Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 71

Thread: Articles we will all hate!

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,081

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    ha ha ha, i also didnt notice. i suddenly become girl girl liao.
    Heee.....paiseh paiseh....so sorry about that Dennis
    Stop Shopp'in Start Shoot'in
    What's in my Flickr?

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    u remind me of a scene, i saw someone inside the singapore flyer taking night shots of singapore scenery and switching on the flash..
    Quote Originally Posted by ClipperSG View Post
    Its exactly the same scene at the stadium when 10,000 flashes go off when the kick-off starts...hilarious.
    They don't know how to switch off the flash....

    I certainly enjoy KRW's articles, and I still believe its always the photographer behind the camera. The camera is a tool, and every tool has its limits. Having a more sophisticated tool just makes it easier to adjust the conditions. We all need to learn the limits of our gear and work within it. Light manipulation and composition really helps to tell the story you want to convey in your photograph. Which photo illicite your interest?
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  3. #23

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    With reference to the KRW article and similar articles on why equipment does not matter, my question is

    If you are given a near top / top of the line camera of the same brand that you are now using to shoot (whether its a Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony etc), do you think you will produce better pictures as compared to your present camera ?

    If your answer is "No" then it confirms that equipment does not matter and upgrading is just either to boost ego or waste money as some have put it.

    Alternatively, if the answer is "Yes, I will most likely produce better photos", then we are no different from people who buy better equipment for they too believe that their chances of taking better photos increases with better equipment.

    The only difference is those people are prepared to spend that kind of money on their equipment, whereas we are restricted by either budget constraints or mindset to spend that kind of $ on our equipment. How many amongst us, if we can afford it and desires to, buys a D40 if we can afford a D300 ?

    ..

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    With reference to the KRW article and similar articles on why equipment does not matter, my question is

    If you are given a near top / top of the line camera of the same brand that you are now using to shoot (whether its a Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony etc), do you think you will produce better pictures as compared to your present camera ?

    If your answer is "No" then it confirms that equipment does not matter and upgrading is just either to boost ego or waste money as some have put it.

    Alternatively, if the answer is "Yes, I will most likely produce better photos", then we are no different from people who buy better equipment for they too believe that their chances of taking better photos increases with better equipment.

    The only difference is those people are prepared to spend that kind of money on their equipment, whereas we are restricted by either budget constraints or mindset to spend that kind of $ on our equipment. How many amongst us, if we can afford it and desires to, buys a D40 if we can afford a D300 ?

    ..

    Don't understand your question and comment in the 1st few para.

    As for the last para, Uhh I chose a D50 because of its size and compactness. It suits me fine. I also carry a L14 Pns as its the cheapest I can find. Personally, I believe you should spend on a hobby only after you have more than enough for your daily needs. (That meant saving at least 6mths salary aside). I can afford a D300 easily, although I am an unpaid MSc student. Its not to boast, ok?
    Last edited by blive; 12th May 2008 at 05:50 PM.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  5. #25

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    Quote Originally Posted by ClipperSG View Post
    Oh..don't get me wrong..spending on equipment to upgrade is fine by me...but I'm more curious as to the reason behind it.

    If the upgrade helps to improve the shots or enable one to take a new market of shots, that's ok. But if its for equipment whoring purposes, then I think it's just plain ridiculous.

    It is unfortunate that newcomers to this hobby believe that only a DSLR can take proper shots. This is partly due to the influence of equipment whores and pixel counters on this forum. Its sad that a universal hobby like photography has been skewed by them.

    That's why after 3 years, I still refuse to offer any critique on anyone's shots. We each take our own within our own ability and creativeness. There's no right and wrong way of shooting any pictures..and it's certainly not the equipment to blame.
    to be honest, i derive pleasure for a picture well taken and to me, often the ends will justify the means. and i believe there are quite a number of people who think that way as well. if not, people will not be paying through the nose for premium equipment.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,081

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    I for one, have not used a PnS for quite a while. After the past few years of learning about photography, composition, light, angle blah blah blah...., I am seriously considering to buy a PnS with manual override just to see what I can do with one.

    While I hope the results don't come out too disappointing....shall we start a thread where we post pictures taken with PnS cameras?!
    Stop Shopp'in Start Shoot'in
    What's in my Flickr?

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    try using the simplest PnS and see what you can do with it....no manual controls at all...
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  8. #28

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    Don't understand your question and comment in the 1st few para.

    As for the last para, Uhh I chose a D50 because of its size and compactness. It suits me fine. I also carry a L14 Pns as its the cheapest I can find. Personally, I believe you should spend on a hobby only after you have more than enough for your daily needs. (That meant saving at least 6mths salary aside). I can afford a D300 easily, although I am an unpaid MSc student. Its not to boast, ok?

    Its a simple enough question. It is to illustrate that equipment does make a difference as KRW was trying to compare a cheapo cam to an expensive cam .Taking a D50 user like yourself as an example, if you were given a D300 or a D3, i am sure you can produce better pictures, am i not correct ? (btw, I also use a D50 as one of my cameras). So, if we can take better photos with a better camera, then equipment plays a role right ?
    Last edited by zero o; 12th May 2008 at 09:25 PM.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    William Tsoi's album nice mah.. what's wrong to be radical?

    I hate rockwell though, his article quoted here sounds narrow minded.. surgent's knife vs SAK.. how to compare!

  10. #30

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    Went walking around Botanical Gardens last weekend and wow, almost suffered from equipment-envy Hehe. Guess we have much better purchasing power now in recent times, and a lot more people won't really hesitate to spend on their hobbies, i.e. think of it as giving a treat to themselves. It's all a matter of priorities I suppose. I've put off buying a few lenses on my buy-list to save up for a couple of trips the next half of the year but a similarly incentivised person might choose to get the equipment, and splurge on one good trip or maybe next year?

    Not much of an aside but there's this guy in the Macro forums who does wonders with his current setup. It's so totally awesome!
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    Its a simple enough question. It is to illustrate that equipment does make a difference as KRW was trying to compare a cheapo cam to an expensive cam .Taking a D50 user like yourself as an example, if you were given a D300 or a D3, i am sure you can produce better pictures, am i not correct ? (btw, I also use a D50 as one of my cameras). So, if we can take better photos with a better camera, then equipment plays a role right ?
    care to elaborate how, one will produce better pic when using D300/3 as compared to a D50?

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,776

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    Quote Originally Posted by attap seed View Post
    care to elaborate how, one will produce better pic when using D300/3 as compared to a D50?
    Thats a very simple question for me to answer. I see the need in a D3/300 easily and crystal clearly.

    1) Take a D3 and D50 go out and shoot bird, then we walk around and see who can capture well taken birds in flight photos. no matter how good ur skill is with the D40/D50/D60/D70/D70s, its almost impossible to shoot photos of birds in flight for birds such as spider hunters, swallows, sunbirds. Only a minimum D3, or better yet 1d mk 2 or 1d mk 2n or even better yet 1d mk 3 will nail down these fellas.

    Ask kenrockwell to use a point and shoot camera to shoot normal pigeon bird flying, if he can do it i kowtow to him.

    2) Take a normal picture using the D50 and then take a picture using 1ds mk iii or D3, then we blow it up to A0 size. the winner is clear.

    3) Mount the 80-200mm f2.8 lens and 80-400mm vr lens on the D50 and then on the D3. The difference in autofocus speed is again very obvious and definitely helps when shooting sports and events. Autofocus speed is very important in getting all the right candid shots which often pop out unexpectedly.

    4) Again, if u are shooting in dark condition like bars, discos, dense forest, D3 will allow u to focus easily on that person face or bird without focusing back and forth and in the end focusin on the tree branch or disco light. If u are shooting catwalk assignments in night clubs, u will be in trouble if u cant focus fast enough on the model face. They will just pose for a few seconds and turn back.

    You see, better technology clearly have their merits and definitely useful. and they definitely allows u to create better pictures which u otherwise cant. Think ansel adams is great/good and he can take great picture using film camera/pinhole or watever? Think again. For ansel, his type of shoots are mostly static landscapes kind, and i dare to say is unchallenging. what is challenging is thinking of the composition and to time ur shot such that u can get the best lighting effects in ur photo. This is wat is called a masterpiece.
    http://www.anseladams.com/index.asp?...ATS&Category=9 <-- these are what he shoots.
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    of course, we shouldnt be handicapped by using inferior equipment.

    cant tell Armstrong to ride a BMX and compete w other world class riders in tour de france, rite?

    every piece of gear has its use.

    which is more useful? a pistol or a rifle?

    which is better? a sports car or a lorry?

    it all depends on the application.

    but if ppl really wants to blow up their print, perhaps a 120 or large format will be needed.

    for shooting birds, a fast tele and body w precise auto focus will make the job much easier.

    for sweeping landscape, a wide angle, properly stopped down and stabilised on a tripod is essential.

    but simply to assume that by using better equipment, one will automatically take better pics, i dun agree.

    compare a identical scene taken by a competent low end camera and top grade gear, apart from perhaps more pixel count, wat else differentiate the 2? which is which, and which is more superior? if the angle is lousy, then, both are junk.

    apart from equipment, photography is also about seeing, good light, skills, purpose... ...
    Last edited by attap seed; 13th May 2008 at 02:52 AM.

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    Its a simple enough question. It is to illustrate that equipment does make a difference as KRW was trying to compare a cheapo cam to an expensive cam .Taking a D50 user like yourself as an example, if you were given a D300 or a D3, i am sure you can produce better pictures, am i not correct ? (btw, I also use a D50 as one of my cameras). So, if we can take better photos with a better camera, then equipment plays a role right ?
    I am not sure. I haven't use a D300 or a D3. I think you think too highly of me...My photos from the L14 and the D50 looks the same. Its just I have more controls with the D50 and allows me to react faster.

    Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    Thats a very simple question for me to answer. I see the need in a D3/300 easily and crystal clearly.

    1) Take a D3 and D50 go out and shoot bird, then we walk around and see who can capture well taken birds in flight photos. no matter how good ur skill is with the D40/D50/D60/D70/D70s, its almost impossible to shoot photos of birds in flight for birds such as spider hunters, swallows, sunbirds. Only a minimum D3, or better yet 1d mk 2 or 1d mk 2n or even better yet 1d mk 3 will nail down these fellas.
    Like this?

    http://images.blivegc.multiply.com/i...&nmid=73637485
    [D50, 18-200mm VR, 1/2000, F5.6, 200mm]

    Maybe the eagle is too slow... Actually you could also consider predicting where the bird is and shoot there. Its really working within the limits of your gear. With a D3, you have more controls...
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,776

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    Like this?

    http://images.blivegc.multiply.com/i...&nmid=73637485
    [D50, 18-200mm VR, 1/2000, F5.6, 200mm]

    Maybe the eagle is too slow... Actually you could also consider predicting where the bird is and shoot there. Its really working within the limits of your gear. With a D3, you have more controls...
    Acutally i saw 2 dust spots in ur photo... i think u need to clean the sensor le hehe

    I guess u have answered it all - Its really working within the limits of your gear. With a D3, you have more controls...
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    Acutally i saw 2 dust spots in ur photo... i think u need to clean the sensor le hehe

    I guess u have answered it all - Its really working within the limits of your gear. With a D3, you have more controls...
    Yeah, Thanks. I knew. Have done my cleaning earlier last month.... when the dust spots were so clear in the snow...sigh! It was on my sensor.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    maybe those who can afford a D300 have been reading up on this:

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-...d-anything.htm

    i too can afford a d300 is just that i rather not due to the size, weight, 12mp(seldom crop, so no point) and the lvl of expectations ppl have on you with a higher-end body.
    enough money to buy a few d300 but not enough to buy a 2nd hand car....$$$ no enough....
    sick of squeezing mrt every morning to work....
    Last edited by Simon_84; 13th May 2008 at 09:11 AM.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    Thats a very simple question for me to answer. I see the need in a D3/300 easily and crystal clearly.
    Hi kcuf2.. thanks for the comprehensive explanation. We should save that and use it for the next question that comes along about camera comparisons

    Quote Originally Posted by attap seed View Post
    but simply to assume that by using better equipment, one will automatically take better pics, i dun agree.

    apart from equipment, photography is also about seeing, good light, skills, purpose... ...
    Hi attap seed, i give every photographer the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are able to see, judge good light, has the skill etc. as well as the next photographer Without knowing them or seeing their work, who are we to judge that they don't already possess these skills, even worse compartmentalize them as gearheads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    maybe those who can afford a D300 have been reading up on this:

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-...d-anything.htm
    Hi Simon - KRW is controversial. There are those that agree with him and they are those that simply laugh off everything KRW. As to what we choose to shoot with, each one does his own assessment of his own needs, wants and circumstances and decide accordingly. We shouldnt pre-judge people carrying D40s nor should we pre-judge people carrying D300's or D3. One has to decide what is one's priorities in life - and plan and execute accordingly. Some people like to save now , enjoy later, whilst others like to enjoy now, worry later.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    I am not sure. I haven't use a D300 or a D3. I think you think too highly of me...My photos from the L14 and the D50 looks the same. Its just I have more controls with the D50 and allows me to react faster.
    Hi Blive.... neither have i. But i have taken photos with a D50 as well as a D80. Over a wide variety of shooting situations, at least for me, I am able to conclude that the D80 does indeed take better photos, most of the time. I can only imagine what the D300 and the D3 with its newer technology can do. In your case, if you are comparing the L14 and the D50, a well taken picture from both cameras will probably not have much difference, especially at lower ISO, well lighted scenarios. But I dare say, go beyond ISO 400, and the differences will start to emerge.

    ..

  20. #40

    Default Re: Articles we will all hate!

    Thanks TS for sharing... these articles cured my GAS... I'll be happy with my EOS 20D till it dies on me... A camera captures what we see, but we first must SEE...
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •