Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 45678111631 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB SEASON 23: intro to Clubsnap Crazy Footy League!

Default Re: LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB SEASON 23: intro to Clubsnap Crazy Footy League!

Quote Originally Posted by domdomino View Post
    WOAH! got ur 4million player uh !

siao liao. I surrender!
    u got 5 n 6m players leh

i oni got oldies.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Default Re: LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB SEASON 23: intro to Clubsnap Crazy Footy League!

BENITEZ DREAMS OF TITLE GLORY

Rafael Benitez has watched grimly as Manchester United have claimed the Champions League and Premier League crown, and now admits winning the title with Liverpool would be his biggest achievement.

Unsurprisingly, the national euphoria surrounding United's achievements did not extend to the red half of Merseyside.

Even the club's own TV channel this week declared a 'Moscow-free zone' and ran a succession of programmes devoted to Liverpool's last Champions League triumph in Istanbul three years ago.

But Benitez has not closed his eyes to the giant steps United have made in recent weeks, and the stark reality of Liverpool's quest to win the title for the first time since 1990.

Benitez is juggling his transfer budget and working desperately to buy and sell to improve the Anfield squad.

And now he accepts that for him to bring the title back to Liverpool would be a greater achievement than winning the European Cup with Liverpool in his first season.

The Spaniard claims it would also be better than breaking Real Madrid and Barcelona's stranglehold on the Spanish league, which he achieved for Valencia before moving to Anfield.

Asked if the title would outstrip winning in Europe with Liverpool and taking the title in Spain, he said: "Yes, clearly. It is more difficult here than in Spain because the top sides spend big, big money.

"We will try to do our best and the key for me is to not talk about the title. The key is to be near the top, to be contenders. If we stay close then I think we are capable of doing it."

He added: "It is an option, for sure. We know our weaknesses and our strengths. We know where we need to improve, so we'll try to build a new team looking at these things."

But Benitez knows that United and beaten European finalists Chelsea will spend vast amounts in the summer, cash that Liverpool cannot match.

It is clear that the American owners cannot even repeat last season's buying power that brought £26million Fernando Torres to Anfield with such great success.

Benitez must raise £20-30million himself from selling stars like Scott Carson, Peter Crouch, Jermaine Pennant, Steve Finnan, John Arne Riise and Xabi Alonso. Sources even claim he can count on little more than £15million from the club.

It is a daunting prospect, but Benitez remains confident, although he is conscious not to increase expectation as happened before last season.

He said: "We showed character at the end and that's really important. We showed that in difficult times we can be good and win games.

"As a manager, it was also important for me to see how the people around the team reacted to everything.

"When you talk about a winning mentality and winning trophies, you need to see the character of your people. The season was very good in terms of knowing the people.

"We have analysed a lot of things. For example, we have conceded a lot of goals from set pieces. We need to understand why because the season before we conceded six, now it's 16, yet we're doing more or less the same things. We can improve in this area.

"We also need to keep the team scoring in open play while at the same time improving a little bit in defence. We have been really good in defence for three of four years, but I think we need to improve a little bit if we want to be at the top of the table."

In an interview to be screened on Friday on Liverpoolfc.tv, Benitez added: "During the season you must do your job with the players you have and afterwards, in the summer, you need to do your job with the staff.

"It's really important to sign the right players with the right mentality - a winning mentality. You want players who are desperate to come here and win trophies.

"We started last season well and when we had Daniel Agger before he was injured, we were playing well. But, after all the draws in mid-season, it was important to regain the confidence.

"In the end we were playing really well, winning games in a row and producing good football.

"You could see the understanding between (Steven) Gerrard and Torres, but other players were also scoring goals. We have the spine for next season and now we need to add players in certain positions."

Manchester United's stunning success and vast financial muscle has been a painful reality to check for Liverpool, with skipper Steven Gerrard claiming that his manager faces a "massive summer."

So far only Swiss free-transfer defender Philipp Degen has been signed.

WOAH! got ur 4million player uh !

siao liao. I surrender!
    aiya same as any of your skill 6 players. Just that he is younger and last longer.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner_552 View Post
    aiya same as any of your skill 6 players. Just that he is younger and last longer.
    sigh. my players all middle age. my star player 25yrs old. and he is the most expensive player. recorded 6.28million.

sigh. my players all middle age. my star player 25yrs old. and he is the most expensive player. recorded 6.28million.
    consider good lor. I see some team star players already ah pek liao lor.

Deregistered

consider good lor. I see some team star players already ah pek liao lor.
    cheesecake uncle team .. so, did u sack all ur old players?

he doing alot of major revamp. Dont play play.

Dossena To Sign For Liverpool – Marino

Udinese coach Pasquale Marino has admitted that Andrea Dossena is on the verge of completing his move to Liverpool.

The left back has been heavily linked with a move to Liverpool for a while now, and earlier this week it was reported in the Italian press that a transfer was on the horizon.

Bianconeri boss Marino has now confirmed that these stories are true.

“I think that a deal with Liverpool for Dossena is on the way,” told Radio Kiss Kiss.

“Everything is going smoothly. The requirements are in place and the player has given his consent because he wants to test himself at an important club after the season he has had.

“Our director general was in England partly because of that just two days ago.”

Dossena, who has won one cap for Italy, was also said to be attracting the interest of Juventus, however the Old Lady were apparently unwilling to match Udinese's asking price.

poor is like tat leh.

Udinese coach Pasquale Marino expects Liverpool to conclude a deal for the Serie A club's £8m-rated full-back Andrea Dossena. (Radio Kiss Kiss, 1738)

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is hoping to sign Udinese left-back Andrea Dossena. (The Times)

Thomas Ince, 16-year-old son of ex-England star and MK Dons manager Paul Ince, has signed for Liverpool. (Daily Star)

Robbie Fowler and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink are set to leave Ninian Park before next season, according to Cardiff City chairman Peter Ridsdale. (Daily Telegraph)

Deregistered

Not Selling Dirty Kite?

Not Selling Dirty Kite?
    raf999's lover leh!

Bristol City's Dele Adebola knew from an early age that he was not destined for greatness. The striker played in the same Liverpool schoolboys team as Robbie Fowler. "When it was training nights, Robbie was getting picked up by Kenny Dalglish in his Mercedes, I was being told 'that's what time it starts, you can get the bus'." (Daily Star)

Liverpool are closing in on the signing of 26-year-old Udinese left-back Andrea Dossena. (Independent)

Newcastle have tried to offload striker Obafemi Martens to Liverpool, alerting Arsenal and Chelsea to the Nigerian's availability. (The Sun)

Juventus are targeting Liverpool duo Xabi Alonso and John Arne Riise. (Italian sports paper Gazzetta dello Sport, 1056 BST)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    Bristol City's Dele Adebola knew from an early age that he was not destined for greatness. The striker played in the same Liverpool schoolboys team as Robbie Fowler. "When it was training nights, Robbie was getting picked up by Kenny Dalglish in his Mercedes, I was being told 'that's what time it starts, you can get the bus'." (Daily Star)

Liverpool are closing in on the signing of 26-year-old Udinese left-back Andrea Dossena. (Independent)

Newcastle have tried to offload striker Obafemi Martens to Liverpool, alerting Arsenal and Chelsea to the Nigerian's availability. (The Sun)

Juventus are targeting Liverpool duo Xabi Alonso and John Arne Riise. (Italian sports paper Gazzetta dello Sport, 1056 BST)
    marten come good, better den kuyt a hundred times.

marten come good, better den kuyt a hundred times.

other than voronin, not easy to find a striker worse than kuyt

Deregistered

wah lan eh, 2million defender kena outbid

RAFA TO KEEP ON SPENDING

Rafa Benitez admits Liverpool must keep on spending if they are to mount a realistic title tilt next season.

Although Liverpool finished nearer to champions Manchester United this season than the previous campaign, Benitez will be well aware his side never looked likely to challenge for top spot.

Benitez and his captain Steven Gerrard have both called for a busy summer of spending at Anfield and in highlighting Chelsea's £16.2million capture of Porto right-back Jose Bosingwa, the Reds boss accepts the chequebook needs to come out.

"Every year you must improve a lot because the other teams are doing the same," he told the club's official website.

"I think Chelsea have just spent £16million on a right-back, even though they got to the (Champions League) final.

"This year we have improved a lot. We signed two or three really good players, and also players who've been good for the club."

Liverpool's season has been played out against an unsettling backdrop of boardroom wranglings and rumours of Benitez being axed.

The Spaniard concedes it has been a difficult campaign on Merseyside but he remains confident the club has made strides to narrow the gap on their Premier League rivals.

"Yes, it's clearly been difficult, special and different, but at the end of the day we tried to manage.

"It's not a perfect season because you need to win trophies but it's not bad because we finished in the top four in the Premier League and Europe.

"Not the best, but not as bad as it could be."

REDS DUO ON TARGET FOR HOLLAND

Dirk Kuyt staked his claim for inclusion in Holland squad for Euro 2008 with the opening goal in a comfortable 3-0 win over Ukraine on Saturday.

The Liverpool striker has been included in Marco van Basten's 26-man preliminary party but, having been left out of the squad for the friendlies at the start of the year, is still fighting to seal his place on the plane to Austria and Switzerland.

He did his chances no harm though with a fine header midway through the first half before fellow frontman Klaas-Jan Huntelaar doubled the Dutch lead.

Another Liverpool man, Ryan Babel, rounded off the victory after the break.

LIVERPOOL GO IN SEARCH OF A WINGER

Each of the three major Sunday tabs are linking Liverpool with a winger. None of whom are the same.

Let's begin with the News of the World. It reckons that Pool are 'completing a £13million double swoop for Italian defender Andrea Dossena and Spain and Espanyol left winger Albert Riera.'

If we tell you that Riera is rated at £5m then we are reasonably confident you should be able to work out how much Dossena would cost.

The People, however, claims that Rafa Benitez 'will make a £12million bid to sign England star David Bentley from Blackburn - and be told to come back with more cash.'

In short, Rovers want around £15m for the England winger - a sum that may be too much for Benitez to countenance even after selling Jermaine Pennant.

The Sunday Mirror, on the other hand, announces that 'Liverpool have made a sensational swoop for Portsmouth's £15million-rated Niko Kranjcar.

'Manager Rafa Benitez is trying to tie Kranjcar into a deal that has already been agreed for Peter Crouch to move back to the South Coast side this summer from Anfield.

'Pompey boss Harry Redknapp has fixed an £8m fee for Crouch, but Benitez now wants to offer his bean-pole striker plus cash to lure the 23-year-old Croatian away from Fratton Park.'

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez will listen to offers for Alvaro Arbeloa, Jermaine Pennant and Steve Finnan as he looks to raise funds for new signings. (Mail on Sunday)

Xabi Alonso, Peter Crouch, Scott Carson and John Arne Riise are also available as Benitez hopes to raise £50m in sales to bolster the £20m he has been given to spend by the club's owners. (News of the World)

Arsenal, Portsmouth, Liverpool, Everton, Manchester City, Tottenham and Middlesbrough are all interested in Valencia midfielder Edu. (Sunday Mirror)

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez will not use the number seven in his squad next year because of the pressure it puts on players to live up to previous incumbents like Kevin Keegan and Kenny Dalglish. (News of the World)

Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 45678111631 ... LastLast