Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 72

Thread: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

  1. #41
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by fabianaino View Post
    ooopss ... haha .back to lens.
    Just for calebk, compositional quality depends on the creativity of the photographer. If you think that, for that particular angle it's holy and sanely and the best angle you will ever get, by all mean, fire the bullet and kill the backup! By blaming others becoz your works turns out bad just simply means lack of creatitvity is totally unprofessional.

    Anyway, you continue to shoot in your own ideal way and continue to blame something else if you works turns out crap ok. but seriously bro, I tink we should shake hands kiss make up on this.

    For me. I would recompose, it's tough, but I think I will get better pictures. You can't always have the gates open for you whenever you want to right. =)

    Good works don;t come easy and this applies not only to wedding photography.
    whatever it is, the main photographer are task to cover the wedding by the couple or whoever pay the bill.

    If a backup photographer think he can shoot better then the main photographer, STEP forward and take up job, else just let someone do his JOB properly.

    Even you are a backup, you also have to have observe some etiquette, this is call professionalism of a photographer.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  2. #42
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Sorry what do you mean by this? If you don't want to manually set your flash output power, and your flash does not have a dedicated Auto mode with light sensor, then you'd want to leave it on TTL, bounced or direct.
    Do correct me if I am wrong, the TTL function works when you are directing your flash straight ( parallel to the lens ), so that it would "calc" the FLASH output based on factor such as lighting & distance. However if you are using bounced flash those TTL calculation would not be be automatically performed.

  3. #43
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Do correct me if I am wrong, the TTL function works when you are directing your flash straight ( parallel to the lens ), so that it would "calc" the FLASH output based on factor such as lighting & distance. However if you are using bounced flash those TTL calculation would not be be automatically performed.
    no, TTL means the camera read the light thru the lens, doesn't really matter where are the light coming from, on matters on how much light reach the sensor thru the lens.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  4. #44
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    no, TTL means the camera read the light thru the lens, doesn't really matter where are the light coming from, on matters on how much light reach the sensor thru the lens.
    Hmm... TTL Flash calculate the distance based on the light thru the lens which would calc the intensity & zoom required. Hence with you are using bounce flash ( pointing up/side) the TTL Flash function would not take to effect. Hence an external TTL Flash would not make a difference from an external non-TTL Flash when using bounced function. Just my 2 cents..

  5. #45
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Hmm... TTL Flash calculate the distance based on the light thru the lens which would calc the intensity & zoom required. Hence with you are using bounce flash ( pointing up/side) the TTL Flash function would not take to effect. Hence an external TTL Flash would not make a difference from an external non-TTL Flash when using bounced function. Just my 2 cents..
    Nope... try it and you'll understand better.

    TTL, means no matter where the light comes from, be it top, side or any othr direction, the camera will meter the amount of light which enters thru the lens.

    Nikon's AWL is a very good example of this TTL. I can place multiple flashes around my subject and still get proper exposure using iTTL as the pre-flash is captured by the camera and tells the flash(s) how much power to use to get a proper exposure.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  6. #46
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Nope... try it and you'll understand better.

    TTL, means no matter where the light comes from, be it top, side or any othr direction, the camera will meter the amount of light which enters thru the lens.

    Nikon's AWL is a very good example of this TTL. I can place multiple flashes around my subject and still get proper exposure using iTTL as the pre-flash is captured by the camera and tells the flash(s) how much power to use to get a proper exposure.
    Curious, you means that when using TTL there would be a pre-flash so that the camera "know" how much power to use... I am using a FL36 ( TTL Flash from Olympus ), it does not seem to have fire a pre-flash before every shots that I made...

  7. #47
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Curious, you means that when using TTL there would be a pre-flash so that the camera "know" how much power to use... I am using a FL36 ( TTL Flash from Olympus ), it does not seem to have fire a pre-flash before every shots that I made...
    during the film days, light may read from the film surface when they enter the camera thru the lens, so the camera able to react instantly, but for DSLR, light won't be able to do on the sensor, so the solution is PRE flash.

    anyway, the pre flash is barely noticeable, unlike the Nikon AWL set up.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #48
    Deregistered fabianaino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Orchard
    Posts
    1,454

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Curious, you means that when using TTL there would be a pre-flash so that the camera "know" how much power to use... I am using a FL36 ( TTL Flash from Olympus ), it does not seem to have fire a pre-flash before every shots that I made...
    I am not sure for Olympus but Nikon's flash such as sb-600 and sb-800 do have preflash to measure the amount of light on the subject ( TTL ) thru the lens, the camera will then decide how much optimium flash to fire and then send a signal to the flash again and then the flash would fire again. All these are done when the flash is switch to TTL mode.

    Also, I believe whether the flash is directed or bonced, it measures the light on the subject the same way.

    Just for fun you can try and borrow a nikon camera from your friend with either a SB600 or SB 800; use direct flash towards the object u are metering and after that a bounced flash metering on the same subject.

    Try to notice this, when you use bounced flash, you might noticed a very inaudible pop sound compare to when you use direct flash. That's because in bounced flash. the flash mode need to work harder in order to light up the subject due to the fact that the flash is now bounced off from somewhere else and the power is scattered over a larger area.

    The bounced flash sucks lotsa power from the battery if the area you are shooting is large, hence most people brings more flash batteries in case of such cases. =)

  9. #49
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    during the film days, light may read from the film surface when they enter the camera thru the lens, so the camera able to react instantly, but for DSLR, light won't be able to do on the sensor, so the solution is PRE flash.

    anyway, the pre flash is barely noticeable, unlike the Nikon AWL set up.
    Not noticeable to us... but some of the butterflies are pretty much spooked...
    Haiz..
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  10. #50

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    hi all,

    i'm still trying hard to get familiarise with my flash unit.
    the only confusion right now is, do i still meter the subject the same way?

    i.e: i went for my cousin's wedding dinner at the hotel. i was trying to shoot things ard. but even when i opened up to f3.5, i would still need a shutter speed of 1/8. which is undesirable for hand held shots.

    so my question is, when i'm using my sb-600, does it mean that my camera metering only applies to the environment and my sb-600 will take care of the exposure of my subject?

    i'm not sure if u guys understand my question but i'm sorry if i'm making it confusing.

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by fabianaino View Post
    ooopss ... haha .back to lens.
    Just for calebk, compositional quality depends on the creativity of the photographer. If you think that, for that particular angle it's holy and sanely and the best angle you will ever get, by all mean, fire the bullet and kill the backup! By blaming others becoz your works turns out bad just simply means lack of creatitvity is totally unprofessional.

    Anyway, you continue to shoot in your own ideal way and continue to blame something else if you works turns out crap ok. but seriously bro, I tink we should shake hands kiss make up on this.

    For me. I would recompose, it's tough, but I think I will get better pictures. You can't always have the gates open for you whenever you want to right. =)

    Good works don;t come easy and this applies not only to wedding photography.
    I am not interested in playing the blame game. You have not even seen me work, so I suggest you don't accuse my works of being crappy. In any case, who appointed YOU judge or jury?

    Take the tea ceremony as one example. There is really more or less only one way (with slight variations, depending on how the ceremony is set up physically) to get the establishing shot of both the couple, and the relatives, and if the unpaid photographer does get in the way, what do I do, creatively cut out a relative in the process? It is easy to say the main photographer can move and he should not blame the back up for whatever goes wrong, but as catchlights said, there has to be mutual respect and professionalism.

    catchlights has pretty much summed up what I meant to say that was seemingly so hard to understand.

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    whatever it is, the main photographer are task to cover the wedding by the couple or whoever pay the bill.

    If a backup photographer think he can shoot better then the main photographer, STEP forward and take up job, else just let someone do his JOB properly.

    Even you are a backup, you also have to have observe some etiquette, this is call professionalism of a photographer.
    Last edited by calebk; 15th May 2008 at 12:52 AM.

  12. #52
    Deregistered fabianaino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Orchard
    Posts
    1,454

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I am not interested in playing the blame game. You have not even seen me work, so I suggest you don't accuse my works of being crappy. In any case, who appointed YOU judge or jury?

    Take the tea ceremony as one example. There is really more or less only one way (with slight variations, depending on how the ceremony is set up physically) to get the establishing shot of both the couple, and the relatives, and if the unpaid photographer does get in the way, what do I do, creatively cut out a relative in the process? It is easy to say the main photographer can move and he should not blame the back up for whatever goes wrong, but as catchlights said, there has to be mutual respect and professionalism.

    catchlights has pretty much summed up what I meant to say that was seemingly so hard to understand.

    Hi Bro,

    What I can conclude is that we do have differing opinions. I am sure you have your own ideas and style when you shoot. I guess we just take different approaches to look at things.

    Many a times we think that there's very little possbility to see things, we limit ourselves in some ways.

    Just for some cordial banter; once I was photographing at little india and happened to looked up to a window on a 2nd level of a two level storey shophouse. It was quite early in the morning and this uncle walked towards me and then started looking in the same direction as I was looking, after awhile, he turned to me and cheekily asked me what I saw coz from where he was standing he cannot see anybody behind the window. I was bewildered and told him that I wasn't looking out for people behind the window; I was looking at the reflections from the window glass panel !!!

    true I may not seen your works, they could be better or worse than what I tot. From your prose I could sensed steadfastness. Perhaps if you like , you can drop me a PM and we can discuss more? Let's leave the thread to what the TS intended shall we. =)

  13. #53
    Deregistered fabianaino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Orchard
    Posts
    1,454

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by Liangerism View Post
    hi all,

    i'm still trying hard to get familiarise with my flash unit.
    the only confusion right now is, do i still meter the subject the same way?

    i.e: i went for my cousin's wedding dinner at the hotel. i was trying to shoot things ard. but even when i opened up to f3.5, i would still need a shutter speed of 1/8. which is undesirable for hand held shots.

    so my question is, when i'm using my sb-600, does it mean that my camera metering only applies to the environment and my sb-600 will take care of the exposure of my subject?

    i'm not sure if u guys understand my question but i'm sorry if i'm making it confusing.
    try shooting with your TTL on in your flash, flash can more or less freeze whatever motion there is at 1/8 =)

  14. #54

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by fabianaino View Post
    try shooting with your TTL on in your flash, flash can more or less freeze whatever motion there is at 1/8 =)
    so u mean the flash will eliminate the camera shake that i will induce on the picture?

  15. #55

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    i started with similar equipement last time, 1 impt lesson i learned, be extra prepared~!! murphy's law always come in on such stuff

    1) Extra Batteries (this mean for both your flash / d80), not sure whether you have the MB80, if you have, just slot 2 batteries in, and you are totally covered, if not just bring the spare batt in your pocket (remember to fully charged all of them), bring extra batteries for your SB600, you never noe when you might need to swap them.

    in the scenario that you only have 1 batt, then you must noe wat settings then you can shoot to maximise the batt life, since you got a SB600, shoot in ard 200 - 400 dpi bah, and dun do unnecessary focusing or playback

    2) As for Memory Cards, try to have spare cards, personally i am using Sandisk Ultra II 2gb (ard 3 pcs), i dun like the idea of using a 4GB card for 1 event, worried that it might just clashed or corrupted on me :P thou so far i am quite lucky to survive all events with no unexpected corruptions etc

    usually once i am left with ard 5 - 10% of memory in my card, i changed card, just incase i there are some stuff /shots that i might missed out later in the event of no memory space.

    as the old saying goes, dun put all your eggs in 1 basket, oh, remember to format your memory cards before the day


    3) get a schedule run-down of what is going to happen, read / ask about the ceremonies, so you know when and where are the impt events gg to be held etc


    if u dunno what to shoot, try looking ard here

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79

    as for the settings, since you are only taking care of the AD morning, i presumed, you can try to go to the bride's house earlier, then take photos of her having make-up / the arrival of the bridemaids etc and use that as a guage for your lighting and settings etc, usually indoors can use bounce flash, but you might need to set your ev settings to get the correct colouring, the white balance etc

    most paid AD photographer wont bother going there too early.. so this period is when you can do testing without any worries of disturbing anyone

    imho, i usually try to take more candid shots, let the AD do the formal shots like group photos etc etc,

    4) ohh, remember to wear comfortable shoes and NEW socks

    5) stick ard the AD photographer and learn from him/her on what is to be taken, and like wat all the other pro ppl here have mentioned, stay out of the camera sights.

    hope my nagging helps in a way or another, hahahah

    ohh, last but not least, have fun~!!!
    [D80][18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G][17-55mm f/2.8G][50mm f/1.8D][85mm f/1.8D][70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G]

  16. #56
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by Liangerism View Post
    so u mean the flash will eliminate the camera shake that i will induce on the picture?
    depends how you want it..
    this is done in deliberately.

    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  17. #57
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by Liangerism View Post
    hi all,

    i'm still trying hard to get familiarise with my flash unit.
    the only confusion right now is, do i still meter the subject the same way?

    i.e: i went for my cousin's wedding dinner at the hotel. i was trying to shoot things ard. but even when i opened up to f3.5, i would still need a shutter speed of 1/8. which is undesirable for hand held shots.

    so my question is, when i'm using my sb-600, does it mean that my camera metering only applies to the environment and my sb-600 will take care of the exposure of my subject?

    i'm not sure if u guys understand my question but i'm sorry if i'm making it confusing.
    during the dinner time, just stick to ISO 800, speed 1/60s (not lower than 1/30s), f5.6 (not always f3.5 unless you want somebody to be out of focus), and use a bounce card, you will be fine.

    never never never never shoot the couple marching in the ballroom side by side with the main photographer, very high chance that BOTH OF YOU will not get any usable photos if you try to do it.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  18. #58
    Deregistered fabianaino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Orchard
    Posts
    1,454

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by Liangerism View Post
    so u mean the flash will eliminate the camera shake that i will induce on the picture?
    ooooo..."eliminate" is a BIG word, I wouldn't use that word even on equipments with the VR badge on as well. Rather it will give a slightly sharper image compared to the one below. But of coz take care to stablize your cam as much as possible.

    Flash can be use to enhance special effects like the one below. It's more interesting than the serious series of images with sharp corners ALL the time . =)

    just to get you MORE interested in flash, there's the front curtian sync and the rear curtain sync in your camera. I use rear curtain more often if not all the time to curb the shake of the long shutter speed and to special effects. =)


    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    depends how you want it..
    this is done in deliberately.


  19. #59

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by kivcarrot View Post
    hope my nagging helps in a way or another, hahahah

    ohh, last but not least, have fun~!!!
    haha.. i'll keep all ur advices in mind! thanks dude. appreciated. and i'll sure have fun!

  20. #60

    Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    during the dinner time, just stick to ISO 800, speed 1/60s (not lower than 1/30s), f5.6 (not always f3.5 unless you want somebody to be out of focus), and use a bounce card, you will be fine.

    never never never never shoot the couple marching in the ballroom side by side with the main photographer, very high chance that BOTH OF YOU will not get any usable photos if you try to do it.
    haha.. this was exactly wat i did for the dinner i attended last sunday. only thing diff was i set my ISO to 1000 and i kept my shutter 1/60 and opened up to F3.5 all the time. and it was already quite under-exposed, so won't F5.6 be too dark, given at that kinda setting?

    and i dunno how to fix a bounce card. sigh......

    anyway, thanks alot for ur advice!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •