Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Articles we will all hate!

Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

4) Again, if u are shooting in dark condition like bars, discos, dense forest, D3 will allow u to focus easily on that person face or bird without focusing back and forth and in the end focusin on the tree branch or disco light. If u are shooting catwalk assignments in night clubs, u will be in trouble if u cant focus fast enough on the model face. They will just pose for a few seconds and turn back.

You see, better technology clearly have their merits and definitely useful. and they definitely allows u to create better pictures which u otherwise cant. Think ansel adams is great/good and he can take great picture using film camera/pinhole or watever? Think again. For ansel, his type of shoots are mostly static landscapes kind, and i dare to say is unchallenging. what is challenging is thinking of the composition and to time ur shot such that u can get the best lighting effects in ur photo. This is wat is called a masterpiece.
    http://www.anseladams.com/index.asp?...ATS&Category=9 <-- these are what he shoots.[/QUOTE]

another thing to point out. when "better " technology, esq in low light in clubs and disco, we can hit 2 to 4 shots of the model before they turn away. A D50 will not be doing that. will prob still hunting in focus by the time the next model comes in view.
    Last edited by Luval; 13th May 2008 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    In your case, if you are comparing the L14 and the D50, a well taken picture from both cameras will probably not have much difference, especially at lower ISO, well lighted scenarios.
    Ahhh....Remember, I say, work within the limits of your camera.

I am sure that the D3/D300 and many others models are certainly superior than the D50, and it allows me more control. I know what my cameras are capable of and work within their limits.

The thing is, I don't upgrade so that my pictures will be better. I upgrade because I need another better tool to work beyond the current camera's limits.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    Ahhh....Remember, I say, work within the limits of your camera.

I am sure that the D3/D300 and many others models are certainly superior than the D50, and it allows me more control. I know what my cameras are capable of and work within their limits.

The thing is, I don't upgrade so that my pictures will be better. I upgrade because I need another better tool to work beyond the current camera's limits.
    Yes .. knowing your camera and working within its limits are very important. This is something that a lot of newbies fail to grasp. I suspect some of them don't even read the manual, by the type of questions you get here in CS sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    Yes .. knowing your camera and working within its limits are very important. This is something that a lot of newbies fail to grasp. I suspect some of them don't even read the manual, by the type of questions you get here in CS sometimes
    apparently you're not the only 1 who feels this way....recently the newbie section has become a bit of a spoon-feed column.
    they have the time to post "very funny" questions but no time to read their cam manual or do more self-study on the web...

rather than working within the limits of the cam, why not put it this way like maximzing the full potential of your cam till you decided to upgrade.
    although it might sound smoothing but is the way i progress from:
    p&s-->proconsumer-->entry lvl cam

the learning gap from proconsumer to entry lvl is not as bad as those p&s straight up to dslr.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    apparently you're not the only 1 who feels this way....recently the newbie section has become a bit of a spoon-feed column.
    they have the time to post "very funny" questions but no time to read their cam manual or do more self-study on the web...

rather than working within the limits of the cam, why not put it this way like maximzing the full potential of your cam till you decided to upgrade.
    although it might sound smoothing but is the way i progress from:
    p&s-->proconsumer-->entry lvl cam

the learning gap from proconsumer to entry lvl is not as bad as those p&s straight up to dslr.
    Well, its easier to post here, than try to find the answers elsewhere. That's why! Reading the manual is oh so geeky. Posting here, u get the answers without any effort, and its almost instant. I am not complaining, cause sometimes, most people do not know where or what to look for.

Ok, i admit it, I am a geek....i read all my manuals a few times......

Personally, I don't think its really about pns, prosumer, DLSR or the path to progress. Each one is a tool with different usage for the purpose of capturing a photograph. The basics of photography (composition, lighting, aperture, shutter speed, depth of field, etc) needs to be learned and is very important, more important than learning how to work a camera parts. That's why they are called basic.

Nowadays, the PnS and Prosumer are so powerful. i started not so long ago with film SLR, cause there wasn't much choices (well its only about 10 yrs ago). Anyone could start with a DSLR nowadays, but still need to get the basics right.

Whats wrong if ones spends his own money on things that gives him happiness or satisfaction(no matter he is a professinal or not?). Why should one be offended if an amatuer spends as much money as a pro on his gear. Its his money and he will spend as he sees it fit.... (unless he is stealing your mone)..

its simple, if you can afford it and if you think it will make you happy, then by all means buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by satishvarma View Post
    Whats wrong if ones spends his own money on things that gives him happiness or satisfaction(no matter he is a professinal or not?). Why should one be offended if an amatuer spends as much money as a pro on his gear. Its his money and he will spend as he sees it fit.... (unless he is stealing your mone)..
    JEALOUSY and ENVY

Well, more often than not people buy equipment "because it seems good to have" rather than for a specific need or application. I being one of them in the past, that's before i started rationalising my gear and only bought equipment when there was a specific need.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...G9-Japan.shtml

Hmmm...seems like the G9 is what I should be looking for
    Stop Shopp'in Start Shoot'in
    What's in my Flickr?

Nothing wrong, unless he comes here to post to say that he buy this and that top end stuff, but must now eat grass till next year, or that the photos still turn out crappy, must have gotten a lemon.....

Read the article. All I am saying is that its the photographer and not the camera that turns out stunning photos which tells a story. The camera is a tool, not a miracle

Exactly! What's wrong with someone who has the money to buy a 1DsMKIII just for his hobby?
    What's wrong with someone who has the money to buy a GT3 RS just to drive during the weekend?

Does this guy needs to shoot stunning images with his 1DsMKIII? Does this guy needs to clock under 9 min at the nurburgring nordschleife with his GT3 RS?

Most important is whatever that makes yourself happy.
    Last edited by triotary; 15th May 2008 at 05:15 PM.

hey i actually think taht kent rockwell makes quite a bit of sense. (:

nothing wrong with spending money, it also nothing wrong for us to envy that particular guy. But some, have that stupid impression created by themselves having to tink they are few level better, they feel they are superior and in the mean time reaching out for jobs, spoilts the market and thinks nothing about it after that.

Quote Originally Posted by triotary View Post
    Exactly! What's wrong with someone who has the money to buy a 1DsMKIII just for his hobby?
    What's wrong with someone who has the money to buy a GT3 RS just to drive during the weekend?

Does this guy needs to shoot stunning images with his 1DsMKIII? Does this guy needs to clock under 9 min at the nurburgring nordschleife with his GT3 RS?

Most important is whatever that makes yourself happy.
    not every purchase will make you happy is just that once you start getting inflected with the BBB virus...is a long way out of the trap of consumerism...thats probably the power of advertisements or due to the some of the quality pics being posted here in this forum.
    monkey see monkey do...common trend of typical singaporeans...too much time to waste on our hands liao especially when sg is disaster-free...

not every purchase will make you happy is just that once you start getting inflected with the BBB virus...is a long way out of the trap of consumerism...thats probably the power of advertisements or due to the some of the quality pics being posted here in this forum.
    monkey see monkey do...common trend of typical singaporeans...too much time to waste on our hands liao especially when sg is disaster-free...
    Don't understand why we need to beat ourselves (Singaporean) up and generalise this as a unique behaviour? Who are the typical singaporeans? Someone you know? People are almost the same everywhere. You see this kind of behaviour in other countries too.

what is wrong with consumerism? I absolutely love consumerism especially when it comes to camera! Without it, do you think a entry level DSLR would cost only $1500? Do you think a pro DSLR would only cost $3500? Would there even be a prosumer DSLR if not for consumerism?

And like what blive has mentiioned, who is the typical singaporean?

Anyhow, a camera is no longer just a tool for a professional, even thought it is made for one, especially when photography is no longer restricts to just professional photographer (a kid could even take pictures with a simple camera phone). Let's face it, how many people who owns a DSLR actually shoots every picture in RAW? Let alone processing every single image in post? How many people actually fully understands what is aperture, shutter speed, 1st shutter curtain, 2nd shutter curtain, exposure, composition, white balance, flash sync, etc. , even before he/she starting taking a picture?

Picture taking is fun and easy since the invention of digital sensor. With consumerism, Isn't it wonderful everybody could buy a camera and enjoy photography now? So don't be bitter when someone just want to buy a 1DsMKIII just for his /her hobby.
    Last edited by triotary; 16th May 2008 at 04:01 PM.

I was going to quote the posts, but then, I will be attacking the poster personally. So, I will be general, at the risk of offending even more people

Lighten up man!! So what, if other photogrpahers have all the appropriate equipment to take the picture, even if they spent a fortune on them, and even if they do not sell the pictures, that they only do if for their passion, and that similar pictures can also be taken with a simple set up, why bitch about it?

There is nothing wrong that some photogrpahers are in it only becasue they are passionate about their hobby. Nothing wrong even if they spent a fortune on their equipment and not even try to do any freelancing.

All I can think of, Equipment Envy?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    I was going to quote the posts, but then, I will be attacking the poster personally. So, I will be general, at the risk of offending even more people

Lighten up man!! So what, if other photogrpahers have all the appropriate equipment to take the picture, even if they spent a fortune on them, and even if they do not sell the pictures, that they only do if for their passion, and that similar pictures can also be taken with a simple set up, why bitch about it?

There is nothing wrong that some photogrpahers are in it only becasue they are passionate about their hobby. Nothing wrong even if they spent a fortune on their equipment and not even try to do any freelancing.

All I can think of, Equipment Envy?
    I hope its not me.....

The article just says that you can take stunning pictures with even the most simplest and

unsophisticated camera. Nothing about equipment superiority. Don't know why people take it to mean as an attack on someone who spend their money on equipment.

i cant help but laugh after reading all the posts.

here i am using a d50 with different lenses, there,my gf using her cam phone . we took the same item at different angles and styles, and i feel so embarrassed a cam phone can win me . equipment ? or lack of skills >

actually, most people out there, wont give a damn as long as they get wht they want. they get their pics in one piece. noise ? they wont bother bout it. its only us who are in this line of hobby or passion or job that notice and talk about it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast