Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I improve the lifetime of laptop batteries?

Default Re: How can I improve the lifetime of laptop batteries?

keep the battery on at all times, drain it & recharge frequently?

as to most rechargeable batt, they have a rated maximum cycle of recharge. Overtime, i guess the efficiency decreases.

some laptops have this threshold for recharge algorithm. e.g. my default is less than 96%, above that, it bypasses the battery and use the AC, so no need for removal of the plug frequently.

i guess to maximise your batt performance, remove it when you're docked to AC power. say once in 2 weeks, use your batt to near dry, and recharge it again.

Deregistered

seems like quite some conflicting opinions given. ok, let's narrow down and choose which is the right way is on maximizing the battery life of current type of battery(lithium i presumed).

***please note this thread is not about maximizing the time you can use your laptop per battery charge. it's about the whole lifetime of the battery till it degrades and longer chargeable/use***

1)charged to 100% full and pluck out of the laptop to keep. charged only before wanting to use without power adapter.
    2)charged to 100% full and pluck out of the laptop to keep. recharged periodically(please stated how often).
    3)charged to 50% and pluck out of the laptop to keep.
    4)charged to 50% and pluck out of the laptop to keep. recharged periodically(please state how often).
    5)leave the battery intact on the laptop and let the laptop maintain it automatically.
    6)other methods not listed above( please state your method)

thank you for reading.

7) leave the battery on, make sure it drains and recharges regulary.

from apple's website:
    "Standard Maintenance
    For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her MacBook Pro on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month."

The trouble is different battery technologies have different 'ideal' treatments - most laptops now are LiION or LiPolymer - but these two types have slightly different profiles. Both are certainly every different from NiMH and especially different from NiCD.

The charge circuitry in laptops seems to vary wildly in it's ability to properly manage the batteries - even with in the same brand.

Really only two things are common - over charging a battery is BAD. No sane charge controller should allow this to happen now due to the fire risk. The 2nd is full discharge is bad.
    Any thing in the middle - well....

A side note - my last two Dells are not really usable with out the battery fitted - it upsets the balance of the machine and it tends to tip back while I'm using it as the battery isn't countering the weight of the screen any more. Also one of the two batteries for my current Dell has died - the system says 'battery fault' when it's plugged in. Both were the same age, one is dead and the other is still running, although it's capacity is noticeably reduced and the system reports it as such -

Design Capacity: 3800 mAh
    Last full Capacity: 2772 mAh

The battery is getting near 2 years old. How ever it hasn't been treated with 'kid gloves' either - a number of times i've forgotten the machine is suspended instead of turned off and i've put in away only to find the battery dead flat when I go to use the machine again. Complete discharge is one of the BAD things to do to a battery...

Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    seems like quite some conflicting opinions given. ok, let's narrow down and choose which is the right way is on maximizing the battery life of current type of battery(lithium i presumed).

***please note this thread is not about maximizing the time you can use your laptop per battery charge. it's about the whole lifetime of the battery till it degrades and longer chargeable/use***

1)charged to 100% full and pluck out of the laptop to keep. charged only before wanting to use without power adapter.
    2)charged to 100% full and pluck out of the laptop to keep. recharged periodically(please stated how often).
    3)charged to 50% and pluck out of the laptop to keep.
    4)charged to 50% and pluck out of the laptop to keep. recharged periodically(please state how often).
    5)leave the battery intact on the laptop and let the laptop maintain it automatically.
    6)other methods not listed above( please state your method)

thank you for reading.
    1) Heat degenerates the battery. For folks with almost dead batteries way before its due life, my guess is that most of the damage came from the heat generated by the laptop.

2) A charged battery degenerates itself over time. The higher the charge, the faster the breakdown. This is inevitable and part of the battery aging process.

Ideally the battery should be stored at 40% charged at the safest lowest temperature (ie without risking condensation internally). A 40% charge battery at 0C retains 98% of its charge after one year's storage. Theoretically the best battery life would be storage at 0% charge. However, Lion batts cannot be safely recharged once they dropped below a certain voltage, and most circuitry will mark the batt as 'dead'; hence the 40% storage recommendation.

Practically though, i feel one should not be a slave to battery maintenance. While i leave my laptop on 24/7 on AC, i also leave the battery in. The reason for this is that the battery provides a 'power-failure' protection, like an UPS. Unbranded replacement batteries are available in Sim Lim for about $50-$200 for most laptop batteries, and i think a replacement every 2-3 years is not unreasonable for a heavily used unit.

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    ...and i think a replacement every 2-3 years is not unreasonable for a heavily used unit.
    I think this is a very reasonable frequency of replacement too, given that even NiMH batteries that I deplete/recharge every week or two for over 2 years seem to have their useful capacity halved. Of course, the controller circuitry in the NiMH chargers may not be as advanced as those in laptops regulating Li-ion batteries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12