Thread: Cold countries...

Default Cold countries...

Hihi... had this Q in mind for a long time... what sort of weather is un suitable for digital cameras when we go overseas... ie Genting Highlands... will our cams be more prone to problems or even spoil if we travel to "cold" and "wet" places??

Default Re: Cold countries...

Originally posted by blurboiboi
    Hihi... had this Q in mind for a long time... what sort of weather is un suitable for digital cameras when we go overseas... ie Genting Highlands... will our cams be more prone to problems or even spoil if we travel to "cold" and "wet" places??
    I'm not too sure about Genting Highlands...

I guess digital cameras are similar to film cameras in this aspect. So... basing on my observations...

Cold and dry weather - Batteries seem to die out easier. There's some technical explanation to it, but I'm not too sure. I always keep a pack of batteries strapped next to my belly and under my warm clothing. I would switch the battery packs from the camera to under my clothes. The battery packs would last a bit longer.

Cold and humid weather - Same issue with batteries. After shoots, I'll just ziploc the camera and lenses with silica gel, just to get rid of humidity.

Hot and dry weather - I was in Australia. Mornings and afternoons are really unbearable. Dust kicks up really bad. So, keeping the camera under wraps is a good idea. Take it out when needed.

Hot and humid weather - Silica and ziploc.

If you are planning a trip to Genting, maybe bringing a pack of silica gel would be a good idea.

Any other contributions? Or corrections?

I was in Scotland (very cold and dry). Did not notice my rechargeable batts lasting shorter.

The last time I went to Cameron Highlands with some rechargeable batteries. Half of them went flat after 3 days there.

hi guys... err... actually I am more concern on whether the weather will spoil the digi cam ie moisture gets into the cam causing rust, mal-function etc... or increasing the chances of fungus growth...

thanx vinc anyway..

Originally posted by blurboiboi
    hi guys... err... actually I am more concern on whether the weather will spoil the digi cam ie moisture gets into the cam causing rust, mal-function etc... or increasing the chances of fungus growth...

thanx vinc anyway..
    Well... if you don't get too excited and drop your camera, you should be just fine.

The moisture can be reduced by keeping your camera in a ziploc bag with silcia gel. Do this when you get back to the hotel and leave it over night.

Best solution and answer I can think of right now.

Just two notes:

1. Fungus takes about 3 months to grow. If you have a dry box at home, putting it back in there when you get back after a week should be ok. If you really must keep it dry, the ziploc and gel solution is a good and cheap one. Personally, i shoot even in heavy rain i S'pore, just taking care not to wet the lens in front because it will smudge the picture. i rest secure knowing at night, it goes back into my drybox.

2. *Sudden* change in temperature, namely cold to warm, causes a lot of condensation - if you wear specs, you'd know what i mean. If you take care not to move your dgicam from sudden cold to warm, i think u can protect your investment a bit longer. You might want to consider all-weather camera for your next upgrade. (No, i'm not affiliated to Minolta.) Environment protection for cameras is usually expensive. Cannot expect a cheap digicam to be that tough. [Sorry, that was a general statement. i'm not saying your digicam is cheap. In fact, i don't know what you're using.]

cyke
    Guests

Originally posted by ST1100
    You might want to consider all-weather camera for your next upgrade. (No, i'm not affiliated to Minolta.)
    Just curious, why did you specifically mention Minolta? Are their cameras all all-weather? I had in mind the new Olympus mju

thanx guys... i guess i will never leave home w/o a ziplock and a bag of silica gel.. : )

Originally posted by cyke
    Just curious, why did you specifically mention Minolta? Are their cameras all all-weather? I had in mind the new Olympus mju
    AFAIK, only minolta's mju and Canon's 1D and 1Ds have claimed weather-resistance. Minolta just comes to mind when one thinks of all-weather digicams.