Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Pentax 16-45 f4 or Pentax 43mm

  1. #1

    Default Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Pentax 16-45 f4 or Pentax 43mm

    I have a friend who might be flying to HK for vacation(pending manager approval) and I might ask her to buy my second lens there. Right now I am looking at 3 lenses.

    Pentax 16-45 F4
    Pros:
    16mm is a plus for landscape
    Not much reported problems.

    Cons:
    Only up to 45mm

    Tamron 17-50 2.8
    Pros:
    2.8 aperture
    Longer than the 16-45

    Cons:
    Not much reviews.

    Pentax 43mm(Silver)
    Pros:
    1.9 aperture
    I love the way it looks
    Lighter
    I want to experience shooting using a prime

    Cons:
    Need to switch back to kit lens if I need to go wide.


    When I use the kit lens I usually use 50mm or 43mm. Then switch to 18mm for group shots. I have a flash so low light shooting is not a priority. I usually use my camera 3 times a month for events or when I join my friend for shooting at night.

    What can you guys recommend as my second lens?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Pentax 16-45 f4 or Pentax 43mm

    No experience with any of the above.

    Maybe you could get a 50mm f1.4? That's what I got after my kit lens. Low light photography with flash looks terrible, unless you have external flash and bounce.

    Besides, it's rather cheap at around $300+, and most folks here will say it's a must in every Pentaxian's lens collection.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Pentax 16-45 f4 or Pentax 43mm

    Quote Originally Posted by le petit prince View Post
    No experience with any of the above.

    Maybe you could get a 50mm f1.4? That's what I got after my kit lens. Low light photography with flash looks terrible, unless you have external flash and bounce.

    Besides, it's rather cheap at around $300+, and most folks here will say it's a must in every Pentaxian's lens collection.
    Yes it's a must have. I too have one sitting in my dry cabinet. Noy even out of the box. Gonna give it up after I get my 43mm.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Beijing, Shuangjing
    Posts
    1,213

    Default Re: Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Pentax 16-45 f4 or Pentax 43mm

    I have used the DA 16-45 F4 for more than a year before upgrading to the DA*16-50. It is a very good lens, distortion, flare and vigetting is pretty well controlled. I have taken a lot of nice shots with this lens, you can check it out in my webby. My main gripe will be the lens will extend at wide settings. Apart from that its a good lens.

    I have no experience with the Tamron, but I think one of our CSer just got it. Majority of CSers here prefer the Sigma 17-70 F2.8-F4.5 for versitality, especially for street shooting.

    As for the 43mm, I choose to get the DA 40mm instead. Its cheaper, smaller and focusing should be slightly faster than the 43mm. But the 43mm is F1.9 and the DA 40 is F2.8, so you have an advantage of an extra stop if you shooting in low light or if you need a shallower depth of field.

    If you are buying from Hong Kong, I suggest get any of the pancake lens. Its harder to find in Singapore at most times, for the other lens its easier to get except for the Tamron. AFAIK I have not seen any shops selling it in Singapore.
    Pentaxian for life ! My Webby
    K-X, DA70mm F2.4. DA 35mm F2.4, DA 18-135 WR

  5. #5

    Default Re: Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Pentax 16-45 f4 or Pentax 43mm

    @le petit prince
    I have an external flash.

    I also like shooting at 50 but I find 43 more useable. I have not tried shooting at 35 though.

    @art2d2
    I also like the 16-50 but I find it a bit expensive and I am afraid of the QA issues(especially if I will be buying in HK).

  6. #6
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Pentax 16-45 f4 or Pentax 43mm

    I would wait for the new SDM only DA 17-70mm f/4 for a walkaround zoom.
    I would suggest the new DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro for a general purpose prime.

  7. #7
    Member scorpioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Pentax 16-45 f4 or Pentax 43mm

    Review in photozone has reported the fa 43 has harsh bokeh. Thats the only gripe imho.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Pentax 16-45 f4 or Pentax 43mm

    @creampuff
    The Pentax 17-70 was my initial plan but not released as of now. Any news on when it will be released?

  9. #9
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Pentax 16-45 f4 or Pentax 43mm

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    Review in photozone has reported the fa 43 has harsh bokeh. Thats the only gripe imho.
    Hmmm, really???
    Don't know if you have used this lens or not but from my personal experience and I'm sure from many others who have owned this lens, the judgement is the FA 43 gives very lovely bokeh and photographs have a very 3D look to it. The colour rendition from this lens is very, very good.

    I think the review said:
    "the bokeh (out-of-focus blur) can look a little harsh in certain situations"

    I'd suggest you give the lens a try and take a subjective issue about bokeh with some personal evaluation.


    K100D FA 43 1/250 sec at f/2
    Last edited by creampuff; 12th May 2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: typo

  10. #10
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Pentax 16-45 f4 or Pentax 43mm

    Quote Originally Posted by alanpotpot View Post
    @creampuff
    The Pentax 17-70 was my initial plan but not released as of now. Any news on when it will be released?
    Perhaps in a few months time. I'm also quite interested in this lens.
    BTW I have a new FA43 up for sale if you're interested.

  11. #11
    Member scorpioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Pentax 16-45 f4 or Pentax 43mm

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Hmmm, really???
    Don't know if you have used this lens or not but from my personal experience and I'm sure from many others who have owned this lens, the judgement is the FA 43 gives very lovely bokeh and photographs have a very 3D look to it. The colour rendition from this lens is very, very good.

    I think the review said:
    "the bokeh (out-of-focus blur) can look a little harsh in certain situations"

    I'd suggest you give the lens a try and take a subjective issue about bokeh with some personal evaluation.


    K100D FA 43 1/250 sec at f/2
    Yeah, think missed out the " certain", cos its always bugging me. Ha. for clean background, should be quite ok.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Pentax 16-45 f4 or Pentax 43mm

    If I were you, will go for 16-45 now, and + 43le latter.

    If you expecting many portrait shots, you can go for 16-45 now, and +DA70 latter on.

    If with tight budget, go for Sigma 17-70, + 50/1.4 latter on.

    Just my 2 cents, either way i will give tamron 17-50 a pass.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •