Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 68

Thread: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

  1. #41

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    The write up and photos must be in same cd? ALAMAAAAAK.I newbie leh.15 year old. hehehe.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    For some works, its better view big and a distance away, like when scale is needed. But for some works, it may be nice to be viewed small and close up...therefore, I don't think the size of the submission = how serious the person is.

    I don't know, if size does matter, then only the rich artist will be awarded.

    Just my personal thought.

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardSeah View Post
    Minimum size 8R but if you submit such a tiny pix, it might show that you not serious. Last year's winning picture was WALL SIZE!

  3. #43
    Senior Member hanqiang1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tiny Red Dot...
    Posts
    2,553

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardSeah View Post
    Your colleague meaning now you also become lecturer?

    Yes good of you to defend that work. I think it was deserving winner too but many of my photographer friends could not accept it.

    ________

    And thanks to hanqiang for reminding about digital files burn to CD. I know but almost forgot about this! Phew!
    Ya... We are from NAFA... We are proud of our insitution too...

    She is a lecturer... I am a photographer cum lab assistance for NAFA

  4. #44
    Senior Member hanqiang1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tiny Red Dot...
    Posts
    2,553

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by screamedinfidelities View Post
    The write up and photos must be in same cd? ALAMAAAAAK.I newbie leh.15 year old. hehehe.
    Yes... Better to burn into same CD and the print out a hard copy to see they want or not.

  5. #45

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    Thanks alot.Good luck to all.

    (:
    Jia yo!

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    Hi, in items 4.2 it says in bold:

    The official entry form and write-up(s) must be stapled together.

    Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    Yes... Better to burn into same CD and the print out a hard copy to see they want or not.

  7. #47

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardSeah View Post
    Alamak! Want to pang sai, sh it coming out then you ask where is toilet!

    Must print out and must frame or at least mount on a board. Minimum size 8R but if you submit such a tiny pix, it might show that you not serious. Last year's winning picture was WALL SIZE!

    Apologies.. haha..didnt find the entry application form until much later.

    Then again, wouldnt you agree with me that finding a toilet at the last min prior to your impending **** leaving ur axx is just heavenly.

    Shall now go concentrate and snap some pic for the competition.

  8. #48

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    Whats the medium? Is it photography?

  9. #49
    Senior Member hanqiang1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tiny Red Dot...
    Posts
    2,553

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by Legoz View Post
    Apologies.. haha..didnt find the entry application form until much later.

    Then again, wouldnt you agree with me that finding a toilet at the last min prior to your impending **** leaving ur axx is just heavenly.

    Shall now go concentrate and snap some pic for the competition.
    Today submission you go take today? Or you are aiming for next year one?

  10. #50

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by Legoz View Post
    Apologies.. haha..didnt find the entry application form until much later.

    Then again, wouldnt you agree with me that finding a toilet at the last min prior to your impending **** leaving ur axx is just heavenly.

    Shall now go concentrate and snap some pic for the competition.
    Ha ha ha, must agree with this ;-) to some degree but if miss by even a few seconds, can be messy.

    Quick, quick, go and shoot, print, mount, burn CD, write bs story about why your photo is art... and submit. By 6pm today!!!!!! Wah stress liao.

    By way of sharing, even though I got my photo printed by Wed, it was quite a tight schedule and stressful -- because there was a possibility that my regular printer might not be able to print for me because the person might not be free and my second choice printer also cannot because machine under maintenance. And other printers say take 3 to 5 days or if want express service, pay surcharge!

    And then still have to make the frame etc, get it done by Friday because weekend the frame maker (that I use) close.

    And then just now go search all over for bubble wrap to protect.

    Wah! Mahu berak cari jamban! (Want to **** then look for toilet)

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardSeah View Post
    Ha ha ha, must agree with this ;-) to some degree but if miss by even a few seconds, can be messy.

    Quick, quick, go and shoot, print, mount, burn CD, write bs story about why your photo is art... and submit. By 6pm today!!!!!! Wah stress liao.

    By way of sharing, even though I got my photo printed by Wed, it was quite a tight schedule and stressful -- because there was a possibility that my regular printer might not be able to print for me because the person might not be free and my second choice printer also cannot because machine under maintenance. And other printers say take 3 to 5 days or if want express service, pay surcharge!

    And then still have to make the frame etc, get it done by Friday because weekend the frame maker (that I use) close.

    And then just now go search all over for bubble wrap to protect.

    Wah! Mahu berak cari jamban! (Want to **** then look for toilet)
    u just made it sounds like they take "presentation" of the photo as 50% of the overrall score.

    and btw are you sure the previous owner printed the wall size print or was it printed by UOB themselves after the selection?
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 6th July 2008 at 03:11 PM.

  12. #52

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    u just made it sounds like they take "presentation" of the photo as 50% of the overrall score.

    and btw are you sure the previous owner printed the wall size print or was it printed by UOB themselves after the selection?
    My feeling is that they judge the entire presentation and not just the image. All the winning and exhibited entries last year were properly framed, none anyhow mount on cardboard. And all quite big. But in 2006 there was at least one 8R entry mounted on cardboard chosen for exhibition.

    Lat year's winner, my friends and I reckon the frame itself probably cost about $1K. It was HUGE! Few feet x few feet, not counted in inches! Perhaps the ex-student / present colleague can enlighten?

    And not likely UOB got it re-printed and framed because it was only one week from submission to exhibition. No time to do something like that unless Monday already picked the winner, then rush and stress like mad to get it ready by Saturday exhibition opening.

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardSeah View Post
    My feeling is that they judge the entire presentation and not just the image. All the winning and exhibited entries last year were properly framed, none anyhow mount on cardboard. And all quite big. But in 2006 there was at least one 8R entry mounted on cardboard chosen for exhibition.

    Lat year's winner, my friends and I reckon the frame itself probably cost about $1K. It was HUGE! Few feet x few feet, not counted in inches! Perhaps the ex-student / present colleague can enlighten?

    And not likely UOB got it re-printed and framed because it was only one week from submission to exhibition. No time to do something like that unless Monday already picked the winner, then rush and stress like mad to get it ready by Saturday exhibition opening.
    wahaha, i would nv pay 1k for a frame let alone just for a photo competition submission.

  14. #54

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    wahaha, i would nv pay 1k for a frame let alone just for a photo competition submission.
    Neither would I.

    I pay $100+ for frame already heart and wallet pain.

    Maybe the person very confident of winning. If win $8000 (last year's prize money, this year increase to $10K because now rice and petrol etc costly) what is $1K for frame?

  15. #55
    Senior Member hanqiang1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tiny Red Dot...
    Posts
    2,553

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardSeah View Post
    My feeling is that they judge the entire presentation and not just the image. All the winning and exhibited entries last year were properly framed, none anyhow mount on cardboard. And all quite big. But in 2006 there was at least one 8R entry mounted on cardboard chosen for exhibition.

    Lat year's winner, my friends and I reckon the frame itself probably cost about $1K. It was HUGE! Few feet x few feet, not counted in inches! Perhaps the ex-student / present colleague can enlighten?

    And not likely UOB got it re-printed and framed because it was only one week from submission to exhibition. No time to do something like that unless Monday already picked the winner, then rush and stress like mad to get it ready by Saturday exhibition opening.
    Frames like that kind could cost 1k, yes... But if you find thru Chinatown, you can get frames like that for S$300... I did mine at this shop called "Da Wei Arts & Craft", excellent services and the owner is from NAFA too. He recommends his customers the type of frames for diff mediums, but of course you can custom made one.

    Anyway, during my colleague's exhibition, there were a few of those kind of frame you mention...

  16. #56
    Senior Member hanqiang1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tiny Red Dot...
    Posts
    2,553

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    wahaha, i would nv pay 1k for a frame let alone just for a photo competition submission.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardSeah View Post
    Neither would I.

    I pay $100+ for frame already heart and wallet pain.

    Maybe the person very confident of winning. If win $8000 (last year's prize money, this year increase to $10K because now rice and petrol etc costly) what is $1K for frame?
    I think for me, one year one big piece got enough works for 20 years down the road for a solo exhibition... I just submitted 3 works, the smallest 85cm square...

    If never win never mind, can keep for my future exhibition ...

  17. #57

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    Frames like that kind could cost 1k, yes... But if you find thru Chinatown, you can get frames like that for S$300... I did mine at this shop called "Da Wei Arts & Craft", excellent services and the owner is from NAFA too. He recommends his customers the type of frames for diff mediums, but of course you can custom made one.

    Anyway, during my colleague's exhibition, there were a few of those kind of frame you mention...
    Yes I know that shop and they are quite cheap. But surely that gigantic frame cannot be $300 even at cheap place?

  18. #58

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    I think for me, one year one big piece got enough works for 20 years down the road for a solo exhibition... I just submitted 3 works, the smallest 85cm square...
    WAH!!!

    And the biggest? Mine were 20x30 (inches) excluding frame. The bigger it goes, the more costly it gets.

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    I think for me, one year one big piece got enough works for 20 years down the road for a solo exhibition... I just submitted 3 works, the smallest 85cm square...

    If never win never mind, can keep for my future exhibition ...
    I will re-select everything if there is even that day after 20years.

  20. #60

    Default Re: 27th UOB Painting Of The Year Competition

    Actually, when you have entered several competitions, especially the BIG ones like UOB/ Nikon/ Epson/ B&W (the US mag), you realize that the quality of the top 10% is tremendous. Honestly, in many of these competitions, the second to fifth photos could easily have placed first, such is their technical and aesthetic quality so......it comes down to the taste of the judges.

    I believe that for us "contenders" (amat & semi-pro alike), we must keep aiming to bring our skills up to the level of CONSISTENTLY making the top 10%, the shortlist that is usually done before the winning shot is decided (ok...not strictly 10% but you get my drift...), then someday, the stars will align and one will win.

    When one takes this philosophy, one rarely criticises any winning photo..........

    Good luck to all this year. Remember to answer all your calls on Thursday!!! That is the day they notify the winners. Else......see you on sunday when we go collect back our babies....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •