Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Newbie Qn: Is It Possible With This Budget ?

  1. #1
    Robert
    Guests

    Default Newbie Qn: Is It Possible With This Budget ?

    I am looking for a digital camera to complement my existing Canon EOS 500.

    I have this usual problem of snapping a picture and not being able to develop it until I complete all 24 or 36 shots (don't want to waste), so I figured this would be a good time to get a digital camera.

    With a budget of about $600, I've been surfing and reading the various posts in HWZ and comparing specs etc until it gets very confusing, so I hope all you experts here can recommend.

    Basically, I want something simple that even the wife can use, point-n-shoot (like the EOS).

    Zoom: 6X Preferred, but can live with 3X
    Video: Not necessary
    Pixels: 2.1 MegaPixels
    Medium: *please explain which is more popular/convenient/cheaper - CF or SM*
    Accessories: Can I put a UV filter or external flash etc.

    Also, like most still cameras, can I get the shots to have the date imprinted when I print on an Epson Stylus Photo printer?

    So you see, a total digicam newbie.

    Any recommendations?

    Thanks + regards

    (** no flames please **)

  2. #2

    Default

    Hm, maybe you can take a look at fuji finepix 2800. It's a point and shoot cam, with 6x zoom, 2.1mp, uses sm. Bad side will be limited performance in night shots, and not able to add any other accessories on the body itself.

    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...iew/index.html

  3. #3
    Robert
    Guests

    Default

    Hi

    Thanks for your reply.

    I did consider the FinePix 2800, but Alan Photo quoted me $680 yesterday, so it's above the $600 limit (also have wife-acceptance-factor-cum-limit).

    They quoted the A20 at $580 and 2600 at $515 (or thereabouts).

    Both are 3x zoom.

    But for comparison sake and keeping resolution to the same, which (CF or SM) can hold more shots for 128MB?

    Thanks

    Originally posted by Keito
    Hm, maybe you can take a look at fuji finepix 2800. It's a point and shoot cam, with 6x zoom, 2.1mp, uses sm. Bad side will be limited performance in night shots, and not able to add any other accessories on the body itself.

    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...iew/index.html

  4. #4

    Default

    Originally posted by Robert
    Hi

    But for comparison sake and keeping resolution to the same, which (CF or SM) can hold more shots for 128MB?

    not too sure whether there's a diff (i mean, 128mb means 128mb rite?) fer tt...

    but most cameras using SM is compatible only up to 128mb and not fer larger capacities cos the device controller is built into the camera....

    and even though CF may be thicker than SM, it has a built in device controller so tt means cameras using CF can support fer larger capacity CF cards in the future...

  5. #5

    Default

    Originally posted by Robert
    Hi

    Thanks for your reply.

    But for comparison sake and keeping resolution to the same, which (CF or SM) can hold more shots for 128MB?

    Thanks
    It's roughly the same but the storage capacities available for cf is much higher then sm(largest card is 128mb only, of cos can buy many 128mb card). Price wise they are similiar.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Originally posted by Robert

    But for comparison sake and keeping resolution to the same, which (CF or SM) can hold more shots for 128MB?
    Images are basically files which take up the same amount of space whether they're on a CF or SM. Different cameras would apply different amounts of compression and result in different file sizes.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  7. #7

    Default

    I guess the Fuji 2600 would probably be better for your budget.

  8. #8
    919956g
    Guests

    Default

    hey come

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...131#post309131


    feel free to drop comments

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Originally posted by 919956g
    hey come

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...131#post309131


    feel free to drop comments
    Why dig up this old thread???

  10. #10

    Default

    Hi Robert, why don't you also consider the Canon A70? Its 3mp, 3x zoom and uses Cf cards which are prob the cheapest storage format in the market. The A70 also comes with full manual controls (aperture and shutter priority), manual focus mode, and you can add on polarisers and filters, teleconverters, etc etc. It appears that you can get it for about S$520. Add another $60 for 128m CF card and $22 for GP rechargeable batteries & charger and it comes to about $600.

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally posted by kng
    Hi Robert, why don't you also consider the Canon A70? Its 3mp, 3x zoom and uses Cf cards which are prob the cheapest storage format in the market. The A70 also comes with full manual controls (aperture and shutter priority), manual focus mode, and you can add on polarisers and filters, teleconverters, etc etc. It appears that you can get it for about S$520. Add another $60 for 128m CF card and $22 for GP rechargeable batteries & charger and it comes to about $600.
    I agree to this comment

    Or you may want to consider getting a higher model + accessories, 2nd hand at the "buy and sell"

  12. #12

    Default

    eh guys, the original question was posted more than one year ago. Robert here has probably gotten his cam and shot many frames already.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Originally posted by Tweek
    eh guys, the original question was posted more than one year ago. Robert here has probably gotten his cam and shot many frames already.


    I guess few ppl actually looked at the dates...

  14. #14

    Default

    Originally posted by imaginary_number


    I guess few ppl actually looked at the dates...
    !!!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Near Equator
    Posts
    258

    Default

    This is hilarious.... never noticed any price discrepancies either?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •