Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compact cam after DSLR

Default Re: Compact cam after DSLR

i've heard of quite a few photographers who carry around with them a canon G9. seems like it's a really big on function given its relatively small size. probably easier to sneak candids unnoticed with such a cam. makes a great backup too.

quite pricey though.

Quote Originally Posted by changster View Post
    i've heard of quite a few photographers who carry around with them a canon G9. seems like it's a really big on function given its relatively small size. probably easier to sneak candids unnoticed with such a cam. makes a great backup too.

quite pricey though.
    The G9 is a great prosumer. Though expensive, u're paying for what u get.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by fabianaino View Post
    I sold my Canon S3 for my DSLR... now I wish I never did! I didn't sell it for much so hindsight I think it's better for me to keep it.

HAving a compact sure is useful when you need to be really really FAST and inconspicuous ... and LIGHT ! It wasn'y long after I got my first DSLR that I miss my compact
    Especially when you want others to take your photo with you in it. You hand them your DSLR, don't know whether they will spoil it, and they ask you, how come your LCD spoilt?
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    Especially when you want others to take your photo with you in it. You hand them your DSLR, don't know whether they will spoil it, and they ask you, how come your LCD spoilt?

that's a good one. i had someone ask me how to turn on the LCD so that she can take the photo ala "live view"

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    that's a good one. i had someone ask me how to turn on the LCD so that she can take the photo ala "live view"

Plenty of such examples around. People are hardly used to looking through the VF. Alot of people has the misconception its old tech.

Actually, I even more scared of them running away with my DSLR! My poor legs and heart cannot chase them...

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    Plenty of such examples around. People are hardly used to looking through the VF. Alot of people has the misconception its old tech.

Actually, I even more scared of them running away with my DSLR! My poor legs and heart cannot chase them...

Think of it, it is easier for them to run off with the compact.
    For people like you and me with family/kids, I "fear" losing the compact more.

Sorry for the OT.

Luckily here comes Sigma DP1 a compact camera that has an image quality of a DSLR with manual functions too A dream come true for DSLR users, well not all, buy may be most hehehehe

It's a bit pricey though :-s

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Think of it, it is easier for them to run off with the compact.
    For people like you and me with family/kids, I "fear" losing the compact more.

Sorry for the OT.
    My DSLR is more precious.... . got my beloved 18-200mm VR.

My compact is a cheap L14, cheapest I can find. mainly for my 3 yr old girl to play and for times when I need something light and cannot carry my DSLR..

My F30 is in my bag or pocket most days. It's also especially useful for gigs and indoor functions in the evening. Can't be carrying my dslr and drinks in both hands can I? But with the F30 in your pocket, you can!
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by wackoyacky View Post
    Luckily here comes Sigma DP1 a compact camera that has an image quality of a DSLR with manual functions too A dream come true for DSLR users, well not all, buy may be most hehehehe

But the DP1's very expensive, can buy a DSLR already.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    But the DP1's very expensive, can buy a DSLR already.
    size can be a factor, especially when you're doing street photography.

subjects tend to be more natural and less interested in you when you're not lugging something that looks 'pro'

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    size can be a factor, especially when you're doing street photography.

subjects tend to be more natural and less interested in you when you're not lugging something that looks 'pro'
    Agree. If i need a compact with DSLR quality pics, i'd definitely get the DP1, else i would prefer a DSLR where i can change lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    The G9 is a great prosumer. Though expensive, u're paying for what u get.
    What's so special about the G9?

Not bashing the G9, but just comparing, it seems I can get better value out of an A-series compact. The G9 doesn't seem to offer me anything unusual. Or did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by wackoyacky View Post

Ehhh... This is very misleading. The DP1 only has a fixed lens (28mm fixed, so no "zooming") WITHOUT IMAGE STABILIZATION. The menus are a mess and it's a pain to navigate. Almost all functions can only be adjusted through this menu system. Focusing is very slow (up to 1.5 seconds), and the horrible LCD quality doesn't help. There is no live histogram. ISO max is 800. Image quality is acceptable up to ISO400, but has a very slow burst rate. It takes close to 4 seconds (!!!!) to switch on.

It's essentially one of the slowest cameras on the market. Hardly a "dream come true" for DSLR users.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    The DP1 only has a fixed lens (28mm fixed, so no "zooming")
    wow ... and still people buy it

Quote Originally Posted by sloth View Post

Not bashing the G9, but just comparing, it seems I can get better value out of an A-series compact. The G9 doesn't seem to offer me anything unusual. Or did I miss something?
    raw shooting ability..
    hot shoe..
    better build..

juz to name a few..

in any case.. other than a dslr i find it convenient to bring my f30 around for casual shots with friends..

Quote Originally Posted by sloth View Post

U can't compare the G9 to the regular A series. Once u use it, u'll know what i mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Ehhh... This is very misleading. The DP1 only has a fixed lens (28mm fixed, so no "zooming") WITHOUT IMAGE STABILIZATION. The menus are a mess and it's a pain to navigate. Almost all functions can only be adjusted through this menu system. Focusing is very slow (up to 1.5 seconds), and the horrible LCD quality doesn't help. There is no live histogram. ISO max is 800. Image quality is acceptable up to ISO400, but has a very slow burst rate. It takes close to 4 seconds (!!!!) to switch on.

It's essentially one of the slowest cameras on the market. Hardly a "dream come true" for DSLR users.
    No zoom in compact cam to me is a big no no... i m very greedy
    ;) L-plate Photog: I come, I see, I shoot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12