Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which 5MP Camera to get?

how about the pentax optio 550? I looking at it... features good but dunno about handling...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

went and ask one photoshop here.... RM3300 for Sony 717!!! the camera ONLY!!!!

are you sure that it is only S$1500 for the camera and 256MB memory stick PRO?

Originally posted by cwongsm
    Hi sorry for my ignorance ..... what is CCD imager ?? So is it better to be smaller or bigger ??

I am planning to get CP5400. Well, I was previously using CP775...and now want to get a better one! Sounds good?
    Hi,

The CCD is where the light falls on, recording the image. It's analogous to film format size in normal film cameras. The bigger the size, the better and they will inherently produce less noise.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Originally posted by Glyyde
    went and ask one photoshop here.... RM3300 for Sony 717!!! the camera ONLY!!!!

are you sure that it is only S$1500 for the camera and 256MB memory stick PRO?
    Go SLS Hai Chew and ask lor

I got mine for $1500

cyke
    Guests

Try getting an equote from MSColor. I _think_ I got a cheaper quote than $1500 (not too sure though, it was a few weeks back)

Originally posted by cyke
    Try getting an equote from MSColor. I _think_ I got a cheaper quote than $1500 (not too sure though, it was a few weeks back)
    So you're giving up your 7hi for a 717?

cyke
    Guests

Nope, at that point of time I was deciding between the F717, CP 5700 and the 7Hi.

Originally posted by cyke
    Nope, at that point of time I was deciding between the F717, CP 5700 and the 7Hi.
    So, how is the 7Hi?
    I am also deciding between these 3 mainly. The other 2 I am considering are G3 and that new sony model that looks like a G3.

cyke
    Guests

I didn't consider the Sony cameras seriously because I didn't want to be tied to the memory stick, although it does not detract from the fact that the F717 did get very good reviews.

These were my comments from another thread:
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...threadid=37867

I was toying between the idea of the Coolpix 5700 and the Minolta 7Hi.

To be frank, I fell in love with the CP5700 immediately when I saw the camera, looked through the brochure and did my research. It is a great camera - had some of my requirements be different, perhaps I would have gotten it. I don't think I need to harp about the nice things it has - EVF, variable angle LCD, noise reduction algorithm, 8X zoom, etc. Its fans will probably add more to the list in this thread

So what made me get the Minolta 7Hi instead?
    1. AA Battery - I don't have the $$ to buy the battery grip. The 7Hi supports AA batteries off the cuff.

2. Zoom - the 5700 uses a mechanised zoom, I prefer the traditional twisting of the zoom lens - more control.

3. EVF - the 7Hi also has an EVF. While it does not have the variable angle LCD, I don't plan to use the LCD anyway so it does not matter. As a slight compensation, the EVF can be rotated up to 90 degrees, not that I use it much. For those who don't know what an EVF is, it basically allows you to see through the viewfinder the exact image that you would be taking, similar to SLRs.

4. Focus - the 7Hi has a proper manual focus ring instead of having to go through the user interface. It has a flex focus point that can be used anywhere.

5. Focus in low lighting - pretty zippy I must say.

6. Focal range - 28mm-210mm.

The 7Hi is probably the most similar in specs to the 5700 than any other camera and even looks similar, though the 5700 does look sleeker and slightly smaller.

Of course the 7Hi has its disadvantages - more noise at higher ISO levels, less powerful 7X zoom, etc. I don't seem to have the ERR problem that some owners have reported so perhaps I'm lucky (so far - keep my fingers crossed.).

The Canon G-series is extremely popular here, but do take a look at the specs between the G-series and the higher-end prosumer models - it still has some way to go.
    Additional comments

Must highlight the noise at the higher ISOs, although there are some tips to reduce it:
    http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...ml/iso800.html
    and the noise appears to be not noticeable when you develop it at 4R (definitely noticeable if you view the pic at its actual resolution). Please see if the noise level is acceptable to you or examine the chances of you using the higher ISO levels.

Colour-wise, at its original settings, it is not vibrant enough for my taste, but the good thing is that you can change the saturation and contrast settings (7 levels!) on the camera, or simply choose the vivid colour setting. I also like the fact that the ICC profile can be embedded in the picture, something that you only see in the DSLRS.

Do take note that some owners in the Minolta forum has reported an ERR problem for the 7 series. Doesn't seem to be an issue for me, but guess the warranty or perhaps a 1-week 1-to-1 exchange agreement with the shop you purchase from is handy in case it happens.

Deregistered

Think we should organise a 7hi 717 and 5700 outing someday

I totally agree with cyke on the 7hi's capabilities, having used one, it's totally rock. I took some pictures with it at low lighting, the mechanical zoom was really something I wished the 5700 has.

I personally touched all the three cameras before I decided on my current setup. I can say they're all the best there is in the series. whichever you get, you won't go wrong.

cyke
    Guests

Originally posted by espn
    I personally touched all the three cameras before I decided on my current setup. I can say they're all the best there is in the series. whichever you get, you won't go wrong.
    Yep, you can seriously consider the 5700 too. Price-wise, it is cheaper with many good features Plus, it's a Nikon

Deregistered

I did. I'm a happy user of the CP5700. I've a friend with the 7hi. both just as happy users.

I guess the only thing to choose from between 7hi and CP5700 is the batteries.

Deregistered

Nope. I'm also using AA for my CP5700.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234