Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Synthetic Engine Oil, what do you use?

  1. #1
    Member BlueBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    912

    Default Synthetic Engine Oil, what do you use?

    Which brand Synthetic engine oil for cars do you use? what rating? 5W40? 5W30? etc?

    Anyone using or tried exotic brands apart from the usual Shell Helix Ultra, Mobil1, etc?
    Nikanon D3FXMarkIIIDS-1H with 5000mm f/128 & 0.500mm Macro f/0.4 & 0.70-2000mm f/256

  2. #2

    Default Re: Synthetic Engine Oil, what do you use?

    if for normal use..a friend of mine highly recommends Xrev 5w30. Thinner, super smooth, efficient etc.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Synthetic Engine Oil, what do you use?

    Mine still under agent warranty so must go back to C&C...they use std Shell Helix 5W40 fully sync

    If you have good workshop...you might want to try these out...the Red line is pretty hot with the car enthusias community 5W30 or even 5W20 to give your car better pick up and petrol saving...but some say it's not so good for heavy driving due to lower viscocity.....to me it's not an issue since we hardly whack our car in our driving condition...even on NS highway....I do 140km/h max and hardly rev about 3000rpm

    http://www.mxtradings.com/mxtradings.htm

  4. #4

    Default Re: Synthetic Engine Oil, what do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Mine still under agent warranty so must go back to C&C...they use std Shell Helix 5W40 fully sync

    If you have good workshop...you might want to try these out...the Red line is pretty hot with the car enthusias community 5W30 or even 5W20 to give your car better pick up and petrol saving...but some say it's not so good for heavy driving due to lower viscocity.....to me it's not an issue since we hardly whack our car in our driving condition...even on NS highway....I do 140km/h max and hardly rev about 3000rpm

    http://www.mxtradings.com/mxtradings.htm
    wat car are you driving? 140kmh and still not 3k rpm!

  5. #5
    Member BlueBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    912

    Default Re: Synthetic Engine Oil, what do you use?

    Been recommended Redline and Motul for exotic brands.

    How does these compare to the regulars like Shell Helix Ultra and Mobil 1?

    Anyone usinng the exotics and have any feedback?
    Nikanon D3FXMarkIIIDS-1H with 5000mm f/128 & 0.500mm Macro f/0.4 & 0.70-2000mm f/256

  6. #6
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Synthetic Engine Oil, what do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by di0nysus View Post
    wat car are you driving? 140kmh and still not 3k rpm!
    If 140 it would be around 3k+ lah....it's an auto transmission so unlike manual, which can easily cheong pass 5 or 6k

  7. #7
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Synthetic Engine Oil, what do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBull View Post
    Been recommended Redline and Motul for exotic brands.

    How does these compare to the regulars like Shell Helix Ultra and Mobil 1?

    Anyone usinng the exotics and have any feedback?
    I used Mobil1 gold 5W30 before....honestly speaking....I can't feel much different....maybe mine is not a high performance car

  8. #8

    Default Re: Synthetic Engine Oil, what do you use?

    Been using Carlube all the while in my Swift... dun have any comparisons to make, but so far car oso can move leh... btw, I'm using 5W40...
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

  9. #9

    Default Re: Synthetic Engine Oil, what do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBull View Post
    Been recommended Redline and Motul for exotic brands.

    How does these compare to the regulars like Shell Helix Ultra and Mobil 1?

    Anyone usinng the exotics and have any feedback?
    Motul 0w20 has one of the finest oil in the market as it contains double esther additives. The engine runs cooler somewhat through my own experience. FC wise, it might help abit. However, it really depends on what type of car you have. If the weight is too thin, it may not be suitable for high torque engines like heavy duty utility vehicles.

    But it aint cheap. try it to feel some difference after the first tank. For a really dirty engine, please clean engine with one round of normal oil+filter change for 500km and flush it off. Then replace filter and add motul.

    I am no expert, but i do love cars.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    666

    Default Re: Synthetic Engine Oil, what do you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBull View Post
    Been recommended Redline and Motul for exotic brands.

    How does these compare to the regulars like Shell Helix Ultra and Mobil 1?

    Anyone usinng the exotics and have any feedback?
    Redline...... been using them for some time already. Besides Redline, I also used mobile 1 before. Can't really tell the diff between the 2. But then I use redline because i get good discount...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •