Thread: Volunteerism

Default Volunteerism

hi people,
    i m currently doing a research on volunteerism under one of my school project.
    And i hope to gather feedback from all of you. thank you.
    And the qns goes like this:

The amount of people especially youth volunteers are decreasing. what are your opinion?

Pardon me if there is any grammar mistake though..
    Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Volunteerism

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwithcanon View Post
    hi people,

The amount of people especially youth volunteers are decreasing. what are your opinion?

Thank you in advance.
    How would you define Youth?

Volunteering is a state of mind. When you are in school, the teachers ask you to 'volunteer' to clean up old folks home and such, are not actually volunteering. You can interview them and probably 80% will say they are forced to come or it will add points to their whatever academic scoring. Peer pressure steps in as well.

True volunteering comes after you step into the society and starts to weigh what you have and what you don't. Work commitments normally deter people from volunteering. Thats when you really sit down and think, do you really wanna do something to help or just let someone else do the job.

Its also partly due to the environment we live in and the type of education we gets. Won't go into that, you probably will get alot of reports on this already.

*Spoodfeeding mode off*
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwithcanon View Post
    hi people,

Thank you in advance.
    You mean you are doing your school works regarding volunteerism, and want people in CS to volunteer to help you to do your school work?

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    You mean you are doing your school works regarding volunteerism, and want people in CS to volunteer to help you to do your school work?
    wah, taking volunteering to a new level....
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    *Spoodfeeding mode off*

TS, its your opinion on whether youth voluntarism is decreasing. hahaha.

Personally, I don't think so. Look at the statistics of youth volunteer, at least the official figures. Do you see a trend of it decreasing? I am not sure, but take a look at the govt statistics, say for the past 20 yrs.

Compare that with the statistics of youth in the country. Is there a trend? However, don't forget that these are only official figures, and would only be for those who are regular voulunteers. You probably disregard those who do adhoc projects and stuff. You also got to define the scope. Do you define it as just doing work without pay or only with the recognised society? Nowadays, most people are involved in short-term projects in Singapore, whether with their religious organisations or other welfare groups. Communication and awareness is improving with better media to reach out for more volunteers. Students still requiring to do volunteer work for ECA or hostel points. There are loads of reasons where volunteerism is strong in Singapore. Back up your opinion with the statistical data.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams