Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Camera on board the plane

Default Re: Camera on board the plane

Can the DSLR take the X-ray upon checkin?

Quote Originally Posted by monktian View Post
    Been through multiple times with no ill effects, together with lenses, memory cards and batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by monktian View Post
    This thread is suppose to be about the altitudes that commercial aircrafts cruise at and the pressure that is felt in the plane. It isn't a thread about putting DSLR through x-rays despite the fact that this is a photography forum.

P.S.: I would just like to take this opportunity to thank sunnyday and Snoweagle for keeping my nights in Kota Kinabalu entertaining. If it wasn't for the constant bickering between the 2 of you about cruising altitudes and changing pressures in the cabin, I'm sure my life would be alot more meaningless than it already is.

P.P.S.: Yep, DSLR can take X-ray upon check-in. I do it all the time too. No problems so far.

hmmmm

err i even have videos of take offs and landings .....

what i brought on the plane ..... 17-55, 70-200, tcx2, 40D+10-22
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

Quote Originally Posted by thengz View Post
    This thread is suppose to be about the altitudes that commercial aircrafts cruise at and the pressure that is felt in the plane. It isn't a thread about putting DSLR through x-rays despite the fact that this is a photography forum.

P.S.: I would just like to take this opportunity to thank sunnyday and Snoweagle for keeping my nights in Kota Kinabalu entertaining. If it wasn't for the constant bickering between the 2 of you about cruising altitudes and changing pressures in the cabin, I'm sure my life would be alot more meaningless than it already is.

P.P.S.: Yep, DSLR can take X-ray upon check-in. I do it all the time too. No problems so far.
    Now u're entertaining me!
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

haha interesting posts.

Well from what I know, one should not use their camera during takeoff or landing, since it is considered as an electrical appliance. According to FAA(Federal Aviation Administration), *all* electrical appliances are to be switched off.
    So basically those tonnes of videos showing takeoff and landing, are in violation of the rule, and it was done probably in secret or discretely.

Why bother over the altitude when it won't really spoil your camera? Haha, you know NASA uses Nikon camera and lenses in space? Now talking about 0 gravity.

Basically, cabin pressure is set to about air pressure at around 8000ft. And yes the fuselage can really take the pressure difference. Cabin pressure rarely goes beyond that range, because no passenger likes to have their lungs inflated. Unless* cabin pressurisation system is set to Manual instead of Auto(in the cockpit), but that's quite a rare thing.

Flying altitudes vary, but I guess both Snoweagle and sunnyday got them quite right lah. Short sectors, say Singapore-KL, the plane would probably fly at 13000-22000ft. And for long haul flights, say Singapore-London Heathrow, probably around 32000ft or FL320.
    Anyway, I've got plenty of Flight Data Information Sheets (FDIS), can let you guys do reference cos I fly quite frequently. Haha.
    Last edited by gymak90; 30th May 2008 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post
    According to FAA(Federal Aviation Authority), *all* electrical appliances are to be switched off.
    "Attention all passengers. We're about to start our approach to Changi Airport. Please remove batteries from your watches and turn off your pacemakers. Ambulance team will be available to revive any heart patients after landing."
    Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post
    Haha, you know NASA uses Nikon camera and lenses in space? Now talking about 0 gravity.
    This is a thread about cabin pressure and cruising altitude and just about all things related to a commercial airplane, not effect of zero gravity, you know If you experience free fall in a commercial plane, camera safety is probably not the #1 thing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    "Attention all passengers. We're about to start our approach to Changi Airport. Please remove batteries from your watches and turn off your pacemakers. Ambulance team will be available to revive any heart patients after landing."
    Haha, with some praticality please? Yes all electrical appliances, those that are portable, those that you can hold in your hand have to be switched off. Except of course for essential items, like pacemakers.
    The idea why it is a requirement to turn electrical appliances off, is to ensure no electromagnetic waves are emitted. This prevents possible interference with the normal working of navigation systems on board.
    So strictly speaking, a watch, digital ones will emit electromagnetic waves, in fact all electrical appliances do. Just that the strength of the wave will be very very weak.

Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    This is a thread about cabin pressure and cruising altitude and just about all things related to a commercial airplane, not effect of zero gravity, you know If you experience free fall in a commercial plane, camera safety is probably not the #1 thing to worry about.
    I wonder what will an altimeter display when you are in space. I should phrase it properly that out in space, you have near 0 air pressure, so if you are afraid that the lower air pressure (compared to pressure at ground level)in the cabin would affect your camera in any way.
    Then using that example, I don't reckon a camera will be affected when it is in a low air pressure environment?
    Haha, if you experience free fall in a commercial plane, I guess there is nothing much you can do? Hopefully you have seat belts buckled at all times?

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Now u're entertaining me!
    I try my best! Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by thengz View Post
    I try my best! Keep up the good work!
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

400D on board

ooh which port is this in what country?

Looks like Singapore lei.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    anywais, slightly off OT topic... but what abt DSLRs in the un-pressurized luggage compartments? don't think anything should happen right? since SLRs aren't exactly airtight and pressure changes due to altitude increase are pretty much gradual, thus making a pressure build-up within the camera body's cavity quite unlikely....
    Uh, your camera shouldn't even be checked in; it should be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiver View Post
    Perhaps the airlines are afraid your tiny devices are triggers for the bomb you have in the cargo hull? If u blow up a plane in mid air and take everyone onboard with you, that's sad. But if you blow up the plane during take off or landing, we might be forced to close the airport for a day or two. Imagine the financial losses if that happens. So passengers, turn off all your iTriggers during take-offs and landings. We'll take our chances with you in mid flight
    Sure.

Took these pictures from a plane on a long flight. Never saw ice sheets before in my life and it was another of God's beautiful creations

The air crew did not seem to mind at all.

Blog Entries

This thread has served its purpose in answering the TS question. Thread close before it becomes a coffee shop talk session.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234