Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

Default Re: Equipments for a Wedding Event?

Quote Originally Posted by NeTHaCk View Post
    what i can tell you from my experience with 2 weddings as backup photographer is ... DONT get in the way of the main photographer .. and if you wanna learn more, stick to him

i actually improved thanks to them .

your 18-135mm is seriously sufficient enough. i initially used my 28-70 f2.8, but after a while, i changed to my 18-55kit lens as i needed wider angle.

at least you guys have TTL flash, i was using sb-24 manual all the way! bouncing flash, no time to worry if under or overexposed.

like everyone said, extra batteries and memory card!!!!! very important! i shot 444 pics ( unluck number huh ? ) on my friend's wedding , and 758 pics on my cousin's wedding. batts went flat fast and i had to use my prosumer as a backup...

btw, i shot using RAW+Basic
    If you are using bounced flash most of the time, you don't need TTL flash.

sorry for my ignorance....

what's a bounced flash?
    is it the same as my omni-bounce that i used for my flash unit?

Just to add a little about getting in the way of the main photographer since a few have already advised.

1) While shooting tea ceremony or snap shots, do not stand opposite to the photographer (ie. the couple in between both of you). Unless you want to appear in every single shot of the main photographer together with the couple. This is a mistake that many hobbyist tend to make.

2) If you're standing next or behind him, make sure its not too close, as sudden side or backward movements from the main photographer will likely to collide into your lens. That will get in his way. Ensure that you move fast enough so that the main photographer have free movement without any obstruction.

what i can tell you from my experience with 2 weddings as backup photographer is ... DONT get in the way of the main photographer .. and if you wanna learn more, stick to him.
    Another approach I can suggest is: Where ever the photographer goes, you don't go. Go somewhere else, then can capture more of the event. No point have 2 sets of photos of the same things.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Sorry what do you mean by this? If you don't want to manually set your flash output power, and your flash does not have a dedicated Auto mode with light sensor, then you'd want to leave it on TTL, bounced or direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Liangerism View Post
    sorry for my ignorance....

what's a bounced flash?
    is it the same as my omni-bounce that i used for my flash unit?
    Bounced flash is simply not aiming your flash head on at the subject, but at the ceiling (most common) or a wall, in order to get a more natural looking result.

[QUOTE=Headshotzx;4004470]Yeah! Like for example.. my uncle shot my aunt's wedding about 20 years ago.. he went through 3 rolls of film, only to realise that the lens cap was on throughout the event.
    QUOTE]

obviously he's not using a SLR

alright guys..

thanks for all the info and suggestions...

the only prob is i'm not familiar with the flash unit yet.
    so i'm not sure if i could fully utilised my sb-600. haha..
    Since it's your first wedding attempt, Just switch the flash to TTL mode and P mode in your camera.

Fancy DOF or long shutter speed? Do it after your first wedding photography attempt.
    Baby steps.. =)

bring at least 2 batteries or if you are trigger happy, bring 3.
    Sb-600 ... abt 220 shots using 2800 rechargables, since you are shooting day event, bring extra set of batteries for flash just in case.

Rememeber power is VERY important, best to have bad pictures than NO pictures. =)

Good luck. =)

Bounced flash is simply not aiming your flash head on at the subject, but at the ceiling (most common) or a wall, in order to get a more natural looking result.[/QUOTE]

Thanks dude!

Quote Originally Posted by fabianaino View Post
    Since it's your first wedding attempt, Just switch the flash to TTL mode and P mode in your camera.

Fancy DOF or long shutter speed? Do it after your first wedding photography attempt.
    Baby steps.. =)

bring at least 2 batteries or if you are trigger happy, bring 3.
    Sb-600 ... abt 220 shots using 2800 rechargables, since you are shooting day event, bring extra set of batteries for flash just in case.

Rememeber power is VERY important, best to have bad pictures than NO pictures. =)

Good luck. =)

haha... alright! i'll keep ur words in mind.
    thanks alot dude. i'll definitely need alot of good luck! haha..

[QUOTE=fabianaino;4008557]
    Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    Yeah! Like for example.. my uncle shot my aunt's wedding about 20 years ago.. he went through 3 rolls of film, only to realise that the lens cap was on throughout the event.
    QUOTE]

obviously he's not using a SLR
    Might have been a rangefinder...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

what i can tell you from my experience with 2 weddings as backup photographer is ... DONT get in the way of the main photographer .. and if you wanna learn more, stick to him

i actually improved thanks to them .

your 18-135mm is seriously sufficient enough. i initially used my 28-70 f2.8, but after a while, i changed to my 18-55kit lens as i needed wider angle.

at least you guys have TTL flash, i was using sb-24 manual all the way! bouncing flash, no time to worry if under or overexposed.

like everyone said, extra batteries and memory card!!!!! very important! i shot 444 pics ( unluck number huh ? ) on my friend's wedding , and 758 pics on my cousin's wedding. batts went flat fast and i had to use my prosumer as a backup...

btw, i shot using RAW+Basic
    with SB 24, you still able to set the flash at A mode, why go on manual flash mode? you are wasting lot of flash battery power.

beside, it is very important to get the exposure correct or very close for every single shot you shoot. or else you are like anyhow humtum.

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    not sure why you make such a statement, care to elaborate?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    Just to add a little about getting in the way of the main photographer since a few have already advised.

1) While shooting tea ceremony or snap shots, do not stand opposite to the photographer (ie. the couple in between both of you). Unless you want to appear in every single shot of the main photographer together with the couple. This is a mistake that many hobbyist tend to make.

2) If you're standing next or behind him, make sure its not too close, as sudden side or backward movements from the main photographer will likely to collide into your lens. That will get in his way. Ensure that you move fast enough so that the main photographer have free movement without any obstruction.
    Yes, agree with this, and this is very important, which I call photographers shooting each other during a wedding.

some pros will remind you, some may yell at you, many will just leave you in the photos. so the backup photographers end up appear in a lot of photos beside the bride and groom.

and yes, the main photographer might miss some shots cause of being obstruct, not every single shot can ask for re do, the couples wanted more photos, in the end may get less photos instead.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by jetfynn View Post
    Your equipment as it is is sufficient for a wedding.

Jus don't get in the way of the main photographer and also the videographer if there's any.

Note:

Stay close to the main photographer and learn from him. Since you are the "unofficial" photographer, relax and really observe what does the main photographer do in the wedding. (Provided the main photographer that you mentioned is a seasoned pro.)

Remember, back-up batteries & memory cards.

Also, check your camera settings. Always use the highest resolution available. ie: Fine - L or RAW.

(Heard of a newbie photographer who used a DSLR and produced more than 1000++ shots using only a 1 GB card.) Huh?
    yup...i agree...do not block the main photographer or you are going to get KNS by him. Also be careful, not to go opposite of him in the shoot (meaning that you are standing facing him, where he actually took the shoot with you inside the photos....that's what we dun want actually). Especially if you are taking the shoot where couple doing yum seng every table, you can rest and let the main photographer take. Or you can go take candid shoots instead.

also be careful of the reflection of mirror. Restaurant tends to put a lot of mirrors to make their hall spacious. So take note of where you stand....the safest, just stand next to the main photographer. Then you wouldn't "accidentally" featured inside their wedding photos.

ok..if you are ok and knows how to control your camera exposure, its always better to shoot in JPG (avoid RAW at all cause). This is because RAW one file is almost 10MB...a 4G CF card can only store 300+ pictures...which is not enough....unless you have more spare CF card and backup HD....use JPG instead.

if the main photographer is seasoned, he will avoid having the backup photorapher in his shots. The photographer take snote of not only the bride and groom, but also the rest of the nitty gritty details which others fail to see. That's how "WOW" photos turn out.

As a backup photographer, dun blame yourself too much IF you are inside the photos. They should even feature the photos if you are not part of it. =)

if the main photographer is seasoned, he will avoid having the backup photorapher in his shots. The photographer take snote of not only the bride and groom, but also the rest of the nitty gritty details which others fail to see. That's how "WOW" photos turn out.

As a backup photographer, dun blame yourself too much IF you are inside the photos. They should even feature the photos if you are not part of it. =)
    Both should be responsible for it. If the backups get in the way in such a way that the main photographer cannot avoid him/her, without compromising compositional value of the photo, then the onus is on the non-paid photographer to get out of the way.

I have seen photos which was featured in the portfolio with the photographer's own shadow in the picture. Is the lighting to be responsible or was it that the photographer did not notice even during his workflow?

If a photographer cannot switch lens fast enough to capture the scene, can he blame his equipments? Or is the photographer just not competent enough to do so quickly?

I wouldn't place the fault to the backup or even granny with a PNS shooting. Doing as such is irresponsible. If the backup can move around, goodness, so can the main photographer.

There are always angles where you can shoot to keep the unwanted away or during workflow, cropping.

Infact I wouldn't even mind having an occasion or two where backup uncles and aunties with their cutesy PNS kept in the shots to give a different feel to the over copied sequence flow of photos. =)

Stop blaming others when the job's badly done.

*not offensive intended guys*

Once again, the thread is going off topic: From what equipment, to what to do/not do as a back-up photographer. Personally, I don't see why this whole thing has to be so complicated. For a newbie 2nd photographer, any gear will do. You're not there to compete with the main photographer. In fact, I say you can even shoot with a Lomo! In fact, it could even be ideal.

And just for the sake of completing the arguement, I am of the opinion that the back-up photog should NOT shadow the main photographer. You may not be getting in his way, but you could well be cramping his style. Not to sound too "atas", but it gets a bit annoying to have someone sticking next to you all the time.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

I have seen photos which was featured in the portfolio with the photographer's own shadow in the picture. Is the lighting to be responsible or was it that the photographer did not notice even during his workflow?

If a photographer cannot switch lens fast enough to capture the scene, can he blame his equipments? Or is the photographer just not competent enough to do so quickly?

I wouldn't place the fault to the backup or even granny with a PNS shooting. Doing as such is irresponsible. If the backup can move around, goodness, so can the main photographer.

There are always angles where you can shoot to keep the unwanted away or during workflow, cropping.

Infact I wouldn't even mind having an occasion or two where backup uncles and aunties with their cutesy PNS kept in the shots to give a different feel to the over copied sequence flow of photos. =)

Stop blaming others when the job's badly done.

*not offensive intended guys*
    If everyone did think like that, gosh, the world would be an inconsiderate place.

I did clearly state that it is the back up photographer's fault if the back up gets in the way, such that it compromises compositional quality of the photo. Perhaps you failed to understand this.

For instance, in order to cut out the back up photographer, the main has to frame the photo awkwardly (cut off subject at a joint, cut off shoulder etc.), then the back up is a compromise to getting the job done. Since the back up is not in any danger of facing negative consequences should he mess the shot up, but the paid photographer is, what do you think the priority is here?

oh no.... what have i done for posting this thread?

oh no.... what have i done for posting this thread?
    ooopss ... haha .back to lens.
    Just for calebk, compositional quality depends on the creativity of the photographer. If you think that, for that particular angle it's holy and sanely and the best angle you will ever get, by all mean, fire the bullet and kill the backup! By blaming others becoz your works turns out bad just simply means lack of creatitvity is totally unprofessional.

Anyway, you continue to shoot in your own ideal way and continue to blame something else if you works turns out crap ok. but seriously bro, I tink we should shake hands kiss make up on this.

For me. I would recompose, it's tough, but I think I will get better pictures. You can't always have the gates open for you whenever you want to right. =)

Good works don;t come easy and this applies not only to wedding photography.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast