Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry Carbinet ~ should I place it in ...

Default Re: Dry Carbinet ~ should I place it in ...

Quote Originally Posted by electron View Post
    Sorry OT a bit but what dry cabinets are you guys using? Digi Cabi seems to be popular right? Has anybody had fungi growing on lenses/camera while using a dry cabinet?
    If your Cabinet is working properly and the setting is correct then it just ain't going to happen
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Quote Originally Posted by electron View Post
    Sorry OT a bit but what dry cabinets are you guys using? Digi Cabi seems to be popular right? Has anybody had fungi growing on lenses/camera while using a dry cabinet?
    Brand doesn't matter as long as it works. If fungus grows while putting it in a dry cabinet, the cabinet can throw away already.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by airfins View Post
    If your Cabinet is working properly and the setting is correct then it just ain't going to happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Brand doesn't matter as long as it works. If fungus grows while putting it in a dry cabinet, the cabinet can throw away already.
    There is a possibility to get fungus on the lens inside a dry cabinet and it happens to my telescope because I forgot to "loosen" the cover (close like tightening a filter on a lens) when putting it into the cabinet after using. About 3 months inside the cabinet a small fungus grew. It didn't just happen to me, Digi cabi boss told me that others face the same problem too.

The important point here is that all surfaces that need protection need to be exposed to the dry air environment in the cabinet. For me, I will loosen the filter on the lens a little to prevent the mistake again. You never know how much moisture you trap between the filter and the lens, especially if you are using those big lenses.
    D300 & P5100 :bsmilie:

That's some interesting information...thks for sharing
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

other than space for ventilation, dont place it where sun light will hit it.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by rvxing View Post
    There is a possibility to get fungus on the lens inside a dry cabinet and it happens to my telescope because I forgot to "loosen" the cover (close like tightening a filter on a lens) when putting it into the cabinet after using. About 3 months inside the cabinet a small fungus grew. It didn't just happen to me, Digi cabi boss told me that others face the same problem too.

The important point here is that all surfaces that need protection need to be exposed to the dry air environment in the cabinet. For me, I will loosen the filter on the lens a little to prevent the mistake again. You never know how much moisture you trap between the filter and the lens, especially if you are using those big lenses.
    I place all my lenses inside my DigiCabi with all caps and filters on for over a year and nothing happened. Perhaps it's becos u left it inside for too long and never use.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    I place all my lenses inside my DigiCabi with all caps and filters on for over a year and nothing happened. Perhaps it's becos u left it inside for too long and never use.
    As I mentioned in my earlier post, I kept the telescope for about 3 months in the cabinet. It is 105mm in diameter and 10mm at the highest to 20mm at the lowest point for depth from cover to the glass, so it can trap a lot of moisture in that volume especially after a obs session which normally will have dew form on the scope.

Small lenses should not be a problem, I too in the past had kept many small lenses with the filter on for a long period of time without problem. Since the event on the telescope, I just make it a habit to loosen the filter for all the lenses big or small inside the cabinet. However, you never know how much moisture it will trap if you have a habit of loosening the filter for whatever reason when you bring it for an outing.
    D300 & P5100 :bsmilie:

Quote Originally Posted by rvxing View Post
    As I mentioned in my earlier post, I kept the telescope for about 3 months in the cabinet. It is 105mm in diameter and 10mm at the highest to 20mm at the lowest point for depth from cover to the glass, so it can trap a lot of moisture in that volume especially after a obs session which normally will have dew form on the scope.

Small lenses should not be a problem, I too in the past had kept many small lenses with the filter on for a long period of time without problem. Since the event on the telescope, I just make it a habit to loosen the filter for all the lenses big or small inside the cabinet. However, you never know how much moisture it will trap if you have a habit of loosening the filter for whatever reason when you bring it for an outing.
    That's y i kept all my lenses as they are with the filters on and caps. No problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12