Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Recommendation - NON-DSLR for Travelling

Default Re: Need Recommendation - NON-DSLR for Travelling

Quote Originally Posted by keast View Post
    g9's a good choice if you are already a canon dslr user, im using a 400d, sampled by friend's g9 barely any learning curve to me just for the few extra buttons i never seen before.

as said, built like a tank. but the iso performance is so-so only

and yea for travelling take a pns with as wide angle as possible and dont be bothered with stuff like flash hot shoe cuz you might as well bring your dslr gear down down
    I disagree with not bringing the external flash comment. If your DC has a hot shoe, a flash such as Canon 430EX will be very useful indoor. Compare with carrying a dslr with G9, even if you are just carrying the dslr and a walk around lens, it is going to weight a lot more and is much bigger. And when you carry a dslr, you are always tempted to carry at least one additional lens...

Quote Originally Posted by keast View Post

and yea for travelling take a pns with as wide angle as possible and dont be bothered with stuff like flash hotshoe cuz you might as well bring your dslr gear down down
    Actually, I do pair my Canon S5 with the 430Ex, it not really that cumbersome, but can make the difference in getting the shots you want.

I think the Panasonic FZ18 is pretty good for travelling. 18x zoom, Mega OIS, Leica optics, Super Macro, etc. or maybe the new Nikon P80 with roughly similar specs to the FZ18 bar the 10 megapixel sensor. I think it looks better than the Panasonic though

Just saw TS username.
    Can forget about nikon le.
    haha.

Lol maybe he loves Canon but doesn't mind using other brands also. I dont mind using other brands if its not DSLRs

Lumix FZ18

Canon A640 - because it's got the swivel LCD! It's reallllly useful for composing from extreme angles, and also to take self-shots. That swivel LCD is one of the main reasons why I don't want to buy a DSLR.
    And if you really need to shoot RAW on a Canon PnS that does not support RAW out of the box, there's this little hack that allows you to do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by huipiiing View Post
    Canon A640 - because it's got the swivel LCD! It's reallllly useful for composing from extreme angles, and also to take self-shots. That swivel LCD is one of the main reasons why I don't want to buy a DSLR.
    And if you really need to shoot RAW on a Canon PnS that does not support RAW out of the box, there's this little hack that allows you to do just that.
    Sony Alpha 300 & 350 DSLR do have swivel LCD.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by estel View Post
    If you just need an P&S and not much manaul meddling, how about as Digital IXUS 860 IS? Very compact, comes with a wide-end zoom (28-105mm) which is great for travelling.
    I second that. For the zoom range and Picture quality. For PnS, I prefer Canon although I use Nikon dSLR. I am now considering getting the Ixus860IS myself to carry around in my pocket all the time, in the course of my work and leisure, when I am not on photo.

I went on a US trip with a kit lens, 18-70. I didn't find a need for anything longer than the eq of 105mm. Together with me, one chap was using a 18-200 lens - at the end of the trip, he told me that he hardly or rather almost never go beyond 70 to 80mm. Well, it all depends on where you go, what you do and what you shoot la.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

I suggest a G9 too

Pros: Has IS
    Modes like a normal dslr, changing ISO is so easy, menus easy to use.
    I use it when I dont feel like carrying a dslr ard, aka light-weight
    Looks cool, got add-ons..

I feel like a canon salesman here haha...
    Anyway just don have too much hope on the higher iso-s and indoor wb, with all these in mind in my own opinion, it still tops the other prosumer cameras out there. TTs in my opinion la..
    Zeng Liwei | Photos

non dslrs, except for the sigma dp, all have shitty high iso performance.

I would get either the panasonic fx36 (25-100), the panasonic TZ15 (28-280) and small, or a sigma dp.

hi all...
    how abt Fuji F100fd?
    or Canon S5 IS?

fuji - the high megapixel count squaders the superccd advantage. apart from that the f100fd isn't very tempting. (mainly cuz the lens range isn't all that hot).

S5 IS - good camera. Don't see any reason to get this instead of the TZ15 (tz15 is smaller, image quality should be similar).

There IS something to be said for the handling of the S5 though, which -should- be better than that of the tz15. Of course, the S5 is much bigger.

As a nikon DSLR user, i would say Nikon is not that great for the pns segment of the market. I will probably go for Canon or Sony. My top consideration for pns will probably be ease of use, follow by lens Quality/wideness, weight/size.

Yes $800+ can get a Canon G9.
    Add $200+ more can get an Olympus E420 + pancake lens which is a DSLR - pocket dynamo!
    I would consider these two models if I needed something light & compact for travelling.

Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    Yes $800+ can get a Canon G9.
    Add $200+ more can get an Olympus E420 + pancake lens which is a DSLR - pocket dynamo!
    I would consider these two models if I needed something light & compact for travelling.
    get the e420, you will have more versatility next time with it also.
    Haumau
    "Travelling light, no more bulky items."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12