Thread: Fast Primes.

Question Fast Primes.

Hey guys,

I just recently bought the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF-D and have been having a ball with it. It's a beautiful lens with fantastic bokeh but, at f/1.8, is a bit of a difficult beast to focus manually on my D60 (given the extremely shallow focusing plane). I have been thinking of getting the new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM which will focus on my D60.

I was wondering if anybody has purchased this lens yet and has had any experience with it? How fast/reliable is the focus at f/1.4? Perhaps you could post a few pics?
    Cameras: Rollei 35, Rolleiflex-T, FinePix F700, Nikon D60, D300
    Pics: Churchwolf's Album.

Default Re: Fast Primes.

I'm also anxious to hear some input on that new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM. I'm now waiting for a 50 f/1.8 to test on indoor basketball and if not totally satisfied Sigma here I come, but first some revues.
    Andre
    To Go Where No Man Has Gone Before :cool:

Quote Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
    I'm also anxious to hear some input on that new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM. I'm now waiting for a 50 f/1.8 to test on indoor basketball and if not totally satisfied Sigma here I come, but first some revues.
    Ha ha. Don't get me wong, the Nikkor f/1.8 is freaking fantastic. I love this thing. It is so tiny and take incredible pictures...but I do want my extra stop of light! Not to mention autofocus. Particularly for quick focusing (while I love manual focus), I'm just not good enough, or reliable enough, to always get the pics I want!

Why focus manually then?

Without a split prism focusing screen, manual focus is just plain difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchwolf View Post
    Hey guys,

I just recently bought the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF-D and have been having a ball with it. It's a beautiful lens with fantastic bokeh but, at f/1.8, is a bit of a difficult beast to focus manually on my D60 (given the extremely shallow focusing plane). I have been thinking of getting the new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM which will focus on my D60.

I was wondering if anybody has purchased this lens yet and has had any experience with it? How fast/reliable is the focus at f/1.4? Perhaps you could post a few pics?

Is the sigma 50mm f1.4 out already?

Hey guys,

f/1.x primes are uber cool! However, I find them best for static subjects. Wide open, even 1cm movement can make the diff between an excellent shot, and one that's destined for the bin. Both you and subject (if it's a person) will have to be patient because getting a good lock on focus and checking on accuracy takes a bit more care and time than an f/3.5 or f2.8 lens.

Make use of your camera's multi-focus point. Do NOT use the centre focus point, AF-lock and re-compose. When you shift the camera, you actually alter the subject-to-camera distance.

I myself just got an 85mm f/1.4. Insanely hard to use wide-open when people are moving about. But am slowly getting the hang of it...
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    Why focus manually then?

Without a split prism focusing screen, manual focus is just plain difficult.
    Since this lens is not an AF-S or AF-I lens it cannot be focused automatically on D40, D40x or D60. These cameras need lenses that have an in-built focuing drive. The D60 has an in-built digital rangefinder which makes manual focusing pretty darn easy, but at f/1.8 your focal plane is so thin that it is easy to miss it or to be focusing on the wrong part of your subject.

Quote Originally Posted by cereal View Post
    Is the sigma 50mm f1.4 out already?
    From what I can tell it has just come out. Cathay Photo provided me with an e-quote for the lens so it, while they say it isn't available locally it would seem that they have access to it...

Since this lens is not an AF-S or AF-I lens it cannot be focused automatically on D40, D40x or D60. These cameras need lenses that have an in-built focuing drive. The D60 has an in-built digital rangefinder which makes manual focusing pretty darn easy, but at f/1.8 your focal plane is so thin that it is easy to miss it or to be focusing on the wrong part of your subject.

From what I can tell it has just come out. Cathay Photo provided me with an e-quote for the lens so it, while they say it isn't available locally it would seem that they have access to it...
    even with the built in distance scale, i think its gonna be tough without a split prism screen.

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    even with the built in distance scale, i think its gonna be tough without a split prism screen.
    Don't worry.. The D60 has an electronic rangefinder.

There is a thread for this lens if you didn't notice.

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 User Group
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Nah, the digital rangefinder in the D60 is actually pretty good. It isn't just the little green dot found in the D40 (though it has that too) but it actually hijacks the exposure meter and uses it to tell you how far in/out of focus you are. It's usually pretty spot on, but it is true that a split prism screen would also be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    There is a thread for this lens if you didn't notice.

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 User Group
    Yea, but I was more interested in the 50mm version. I realise they are similar, but I was more after a direct comparison on this particular lens...

split screen still rules

Take care of your eyesight and do not overstrain them
    That is one of the reason why I do not encourage people to buy D40, D40x and D60.
    They are very good cameras, but when it comes to non AFS lens, you can only manual focus. It is perfectly fine, if we try out manual focus once in a while, but for long term usage AF is still my choice.

Hopefully, the Sigma 50mm f1.4 will be a good alternative for you.

AF is the way to go for long term use, thats why i'm been thinking about the sigma 30mm f1.4
    MF is more for marco and still-live objects.
    would be good if nikon at least AF-I the nikon 50mm...
    Last edited by Simon_84; 17th July 2008 at 09:12 AM.