Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlurQueen78 View Post
    Do anyone know of any good write ups on the different kind of filters and its uses?
    wikipedia has a basic one, but it will not spoonfeed you entirely either

    i.e. it will tell you what a filter does, but it won't tell you like "if sunny and very bright, please use nd filter if shooting towards the sun with large aperture." for something much more comprehensive and consolidated, why not go straight to the source? hoya has a website which tells you what you can use each filter for.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    yeah lor. i also need some good references on filters.
    maybe have to go bookshop or amazon buy book on fliters liao lor.
    i want to get some exotic filters.
    my current 10.5mm fish eye is damn shiok.
    but cannot fit filters.
    sighs.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    wikipedia has a basic one, but it will not spoonfeed you entirely either

    i.e. it will tell you what a filter does, but it won't tell you like "if sunny and very bright, please use nd filter if shooting towards the sun with large aperture." for something much more comprehensive and consolidated, why not go straight to the source? hoya has a website which tells you what you can use each filter for.
    Thanks... will go read up on the site... ... hopefully can give me some background .....

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanFreak View Post
    yeah lor. i also need some good references on filters.
    maybe have to go bookshop or amazon buy book on fliters liao lor.
    i want to get some exotic filters.
    my current 10.5mm fish eye is damn shiok.
    but cannot fit filters.
    sighs.
    Usually these ultra-wide or fisheye lenses uses gelatin filters that slot at the rear of the lens.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlurQueen78 View Post
    Thanks... will go read up on the site... ... hopefully can give me some background .....
    Found this on the net ... http://www.garryblack.com/filters-1.htm
    pretty good overview...

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    Hey QUeen, thats an excellent resource. im reading up on it. i think filters really are the next step to go and to experiment. there's loads on IR filters and a whole IR group at ClubSnap. Amazing!

  7. #27

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    Hi,

    i'm in alaska, and i've problems taking pictures of snow-capped mountains and the landscape. either the landscape is underexposed, or the skies are overexposed.

    does a GND help in this case? what would be a recommended fliter for this application?

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Yio Chu Kang
    Posts
    196

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    Quote Originally Posted by kianhock View Post
    Hi,

    i'm in alaska, and i've problems taking pictures of snow-capped mountains and the landscape. either the landscape is underexposed, or the skies are overexposed.

    does a GND help in this case? what would be a recommended fliter for this application?
    Yes, for your case, use a GND. Make sure that the darker portion covers the sky portion.

    For the casual user like myself, I'd recommend getting:

    1. UV Haze (Act as protection and for cutting through scenery with light haze)
    2. ND2 or ND4 (For strong sunny weather conditions like these days)
    3. CPL (For scenery and landscapes in moderate lighting to sunny conditions. If too sunny, use with an ND together.)
    Sony ɑ55V || Sony 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 || Minolta 28mm F2.8 || Minolta 50mm F1.4 || Minolta 70-210mm F4

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    UVs and CPLs are a must have. And after using so many types, it is B+W or nothing.

    If you are into landscape, Grad ND will be useful. Of course, you can reproduce close to that effect in PP
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  10. #30
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    If you are into landscape, Grad ND will be useful. Of course, you can reproduce close to that effect in PP
    If u blow out the highlights of the skies horribly in one shot, it is unlikely ( that even the raw ) can salvage much. GND is very much useful in landscape shots. I use it more often than CPL.

    Ryan

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    If u blow out the highlights of the skies horribly in one shot, it is unlikely ( that even the raw ) can salvage much. GND is very much useful in landscape shots. I use it more often than CPL.

    Ryan
    Yup agree... trouble with this type of filter is you need a filter holder setup and its $$$
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  12. #32

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    hi,

    thanks you so much for the replies.

    what is a fliter setup? and how much does it cost?

    I'm thinking of getting a B W 2 stop GND. any recommendations or opinions on this?

    i'm using a 20D with 10-22mm, having a nikon CPL n a Kenko (W) UV fliter.
    Last edited by kianhock; 15th May 2008 at 05:15 PM.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    Quote Originally Posted by kianhock View Post
    hi,

    thanks you so much for the replies.

    what is a fliter setup? and how much does it cost?

    I'm thinking of getting a B W 2 stop GND. any recommendations or opinions on this?

    i'm using a 20D with 10-22mm, having a nikon CPL n a Kenko (W) UV fliter.
    Lee filter setup you can get from CP is $300+
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  14. #34

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Lee filter setup you can get from CP is $300+
    wah.... so expensive... any cheaper stuff?

    or can i just attach the B + W GND on the lens n shoot?

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    Quote Originally Posted by kianhock View Post
    wah.... so expensive... any cheaper stuff?

    or can i just attach the B + W GND on the lens n shoot?
    GNDs typically need filter holders as they are rectangular in shapes... so you still need to invest in such setup
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  16. #36

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    GNDs typically need filter holders as they are rectangular in shapes... so you still need to invest in such setup
    may i ask... what about tianya... or corkin filter setups or filters?
    is b&w filters really in a whole league of its own?

    how about get a tainya filter holder... to hold a B&w?

  17. #37
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ClubSNAP community
    Posts
    2,775

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    For the casual hobbyist, Tianya filters are cheap and good enough.

    Personally, I have ND400s (screw-on 77mm), Tianya holder and a collection of graduated color filters, Grad ND, ND8, Circular Polariser, Soft, and a couple more weird stuff that I'd forgotten about (stopped using them 2+ years back).

  18. #38

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    For the casual hobbyist, Tianya filters are cheap and good enough.

    Personally, I have ND400s (screw-on 77mm), Tianya holder and a collection of graduated color filters, Grad ND, ND8, Circular Polariser, Soft, and a couple more weird stuff that I'd forgotten about (stopped using them 2+ years back).
    but it is possible to get a b&w to install into tianya filter holder?

    not like i have to get another kind of holder to specially hold other filter right?
    300+ for holder setup is like wow...

  19. #39
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ClubSNAP community
    Posts
    2,775

    Default Re: Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

    Quote Originally Posted by milkc View Post
    but it is possible to get a b&w to install into tianya filter holder?

    not like i have to get another kind of holder to specially hold other filter right?
    300+ for holder setup is like wow...
    Take a look at your B+W, is it 83mm x 99mm? If so, it might be able to slot into the TianYa/Cokin holders. If not..... oops.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •