored the winner against Espanyol in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's testimonial at Old Trafford.

"We do not have any strikers apart from Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez and Frazier plays in that area.

"He is quick and determined and he can do very well in the game. Fraizer's future is here," said Ferguson.

Campbell played a major role in Hull's promotion to the Premier League last season and Tigers coach Phil Brown had hoped the striker would return to the KC Stadium this season.

"Fraizer Campbell has taken his goal very well and it won't do him any harm. He's an aggressive young player," said Ferguson, who has been linked with potential moves for Tottenham's Dimitar Berbatov and Blackburn's Roque Santa Cruz.

"We are also hoping to apply for a work permit for Manucho, who comes from Angola. That will give us more back-up..

So is Fergie still getting a striker? After glassman Saha, only left 2 establish strikers in Rooney and Tevez. Manucho is arriving but dunno when and 3 young strikers waiting in the reserves plus ah Dong.

Ferguson to give Campbell chance

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is set to give youngster Fraizer Campbell a Premier League chance because he is short of strikers.

Campbell, 20, scored the winner against Espanyol in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's testimonial at Old Trafford.

"We do not have any strikers apart from Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez and Frazier plays in that area.

"He is quick and determined and he can do very well in the game. Fraizer's future is here," said Ferguson.

Campbell played a major role in Hull's promotion to the Premier League last season and Tigers coach Phil Brown had hoped the striker would return to the KC Stadium this season.

"Fraizer Campbell has taken his goal very well and it won't do him any harm. He's an aggressive young player," said Ferguson, who has been linked with potential moves for Tottenham's Dimitar Berbatov and Blackburn's Roque Santa Cruz.

"We are also hoping to apply for a work permit for Manucho, who comes from Angola. That will give us more back-up..
    Its about time to unveal him ......the deal on Berbatov seems to have slow down! Yeah man...do agreed we really shortage of strikers!

Ole's OT address
    02/08/2008 20:12

When the final whistle blew at Old Trafford on Saturday, an emotional Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took to the microphone to address Manchester United fans.

This is the full transcript of what he had to say:

“Thank you, thanks. I’ve had more than a year to think about this and it’s not getting any easier.

“I knew this was going to be my last game at Old Trafford and today you’ve been absolutely fantastic again. You’re the best supporters in the world.

“I’d like to thank Espanyol, who came over here and made a good game out of it. It was a good run-out for our boys.

"It’s a very important season for us and it was important that they got a good game.

“Next, I’d like to thank the manager. He’s been absolutely fantastic with me.

"He has guided me through my career – I’ve had my highs, I’ve also had my lows, and he supported me very well through that time.

"I can’t thank him enough. I’m going into coaching and if I haven’t learnt from him than I can’t do coaching. So thank you, boss.

“The players… I’ve played with the best players in the world. It’s easy being a forward when you play with these players. They create chances for you – you miss one, you get another one.

"I can’t say thanks enough to them – they’ve made every minute here a special one for me. And the last 25 here, I’ll remember for the rest of my life.

"It’s something my family, myself and all my friends will remember. It’s been a special day.

"Thanks to all the staff who have supported me, who have helped me through dark periods. Most of all to the supporters – you’ve been absolutely fantastic, you kept me going.

"And I’ve got the three loveliest kids in the world and a lovely wife. I’d like to thank them as well.

"Thanks, thank you very much.”

Round up by Nick Coppack

THANK U Ole Gunnar Solskjaer !!! For the wonderful memories, wonderful goals, THANK U FOR ALL!!! THANK U BABBY FACE ASSASIN!!!

Testimonial timeline
    02/08/2008 17:40

ManUtd.com's Steve Bartram brings you the sight and sounds of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's testimonial against Espanyol...

2:30 - A huge crowd is packed inside Old Trafford, and they make a hell of a noise when Ole leads out United for the warm up. The warm up is soundtracked by Elvis Presley's Suspicious Minds, Like A Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan, and Guns n' Roses' Paradise City - all songs chosen in advance by Ole, all cranked up to 11 on the Old Trafford sound system.

2:40 - Eamonn Holmes and Peter Schmeichel take to the turf for an interview. Ole races over to Schmeichel for a quick chat. Before rejoining the warm-up, however, he seems to take a mischievous dig at the big Dane by pointing to his greying sideburns. Big Pete then talks the building crowd through his career alongside Ole and, inevitably, the 1999 Champions League winner. “I didn’t see it coming,” he understates.

2:47 - Stadium announcer Alan Keegan proceeds to warm up the crowd, asking for noise from each stand in turn. Each group complies, before joining forces for a rousing rendition of ‘Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole…’

2:55 – The teams walk out onto the Old Trafford pitch, forming a guard of honour. A huge cheer builds as the Norwegian emerges from the tunnel holding the Champions League trophy. Either side of him, son Noah and daughter Karna carry pennants for the captains to exchange, while behind him the North Stand holds a mosaic saying '20Legend'.

2:56 - The Solskjaer family have a photoshoot to attend, first in front of both teams with the trophy, then just with the United line-up. Alan Keegan reads out the two teams - guess whose name gets the biggest cheer of the lot.

3:02 - A somewhat sheepish Ole hotfoots it to the bench, clearly not totally comfortable with being the man of the hour, before Espanyol kick off to get us underway.

3:05 – A special occasion? In Manchester? Farewell blue skies, here comes the rain. Not in the same Biblical proportions as we saw in Moscow, but still enough to get the players irritatingly damp.

3:21 – The first meaningful match action sees Paul Scholes clip a delightful 20-yard chip against Alvarez Cristian’s post, before Nani pulls the rebound wide of the same upright.

3:35 – It’s a carnival atmosphere, but there appears to be a clown on the loose from a local circus. Ryan Giggs overhits a pass to Tevez, and Espanyol keeper Cristian attempts some carefree trickery with the loose ball, loses track of it, kicks it against himself and concedes a corner. Textbook capering.

3:52 - At half-time Old Trafford is treated to a live rendition of Barcelona, sung by a very talented young duo called Jonathan Ansell and Saraya Mafi. The pair look dapper, putting Alan Keegan's sharp grey suit in the shade, and prompt a great reception from the crowd upon completion of their performance.

3:57 - That's eclipsed however, when Eamonn Holmes retakes the field and introduces Teddy Sheringham, to a rapturous response. When asked about his own Champions League final goal, Teddy claims: "Giggsy had a shot from the edge of the box with his right foot, so I knew he had no chance of scoring, and I was there to tap it in."

4:05 - The teams retake the field, and United get the game underway again.

4:24 - Ole warmed up as a substitute a fair few times during his Old Trafford career, but he surely never earned such a rapturous reception as on this occasion - warm applause from all over the ground, widespread chanting and a standing ovation from the South Stand.

4:28 - Each and every person - bar one or two duty-bound by a code of impartiality within the press box - inside Old Trafford gets to their feet as Ole replaces Carlos Tevez. He's straight into the action, pinging a 50-yard pass to Ryan Giggs. It arcs away at the last minute and goes through to the keeper, prompting a couple of mock boos from the crowd.

4:30 - For someone who hasn't played since May 2007, Ole looks really sharp. His clever flicked pass for John O'Shea looks set to put the Irishman through, but it's deflected away and the chance is cleared.

4:37 - Fraizer Campbell is brought down on the edge of the area for a free-kick. The crowd wants Ole to take it. The players want Ole to take it. He does, but it hits the wall. Campbell then wins the ball back and crosses for Giggs, who nods to Ole. One touch, bang. A stunning shot is heading for the top corner until a brilliant fingertip save from Cristian. He gets a high-five from Ole, but quickly becomes the panto villain when he saves another powerful Solskjaer shot a minute later.

4:41 - Alan Keegan reads out the attendance - a whopping 68,868 - but Ole doesn't seem to notice. He's busy giving Fraizer Campbell a pep talk about movement, complete with sharp arm gestures to show his young colleague where he should go.

4:43 - Campbell's a fast learner. Coming in from where Ole was pointing just two minutes earlier, Fraizer darts in between defenders to reach Giggs' through-ball. Rather than look for Ole, he lifts a lovely finish over the keeper to put United ahead.

4:48 - Referee Hauge penalises Ole for handball. A chorus of boos ring around Old Trafford like thunder. At least the rain has stopped, although it's gone into that muggy kind of atmosphere you only get in a Manchester summer.

4:54 - The final whistle sounds. No fairytale goal for Ole, but he's quickly swamped by players from both sides, and gets another standing ovation from the crowd. Alan Keegan introduces celebrity Red Jimmy Nesbitt, who takes to what he calls "the most precious bit of grass in the world," before introducing Ole for his speech.

4:55 - With 20Legend emblazoned across Old Trafford's digiboards, Ole thanks everybody he can - the players, the manager, Espanyol, United's staff, and he saves special thanks for the fans - "the best supporters in the world, you've been fantastic" - and his family.

4:59 - With that, Ole is joined again by Noah and Karna, as well as newborn baby boy Elijah, before embarking on a Solskjaer family lap of the Old Trafford pitch. You know how there are always some people who leave before the end of matches? None of them came today. Everybody stays to applaud, and Ole warmly returns their applause.

5:03 - United's players form another guard of honour in front of the tunnel, and Alan Keegan encourages the crowd to again salute 'number 20, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer', before the Norwegian disappears down the tunnel. Out of sight, but not out of mind as the singing continues in salute of a true United legend.

Round up by Steve Bartram
    What an atmosphere! Hail the Legend!

Peterborough V UNITED tomorrow morning 2.45am.

Testimonial timeline
    02/08/2008 17:40

What an atmosphere! Hail the Legend!
    Wah wished I was there. Really sad Ole had to retire. Simply 1 of the best buy of Fergie's career.

Ole's OT address
    02/08/2008 20:12

THANK U Ole Gunnar Solskjaer !!! For the wonderful memories, wonderful goals, THANK U FOR ALL!!! THANK U BABBY FACE ASSASIN!!!

No one will forget his exploits, not even rivial fans, especially that CL goal and his 10min 4 goal blitz against Notts Forest. There isn't any player quite like him till now. A skillful finisher that guarantees you a goal when he comes on as a sub and his willing to be a sub for most of his Man Utd career. Extinct liao this type of player.

Thanks to Ole for all his contributions. Simply the best!

BTW, dun quite understand why Fergie Simpson to go on loan. Maybe its EPL team thats why. Means that he will either keep Silvestre or buy a new fullback.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...rs/7541677.stm

Blackburn Rovers have captured defender Danny Simpson from Manchester United on a season-long loan.

The 21-year-old right-back made eight first-team appearances for Sir Alex Ferguson's side last season.

Simpson has had loan spells with Sunderland, Ipswich and Belgian outfit Royal Antwerp in the past.

He becomes Paul Ince's third signing since his appointment at Ewood Park, following Chilean Carlos Villanueva and England keeper Paul Robinson.

Report: Peterboro 0 United 2
    04/08/2008 21:43

Sir Alex Ferguson's men go into Wednesday's friendly against Juventus still unbeaten in pre-season, despite a decent test against a Peterborough side managed by his son Darren.

Darron Gibson's glorious second-half strike, added to a first-half owngoal by Peterborough right-back Russell Martin, saw United win their first away match on English soil since that momentous May day in Wigan.

Irish midfielder Gibson had been on the field for less than a minute as United's eighth and final substitute when he brought down Lee Martin's flicked pass with his right foot and crashed home an unstoppable half-volley with his left boot from 30 yards out.

That wonderful moment in the 68th minute brought a big grin to the face of Sir Alex but there was plenty for the Reds boss to smile about throughout the evening, not least the first appearances of his new full-backs, Brazilian twins Rafael and Fabio Da Silva.

Rafael played the full 90 minutes at right-back and was joined in the team for the second half by brother Fabio at left-back. United finished the match with three Brazilians on the London Road pitch, following Rodrigo Possebon's entrance just before the hour.

The Reds made numerous changes at half-time, having taken the lead a few minutes earlier when Russell Martin, otherwise impressive on his home debut for Peterborough, chested David Gray's right-wing cross past his own keeper Joe Lewis. Nani and the lively Carlos Tevez were both involved in the build-up with the latter eventually feeding Gray.

With Gray backed up and sometimes overlapped by Rafael Da Silva, Peterborough had to deal with a number of raids down their left side. Not that it was much quieter for Posh on the other flank with Nani and Reds left-back Patrice Evra stretching their legs on a number of occasions, although both will be seeking greater accuracy with their shots against Juventus before the serious action starts.

United's first-half line-up was completed by Tomasz Kuszczak in goal, Wes Brown and Rio Ferdinand in the heart of defence, Darren Fletcher and John O'Shea in central midfield and Frazier Campbell, Saturday's scorer against Espanyol, up front alongside Tevez.

After almost the entire side was changed by Sir Alex, you might have expected a less cohesive performance from United in the second half. But one of the highlights of the latter stages confounded that - a move of multiple passes ending with Tom Cleverley's shot being saved by Peterborough's substitute goalkeeper Mark Tyler.

As for United's keepers, Kuszczak had to work reasonably hard to keep his latest clean sheet before he was replaced for the last 23 minutes by Ron Robert Zieler. The Pole in goal made a couple of fine saves, including one to deny a point blank header from one of Peterborough's numerous second-half subs, Craig Mackail-Smith.

United: Kuszczak; R Da Silva, Brown, Ferdinand, Evra; Gray, Fletcher, O'Shea, Nani; Tevez, Campbell. Subs (all were used): Zieler, J Evans, Cleverley, F Da Silva, Cathcart, Martin, Rodrigo, Gibson.

Round up by Adam Bostock

Sir Alex: Rafael was a sensation
    04/08/2008 22:23

Sir Alex Ferguson could barely contain his excitement on Monday night after witnessing a debut to remember by Brazilian defender Rafael Da Silva.

The young right-back played the full 90 minutes of United's friendly win at Peterborough and did enough to suggest a competitive debut may not be too far away. His brother Fabio also impressed, at left-back, after coming on for Patrice Evra at half-time.

Sir Alex told MUTV's Stewart Gardner, "The young players were fantastic and young Rafael the right-back was a sensation for me.

"I thought it was a real eye opener for us. He hadn't played for a year but he's played a full 90 minutes today. His brother Fabio has played 45 minutes and he's also done well so we're really pleased by their contribution."

When asked if the Da Silva twins' integration will be gradual, Sir Alex responded intriguingly:

"You know what football's like. Sometimes it turns up some star, some little nugget maybe. On the evidence of tonight I think we have got a good player here."

The Da Silvas look set for an Old Trafford debut as early as this Wednesday, when Juventus provide the opposition for United's final pre season friendly.

"The squad we've got here tonight (at Peterborough) will play on Wednesday," confirmed Sir Alex, while "Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Gary Neville will also be involved."

With midfielders Anderson, Michael Carrick and Owen Hargreaves plus striker Wayne Rooney still unavailable, Wednesday could see Darron Gibson make yet another pre season appearance following his wonder strike against Peterborough.

"We've been saying to him all summer, with the power he's got, he should be striking more," said Sir Alex. "The evidence is there for you now. He has fantastic feet."

As for whether Gibson will stay at United this season, or go out on loan again as he did to Wolves last term, the Reds manager commented:

"At the moment we need all our players because we have some issues with Rooney and Carrick having this virus, Hargreaves is not back yet, Anderson's at the Olympics, so we're just a little bit tight in terms of availability. So they will all stay at the moment."

Round up by Adam Bostock
    At last we have samba that can blend into the squard and play in EPL!

Fraizer's future is at United
    Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that Fraizer Campbell will be given the chance to stake a claim for a first team place at Old Trafford this season.

Following his impressive exertions on loan at Hull City last season, Campbell had been linked with either another temporary deal or multi-million pound transfer away from Old Trafford this summer.

Having watched the Huddersfield-born striker adroitly score the only goal of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's testimonial on Saturday, Sir Alex put paid to the hopes of any potential suitors.

"Fraizer Campbell took his goal very, very well and it won’t do him any harm," the manager told MUTV. "He’s very quick, determined, he can do well. His future’s here.

"We don’t have many strikers, as you know. We’ve only got Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez so Fraizer comes into that equation."

The United boss also revealed that he is hoping to further enhance his attacking options by securing a work permit for Angolan striker Manucho.

"We’re hoping to apply for the work permit for Manucho," he said. "Hopefully we’ll get that and he’ll give us even more back-up."

Steele named new keeper coach
    04/08/2008 17:40

Eric Steele has been appointed as United's new goalkeeping coach.

The former Aston Villa, Manchester City and Blackburn Rovers coach becomes the permanent replacement for Tony Coton, who retired earlier this year through injury.

Sir Alex Ferguson revealed last week that he and his fellow coaches had identified a suitable successor, after a thorough search for the right replacement.

Academy goalkeeping coach Richard Hartis had temporarily taken Coton's place, but now Steele takes on the role permanently in time for the start of the 2008/09 season.

Papers: Ruud speaks out
    04/08/2008 07:20

Ruud: Ronaldo is on a loser
    Cristiano Ronaldo can forget coming out on top in this week’s showdown with Alex Ferguson. The warning to the Manchester United star came from old boy Ruud van Nistelrooy. Real Madrid striker Van Nistelrooy, 32, had his own crunch talks with the United manager before finally being sold two years ago. And he does not expect Fergie to back down when Ronaldo, 23, tries to get the OK to join the Spanish giants. Van Nistelrooy told Five Live’s Sportsweek: "In those meetings, if he wants to keep the player he’ll do everything he can to do so - and he’ll probably succeed as well. What he is doing is in the interests of Manchester United. That’s what he always thinks of. Nobody is bigger than the club and it’s true. Will Ronaldo stay at United? I think so."
    Martin Blackburn, The Sun

Sir Alex also offers rare backing to an official - 25-year-old newcomer Stuart Attwell, saying: "A young referee coming in could be a good thing. If he does well it can inspire a lot of younger officials in the game."

The Daily Mail expects Sunderland manager Roy Keane, who looks set to miss out on signing Tottenham's Younes Kaboul, to switch his attentions to re-signing United defender Jonny Evans. The United legend will apparently try to temp Sir Alex with a £6million offer for the rookie centre-back.

No one will forget his exploits, not even rivial fans, especially that CL goal and his 10min 4 goal blitz against Notts Forest. There isn't any player quite like him till now. A skillful finisher that guarantees you a goal when he comes on as a sub and his willing to be a sub for most of his Man Utd career. Extinct liao this type of player.

Thanks to Ole for all his contributions. Simply the best!
    Agreed he extinct liao!
    ya ... those 4 goals are burning hot no horse run!

Think no one can match him in terms of scoring and attitude to play as a sub, almost 1 goal per match!

Sir Alex: Rafael was a sensation
    04/08/2008 22:23

At last we have samba that can blend into the squard and play in EPL!
    Oh the twins arrived liao? Lol time really flies! I remember reading that Man Utd signed them when they are 16 but too young to move to England. Have to wait till 18.

Dunno if they will have work permit issues or not. Liv got 1 player kenna denyed a work permit.

Rooney to miss season's start
    05/08/2008 13:19

Wayne Rooney looks set to miss the start of the 2008/09 season after picking up a virus on United's recent trip to Nigeria.

The 22-year-old didn't play in the friendly with Portsmouth in Abuja and has since missed the games against Espanyol and Peterborough, despite Sir Alex's hopes that the striker would recover. It now appears highly unlikely that Rooney will make the season's curtain raiser against Newcastle on Sunday 17 August.

"I worry about having a team," Sir Alex said at a press conference marking the U15 Manchester United Premier Cup tournament at Carrington. "Nani's suspended, Anderson's at the Olympics and I doubt we'll get Wayne fit in time."

It's deeply frustrating for Rooney, whose start to the 2007/08 campaign was disrupted when he broke a metatarsal on the opening day against Reading.

"It's a virus he picked up in Nigeria," explained Sir Alex. "It's not a nice one. [Michael] Carrick had it, but he came in on Tuesday and will hopefully play a part against Portsmouth on Sunday."

United took all the necessary precautions ahead of the Nigeria trip. The players took malaria tablets and, for those who had not travelled to central Africa in the last ten years, received the required Yellow Fever jab. Both illnesses have been ruled out. "We have a laboratory here so we have all the facilities to treat it," added the boss. "And the players took malaria tablets, so it's not that."

Nevertheless, Rooney has been left feeling weak and unable to train, diminishing his hopes of kicking off United's Double defence. "The season starts in 12 days," said Sir Alex. "But Wayne's not trained since we got back from Africa on 28 July. That's a long time."

Round up by Ben Hibbs
    What a way to start our new season! Hope everyone will be back against pool & blues games!

Papers: So long Saha?
    05/08/2008 08:20

Keano's £8.5m Saha swoop
    Roy Keane is on the brink of completing an £8.5million swoop for Manchester United striker Louis Saha. Sunderland boss Keano will make the out-of-favour Old Trafford star the biggest earner in the club’s history on £50,000 a week. Saha, 30, was at the Stadium of Light to see the Black Cats’ 1-0 pre-season defeat by Ajax. Keane is desperate to add firepower to his squad after last season’s brush with relegation. He has splashed £20m on six summer signings already but admitted: “Hopefully there will be two or three players coming on board before the transfer window closes. At the end of last season I thought we needed another top striker at the club and I’ve not changed that view because you’ve got to put the ball in the back of the net.”
    Vic Holly, The Sun

Rumours over Cristiano Ronaldo's future continue, with The Mirror claiming that the Portuguese winger will not report to Carrington this week in order to push through a move to Real Madrid. The Sun insist he will, but will then move to la Liga in a year's time.