Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Desktop for Photoshop

Default Re: Desktop for Photoshop

Helloseattle, yea i agree (re: the mouse)

the apple mouse is FREAKING ANNOYING.

Deswitch, I've used 2 mice on 20 inch imac. one of them doesn't have a scroll bit in the middle and the other mac mouse i used has a scroll bit but it is really pathetic and TINY. it is like maybe 1cm(length) by 0.5cm(width) (the scroll bit that is). and also the mice doesn't have a "partition" (usually the mouse will have two partitions with scroll bit in the middle, the ones i've used don't have a partition, so if you want to left click, you just have to click towards the left of the mice.) not sure whether i'm making sense, can't explain well, maybe you can check it out yourself and try using it... bottom line is that both of them are really user-unfriendly. but i read (i think on cs actually) that you can use other brands of mice with your imac etc.
    Last edited by noelle; 22nd May 2008 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noelle View Post
    thanks parka!

anyone has any idea whether i can add more gb to my hard drive (dell desktop) in future? not sure whether 480gb combined total of 2 hard drives is enough.
    If you have reached that stage it's time to think about a storage concept. Just adding more HDDs is possible but is also depending on space left inside the case. It makes sense to think about external disk space and some protection against faulty HDDs.
    There are external cases with either USB or Firewire port which you can connect to your desktop. They support 2 disks (or up to 4) which you can arrange in RAID0 (striping) or RAID1 (mirroring).
    But you also want to check about the interfaces: SATA is the way to go because of the higher interface speed. IDE is still supported but newer motherboards all have SATA interfaces which also offer already RAID1 capabilities.

thanks! so better to have 2 hard drives. i'm planning to either get 320GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing for the hard drive and then the additional hard drive 160gb instead of buying just 500gb for 1 hard drive? would that be better?
    Yep, this sounds better. But don't get blinded by stuff like "Native Command Queuing" and "3.0Gb/s". That's a lot of marketing and hardly useful for a normal user. Currently, none of the hard disks can deliver the data fast enough to load the SATA interface even half.
    It is more important that all component of the PC are well-balanced and there are not bottlenecks due to wrong cost-cuttings. For instance: it doesn't make any sense to put a SATA drive into a PC connected to PCI-SATA controller card and expect super performance and throughput ... The weakest link defines the performance.

Deswitch, I've used 2 mice on 20 inch imac. one of them doesn't have a scroll bit in the middle and the other mac mouse i used has a scroll bit but it is really pathetic and TINY. it is like maybe 1cm(length) by 0.5cm(width) (the scroll bit that is). and also the mice doesn't have a "partition" (usually the mouse will have two partitions with scroll bit in the middle, the ones i've used don't have a partition, so if you want to left click, you just have to click towards the left of the mice.) not sure whether i'm making sense, can't explain well, maybe you can check it out yourself and try using it... bottom line is that both of them are really user-unfriendly. but i read (i think on cs actually) that you can use other brands of mice with your imac etc.

OIC, Actually I'm using an IBM optical mouse (from my old thinkpad) and it works on my macbook. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Yep, this sounds better. But don't get blinded by stuff like "Native Command Queuing" and "3.0Gb/s". That's a lot of marketing and hardly useful for a normal user. Currently, none of the hard disks can deliver the data fast enough to load the SATA interface even half.
    It is more important that all component of the PC are well-balanced and there are not bottlenecks due to wrong cost-cuttings. For instance: it doesn't make any sense to put a SATA drive into a PC connected to PCI-SATA controller card and expect super performance and throughput ... The weakest link defines the performance.

ah gotcha thanks for the explanation!

Would appreciate anyone with technical know how to help with a new desktop for PS CS4. Intend to get the folowing configuration:
    - Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 or better
    - Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 or equvalent
    - 8GB DDR2 memory
    - Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512MB or 1GB
    - 2 Harddisks: 500GB 7200rpm SATAII x 2
    - Windows XP x32
    - Windows Vista Home Premium x64
    My questions:
    1. For graphics card, will 1GB give significant compared to 512MB?
    2. Intend for dual boot. Anyone have experience on this before and can share any problems?
    3. For dual boot, should I put XP and Vista into same HDD and using the other HDD as scratch disk?
    4. PS CS4 allows multiple installations into both XP and Vista in same PC? I know this sound kiasu, but I am Singaporean, you know, like you The real reason is I was told Vista x64 may be unstable. This configuration should allow me best of both world, as I have applications in XP that cannot run on Vista.

TIA

To elmobarney

1) It depends on the graphics card processor. If its able to process information very quickily, yes the bigger buffer will help. This only applies to graphics intensive programs(gaming) and 512mb is adequet for a 24 inch 1920x1200 monitor(thats provided if your gpu is fast enough). So in a word for photo shop, no, 1GB versus 512MB doesnt really have a significant difference in performance as photoshop is more CPU intensive.

2) No idea. I use Vista 32 bit for everything.

3) If I am not wrong, you can put one on each hard disc or you can use a program and install both on a single drive(or both if you raid 0 or 1 the hard discs) and a option on which to select on start up.

4) Unsure too. But you might want to install the cs4 on your xp, cus xp is less of a resource hog(around 100mb of ram fresh copy versus vista around 800mb of ram fresh copy)

You might want to look at ddr3 memory too. Their faster and rather affordable now.

Quote Originally Posted by doom102938 View Post
    To elmobarney

1) It depends on the graphics card processor. If its able to process information very quickily, yes the bigger buffer will help. This only applies to graphics intensive programs(gaming) and 512mb is adequet for a 24 inch 1920x1200 monitor(thats provided if your gpu is fast enough). So in a word for photo shop, no, 1GB versus 512MB doesnt really have a significant difference in performance as photoshop is more CPU intensive.

2) No idea. I use Vista 32 bit for everything.

3) If I am not wrong, you can put one on each hard disc or you can use a program and install both on a single drive(or both if you raid 0 or 1 the hard discs) and a option on which to select on start up.

4) Unsure too. But you might want to install the cs4 on your xp, cus xp is less of a resource hog(around 100mb of ram fresh copy versus vista around 800mb of ram fresh copy)

You might want to look at ddr3 memory too. Their faster and rather affordable now.
    Thanks doom102938.
    Just to clarify further on 2, 4.
    2. Understand for this dual boot, beside keeping 2 sets of drivers - for XP x32 and Vista x64, and supportability of these x64 drivers for older devices, what other problems could be encountered?
    4. Anyone holding PS CS4 and familiar with its license terms, eg
    i. Can CS4 for Windows work for both XP x32 and Vista x64?
    ii. Can license allow 2 installations, one for XP x32 and Vista x64 with the same PC?
    iii. Is CS4 license tied only to 1 PC? At present, I also have a notebook running on Vista x32. Can the same CS4 license be used for this notebook?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by elmobarney View Post
    - Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512MB or 1GB [...]
    Such a graphic card for image editing is overkill and wasted money at its best. If you don't use your PC for games then you can downsize this item to an entry level card of 64MB - fully enough!
    Keep in mind: your pictures are only 2D information. The graphics card is just an adapter for the display, all processing is done by the CPU. All the high end graphics cards are there to process and display 3D information as they are used in games. Secondly: all these high-end cards suck a lot of energy and they are noisy (due to the fan). Save the money and use it to get a good display. Check the other threads here, there are some recommendations.

Such a graphic card for image editing is overkill and wasted money at its best. If you don't use your PC for games then you can downsize this item to an entry level card of 64MB - fully enough!
    Keep in mind: your pictures are only 2D information. The graphics card is just an adapter for the display, all processing is done by the CPU. All the high end graphics cards are there to process and display 3D information as they are used in games. Secondly: all these high-end cards suck a lot of energy and they are noisy (due to the fan). Save the money and use it to get a good display. Check the other threads here, there are some recommendations.
    64MB is definitely not enough. I depends on what resolution you are running. But yea, high-end cards suck lots of power.

Windows XP x32 will not detect 8GB of RAM correctly if I remember. Get the 64bit one, or Vista.

Been using dual boot Vista64 for photoshop & Winxp pro for everything else, so far no worries.
    XP64 generally getting bad reviews, Vista64 is the way to go.
    If new, get a lower end 512mb or 256mb GPU, esp. if you're going to start rotating canvas & stuff. CS4 DOES utilizes graphic processing power unlike earlier versions. Plus it wouldnt hurt in case wanna play games once a while.

And oso dont worry abt drivers & such with Vista64 anymore, those r old news.
    Dont bother with DDR3 rams, they're negligible improvements unless you need fastest & best kit on the block.

Also no need to get at once all the HDD u tink you'll need, prices will only go down. With 8Gb ram, dont need worry too much abt scratch disk actually..

But with 2.3K, if u do reseach and DIY/let shop do it on your behalf can already get top specs.
    Last edited by redmonsoon; 1st December 2008 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dorts View Post
    64MB is definitely not enough. I depends on what resolution you are running. But yea, high-end cards suck lots of power.
    I'm talking about the graphic card memory, not the RAM. Calculate on your own: 1920x1200 @ 24 bit = 55,296,000 bits = 6.9MB. For what do you need hundreds of MB RAM in a graphic card for 2D images?

I'm talking about the graphic card memory, not the RAM. Calculate on your own: 1920x1200 @ 24 bit = 55,296,000 bits = 6.9MB. For what do you need hundreds of MB RAM in a graphic card for 2D images?
    Thanks for correcting me. Hmm, something new learnt..

But where you gonna find a 64MB graphic card? AGP maybe?

I would like to highlight this to all friends here. Quite a number of Nvidia Cards are faulty, so be careful when you purchase Nvidia cards during this period of time.

The faulty cards affects both PC and Macintosh.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/10/10...may-be-faulty/

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/230097/h...-desktops.html

Quote Originally Posted by dorts View Post
    Thanks for correcting me. Hmm, something new learnt..
    But where you gonna find a 64MB graphic card? AGP maybe?
    Just checked the lists of Sim Lim shops. Still there are offers for PCI and AGP cards with 64MB or 128MB RAM, some still without any fan. I still use an AGP card with 64MB, works well.

Thanks everyone

Actually for $2.3K can easily get the newer intel i7-based systems with a reasonable X58 motherboard. That should blow the older quad cores CPU performance away.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    If u not aiming at PC gaming, at $2.3K, u may just go for the Dell Workstation series, like the Dell Precision T3400.

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/prod...n&s=bsd&~ck=mn

For 2D/3D design and processing, workstations will do the best and with a bigger potential of upgrading!
    Yeap this is one of the stable workstation in the market.....so far not a single problem after 1.5 years. I have a different specs but once you enter the workstation mode.....we are in a different level.

I've been using the mac for years and have never had problems with the provided mouse. I really think its a matter of preference. If its an issue you can use any other USB mice, shouldn't have any compatibility problems.

Would appreciate anyone with technical know how to help with a new desktop for PS CS4. Intend to get the folowing configuration:
    - Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 or better
    - Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 or equvalent
    - 8GB DDR2 memory
    - Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512MB or 1GB
    - 2 Harddisks: 500GB 7200rpm SATAII x 2
    - Windows XP x32
    - Windows Vista Home Premium x64
    probably not, for photoshop work... there are as yet no reviews on how much video memory is optimal for CS4 display acceleration or how much of a difference more video memory would contribute to the acceleration, just that anything over 256MB should be good... heck, even my puny 9300M with 256MB video ram on my netbook helps display acceleration in CS4...
    2. Intend for dual boot. Anyone have experience on this before and can share any problems?
    I dual boot on my home PC... no probs...
    3. For dual boot, should I put XP and Vista into same HDD and using the other HDD as scratch disk?
    if put in same HDD, need to partition them into 2 logical drives... don't believe can install two OS into same partition...
    4. PS CS4 allows multiple installations into both XP and Vista in same PC? I know this sound kiasu, but I am Singaporean, you know, like you The real reason is I was told Vista x64 may be unstable. This configuration should allow me best of both world, as I have applications in XP that cannot run on Vista.
    for the regular license, no... the regular license is for one install on a desktop, one on a laptop... as for Vista 64, I can say that among the OSes I have worked on, WinXP 32, OSX and Vista 64, the last is the most stable, provided your hardware is up to the task of running it I guess... and going by your proposed system, should not have a prob with that... and WinXP 32 would not be able to make use of more than 4GB, so not much point of 8GB unless you run a 64bit OS...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast