Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lentor
    Posts
    538

    Default Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    http://www.asiangeo.com/contest_awb.html

    Was told by Andy

    Grand Prize
    1 x CanonEOS 5D valued at S$5000
    1 x Gitzo GT 2541 Mountaineer Tripod valued at S1500
    1 x ExOfficio Photographer Jacket valued at S$300

  2. #2

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    9. If the Photograph includes other people, you must be prepared to provide a signed written personal release from all persons who appear in the Photograph submitted, authorising use of the Photograph as provided below in "Third Party Releases/Licenses." If you are unable to provide a personal release, upon request by Sponsor and in the form provided by Sponsor, then your entry may be disqualified. You do not need to send the release with your entry. If you win, we will contact you if a model release is needed.
    that may be a problem.. even if the person is indistinguishable?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    Great terms and conditions.

    4.
    ASIAN Geographic retains the right to publish the contest entries to congratulate the winners and to promote future events. Entries may be published by Sponsors, and/or their designees, licensees or affiliates (the "Authorised Parties") in magazines, on websites, or in any other medium, at Authorised Parties' discretion. By participating, all entrants grant a license in the Entries to the Authorised Parties, and acknowledge that any Authorised Party may use the entries and a name credit in any media now or hereafter known, without the restriction, including commercially using the entries to the fullest extent possible worldwide in perpetuity. Authorised Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use. Entries become the property of Sponsors and will not be returned.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar Su View Post
    Great terms and conditions.
    that condition is normal. common until cannot common.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lentor
    Posts
    538

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    that condition is normal. common until cannot common.
    yA i agree, all of them just want to make sure they get the copyrights of the winners stupid people

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    The prizes they are offering would not even amount to $10k. However, the number of pictures that they will get from this contest would be worth 100s of times more than the value of the prizes. Good business move on their part to get almost free photos.

    Cheers.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by labla View Post
    yA i agree, all of them just want to make sure they get the copyrights of the winners stupid people
    nothing wrong with that. there is no free lunch in this world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sham K View Post
    The prizes they are offering would not even amount to $10k. However, the number of pictures that they will get from this contest would be worth 100s of times more than the value of the prizes. Good business move on their part to get almost free photos.

    Cheers.
    that is short-sighted.

    if you win such a competition, and your work happens to be published, then you'd be sure that people might start taking notice, and you might get commercial offers. the potential resultant benefits far exceed your 10k estimation.. because there are far more intangible ones.

    for example, a flickr contact of mine won a competition, he recounted to me about how in the next month, he got 8 or 9 offers to purchase his landscape photographs at significant prices.

    that said, this also depends on the amount of exposure you are given. obviously winning a national geographic competition would be more substantial than winning say, a TODAY photograph competition.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    Winning this, would be opening our chance to many things....as long they still give us a name credit for our picture that is used in any media...then why bother it so much about that ?
    It's just a matter of taste with passion...just watch and learn...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    nothing wrong with that. there is no free lunch in this world.



    that is short-sighted.

    if you win such a competition, and your work happens to be published, then you'd be sure that people might start taking notice, and you might get commercial offers. the potential resultant benefits far exceed your 10k estimation.. because there are far more intangible ones.

    for example, a flickr contact of mine won a competition, he recounted to me about how in the next month, he got 8 or 9 offers to purchase his landscape photographs at significant prices.

    that said, this also depends on the amount of exposure you are given. obviously winning a national geographic competition would be more substantial than winning say, a TODAY photograph competition.

    "Short-sighted"?? Hmmm, you are obviously taking an over-simplistic view of the whole thing. Perhaps you may want to consider the following:
    1) Only the winner is awarded the prize and the rest are all just submitting their pics to be used without any gratification whatsoever. Do the maths and compare that to the number of 'free' pics the organizer gets to use and you'll see the rationale. Intagible gains??? Yeah right!! Maybe for the winner and the the Organizer, not for the other hard-working photographers.
    2) Even if you say that a name credit is given for the other thousands of shots, come on, how many people really look at a name and know that it refers to a specific photographer so much so that the particular photographer would get subsequent recognition? A name, for example 'ABC', means nothing unless if it is accompanied by some form of the contact detail of the photographer. This will not happen. On top of that, the photographer is not going to be informed as to how and when his entry might be used by the organizer/their agents/servants/etc. so as to at least claim in his portfolio of the same.
    3) For the organizer to say that they can even use the photos of all the entrants 'commericially', to me, unequivocally means that it is a form of exploitation of the photographers. I feel that it is immoral since photographer cannot do much with that submitted photograph as he has already relegated his rights while the organizer gains (even in monetary terms).
    4) In your retort, you have only been able to cite the advantages of winning and then give an undisclosed account of how someone winning some contest got a few a more deals. Good and well. However, if you had read carefully, you would have noticed that I was not talking about the winner in my comment. I was talking about the usuage and abuse of the photographs of the non-winners.
    5) I did not suggest that no one should take part in these photo contests. I merely pointed out that the non-winners are prejudiced herein in various ways. Everyone is entitled to proceed to submit, but they should do it with the knowledge as to what they are getting themselves into. Got to do it with 'eyes wide open'.

    Cheers

  10. #10

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    yada yada yada

    it's alright, don't take part then!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    Free Willy!!!

    We all have a choice right i don't think anyone gonner himself if his work isn't selected...

    If u think the picture can sell for more $$$ then don't submit it lor
    P&S: Sony U20, Pana-leica FZ5, Canon S90, Pana DMC-T3
    SLR: Nikkor F60, Oly E-510, Oly E-5

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lentor
    Posts
    538

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by Sham K View Post
    "Short-sighted"?? Hmmm, you are obviously taking an over-simplistic view of the whole thing. Perhaps you may want to consider the following:
    1) Only the winner is awarded the prize and the rest are all just submitting their pics to be used without any gratification whatsoever. Do the maths and compare that to the number of 'free' pics the organizer gets to use and you'll see the rationale. Intagible gains??? Yeah right!! Maybe for the winner and the the Organizer, not for the other hard-working photographers.
    2) Even if you say that a name credit is given for the other thousands of shots, come on, how many people really look at a name and know that it refers to a specific photographer so much so that the particular photographer would get subsequent recognition? A name, for example 'ABC', means nothing unless if it is accompanied by some form of the contact detail of the photographer. This will not happen. On top of that, the photographer is not going to be informed as to how and when his entry might be used by the organizer/their agents/servants/etc. so as to at least claim in his portfolio of the same.
    3) For the organizer to say that they can even use the photos of all the entrants 'commericially', to me, unequivocally means that it is a form of exploitation of the photographers. I feel that it is immoral since photographer cannot do much with that submitted photograph as he has already relegated his rights while the organizer gains (even in monetary terms).
    4) In your retort, you have only been able to cite the advantages of winning and then give an undisclosed account of how someone winning some contest got a few a more deals. Good and well. However, if you had read carefully, you would have noticed that I was not talking about the winner in my comment. I was talking about the usuage and abuse of the photographs of the non-winners.
    5) I did not suggest that no one should take part in these photo contests. I merely pointed out that the non-winners are prejudiced herein in various ways. Everyone is entitled to proceed to submit, but they should do it with the knowledge as to what they are getting themselves into. Got to do it with 'eyes wide open'.

    Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    yada yada yada

    it's alright, don't take part then!
    Yo guys chill..... hahaha Sham sounds super unhappy. Hahaha It's not about the winning for some i guess... it's more of a experience and to gauge their skills. Even if they get free pictures i guess it doesn't mean that you will not gain at least u will have recognition for your own photos and self acknowledgment's of your skill.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by Sham K View Post
    "Short-sighted"?? Hmmm, you are obviously taking an over-simplistic view of the whole thing. Perhaps you may want to consider the following:
    1) Only the winner is awarded the prize and the rest are all just submitting their pics to be used without any gratification whatsoever. Do the maths and compare that to the number of 'free' pics the organizer gets to use and you'll see the rationale. Intagible gains??? Yeah right!! Maybe for the winner and the the Organizer, not for the other hard-working photographers.
    2) Even if you say that a name credit is given for the other thousands of shots, come on, how many people really look at a name and know that it refers to a specific photographer so much so that the particular photographer would get subsequent recognition? A name, for example 'ABC', means nothing unless if it is accompanied by some form of the contact detail of the photographer. This will not happen. On top of that, the photographer is not going to be informed as to how and when his entry might be used by the organizer/their agents/servants/etc. so as to at least claim in his portfolio of the same.
    3) For the organizer to say that they can even use the photos of all the entrants 'commericially', to me, unequivocally means that it is a form of exploitation of the photographers. I feel that it is immoral since photographer cannot do much with that submitted photograph as he has already relegated his rights while the organizer gains (even in monetary terms).
    4) In your retort, you have only been able to cite the advantages of winning and then give an undisclosed account of how someone winning some contest got a few a more deals. Good and well. However, if you had read carefully, you would have noticed that I was not talking about the winner in my comment. I was talking about the usuage and abuse of the photographs of the non-winners.
    5) I did not suggest that no one should take part in these photo contests. I merely pointed out that the non-winners are prejudiced herein in various ways. Everyone is entitled to proceed to submit, but they should do it with the knowledge as to what they are getting themselves into. Got to do it with 'eyes wide open'.

    Cheers
    Photography is just my hobby, of course i like my hard work to be showcase and better still, to be recognition. It is not about money, it is for my passion. Example, two of my photo had just selected for the Green Summit by Singapore Enviroment Council, i get $0 from it, but I'm very happy to be selected.

    Ask yourself, what is photography mean to you....

    Maybe your photo can easily fetch S$10K, that why you are unhappy about the above-mentioned competition, and also why you didn't post any photo at CS too.
    Last edited by Leong23; 17th May 2008 at 02:15 AM.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Photography is just my hobby, of course i like my hard work to be showcase and better still, to be recognition. It is not about money, it is for my passion. Example, two of my photo had just selected for the Green Summit by Singapore Enviroment Council, i get $0 from it, but I'm very happy to be selected.

    Ask yourself, what is photography mean to you....

    Maybe your photo can easily fetch S$10K, that why you are unhappy about the above-mentioned competition, and also why you didn't post any photo at CS too.
    Congratulations for your two shots being selected for the Green Summit. I am happy for you and thank you for taking the time to check out my profile etc.

    Cheers

  15. #15

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Photography is just my hobby, of course i like my hard work to be showcase and better still, to be recognition. It is not about money, it is for my passion. Example, two of my photo had just selected for the Green Summit by Singapore Enviroment Council, i get $0 from it, but I'm very happy to be selected.

    Ask yourself, what is photography mean to you....

    Maybe your photo can easily fetch S$10K, that why you are unhappy about the above-mentioned competition, and also why you didn't post any photo at CS too.
    don't bother feeding the trolls..

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    don't bother feeding the trolls..



    Invariably for competition post, there will be someone who will try to "help" others be aware of exploitation of the non-winners. This is not new in clubsnap. Most competition are rigged in that sense, as the organisers are the ones setting the rules. This is their way of gaining and also protecting themselves.

    Sham, relax man.....you don't sound like an incurable optimist in this case.... for your info, I usually check out the profile, because I don't know everyone here. At least you don't just write "male / female" on your profile only.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,984

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    Anyone noticed this requirement?

    Entries must be saved in RGB jpeg format at a size of 14 (about 35cm) in the longest dimension (regardless of whether it is a portrait or landscape image) with at least 300dpi in resolution.

    That's 4200 pixels on the long side, and using the usual 3:2 aspect ratio, that's 11.8 megapixels! I'm a poor guy with only 6 megapix on my DSLR, my pics only have 3000 pixels on the long side....

    And if I re-render my pics and interpolate the pixels to give it higher resoluation, I get disqualified under this rule:

    Photoshop manipulation is limited to:
    ....
    Cropping, but only 10% of the original image. (Contestants will be bound by the honour system.) Submissions which have obviously been heavily cropped will be disqualified.


    Looks like only people with the newest cameras can qualify, even the chaps with 10megapix bodies will need to tweak their pics before they can be submitted....

    I'm writing to AsiaGeo to ask them for clarification on this, will update if they give me a reply....

  18. #18
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,651

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    They didn't say the photos has to be taken with a digital camera. If its too expensive for you, then get a $200 film camera and sildes and do a high resolution scan after.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    9. If the Photograph includes other people, you must be prepared to provide a signed written personal release from all persons who appear in the Photograph submitted, authorising use of the Photograph as provided below in "Third Party Releases/Licenses." If you are unable to provide a personal release, upon request by Sponsor and in the form provided by Sponsor, then your entry may be disqualified. You do not need to send the release with your entry. If you win, we will contact you if a model release is needed.

    10. Upon Sponsor's request, each entrant must be prepared to provide a signed written personal release from all persons who appear in the photograph submitted, authorising use of the Photograph by any Authorised Party in any media now or hereafter known, without the restriction, including commercially using it to fullest extent possible, including but not limited to Sponsors’ editorial publications, press releases, marketing and promotions.

    for 9 and 10, is it the same ? I don't really understand, some kind soul can help me ?

  20. #20

    Default Re: Asian Geographic Photo Competition

    [QUOTE=brianop87;4017599]Winning this, would be opening our chance to many things....QUOTE]

    that's very positive thinking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •