Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6910111213162136 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Default Re: Manchester United VIII - King of Europe/Double Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    United: The Invincibles?
    16/07/2008 09:12

Can bet on Man Utd doing the double over Liverpool! Looking forward to the free 6 pts again!

Dawn of a new era for Ole

Busy busy man!
    Quite surprised that his testimonal took so long. He retired last year and only now then its held. It will be a great day for him and an emotional day for the fans. This type of striker/player is almost extinct liao.

Local honour for Ryan

How many award is he going to win? lol when he broke into the 1st team, I really din expect him to last so long but such things happen and I also din expect Lee Sharpe to 'finish' so fast.

Papers: Berbatov braced
    16/07/2008 08:31

Spurs really money suckers. They paid about 11m for him and now they want 30m. I hope Man Utd dun pay more than 25m for him. 20m will be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Can bet on Man Utd doing the double over Liverpool! Looking forward to the free 6 pts again!
    this one confirm one lei.... as long as rafa is incharge!

Quite surprised that his testimonal took so long. He retired last year and only now then its held. It will be a great day for him and an emotional day for the fans. This type of striker/player is almost extinct liao.

Think its becos he retired mid-season mah ... in order not to disturb our quest for our double thats why i think they wait till now which is after the EPL/CL season n Euro2008...

The other testimonials are also during off peak/season.

Nowadays this knid of striker bo liao...... which remind me of another extinct knid in Gary Linekar this guy is best! wonder where is he now?

How many award is he going to win? lol when he broke into the 1st team, I really din expect him to last so long but such things happen and I also din expect Lee Sharpe to 'finish' so fast.
    LOL... i think he got endless award ....think he and gary will retire a

Not only Sharpe Andrei Kanchalski (forget spelling) this guy is speed winger when he speed down the wing...wah say......he leave defenders' smelling smoke n chasing his shadow!

Spurs really money suckers. They paid about 11m for him and now they want 30m. I hope Man Utd dun pay more than 25m for him. 20m will be ideal.
    I tot they asking for 20mil onli ... i also think a better price will be 25mil. but we still can afford la..

Spurs need the money to rebulid their squard esp they got no more Top strikers left. I will do the same if were in their shoes! no more strikers left!

Don't say like that...MU also paid around there for Ronaldo and now he worth at least 3 times of Berba It's seller market

I tot they asking for 20mil onli ... i also think a better price will be 25mil. but we still can afford la..

Spurs need the money to rebulid their squard esp they got no more Top strikers left. I will do the same if were in their shoes! no more strikers left!
    They asking for 30m and I understand that Man Utd 1st bid was 20m and got rejected and 25m is the max Fergie will go. He is also taking it easy, as if Barca will to come in for him also nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Don't say like that...MU also paid around there for Ronaldo and now he worth at least 3 times of Berba It's seller market
    Ronaldo is worth the money but I dun think Berba is worth 30m leh.

And the SAGA continues:

Boss: Ronaldo's staying put

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed he met with Cristiano Ronaldo in Portugal last week to discuss the player's future and insists the winger will not be sold to Real Madrid.

The 23-year-old has been openly coveted by Real Madrid over the last few months with the player himself reported to be keen on a switch to the Bernabeu.

However, at a press conference in South Africa to mark the start of United's pre-season trip, the Reds' boss reiterated the club's stance that Ronaldo is going nowhere.

"The meeting went well - I think we both put across our points of view - where we stand and where the player stands," explained Sir Alex.

"I can say he'll be a Manchester United player next season. That's our stance - he won't be sold."

Many of the tabloids had speculated that comments attributed to Ronaldo over his desire to move to Madrid may have put a strain on his relationship with his manager. But Sir Alex says that has never been the case.

"It’s not a difficult position. I was on my holiday and I was not going to interrupt my holiday, believe me," he insisted after being asked why he had not commented on the matter up to this point.

"I wasn’t panicked because the player is under contract so the strength and the rights are with Manchester United.

"What we have done well is to say nothing. We’ve kept quiet on this matter and kept it private and what I said to Cristiano remains private. I did go and see him last week in Portugal and it was very amicable – there were no problems. That’s where we are and we carry on."

The winger is currently recovering from ankle surgery and Sir Alex confirmed Ronaldo is unlikely to be back in action until October.

"He’s had an operation and he’ll be out for three months," said the manager. "He’s on crutches for the first four weeks, he’ll be in rehabilitation for the next four and then the following four he’ll be back into football training. The time mapped out is three months and we won’t bring him back a day earlier than that.

"I think when players have operations we have a responsibility that the player comes back 100 per cent and we’ll carry that out as we normally do. There’ll be no risk-taking – we never take risks. Our goal is to always make sure that the player gets back 100 per cent and that will be the same in the case of Cristiano Ronaldo."
    Last edited by melvin; 21st July 2008 at 03:17 PM.

Report: Kaizer Chiefs 1 United 1

United’s pre-season preparations continued with an entertaining draw against Kaizer Chiefs in the Vodacom Challenge opener in Cape Town.

Watch highlights of the match on MUTV Online.

Boss Sir Alex Ferguson will have been satisfied by the work-out against an energetic side who are in the middle of their domestic season in South Africa.

Centre-back Jonathan Quartey gave the Chiefs the lead from the penalty spot in the 37th minute, before Chris Eagles converted Carlos Tevez’s cross for the second-half equaliser.

Rio Ferdinand and Mikael Silvestre were late withdrawals for United, but it was nevertheless a strong starting XI, with Ryan Giggs in the centre of midfield, Darren Fletcher on the right and Tevez and Wayne Rooney up front.

The Reds showed some neat touches but created little in the first half, with Paul Scholes’ free-kick – tipped over by Chiefs goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune – about as good as it got.

The game began in glorious sunshine in Newlands Stadium, despite it being mid-winter in South Africa, and a colourful crowd did their best to create a carnival atmosphere.

The Chiefs’ main attacking threat was an Anderson lookalike, Siphiwe Tshabalala, who almost put his side ahead in the sixth minute, only to see his shot blocked by Gary Neville.

And it was the Chiefs’ pacy left-winger who won the penalty, playing a neat one-two before charging into the box where he was upended by Neville. Quartey sent Tomasz Kuszczak the wrong way from the spot to opening the scoring.

Neville had some joy down the right with his trademark overlapping runs, but United failed to create many clear-cut chances in the opening 45 minutes.

Tevez, who did not feature against Aberdeen last weekend, headed Neville’s cross just over, while Nemanja Vidic glanced a corner narrowly wide.

United improved in the second half and Eagles equalised on the hour mark when he headed home Tevez’s superb right-wing cross.

Ferguson kept his promise to give all his players a run-out on the South African trip by making a raft of substitutions in the last 20 minutes.

The Chiefs flagged late in the game but United could not find a winner; however, the Reds’ main priority of improving fitness and sharpness was achieved.

Next up for United in the Vodacom Challenge are Orlando Pirates in Durban on Tuesday night. Fans can watch the match live on MUTV and MUTV Online.

United: Kuszczak; Neville (Simpson 62), Vidic, Brown (Evans 69), O'Shea; Fletcher, Scholes, Giggs, Eagles (Campbell 62); Tevez, Rooney (Gibson 69).
    Eagles Strikes Again!

Sir Alex: Nev was phenomenal

Gary Neville's contribution against Kaizer Chiefs on Saturday has been labelled "phenomenal" by Sir Alex Ferguson.

The Reds boss was delighted with club captain Neville, who, after completing 45 minutes against Aberdeen on 12 July, went one step further at Newlands Stadium.

See Sir Alex's post-match interview on MUTV Online.

Neville, 33, worked tirelessly at right back and sprinted past Darren Fletcher on numerous occasions to provide an extra man going forward. It's a sight Sir Alex and United fans have sorely missed over the last 16 months, as Neville fell victim to a string of injuries during his quest to recover from an initial ankle knock sustained in March 2007.

The only blot on Neville’s Cape Town performance came in the 37th minute when he brought down tricky winger Siphiwe Tshabalala to concede a penalty.

“Obviously his tackling’s not improved!” Ferguson joked at his post-match press conference. “Seriously though, I’m very pleased. He played his first 45 minutes in 16 months against Aberdeen and a week later he’s managed another 60 minutes.

“Gary’s a remarkable man and, as everyone who’s played football will tell you, when you’re in your 30s and you’re forced out of the game for 16 months, the comeback is very difficult.

“But he showed tremendous enthusiasm [against Kaizer Chiefs] and the speed of his play was quite phenomenal.”

Round up by Nick Coppack in Cape Town, South Africa

Tomasz keen to progress

Polish stopper Tomasz Kuszczak is determined to make a claim for the Reds’ no.1 jersey this season.

Since arriving at Old Trafford in 2006, Kuszczak, who was beaten only from the penalty spot in United’s pre-season friendly against Kaizer Chiefs on Saturday, has acted as Edwin van der Sar’s chief understudy.

But the time has come, he believes, to push for top spot and turn out regularly for the first team.

“I hope to get more chances to play in the future,” Kuszczak told MUTV at Cape Town's Newlands Stadium.

“I say this openly because I came to Manchester two years ago and I’ve trained very hard. I always try to be ready for the team and I hope my chance will come soon and I’ll get more games to prove myself.

“I’m very happy to play 90 minutes [against Kaizer Chiefs]. The first game back after a break is always a little difficult because you don’t know where you are with your form, but I’m happy with mine and I’ll keep going.”

If Kuszczak is to displace van der Sar as United’s no.1, he’ll have to beat off stiff competition from Ben Foster.

Although Foster has made just one senior appearance for the Reds, he’s impressed during two loan spells at Watford and is widely tipped to eventually take over the England duties.

“We have good competition [in the goalkeeping department],” Kuszczak acknowledged. “It’s important for goalkeepers to have someone behind you, someone pushing you to work hard.

"Both Bens [Foster and 18-year-old Amos] have done really well. It’s good for young goalkeepers [like Amos] to train with us, to have fun and work hard.”

Giggs eyes Pirates scalp

United winger Ryan Giggs admits winning isn’t everything during pre-season, although he’d love to put one over Orlando Pirates in Durban on Tuesday.

The Reds’ first match in the Vodacom Challenge, against Kaizer Chiefs in Cape Town, ended 1-1 after Chris Eagles cancelled out Jonathan Quartey’s opener.

And although Sir Alex’s side are guaranteed a spot in the competition’s final even if they lose to Orlando Pirates, Giggs would much prefer to get there on merit.

“The results here in South Africa aren’t the be all and end all,” he told MUTV. “Generally, the idea is to get fit and come through the games with no injuries.

“But winning is still important. We didn’t win the tournament last time we were here in 2006 [so we’d like to make up for that]. Besides, you want to get into the habit of winning games as soon as possible.”

The 34-year-old is enjoying his time in South Africa, largely due to the supporters’ hospitality.

“South Africa’s great. The fans are brilliant, just like anywhere else in the world where United go. I’ve experienced it before so I know what to expect, but it’s still special to arrive at the airport at 8am and see fans waiting for you.

“They were dancing and singing and put on a real South African welcome [when we touched down in Cape Town on Friday].

“It’s definitely good to be here and we’ll have some more tough games to play – it will be a real test.”

Papers: Pele's Rooney advice

Pele's Rooney advice
    Wayne Rooney must go on the defensive to rediscover his world-class form, says Brazil legend Pele. Rooney was substituted by boss Alex Ferguson after a couple of clashes with Chiefs full-back Jimmy Tau when he appeared to lash out. And superstar Pele said: “I like Wayne Rooney but he hasn’t reached the peak of Euro 2004 again. He had two or three very good years and then lost a little bit in his performances. When he is tangling with opponents, Rooney has to learn how to defend himself, not attack the opponent. If you can protect yourself against challenges, it will be easier to keep your temper. It should be possible because referees help strikers now."
    Janine Self, The Sun

The Sun reports that Cristiano Ronaldo is still not committing his future to United. "What do you want me to say? That I'm going or I'm staying. I don't know about the future. Only God knows it," they quote him as saying. Meanwhile, The Mirror claims Ramon Calderon is still beating the Ronaldo drum. "This type (of transfer) is hard," says the Real Madrid president. "But we're going to go for it all the same."

The tabloid also reports that Lord Sebastian Coe is still on the prowl to sign up Sir Alex to be Great Britain's 2012 Olympic football team coach. Says Coe: "Who else would you want to have the mentoring role with young players for a build-up to the Games?"

The Daily Mail hints that a move for Dimitar Berbatov is close. They claim Tottenham are already planning to spend money from any potential transfer of Berbatov (to United) and Robbie Keane (to Liverpool) on forwards Diego Milito and Roman Pavlyuchenko, and wingers David Bentley and Diego Capel.

Round up by Ben Hibbs
    Wow Spurs steady sell 2 can buy 4!

Park vows to stay injury-free
    21/07/2008 08:25

Ji-sung Park has set his sights on an extended and injury-free spell in the first team next season.

The Korean winger's three-year United career has been punctuated by a series of injuries and he missed the first half of last season with cartilage damage.

That knee injury has resurfaced over pre-season, ending any chance of Park representing his country at this summer's Olympic Games or joining the Reds' trip to South Africa.

The 27-year-old returned to the UK from his homeland on Sunday and will have his knee assessed by medical staff at Carrington, although he is confident next season will be his most productive yet in a red shirt.

He told ManUtd.kr: "I've had a good rest and I trained on my own in Korea, but I will have my knee checked by the club. My training schedule will be decided after that."

"Each season there are many chances for me at United and I am trying to take those chances and perform on the pitch. I've always tried to do that, but it has been hard because I've picked up an injury every season.

"So my aim for next season is to stay injury-free for the whole campaign, then I can show what I am capable of on the pitch."

Round up by James Tuck

Papers: Pele's Rooney advice

Wow Spurs steady sell 2 can buy 4!
    Its been their strategy for the past seasons, buy cheap but good then sell. Esp the young promising players. They just signed Santos and Modic (Dunno how to spell their name) and both are said to be very good.

Real 'would be bad for Ronny'
    21/07/2008 13:48

Sir Alex Ferguson was at his most candid yet on Monday afternoon when asked about the future of Cristiano Ronaldo. The Reds boss firmly set out the facts that Ronaldo is contracted to United for four more years, adding that a move to Real Madrid would be “the worst thing he could do”.

The 23-year-old winger, who is currently recovering after an ankle operation that will keep him for around three months, has been the subject of much speculation linking him with a move to Real Madrid this summer.

United have stated throughout that Ronaldo will not be leaving, while Sir Alex described a meeting with the player in Portugal as “amicable” and seemingly positive. At a press conference in Durban on the club’s visit to South Africa, the United manager took time out to further reveal his views.

“The future is that Cristiano signed a five year contract with the team last year and he has four years left. That’s definite, I’ve seen his signature,” said Sir Alex.

“Young lads can be turned by the talk of money and the moves that are happening all the time in football. But after the Champions League final he was the happiest boy in the world. I think he knows where the best club is to be, and that is Manchester United.

“I honestly believe that going to Real Madrid would be the worst thing he could do. I think he’s 23 years old and at the right club, a fantastic club.”

Team-mate Michael Carrick was far from pleading with Ronaldo but strongly expressed his views about the draw of Old Trafford. “I can only speak for myself,” he said. “But for me this is the best place in the world to be. Joining the club was the best decision I have ever made.”

Round up by Nick Coppack in Durban, and Ben Hibbs

Rio set for first outing
    21/07/2008 14:17

Rio Ferdinand is in line for his first appearance of the pre-season campaign against Orlando Pirates in Durban after recovering from a back problem.

The 29-year-old defender did not take part in United’s opening summer friendly against Aberdeen and then suffered a back spasm during the warm-up for the first Vodacom Challenge match against Kaizer Chiefs in Cape Town on Saturday.

But the influential centre-back took part in a light training session on Sunday and was involved with the squad’s full work-out in Durban on Monday afternoon.

“Rio trained yesterday,” confirmed Sir Alex. “He wasn’t so stiff, and if he trains well today (Monday) he will certainly start on Tuesday.

“He’s missed two games now and he’ll want to get back into the action. I think it’s important that he starts.”

Sir Alex also confirmed that Rio’s defensive team-mate, Wes Brown, will return to Manchester on Wednesday following the sad news that his half-sister Amanda died at the weekend.

Round up by Nick Coppack in Durban, and Ben Hibbs

Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6910111213162136 ... LastLast