Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 76

Thread: Camera on board the plane

  1. #41

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    ok, so in the end, how true and how correct is the instruction that we have to switch off the cameras (rather than be careful of the handling of the camera) during take off and landing?
    All airlines will instruct that *all* electronic devices be switched off, regardless of whether they actually interfere with flight electronics or not, because it is far easier to give a blanket advise then to actually say "Please switch off all electronic devices which transmits signals which may interfere with the aircraft's operations". Telling people that "cameras are ok" has the real likelihood of camera phone users insisting on switching their phones on because they are merely going to use the camera function.

    I, for one, has regularly used both consumer and DSLR on my flights, including during take-off and landing. Not a single flight attendent has ever asked me to switch them off, compared to one instance when I forgot to switch my mobile phone off and was quickly advised to do so by a watchful SQ flight attendant just before take-off.

  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    Perhaps the airlines are afraid your tiny devices are triggers for the bomb you have in the cargo hull? If u blow up a plane in mid air and take everyone onboard with you, that's sad. But if you blow up the plane during take off or landing, we might be forced to close the airport for a day or two. Imagine the financial losses if that happens. So passengers, turn off all your iTriggers during take-offs and landings. We'll take our chances with you in mid flight

  3. #43

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    It is correct, switch off all electrical devices during take-off and landing, and you can use your camera anytime on the plane before, in between and after just like how you would in public.
    yup. Actually it is reasonable to keep your heavy DSLR during take off and landing. Not everyone fly as well, I for one HATES flying and taking off and landing is pretty stressing. If my neighbour passenger is carrying a heavy unsecured DSLR, it is DEFINITELY dangerous if there anything goes wrong during take off and landing.

    Most flights insists that heavy stuff like laptop and hand carry and DLSRs have to be secured during take off and landing.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    Wow... Guys... I'm shocked to see 3 pages on this! Thanks! I think I got my answer.

  5. #45

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Wow... Guys... I'm shocked to see 3 pages on this! Thanks! I think I got my answer.
    That makes 2 of us!

    And remember kids, All Your Base Are Belong To Us!

  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bedok Reservoir
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    most aircraft normally tries to maintain an maximum altitude of around 8000ft..it's not possible to maintain sea level pressure when it's cruising above 30000ft..the fuselage is not designed to withstand such a huge pressure differential

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyday View Post
    most aircraft normally tries to maintain an maximum altitude of around 8000ft..it's not possible to maintain sea level pressure when it's cruising above 30000ft..the fuselage is not designed to withstand such a huge pressure differential
    Nope, most commercial aircraft usually cruise around 20-30000 ft. For flight sectors which are usually short (within an hr) the cruising altitude is around 10000ft.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  8. #48

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    This thread is pretty funny. I could have sworn that I've logged on to ClubSnap and not the International Airplane Forum!

    Either way, it sure makes great entertainment!

    And my 2 cents worth: Pressure definitely isn't constant in the cabin. Constant pressure might be the aim of what the aircraft engineers what to achieve, but as we all know, nobody and nothing is perfect, thus it is impossible to have a constant pressure throughout the flight. Heck, we can even achieve constant pressure in the elevator!

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Wow... Guys... I'm shocked to see 3 pages on this! Thanks! I think I got my answer.
    Hehehe, and what was your question actually?
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bedok Reservoir
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    i rest my case

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Nope, most commercial aircraft usually cruise around 20-30000 ft. For flight sectors which are usually short (within an hr) the cruising altitude is around 10000ft.

  11. #51

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyday View Post
    i rest my case
    i think wat sunnyday meant was tt most airplane CABIN ALTITUDES are maintained at 8000ft, when the airplane itself is cruising at 39000ft for example. Hence there are still pressure changes within the cabin as the aircraft climbs.

    Anw, time to dump tt DSLR and get a fully mechanical camera. Just kidding.

    On a serious note, don't some modern cameras have wireless transmitters/WIFI etc? pls remember to switch those off in flight.

  12. #52
    Member lennyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    Quote Originally Posted by weg View Post
    On a serious note, don't some modern cameras have wireless transmitters/WIFI etc? pls remember to switch those off in flight.
    If they allow laptops to be used on flights without requiring users demonstrate that they know how to turn off wifi, I'd say the powers that be are not too worried about the 2.4 GHz spectrum.

    Just contributing to the thread with a simple question that just refuses to go away

  13. #53
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    Quote Originally Posted by weg View Post
    Anw, time to dump tt DSLR and get a fully mechanical camera. Just kidding.

    On a serious note, don't some modern cameras have wireless transmitters/WIFI etc? pls remember to switch those off in flight.
    does most DSLR have wifi?

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    Quote Originally Posted by weg View Post
    i think wat sunnyday meant was tt most airplane CABIN ALTITUDES are maintained at 8000ft, when the airplane itself is cruising at 39000ft for example. Hence there are still pressure changes within the cabin as the aircraft climbs.

    Anw, time to dump tt DSLR and get a fully mechanical camera. Just kidding.

    On a serious note, don't some modern cameras have wireless transmitters/WIFI etc? pls remember to switch those off in flight.
    U'll be surprised that the aircraft fuselage is able to withstand such pressures. I'm working in the airline industry so i fully understood what this pressure thingy's all abt.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  15. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bedok Reservoir
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    if you are working in the airline industry, then i must say i am really surprised by yr statement that says "most commercial aircraft usually cruise around 20-30000 ft. For flight sectors which are usually short (within an hr) the cruising altitude is around 10000ft."

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    U'll be surprised that the aircraft fuselage is able to withstand such pressures. I'm working in the airline industry so i fully understood what this pressure thingy's all abt.

  16. #56
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyday View Post
    if you are working in the airline industry, then i must say i am really surprised by yr statement that says "most commercial aircraft usually cruise around 20-30000 ft. For flight sectors which are usually short (within an hr) the cruising altitude is around 10000ft."
    as a laymen without any technical background, that is to my knowledge too...

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyday View Post
    if you are working in the airline industry, then i must say i am really surprised by yr statement that says "most commercial aircraft usually cruise around 20-30000 ft. For flight sectors which are usually short (within an hr) the cruising altitude is around 10000ft."
    I shan't elaborate further since TS is only asking a generic question. I'll leave the technical stuff out.
    Last edited by Snoweagle; 28th May 2008 at 09:02 PM.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  18. #58

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    just bring it along with u in the cabin lah .. unless u are so sure that your camera will be in GOOD hand inside the baggage stowaway. For me, I will not allow other ppl to lay their hands on my camera .. hahaha .. but 100% confirm. there is no issue bringing camera inside the cabin.

  19. #59

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    Cabin crew, prepare for landing!

  20. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bedok Reservoir
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Camera on board the plane

    when commercial aircraft is mentioned, i assume we are talking abt the airbuses and boeings which are the 2 most common aircrafts being used now

    from my limited knowledge, typical cruising altitudes should be between 33000ft-39000ft depending on aircraft weight and ambient temperature

    short sectors like KL, probably will climb to around 20000ft-24000ft

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    as a laymen without any technical background, that is to my knowledge too...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •