Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: My Frequent Model

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakeside, Singapore
    Posts
    289

    Default My Frequent Model

    This little homeless cat lives downstairs at our HDB and has become my tireless model for testing out new lenses and equipment. She is unsually docile for a stray cat and seems to get along very well with all the shop keepers who feed her constantly.

    At any rate, it can be difficult to get an animal to look directly into the lens and I was fortunate to capture this shot out of the twenty others where she had her eyes closed (she loves sleeping in this heat).

    This picture was captured without a tripod using the following:

    Nikon D60, 18-200mm VR2 at 200mm, f/5.6, ISO400.

    Minimal post processing for white balance and contrast was done in LightRoom 1.4.
    Minor cropping was done in PhotoShop CS3.

    Thanks for viewing!

    Cameras: Rollei 35, Rolleiflex-T, FinePix F700, Nikon D60, D300
    Pics: Churchwolf's Album.

  2. #2

    Default Re: My Frequent Model

    i like how the eyes is looking at the viewer. maybe you can try a tighter crop?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakeside, Singapore
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: My Frequent Model

    Quote Originally Posted by HTCahHTC View Post
    i like how the eyes is looking at the viewer. maybe you can try a tighter crop?
    I will give it a try. I was a little worried about making the image feel "trapped". I'll see how it turns out. Thanks!
    Cameras: Rollei 35, Rolleiflex-T, FinePix F700, Nikon D60, D300
    Pics: Churchwolf's Album.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: My Frequent Model

    Nice pic!!

    looks so laid back and relaxed. everything looks great, perhaps alittle more positioning of the cat to the right giving more space on the left. Nevertheless i think this picture is complete

  5. #5

    Default Re: My Frequent Model

    Not sure which focal length was used for this image but the perspective seems to be off (the head looks too big compared to what is behind it, which would happen if you shot this at at a wideangle length). You might want to back away and zoom in and get a flatter perspective.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakeside, Singapore
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: My Frequent Model

    Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    Nice pic!!

    looks so laid back and relaxed. everything looks great, perhaps alittle more positioning of the cat to the right giving more space on the left. Nevertheless i think this picture is complete
    Thanks for the positive feedback! I do agree with you that animals need "room to move" in the frame. Will try and not frame it quite so tight next time.

    Quote Originally Posted by nmk View Post
    Not sure which focal length was used for this image but the perspective seems to be off (the head looks too big compared to what is behind it, which would happen if you shot this at at a wideangle length). You might want to back away and zoom in and get a flatter perspective.
    As the EXIF data for the image says, this was shot at 200mm (the maximum focal lenght available for that lens), so I'm not really sure how much more I can zoom in? The cat does have a tendancy to "flatten" its back when it's lying there, so perhaps that is what is making it look like that?
    Cameras: Rollei 35, Rolleiflex-T, FinePix F700, Nikon D60, D300
    Pics: Churchwolf's Album.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: My Frequent Model

    Quote Originally Posted by nmk View Post
    Not sure which focal length was used for this image but the perspective seems to be off (the head looks too big compared to what is behind it, which would happen if you shot this at at a wideangle length). You might want to back away and zoom in and get a flatter perspective.
    Think it looks fine. Not sure about what you're referring to because the perspective looks plenty flattering to me. This was already shot at 200mm, according to TS' exif data.

  8. #8

    Default Re: My Frequent Model

    nice pic.

    the cat is laid back maybe becos it was just sterilized by SPCA. lol... noticed the cropped ear. hehe.

  9. #9
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ClubSNAP community
    Posts
    2,775

    Default Re: My Frequent Model

    I rarely post in CC.... but....

    This is a well done pic of a stray. Not only have you captured the eyes in focus, you have also managed to control your DOF well enough to give a pleasing touch to the rest of the pic.

    I won't worry or bother about a closer crop, as this just happens to be one of the instances where a centre-framed cat face is just fine. The picture has a sense of place, and space. And you caught the boy with his attention focused on you... probably perturbed by "what's that black tube pointing in my face".

  10. #10

    Default Re: My Frequent Model

    Good photograph

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakeside, Singapore
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: My Frequent Model

    Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    I rarely post in CC.... but....

    This is a well done pic of a stray. Not only have you captured the eyes in focus, you have also managed to control your DOF well enough to give a pleasing touch to the rest of the pic.

    I won't worry or bother about a closer crop, as this just happens to be one of the instances where a centre-framed cat face is just fine. The picture has a sense of place, and space. And you caught the boy with his attention focused on you... probably perturbed by "what's that black tube pointing in my face".
    Thanks Azure for the supportive comments! I do feel that the zoom on the lens made this particular image significantly easier to capture. I think I would have had a rather harder time with my 50mm prime... And now that you have brought this up, I do wonder what goes through a cat's head when it sees someone pointing a big black tube at it...perhaps it was silently hoping some manner of food would result?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elgaris View Post
    Good photograph
    Thanks Elgaris, I appreciate it.
    Cameras: Rollei 35, Rolleiflex-T, FinePix F700, Nikon D60, D300
    Pics: Churchwolf's Album.

  12. #12

    Default Re: My Frequent Model

    I guess personally I would have gone with a slighty tighter crop putting the cats face towards the right side of the frame but i guess this works too. The eye contact does work very well for this one and draws you in nicely.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakeside, Singapore
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: My Frequent Model

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    I guess personally I would have gone with a slighty tighter crop putting the cats face towards the right side of the frame but i guess this works too. The eye contact does work very well for this one and draws you in nicely.
    Thanks for the positive comments! I actually played with tighter cropping a bit, but had trouble creating the effect that I wanted without making the pic seem too "empty". I guess that's where personal preference comes in...
    Cameras: Rollei 35, Rolleiflex-T, FinePix F700, Nikon D60, D300
    Pics: Churchwolf's Album.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •