Thread: Be careful of your GPRS charges when using wifi..

Default Be careful of your GPRS charges when using wifi..

Just sharing something... I just got a new phone, nokia n82, and its the first time i am using a phone with wifi...

I was meddling around with the phone, trying out the GPS and wifi functions... used the wifi to surf clubsnap.. .. and being wary of the high charges of GPRS after hearing stories of people made to pay thousands of dollars for downloading movies to their handphone, i made sure i turned off A-GPS, the assisted GPS when using nokia maps. To my surprise, when i checked the log of the phone, there is about 1mb of GPRS packet data sent or downloaded..
    I wondered where the packet data usage came from and so i called the cust service.. and guess what they told me.. When you are connected by wifi..and your phone goes idle.. the phone will automatically connect to gprs....thats probably where the usage came from.. Can anyone double confirm this? and my 1mb of "usage" cost me almost $10 ....

And i also noticed my phone came with SMS2.0 ... which essentially feeds lots of data to you.. err.. a potential "trap" if you accidently click on those banners... you would be charged also.. Anyone here who has handset with SMS2.0 also?? Any way to remove it?

just seeking confirmation here and making spreading some awareness if its indeed true.. But anyway.. I already cancelled my GPRS service...

Default Re: Be careful of your GPRS charges when using wifi..

managed to delete the irritating sms2.0... keep asking me to register.. -_-"""
    I am flying overseas liao..tata..

the Assisted GPS thing only works when you try to lock on to GPS with little or no connection with the satellites, anyway, you could turn it off anyway..

and the wifi thing, you can set in your settings to ask you which connection to connect to first. in your web browser -> settings -> general -> access point to always ask.

your wifi connection will switch to 3G/GPRS when you have limited or no connection via Wifi.

the thing about switching over to 3G/GPRS seemlessly is because most other countries have data packages already bundled with their voice plans. but in singapore, although data packages are getting more and more affordable, it's not bundled with standard voice plans. those pay per use data plans are sooooo riduclously expensive and with no max data cap somemore.

now who says singapore's telecom infrastructure were great?

vince123123
    Guests

Just keep a watchout on your phone for the popup that GPRS is connected.

ya, i also kenna... spent $5.67 for 567kb worth of gprs. regretted getting a 3G sim card.
    Imagination is more powerful than words.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    ya, i also kenna... spent $5.67 for 567kb worth of gprs. regretted getting a 3G sim card.
    Not sure what phone you use but for Window Mobile, there are some software which can help you to block any connection to data.

Quote Originally Posted by John Teoh View Post
    Not sure what phone you use but for Window Mobile, there are some software which can help you to block any connection to data.
    i'm using nokia e60. doubt it has such features...

I was charged for about $20 for some unknowing download GPRS also .
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    i'm using nokia e60. doubt it has such features...
    How about deleting the setting or create a dummy setting (without ID and password) and see if it works?

Quote Originally Posted by rOnGrEn View Post
    just seeking confirmation here and making spreading some awareness if its indeed true.. But anyway.. I already cancelled my GPRS service...
    You can that again.
    I realised this long ago.
    Guess what, they purposely embed triggers into the "free" surfing.

Then suddenly I got people sending me messages selling me ring tones that I never wanted and charging me $$$.
    I complained.
    The people i/c said I had initiated the transaction.

This is completely hidden under layers of menus and there definitely was no warning that you are buying something.

thanks for the warning..

for SE users, you can manually set the GPRS setting to MMS. doing it this way, you cannot accidentally activate the GPRS. not sure if Nokia users can do the same but no harm trying.

Quote Originally Posted by John Teoh View Post
    How about deleting the setting or create a dummy setting (without ID and password) and see if it works?
    thanks for the advice...