Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I improve the lifetime of laptop batteries?

Deregistered

Default How can I improve the lifetime of laptop batteries?

as the subject says, how can i improve the lifetime of my laptop batteries? i meant the life span of the battery instead of power saving etc....

so how/what should i do? experts?

tq in advance.

Default Re: How can I improve the lifetime of laptop batteries?

Buy another battery?

it seems most products nowadays have a shelf life, my laptop's batts, after almost 2 years, now the battery only last half an hour max if i use intensive programs which use up quite a bit of juice.

I use the adaptor more often nowadays than depend on the battery...heh, its not like the past where they are built to last. Nowadays they want you to keep changing or spend more on new products
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by daxdigital View Post
    Buy another battery?
    Might as well suggest buying another laptop or power generator.

I always remove the battery and use DC adapter to minimise charging it over & over again.

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    it seems most products nowadays have a shelf life, my laptop's batts, after almost 2 years, now the battery only last half an hour max if i use intensive programs which use up quite a bit of juice.

I use the adaptor more often nowadays than depend on the battery...heh, its not like the past where they are built to last. Nowadays they want you to keep changing or spend more on new products
    my battery can only last 15 mins......................
    Objection !!!

minimise the brightness. try not to use too much application at once. if there's no intent to surf web, switch off your wifi/bluetooth etc.

that shd help slightly.
    Imagination is more powerful than words.

common knowledge,

laptop batteries die MUCH MIUCH faster if you leave them at 100% charge and at high temp. Most impt thing is 100% charge. My new sony TZ has a function that limits the charging to 80% or 50% when the ac adaptor is plugged in. If your laptop don't have this function, always remove the battery at around 50% charge when you are using AC adaptor.

The laptop battery die fast because people leave the battery on when running under AC power, 100% charge + heat build up from regular use.

Quote Originally Posted by pisduck View Post
    common knowledge,

laptop batteries die MUCH MIUCH faster if you leave them at 100% charge and at high temp. Most impt thing is 100% charge. My new sony TZ has a function that limits the charging to 80% or 50% when the ac adaptor is plugged in. If your laptop don't have this function, always remove the battery at around 50% charge when you are using AC adaptor.

The laptop battery die fast because people leave the battery on when running under AC power, 100% charge + heat build up from regular use.
    So your Sony TZ battery can't be 100% full, ever?

I have a Compaq laptop and nearly all of the time it is constantly plugged in to the power adapter with battery 100% charged.

Today, it's slightly past 3 years old, and its battery still lasts 2 hours+ with WiFi on, as advertised for its model, and pretty much what I remembered its battery life was the first day I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by cjtune View Post
    So your Sony TZ battery can't be 100% full, ever?

I have a Compaq laptop and nearly all of the time it is constantly plugged in to the power adapter with battery 100% charged.

Today, it's slightly past 3 years old, and its battery still lasts 2 hours+ with WiFi on, as advertised for its model, and pretty much what I remembered its battery life was the first day I got it.
    you can disable the charging limit if you need to charge to 100%. But for 99% of the time I don't need the full 6 hours battery life unless I am on overseas trip.

anyway the info I got from is here,
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

I am sure your battery has degraded over 3 years by storing them at 100% charge. physics....

Quote Originally Posted by pisduck View Post
    anyway the info I got from is here,
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

I am sure your battery has degraded over 3 years by storing them at 100% charge. physics....
    The physics may be correct, but your assumption may not: what makes you think my laptop model's battery charger regulator circuit is as primitive as your Sony's?
    My experience of its still pristine battery life speaks for itself.

Lithium batteries work very differently compared to NiMh, so never deplete your battery to near 0% before recharging, instead they last better if recharged frequently instead of a 100% deplete and recharge each time.

After charging to 100% just remove it from your laptop and run on the power adaptor.

I've been using my 5 year old toshiba laptop this way and the battery still lasts 4+ hrs it's only 1hr less than what is stated in the specs.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    After charging to 100% just remove it from your laptop and run on the power adaptor.

I've been using my 5 year old toshiba laptop this way and the battery still lasts 4+ hrs it's only 1hr less than what is stated in the specs.
    Are you sure your power management circuitry don't already disconnect (electrically) your battery when it's 100% full?
    Heck, if they can turn on/off the battery charging indicator lights, they should be able to do that internally, without every needing the user to physically remove the whole battery.

all Lithium battery comes with voltage level detecting circuit on the battery itself. Unlike NiMH batt, Lithium battery risk overheating if continuously charged. Therefore, a circuit is built into the batt to detect the voltage level.

Once the batt is fully charged, the detecting circuit will kick-in and break the charging.

my dell battery is totally dead after 3 years. halfway through i gave up trying to preserve it and simply bought a new one.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by daxdigital View Post
    Buy another battery?
    errrr.... not quite what i wanted to know.
    can try better answer?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by dOlBy View Post
    I always remove the battery and use DC adapter to minimise charging it over & over again.
    do you remove it when your battery is 100% charged? or less?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    minimise the brightness. try not to use too much application at once. if there's no intent to surf web, switch off your wifi/bluetooth etc.

that shd help slightly.
    err..... my question was battery lifetime. not about maximise battery usage in one charge.

thanks for reply anyway.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    Lithium batteries work very differently compared to NiMh, so never deplete your battery to near 0% before recharging, instead they last better if recharged frequently instead of a 100% deplete and recharge each time.

so the batt should be charged to the max then pull out of the laptop for storage so that it can can have longer lifetime?

am i right?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by anglejn View Post
    my dell battery is totally dead after 3 years. halfway through i gave up trying to preserve it and simply bought a new one.
    died with the battery attached while using the power adapter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast