Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Using Filters with non-IF lens

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    1,105

    Default Using Filters with non-IF lens

    Hi....

    was wondering if the usage of those non-screw-on type of filters (i.e. those that come with a filter holder and squarish/rectangularish filters) is possible with non-Internal Focus lens? Will the filter holder rotate along with the lens when focusing?

    Thanls!!
    G

  2. #2

    Default Re: Using Filters with non-IF lens

    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla60 View Post
    Hi....

    was wondering if the usage of those non-screw-on type of filters (i.e. those that come with a filter holder and squarish/rectangularish filters) is possible with non-Internal Focus lens? Will the filter holder rotate along with the lens when focusing?

    Thanls!!
    Depends on whether the filter thread on the lens rotates when you focus or not. If it does, then you should focus first, hold on to the focus and then rotate the filter holder to the correct orientation you require.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Using Filters with non-IF lens

    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla60 View Post
    Hi....

    was wondering if the usage of those non-screw-on type of filters (i.e. those that come with a filter holder and squarish/rectangularish filters) is possible with non-Internal Focus lens? Will the filter holder rotate along with the lens when focusing?

    Thanls!!
    Yes bro, it's usable. There are a couple of Alpha users using this type of filters too. You should join us more often in outings.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    1,105

    Default Re: Using Filters with non-IF lens

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Depends on whether the filter thread on the lens rotates when you focus or not. If it does, then you should focus first, hold on to the focus and then rotate the filter holder to the correct orientation you require.
    mine seems to rotate when focussing.....
    G

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    1,105

    Default Re: Using Filters with non-IF lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Yes bro, it's usable. There are a couple of Alpha users using this type of filters too. You should join us more often in outings.
    cool.....i'd like to but usually the outings take place when i am unavailable....

    but do they use it when auto-focussing too? or are their lens the IF type?
    G

  6. #6
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Using Filters with non-IF lens

    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla60 View Post
    cool.....i'd like to but usually the outings take place when i am unavailable....

    but do they use it when auto-focussing too? or are their lens the IF type?
    Personally, my lenses are not the IF type and I would focus first then adjust the filter accordingly thereafter, since it's quite easy to rotate the filters.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  7. #7

    Default Re: Using Filters with non-IF lens

    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla60 View Post
    mine seems to rotate when focussing.....
    Then you need to focus first then rotate the filter to the orientation you require, otherwise get a lens where the filter ring doesn't rotate when you focus.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •