Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Wat if...

  1. #1
    Member sunboi80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    West of SG
    Posts
    743

    Default Wat if...

    I just read this in mypaper forum i think it would be good to put it as a discussion here..
    Someone was wondering wat would singaporeans do if a disaster like the szechuan earthquake (something like that, no need to be earthquake) were to strike singapore.. afterall we are pretty used to being 'fortunate'...

    wat are ur views??
    ;) L-plate Photog: I come, I see, I shoot

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Wat if...

    Quote Originally Posted by sunboi80 View Post
    I just read this in mypaper forum i think it would be good to put it as a discussion here..
    Someone was wondering wat would singaporeans do if a disaster like the szechuan earthquake (something like that, no need to be earthquake) were to strike singapore.. afterall we are pretty used to being 'fortunate'...

    wat are ur views??
    Hotel New World...

    you may or may not remember that...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  3. #3
    Member sunboi80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    West of SG
    Posts
    743

    Default Re: Wat if...

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Hotel New World...

    you may or may not remember that...
    yeah i rem tat though i was still very young that time... i wonder what would be the response of us (esp the younger generation now) Fight or Flight?
    ;) L-plate Photog: I come, I see, I shoot

  4. #4
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Wat if...

    Quote Originally Posted by sunboi80 View Post
    yeah i rem tat though i was still very young that time... i wonder what would be the response of us (esp the younger generation now) Fight or Flight?
    If you have wings you'll choose Flight.

  5. #5
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Wat if...

    Quote Originally Posted by sunboi80 View Post
    yeah i rem tat though i was still very young that time... i wonder what would be the response of us (esp the younger generation now) Fight or Flight?
    It all depends on the individual. Do you have loved ones involved. If you do, your tendency would be to fight and work on it.

    If no, and there's nothing to hold you back, there would be a high tendency to flight...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  6. #6

    Default Re: Wat if...

    Quote Originally Posted by sunboi80 View Post
    yeah i rem tat though i was still very young that time... i wonder what would be the response of us (esp the younger generation now) Fight or Flight?
    shouldn't there be a third option, i.e. Sit On The Floor And Cry aka do nothing?

    just being realistic that's all. this is the platter mentality generation after all - i.e. everything must be handed to us on a silver platter, even respect.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Wat if...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    If you have wings you'll choose Flight.
    some got wings oso cant fly, too heavy!...

    if such event were to unfold, most would blame gahmen (called pass e buck game) for not taking adequate safeguards, few could carry on as per norm if power & water is disrupted (Hotel New World maybe abit far back, major power disruption in 2004 would still be vivid in minds of those affected), even less will take it in their stride to help neighbours affected if they emerge unscarved...

    in our tiny island, with an increasing population, the tussle for basic items could rear its ugly head in a short time. examples of such instances abound even in peaceful times.

    this may not even be a fight or flight question as our homes & belongs are here. it more like to how to carry on daily as smoothly as possible. or how long will it take for us to resume life as before (resilience).

    but this is just my opinion (2cents worth).

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Wat if...

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    It all depends on the individual. Do you have loved ones involved. If you do, your tendency would be to fight and work on it.

    If no, and there's nothing to hold you back, there would be a high tendency to flight...

    i think the lack of financial resources will hold many back? how many have another home in another country? wad if that other home oso affected (touch wood)? mayb the nx reality TV could show us how fast a family can pack-up & leave...

    v few would bear to leave their precious (lenses, car, priceless collection of wadever) behind. ready bags the size of 15-feet container any1? i'll ask my neighbour help hand carry!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Wat if...

    i like the way u write "fortunate" ... so what are ur thots about that?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Wat if...

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Hotel New World...

    you may or may not remember that...
    the hotel new world incident was a small case compare to the 7.9 earthquake in szechuan.

    like comparing banana and a baton.
    Objection !!!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Wat if...

    "fortunate" may mean our country is geographically unaffected by natural calamities.

  12. #12
    Member sunboi80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    West of SG
    Posts
    743

    Default Re: Wat if...

    yeah "fortunate" means living in a country w/o much natural disasters and of cos used to "spoon feeding"...

    Thinking about night86mare opinions, i wonder how many of us would volunteer and help out (like many chinese), like taxi drivers spending the whole day ferrying relief items, directing traffic and even helping the rescue effort. OR... we will just sit down there and wait....and grumble "how come like tat, why govt didn't do this, why didn't do that, why so slow... blah blah blah"
    ;) L-plate Photog: I come, I see, I shoot

  13. #13

    Default Re: Wat if...

    Quote Originally Posted by sunboi80 View Post
    we will just sit down there and wait....and grumble "how come like tat, why govt didn't do this, why didn't do that, why so slow... blah blah blah"
    i think we are less driven, probably because of the "more fortunate" point, which leads to my platter mentality point. too many things are taken for granted, and certainly one is going to be rather fair if he says that there are compromises made.. but there are always compromises. life is one big compromise after all.

    i also wonder what will happen, actually. sometimes i also wonder if i don't want to know.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Wat if...

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i also wonder what will happen, actually. sometimes i also wonder if i don't want to know.
    not wanting to know surely cant be any more helpful. would complacency be the word to describe this or would paralysis be it. would many be at such a loss of what to do that the minds just turn blank?


  15. #15

    Default Re: Wat if...

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    not wanting to know surely cant be any more helpful. would complacency be the word to describe this or would paralysis be it. would many be at such a loss of what to do that the minds just turn blank?

    complacency would not be the word

    i was thinking more of apathy.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Wat if...

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    complacency would not be the word

    i was thinking more of apathy.
    i think u r rite, judging by the number of replies...

  17. #17
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Wat if...

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    the hotel new world incident was a small case compare to the 7.9 earthquake in szechuan.

    like comparing banana and a baton.
    Definitely small when compared to them... but we are a small country anyway... If there is a quake in tat magnitude, Singapore would be no more....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  18. #18

    Default Re: Wat if...

    true. and much as the government as emergency procedures in place. i think we'd all be too shell shocked to react.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •