yeah i strongly recommend a sony 717 to u

right now it cost just $1500 together with 256 memory stick pro

guarantee u'll not regret it

the feel of it really makes the user like a professional photographer

go ahead and try

*a proud 717 owner*

Deregistered

MrBig, you sound like you're marketing for Sony

but later if the our friend doesn't like it, does your guarantee pay him back?

haha Sony no need to market on lah

It's a SONY

it's name is so big that they dun hv to participate in any of this year major shows

how i was i'm in the sales for Sony if they've one kekeke

Originally posted by MrBig
    yeah i strongly recommend a sony 717 to u

right now it cost just $1500 together with 256 memory stick pro

guarantee u'll not regret it

the feel of it really makes the user like a professional photographer

go ahead and try

*a proud 717 owner*
    Does your guarantee apply to me? I bought the 717 and no matter how, can't get myself to like the feel of it...

The design is something people either love or hate. Dun be so fast to take it for granted that other people will like it as much as you do (and as much as I initially thought I do... ).

Originally posted by Fella
    Does your guarantee apply to me? I bought the 717 and no matter how, can't get myself to like the feel of it...

The design is something people either love or hate. Dun be so fast to take it for granted that other people will like it as much as you do (and as much as I initially thought I do... ).
    I love the feel of the long lens barrel

like aiming a rifle

besides i very proud of the pictures it can produce

me very satisfied...really worth every cents

every make will have its disadvantages and advantages.
    e.g.
    Nikon 5700-poor AF in low contrast
    Canon G5 no EVF
    Olympus 5050 -chromatic abberation
    etc.

what i would suggest is that you compare all the specs of the cameras recommended above and see what can functions you must have, what faults you live with or cannot accept..
    then you choose from there your camera..
    I believe you would appreciate your camera more..

regards
    Last edited by Hobbes234; 26th June 2003 at 09:08 PM.

Originally posted by MrBig
    I love the feel of the long lens barrel

like aiming a rifle

besides i very proud of the pictures it can produce

me very satisfied...really worth every cents
    What I'm trying to say is that, too often, people will recommend the model and make of the camera they own, which, imo, really isn't good advice.

Hey ... something that is left out. Once you are done with all the technical stuff, and you are still undecided. Just see which feels the best in your hands. That is which model appeals to your senses the most ....

Technical specs is not all that has to be considered

My 2 cents ....

Try go to the shop and ask to try all the cameras and see which you like best
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

feature wise the venerable 717 is still the best, besides the weird shape.
    picture quality is good, the CZ design reduces internal flare and has big zoom-big aperture combo. 5mp 5x zoom f/2.0-2.4
    MS is about the same price as SD and the new cards so dun see any disadvantages there.
    too much talk has been about MS being proprietary -- but in what way? there are OEM cards, sony clies use MS, unless u talk about capacity then ok lah... CF is still the best there. otherwise all the cards area proprietary besides SD -- which has some sucky cameras still.
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

I've used Sony , Canon, Olympus & Nikon before.

The ealier sony isn't impressive at all. the image isn't as sharp. However, i've no idea abt the present sony.

Given the 3 other brands, I'll choose Olympus or Nikon.
    The Canon which I've tried is of a higher resolution than Olympus but the sharpnest still suffer when printed out from a injet printer - given that all other condition the same.

Personally, I've choosed Nikon 5700 above Olympus because of the single reflex lens that works like SLR except it has non-interchangable which gives a accurate view of abt 97 % or up.

So far i'm pleased wit it except AF which is slightly slow!

interface I think olympus is still the best, although the 5050 it goes a bit weird cos the wheel not very well done imo... canon's wheel use is better.
    Playback wise olympus interface beats everyone -- rational and logical design that u only see other cameras trying *now*
    the 717's menu is a bit quirky but still very useable, playing with it now... but it's true the grrip is a gripe, imo feel the barrel too big and the grip too small... haha in the end use LCD more than EVF, like 95%.
    G5 if like G3 then it's a good camera but not too flexible zoom wise, u'll find urself adding low-quality lenses to zoom more.
    nikon's high-end deliver good images but a bit harder than others to *get* the images. slower 1:1 than other similar cameras.
    minolta is fun to try but image quality as bit noisier.

new ones like the v1 is nice but slow lens. or u can try the cd550 (500)? which is a 3x 5mp CZ CDRW sony -- good grip good life.

what is the focus speed for 717? what lens can it use?

this camera will last me for years as I am going oversea to study.... so I want to get a good one.....

spent almost $1000 to get the Ixus330 and realize that it is not up to what I would like it to be..... well... maybe that time it is good enough.... but after learning more about photography... I am HUNGRY!!! but then not enough money to be hungry for Canon 10D.....

Originally posted by Glyyde

this camera will last me for years as I am going oversea to study.... so I want to get a good one.....

spent almost $1000 to get the Ixus330 and realize that it is not up to what I would like it to be..... well... maybe that time it is good enough.... but after learning more about photography... I am HUNGRY!!! but then not enough money to be hungry for Canon 10D.....
    the s330 is a good *compact* camera... much better than the smaller v3 after it.. but then it's meant to be small than powerful.

here's the extensive review of 717, dun understand stuff *after* reading then ask us or me. (try my best)
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf717/
    the site can also find the other cams... do go through the picture gallery and see the colour+noise etc

Originally posted by denizenx
    the s330 is a good *compact* camera... much better than the smaller v3 after it.. but then it's meant to be small than powerful.

here's the extensive review of 717, dun understand stuff *after* reading then ask us or me. (try my best)
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf717/
    the site can also find the other cams... do go through the picture gallery and see the colour+noise etc
    that's why I said only then I found out it is not enough for me..... too COMPACT..... but will still use it for its portability.....

Default Re: Which 5MP Camera to get?

...I find that I can't cropped the picture much and 2MP is not enough for me anymore.... thus was looking at 5MP camera now... the question is, which one should I get?

Glyde,

You dont need a new cam, you need to compose better, that is all. I think Sulhan is still working his Ixus and pushing that thing to its limits, so 2 thumbs up for that chap.

All the megapixels in the cam will not be sufficient for what is fundamentally poor technique and visualisation. If you want to improve, then be disciplined enough to compose well, instead of snapping and thinking that you could later work the pictures through photoshop.

I would save the money, and instead sign up for a photography course to nail down the basics.

Default Re: Which 5MP Camera to get?

currently I owned the old Ixus 330 2MP, but I find that I can't cropped the picture much
    Question: Why crop the picture when you can just frame it nicely and use the whole file?

If your budget is between $1500-$2000 and want it to last for YEARS....

IMHO, get a film SLR with 1 good lens and spend the rest on film and developing. In YEARS to come. you can upgrade by buying more lens and another body (slr/dslr?).

Why? I think your current interest in a prosumer camera will last the most 1 year. And you realise you can't sell it then without losing almost 50%!!.

Default Re: Re: Which 5MP Camera to get?

Originally posted by fruitybix
    Glyde,

You dont need a new cam, you need to compose better, that is all. I think Sulhan is still working his Ixus and pushing that thing to its limits, so 2 thumbs up for that chap.

All the megapixels in the cam will not be sufficient for what is fundamentally poor technique and visualisation. If you want to improve, then be disciplined enough to compose well, instead of snapping and thinking that you could later work the pictures through photoshop.

I would save the money, and instead sign up for a photography course to nail down the basics.
    as a matter of fact.... I did sign up for a basic photography course and that is why I feel like getting a new camera as Ixus doesn't seems to be able to do what I want it to be.....

djchris,

is not that I don't want to frame it properly.... sometimes when I cant reach the object I want, I use zoom, but the whole image will turns out very dark as I can't control the settings at all.... turning up the ISO will only result in noisy picture and I don't like that kind of noise.....

Default Casio?

Ever consider Casio QV-5700? Uses Canon F2 lens, similar functions as G3 with a bit more, uses AA, and a Sony 5mp CCD. Good stuff... but most people give it a miss cos it's a Casio. I'm using one now, trying to sell it to upgrade to DSLR. Check this out if you interested.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...threadid=37352

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast