Thread: Broadband Part II: Why computer hangs?

psyche
    Guests

Default Broadband Part II: Why computer hangs?

Hi,

I posted an earlier question on my newly subscribed Singtel Broadband more than a week ago. I've got a 2nd question.... hope u could kindly help me...

Ever since I installed the ADSL modem and the softwares required, I notice my computer tends to hang or freeze after I tried to shut it down. What happened is that, the screen would go blank and there was a blinking cursor at the top corner. If I waited for like 20-30 minutes, the system would eventually shut down on its own. But yesterday, it refused to shut down and I had to manually force a shutdown by turning off the main power.

It had not behaved this way before I subscribed to the Broadband. Has any of u experienced this b4? And is it ok for me to do manual shutdown all the time like that? I read it's not good for the hard disk right? If I turn back on, it will detect that there was an improper shutdown and will check for disk errors....

Thanks...

Are u using a USB modem? What is your mobo chipset? Cos I had the same problem .. had to update chipset drivers. In the end, I just got a newer PC cos that was an older AMD PC.

need the following info b4 any diagnosis,

(1) what brand/model is your PC?
    (2) what OS u r using?
    (3) what is the modem and make of your ADSL modem?
    (4) what other peripherals your have? (sound cards, network cards, etc)

if it's a USB ADSL modem, I suspect might be the USB drivers not being updated, but then from your description, it's still a bit early to tell.

psyche
    Guests

Hi,

Thanks AJ23 and Retro....

1. I'm using HP Pentium III 1 GHz PC bought almost 2 yrs ago
    2. Windows ME
    3. The USB ADSL modem is Aztech.
    4. As for accessories...no fanciful stuffs... but I plug the USB modem via a 7 'splitter' USB hub. That shouldn't affect right?

Retro, you experienced exactly as I've described? Ermmm, I'm a bit computer illiterate... what's a mobo chipset and how do u update the drivers? Thanks!

Try switching to use a dedicated USB port for the modem, that is don't share using hub.

I had a variety of problems with my modem and PC after relocating. The hanging problem was somehow resolved when I used a seperate USB port and update my chipset driver. Most mobo (motherboards) have a chipset (intel, via etc). Get the latest chipset driver from the net, and also update the USB drivers. Your modem may be USB 2.0, and I am unsure if it will cause any problems with the older USB 1.1 ports ... should not, but then again, we want to eliminate all possibilities to narrow the problem.

Give that a try. Another thing (OT a bit), Win ME is not exactly fantastic and can be unstable at times, I recommend you consider switching to Win98SE.

agree with retro.

winme is craps. especially with USB devices.
    mostly likely the fault of winme and not aztech.

one more option is to use windowsupdate and UPDAT all the neccessary things.

Oh yeah ... another thing, you want to check - is the modem ok? ie the problem does not lie with the modem ... unplug it out and then start your pc ... does it hang when u shut it down? if so, then the problem could be something else.

one quick check, do u plug in a lot of USB devices in ur USB hub, also, is the hub powered?

u can try to put it on dedicated USB port instead of the hub as Retro suggested. Sometimes it's due to the insufficient power to the various USB devices.

As a thumb of rule, used powered hubs for anything >3-4 ports, 1-2 ports hub is fine without power.

psyche
    Guests

Thanks all for the suggestions....

I will start by plugging my modem into a single USB port first and see if the problem persists. My 7-port USB hub is powered electrically though...

Yes, I've heard that Win ME is unstable. Other than this problem, I do get the occassional sudden error messages and I can't even do a Ctrl-Alt-Del reboot. Got to do so by shuting the main power.

I might just change my OS...

Thanks again everyone.

powered as in the hub has it's own power adapter?

I think WinME is fine, but XP Pro is probably better. Dun have like XP Home though.

Also, IMO, some OS like 98/98SE/ME tends to degenerate over time, ie some files got corrupted, and things will tend to get "funny" and "weird". So if u r "free", reinstall the OS once in a while for 95/98/98SE/ME.

try out the USB port thing and tell us whether it works or not.

Yes, agree with Aj32 .... XP Pro is the most ideal.

But seeing that your config is rather old, stick with 98SE or ME .. less RAM hungry

u're right. 98SE or ME is better for him.

Originally posted by Retro
    Yes, agree with Aj32 .... XP Pro is the most ideal.

But seeing that your config is rather old, stick with 98SE or ME .. less RAM hungry

P3 1Ghz is more than sufficient for WinXP pro. Just make sure you have about 256MB of ram or more.

Originally posted by psyche
    Hi,

Thanks AJ23 and Retro....

1. I'm using HP Pentium III 1 GHz PC bought almost 2 yrs ago
    2. Windows ME
    3. The USB ADSL modem is Aztech.
    4. As for accessories...no fanciful stuffs... but I plug the USB modem via a 7 'splitter' USB hub. That shouldn't affect right?

Retro, you experienced exactly as I've described? Ermmm, I'm a bit computer illiterate... what's a mobo chipset and how do u update the drivers? Thanks!
    It is not advisable for ADSL modem to be plugged into the USB hub.

The ADSL modem takes up a large percentage of the USB bandwidth and hence it is adviseable to connect the modem straight to the PC's USB port.

Since USB modems draw power from the USB port, it is advisable the port it is plugged into is not split with a hub.

Originally posted by psyche
    Thanks all for the suggestions....

I will start by plugging my modem into a single USB port first and see if the problem persists. My 7-port USB hub is powered electrically though...

Yes, I've heard that Win ME is unstable. Other than this problem, I do get the occassional sudden error messages and I can't even do a Ctrl-Alt-Del reboot. Got to do so by shuting the main power.

I might just change my OS...

Thanks again everyone.

WinME is a bad news OS.
    I installed it once to try it years back and regretted and went back to the more trusty Win98 SE.

For WinME, if your IE is corrupted, that's it. you cannot remove and re-install, because there isn't an option to remove it.

If you try to reinstall, and the corrupted IE is the latest version, the setup will stupid-ly tell you, you already have the latest version of IE and won't continue.

So you are stuck with using Netscape or hope Microsoft release a newer version of IE, so you can overwrite the current corrupted version of IE.

Use Win 95, 98, NT, 2000 and XP home and Pro at work.
    Overall XP is a pretty good OS with lots of PnP support for most digicams, scanners, USB harddisks...etc

but it is resource intensive, and anything less than a P3 should not try.

You still can get some decent performance on a P2 333 with Win2K, just add RAM till 128Mb prebably 256Mb at least.

I think the Win NT 4 server software is still quite useful, despite it is going to be no more support from Microsoft at the end of this year.

It's minimum requirement is only 486DX-66 and install it in an old Pentium PC or laptop and it will serve as a DHCP server or sorts, very well.
    Add another NIC and it can work as a "router" to share boardband connection.

Install it in an old Pentium laptop and you even get a free UPS to go along with the server. (the laptop's battery)

psyche
    Guests

Hey, thanks all for more useful advice! Been busy for the past few days.. Will try it on Fri or Sat.

The reason I used the 7 hub for most of my stuffs: scanner, diigtal cam, etc (including the modem) is that I've only 2 USB ports that came with the computer. Anyway, if it works I'll see how I can connect the modem directly into one of the two.

I bought the PC just before the XP Pro came out... Was tempted to upgrade form ME to XP but just never got round to doing it...

Ok, I'll try and update here...

psyche
    Guests

Default Yippe...

This is a follow-up of my previous 2 posts on the problems I encountered with the ADSL modem. Just to share my experience....

1st prob was I get a lot of noise from my other phones in the house which are connected using a splitter. Everytime any of these phone is picked up (NOt the one connected to my computer), there's a lot of noise and the line gets cut off! Well... not anymore! After I added an additional micro filter. thanks to all who adviced me previously.

The lady at the shop said I need 1 microfilter per phone so I bought extra... Grrr, not true at all. Any one wants to buy it for $6? Pls PM me.

2nd prob is my computer... every time i try to shut it down, a blank screen will appear with a blinking cursor at the top left corner. I tried to connect the USB directly to the computer instead of using the 7-hub USB port. But... sigh, still doesn't work. Prob bcos of my Win ME OS.