Thread: Prayers ...

Default Prayers ...

Shot was taken during vesak day celebration on saturday.
    Photo was taken to show the belief that humans have in their own faith, seeking solace in religion, believing in it, hoping for it.

Default Re: Prayers ...

hmm.. you decapitated everyone on the top of the frame.. dun think it's the best of compositions this way..

it is a well timed shot but unclear one. it lacks a clear focal point, like you mentioned yourself, "Photo was taken to show the belief that humans have in their own faith, seeking solace in religion, believing in it, hoping for it." the focus was the candles which was in fact a prop to the subject.

i propose that you focused on the praying man to achieve his sharp silhouette outline with the incessant blur of the candles in the background. the unwanted people will also be OOF or can be cropped off.

because the man was oof, the chunk of soft image becomes an unwanted attention rather than its opposite.

you could also raise the camera higher and tried off-the-viewfinder snapping try your luck. a different perspective from above might work better.

i dont see a problem with the subject being placed centrally but if that is preferred, try to balance out both sides of the image to make it symmetrical and that includes adjusting slants in the horizon.

i like this picture for its photojournalistic nature if not for the backfocusing issues. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ssping83 View Post
    hmm.. you decapitated everyone on the top of the frame.. dun think it's the best of compositions this way..
    Didnt have much space to move about which resulted in the below original pic.
    Wanted to frame in the Buddha in the background and got myself stuck here.
    So it was a total disaster in the first place..

would it be better to corp it off right at the end of the table then to have only the candle lights and the man in the picture??

i say no.

i find the original shot too cluttered as well. if you were to include the buddha, it should have been a portrait framing.

you see, the original cuts off the buddha's head, the first pic above cuts off the people head. your option to crop off at the edge of the table you cut off the person's fingers.

i didnt enjoy viewing the picture because of the backfocus, this picture might not be salvaged perhaps but dont take it too hard, can always try again. many a times i shoot alot but end up with less than 10 pictures that i thought could make it. thats the plus point for digital photography

just keep shooting and whacking, delete what you find not pleasing to yourself then demand a better one from yourself. my shutter count already racked up to 10908 ( i serviced the camera ytd), i bought it in 15th jan..haha

shoot and practice more!~

You might as well crop or focus on the candles out or the guy yawning there to make a more interesting shot...
    Last edited by blive; 21st May 2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

just my 2 cents worth. were you focusing on the guy? cos i find the guy way too distracting. the crop pic is better than the original pic, as it cut off the buddha's statue in the original pic. what if you have applied rule of third and taken the shot from the side of the guy, and the rest of the frame were the lights? i believe it would have been better at telling your story.

Quote Originally Posted by HTCahHTC View Post
    just my 2 cents worth. were you focusing on the guy? cos i find the guy way too distracting. the crop pic is better than the original pic, as it cut off the buddha's statue in the original pic. what if you have applied rule of third and taken the shot from the side of the guy, and the rest of the frame were the lights? i believe it would have been better at telling your story.
    true, but the impact of the mass number of candles would not be as effective

Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    true, but the impact of the mass number of candles would not be as effective
    true, didn't thought of that. thanks.