Thread: Equipment to bring on trip to Cairns.

Default Equipment to bring on trip to Cairns.

Hey there, I'm still quite a greenhorn to photography. Wish I had more time aside from busy busy work to do more photography but have not managed to get the chance.

Anyway, I'll be making a trip to Cairns soon and well, am going to bring along the trusty old D70 with me. I have current 2 lens, the stock 18-50mm lens and a 300mm telephoto. Which of the two should I bring or do I just hack care and bring along two? I won't be backpacking and all, mainly sports activities (which I am not going to bring the camera of course) and sightseeing.

Based on your experiences, what should my best course of action be?

Default Re: Equipment to bring on trip to Cairns.

For me, i think put the tele at home, bring the zoom 18-50mm , extra batt and cards, check sensor dust before go.

Quote Originally Posted by fi5hbone View Post
    Hey there, I'm still quite a greenhorn to photography. Wish I had more time aside from busy busy work to do more photography but have not managed to get the chance.

Anyway, I'll be making a trip to Cairns soon and well, am going to bring along the trusty old D70 with me. I have current 2 lens, the stock 18-50mm lens and a 300mm telephoto. Which of the two should I bring or do I just hack care and bring along two? I won't be backpacking and all, mainly sports activities (which I am not going to bring the camera of course) and sightseeing.

Based on your experiences, what should my best course of action be?
    ah... Cairns... a nice place was there 2+ years back...

well... bring along your 18-50, as you would need a wide angle to take some scenery shots. you can go to the top of a hill where a church is and that is where you can take some nice shots. also, bring a tripod along so that you can take some night shots using long exposure. also, in most churches in Europe, they do not allow flash photography, so the tripod would be helpful.

for me, i'll forget the 300mm lens. the 18-50 would do great... and a tripod
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

Unless you have specific plans for more telephoto work pertaining to ur trip, a 300mm
    (prime?) will probably be an unwanted weight for a typical holiday.

Ryan

Ahh, thanks very much for your help! I'll do just that then! Minus the tripod though. My girlfriend was already making a lot of noise when I wanted to bring the camera.

By the way Ryan, loved your 1/3 day at the zoo thread. Fantastic pictures there.

Sorry to bump this up.

I recently got myself another lens (from Ironman, an awesome gentleman I must add), which is a Nikkor 1.8D 50mm lens. So now I'm torn between bringing my kit lens and the 1.8D. Which do you think I should be bringing? Or both?

Bring both. If you can replace your kit with the D80's kit lens (18-125mm) that'll give you more range.

Usually, I will use my 18-200mm and a 50mm f1.7/1.4 for light travelling.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

bring the 18-50mm. unless you have specific objective for the 300mm, otherwise it will be sitting in the bag throughout.

Thanks. Looks like the telephoto is going to stay at home then.